Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, after doing 200 miles in the pouring rain in 40 degree weather, I've decided two things. One, the bark busters are staying on the Bandit. Two, I need grip heaters.

I've seen lots of grip heater discussion in these threads, but I've always skimmed past it and not paid attention, because I wasnt interested in them at the time.

What are some good grip heaters? What should I be looking for that makes one set better than another?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

8ender posted:

What does everyone here do for storing a bike for the winter? Its starting to get too cold to ride here without assuming the "lay across the bike and hug the engine for warmth" position so I think its time to put it away until spring. I have a nice converted chicken coop to store it in.

I generally (even on my 2-strokes) put stabil in the tank, run it till the stabil is in the carbs, then put it up on stands. I leave the gas and stabil in the carbs.

Oxygen + old carbs = mess to clean up in the spring.

Same for the tank. I always fill them to the brim just before I park them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Polynomial posted:

engine breaking: engine breaking?

Bob Morales posted:

engine breaking

HOLY gently caress :argh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Logite posted:

I had my bike up for sale a while back and got this e-mail:

I decided to keep my bike, but if I needed some spare cash how good of an idea is this?

Are you honestly asking how good of an idea it is to lease a bike to a stranger?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Heres a question. The Bandit doesnt have a clock, and this bugs me. I see plenty of stick-on battery operated clocks. Those are all well and good, but I do a significant amount of night riding.

What I want, and I know this is asking alot, is a clock with a backlight powered by the bike that would go on and off with the ignition.

Does such an animal exist?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro posted:

Yes, but they're usually integrated with voltmeters and thermometers.

Thats fine, actually, as long as I can leave it in clock mode and have the backlight come on when I turn the key.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Yes. Set up a relay box like I linked to earlier and find a backlit watch that'll take 12vs. I'd recommend a bicycle computer, actually, because it'll probably be cheap and easy to come by.

I'm actually going to buy the parts for the relay junction box at radio shack today.

Phy posted:

Yeah, the instrument panel for the Super Sherpa.

What now?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Noice, nearest Cycle Gear is two states away :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm pretty indifferent to Bridgestones. I've had Battlaxes on a few bikes, and I havent been really disappointed or impressed by them. The only tires I really hate on are Dunlops. I've never had a set that I liked.

The best tires I've ever had were the Pilot Powers on my GSXR. My Bandit has a set of Battlaxes on it currently, and I'm extremely "meh" about them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know its not a question, but this isnt worth its own thread.

Holy gently caress this is a steal if you dont mind doing some wrenching.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/872904041.html

Thats a fuckload of bike for not much dough.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vidaeus posted:

I have a 2006 Honda VTR250 and want to be able to jack the bike up so chain maintenance etc is easier. I bought a rear wheel paddock stand similar to this and the matching knob thingies that you screw into your swingarm. However, when I got home, I realised that there is no place for me to screw the little knob things in. I have since returned the rear wheel jack and the knobs.

I'd really like for some way to jack the bike up, whether its the whole bike or just the rear wheel but I'm not sure what my options are. I am new to bikes so I don't have much of an idea what I can do. Any thoughts?

You can actually use the stand you linked without the bobbins (the knob thingies). It just supports the bottom of the swingarm.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vidaeus posted:

Thanks for the replies. The stand I linked to isn't exactly the same as the one I bought; I'm not sure if it had the padded plates that go under the swingarm. The guy at the shop told me I needed those bobbins with it so I'm guessing I probably couldn't use that particular model.

I saw a "Dirt bike jack" at my local auto shop that looks like it goes under the centre of the bike, but I'm not sure if my VTR250 is designed to be jacked up at that point as its the bottom of the engine block. Anyone have any more experience?

As long as the exhaust isnt under there, you'll probably be fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I rode for 200 miles in the rain in my Joe Rocket textile jacket, then threw it in the dryer. It seems fine to me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They're lightweight, easier to true when bent, and tubes really arent that bad for patching.

Plus, by running a tubed tire, they are much easier to get off the wheel.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gnaghi posted:

Has anyone tried the Polly heated grips? I'm trying to order them but the company is telling me they are only for snowmobiles, not motorcycles. Is there some hacking involved to get them to work on a bike?

Be careful ordering these. If they're designed for a snowmobile/ATV, chances are, the right-hand grip wont be big enough to fit over the throttle tube, since Snowmobiles and ATVs use thumb-style throttles.

You could always hog the grip out, but you stand a chance of ruining it. You may or may not be able to force the grip on over the throttle tube.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, well then, yeah, they're the same.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NVaderJ posted:

Edit: I would also like to get a new set of handlebars. Is there a standard size for those as well, or are those something I would have to hunt around for?

All Japanese bikes use 7/8 inch bars.

Well, not all, but 99% of them. Modern huge metric cruisers sometimes use 1 inch bars, presumably to fit in with the Harley crowd.

e:fb

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone know of any good howtos on rewinding stators? The one in my RV90 hardly makes any power anymore. I'm figuring its time for a rewind.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Has anyone used Evapo Rust before? I'm using it to try to get the rust out of the Puch Maxi tank (frame, actually, same thing).

I'll leave it in there for a day or so, but I was wondering if anyone knew what to expect.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

And not one of them can get it right, how strange is that?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

iolaire posted:

FWIW, When I lived in china, the locals wouldn't buy the chinese bikes either! Instead they bought Taiwanese-made Japanese scooters (my mate got a Yamaha).

Bear in mind that China is in catchup mode and that Japanese bikes back in the day were also bollocks until they sorted their manufacturing methodologies.

Not quite. Even in the 60's, Japanese bikes were pretty nice. Yeah, they went through some phases of bad bolts and whatnot, but in general, they were just as nice as they are today.

I mean, poo poo, look at all the old-rear end Japanese bikes that are still on the road. The average Chinese bikes life expectancy is what, 5 years at the most?

Nerobro posted:

Something tells me going to electrolyic route might be best...

Yeah, I know it will be the best, but I thought I'd try the cheap easy route first. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

QnoisX posted:

So....new question. Let's say that you're a dumb rear end and dump your bike over on the gravel at the start of your drive way. What's the best way to fix the paint on your fairings?

Just little dings? Color Rite sells paint pens in OEM colors for cheap.

Big scratches? Take it to an autobody shop and have them respray it. Or if you're feeling up to it, you can buy quarts of paint from Color Rite too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

philkop posted:

My kickstand kind of went limp on me, I have a feeling it might be the spring inside, so I'm trying to take a look inside. Problem is my bikes from 71, so the screws are stuck. Of course I googled first but found nothing more than the standard wd40, and stuff like that. Anybody have any other solutions? I'd rather not spend any more money, but I might end up just getting me a good old fashion impact screwdriver.

Kickstand or kickstart? You say kickstand, but describe a kickstarter.

As for the bolts, an impact screwdriver is your best bet.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It shouldnt hurt it. Its possible that it just came disconnected, or worst case, broke. The spring shouldnt be expensive, or hard to be replace.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Heres a question. Anyone have, or have a good lead on a horizontal Honda motor? I'm looking for a CT70 or CT90 motor.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I might have it at home. I'll send it to you if I do.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TheFonz posted:

How do I store carburetors? I took the two off my RD while I decide how to build it and they are going to sit for about 6 months unused. What steps can I take to make sure they weather the winter fine?

I have the same question for a gas tank and a 2 stroke oil reservoir. I have less trepidation towards the res since it has oil coating the inside, but what about storing a tank not on the bike that I plan on sanding and painting?

Basically, what Nerobro said. You can also fog the gas tank with engine fogging oil. Its a little stickier, than WD40. Either would probably work OK though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For 99.9999999999999% of people out there, dry clutches are a pose-factor thing, due to the noise they make and the "Ooooh spinny things" factor. Hence all the pant leg munching wide-open billet clutch covers for Ducatis.

TheFonz posted:

Two stroke question.

I've got a bug in my rear end about taking apart my RD. It's pretty much boxes of parts right now but I still have the engine in the frame. I'll probably pull that soon enough. Anyway, I pulled the jugs and heads off to check the pistons which look ok, the right one looks nice, the left is a little charred on the sides, but anyway, while I had the cylinders off I noticed my crank was in a pool of gas. Like literally sitting in a puddle gas up to the top of the crank.

This isn't normal right? It's supposed to be a air/gas mixture. Maybe this is why it was running so rich. How do I go about draining this? Thanks.

My RD was the same way, not quite as full, but it had a pool of oil in the crankcase (Check valve in the pump stuck open). I just sucked it out with a vaccuum brake bleeder. If you have a crankcase full of gas, it means that your carbs arent stopping the flow of gas properly, and they just drain into the intake, and then down into the crankcase. Theres no oil in there because it happens when the engine is off, and the pump is not running.

Really, the only time you have to be really concerned is if there is transmission (motor) oil in the crankcase, as that means your crank seals are shot.
Most 2-strokes will start to pool gas if left to idle for a while even. Then you have to rev them pretty good to clear them out.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 6, 2008

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cmorrow001 posted:

Does anyone get Sport Rider Magazine? I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of the issue from this summer with the street-fighter R1 (it was red if that helpss anyone). Anyone want to sell me theirs?

I've got it, want it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cmorrow001 posted:

Definitely. Email me at cmorrow001 at gmail or let me know where to reach you.

email sent

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Like an idiot, I sent it to gmail.c.om, so it should be there now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ha! Wow, at 27 with a not-so-clean record, I pay $240/yr for a 2000 1200 Bandit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Scrounge on ebay for one too. Then you might be able to sell the old one to recoup some cost

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Those would be classified as British standards, basically.

Also, be sure to check out the Kawasaki W650. All those delicious vintage Euro looks with the reliability of a modern Japanese bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can ride it, just go easy. No full throttle burnouts and drag launches before its up to 121 degrees.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone know how to rewind a 6v stator to make it 12V? Is this even possible?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro posted:

ya know... you ask like "I" won't be the one to respond. Yes, it's possible. Easy even. You just put twice as many turns on the stator. You'll need to go with smaller gauge wire, and we'll need to take a guess as to what will be correct on that.

Yeah, I figured you would be the one to respond, but I thought I'd give the world at large a crack at beating you to it.

Its really just as easy as going to a smaller wire and doing 2x the turns?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hmm, I'm assuming there is a separate lighting and ignition coil, so I could just do the lighting coil, and keep the 6V ignition, correct?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Simkin posted:

Does fuel stabilizer play well with premix?

Its fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

8ender posted:

Can I hook up a battery charger in lieu of an actual battery? I'm having trouble finding a good sized battery for my 77' KZ650 project and I'm itching to see if any of the electrical works.

Shouldnt hurt it. I've done it to every bike I've ever owned at one point or another.