Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

At least its a breather and not something terribly critical to the engine, like an oil line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stock mirrors on the goldwing, because changing them is tantamount to changing the mirrors on your car

iirc, the RV90 inherited the Bandit 1200 stock mirrors when it got bar end mirrors

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

morothar posted:

It is in some states, Ohio being one. Dumb as gently caress too, as titles from other states don’t have to be notarized.

The requirement serves it purpose though: making private vehicle sales unattractive. If I have to drive to some dipshit two hours away, and I have to coordinate notarization and a finance lien, the price better be a few $K under market.
The hassle definitely makes buying from a dealer more attractive.

Lifehack: Become a notary

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whatever connectors and then just blob a poo poo ton of dielectric grease in them

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That sounds like oil on the brakes. Cant hurt to try to clean them. The absolute best way would be to pull the front wheel, pull the rotors off it and soak them down with brake cleaner. Same for the pads, pull them and soak them, then probably give the calipers a spraydown to keep any residual oil from getting back on the brakes.

I just dealt with this when the left fork seal went out on the goldwing. The left caliper didnt get soaked with fork oil, but a little got on there, and I did just what I described above and it seems 100% now to me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah if they’re soaked they probably need to be replaced but if it’s not a ton you could clean them

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don’t think the Zelle scammers and Facebook marketplace are related. They’re just there because it’s the most popular. If CL was still the big player they’d be there

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The big advantage for marketplace, and I would argue the main reason marketplace is killing CL, is Facebook messenger.

As someone who has waited for a week for some boomer to reach their regularly scheduled email check in and then waited another week for the reply, the real-time-ness of messenger is a godsend.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

moxieman posted:

Hello I’m the millennial who hates Facebook and only uses it for marketplace so I check my messages about once a week, nice to meet you.

I’d rather deal with slow to respond boomers on Craigslist, they’re far more likely to actually show up and buy/sell something.

I mean, that’s fine, but that’s not how 95% of people on marketplace are using it.

Goons are uniquely anti-fb, which is fine, Meta are poo poo (and so is marketplace and messenger, by the by, it’s just where the concentration of buyers and sellers are), but goons don’t represent the average

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Toe Rag posted:

700NZD is a pretty crazy price for Rosso 3s, but 261USD is also a very good price.

I was gonna say, two street tires that aren’t Shinkos for under $300 is a really good deal

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes, twice on two different goldwings. It worked fantastic for about two weeks until they started leaking again, both times.

I think this is less the fault of the seal mate and more the fact that I was cleaning crud out of shot seals and giving them a two week extension on life.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah unless you plan to be on the track shaving ounces, don’t convert it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jump it off a car for starters and see if it runs and idles fine while using the turn signal and connected to the car battery. If so, probably just a smoked battery

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Remy Marathe posted:

TBH It kinda sounds like I should just beat the gently caress out of it and worry about it when oil starts leaking.

The vanvan is made by Suzuki which means it will handle this type of treatment for years and then still drive all the way around the planet just fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think if it doesn’t have holes it’s salvageable.

Similar question , what is the current best method for de-rusting a tank? I know it used to be electrolysis but has something better come around?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think I'm gonna buy a shitload of evaporust, an inline fuel filter and hope for the best.

I just dont have the patience for making a hydrogen bomb with electrolysis these days

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

it's not just Ducati, it's anyone using plastic tanks OEM'd by Acerbis (IIRC) in the US market where they see ethanol blends most of the time. In other words, most if not all Euro brands. My GS tank swells, the Multistrada's was worse. Not sure what Honda does differently, but the plastic tank in the Goldwing hasn't had any issues

What year goldwing? I thought they were all metal?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m sort of in agreement with that. When I think oil starvation I think really wiped lobes and bearings.

It want cutting out due to an oil pressure safety switch?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a fob with a panic button you can use to actually trigger the alarm to verify it is the same thing? If it is, alarm systems are notoriously finicky and im guessing its getting triggered perhaps by a voltage drop from the added accessory load?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I made my own 4-cylinder version out of tubing and ATF and it worked fine for synchronizing the Bandit 1200. Now that I own only carbureted thumpers and a fuel injected 6-cylinder bike, it sits unused

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You’re flash boiling road grime, it’s gonna smell bad

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s British electricals!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’d think that would be fine assuming no computer fuckery, etc

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don’t know what that specific model number is, but Tygon is probably the biggest name in fuel line. As long as you size it right it should be fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MSPain posted:

I use invoxia, but it's a bit expensive. I sometimes wonder if theft insurance would be a better route. do I even want the bike back after thieves have been at it?

That’s always been my thought. Jist get good insurance and then get a new bike.

You don’t want it back after it gets joyridden around the city and gone after with a screwdriver

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s a DRZ

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There were weird in-between bikes that had vestiges of carburetors on their fuel injection. Lots of bikes had FI and manual chokes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The newer GoPros have auto horizon leveling and stabilization built in. You can get that gimballed look for much less $ with them

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s what’s known as a flat slide carb. The dirt-only DRZ E’s came with them (although I’m not sure if they came with THIS specific one).

A flat slide is an upgrade in throttle responsiveness and adjustability (not necessarily raw gay horsepower) over the stock carb. So, this is something fitted by the PO

Take a peek at the exploded view here: https://www.jetsrus.com/carburetor/carb_mikuni_TM36-TM40-HS40_pumper_carb_exploded_view_parts.html

Gasket part #09 should fix your rear leak (E: you might not need this, it looks like your rear gasket and horn just has crud on it

O-ring #81 is where I’d start with the choke leak

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 19, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So here’s an interesting one. I was out on the Goldwing yesterday on the freeway and noticed the temp gauge was up in the red. It was slowly oscillating between red and just below red but it was hot.

This was in 63F weather, so it was plenty cool out.

Once I got off the highway the bike cooled back down and obviously the fans were on. Riding around town didn’t seem to heat it up at all. The thing I don’t understand is on the freeway at 80mph, it should be forcing way more air through the radiators and be staying cooler. If anything I’d expect it to run hotter at slower speeds.

I’m going to start with the obvious thing and flush the coolant. It still has the same coolant from when I bought it so who knows how old it is. A water pump/thermostat is a bigger job that involves disassembling a lot of the top half of the bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think there is both a mechanical flow restricting thermostat as well as a thermometer that measures coolant temp and turns the fans on, but I don’t know for sure.

The goldwing is also weird because the radiators are mounted on the sides of the bike facing left and right. So when you’re riding, the air is coming in the front of the bike and getting pushed out the sides of the bike, but when the fans kick in, they suck air in from the sides and push it out the front of the bike, completely the opposite of the normal operation.

Because of this, the fans will only activate in first gear or neutral, and will not activate in first gear above 16mph. There are lots of posts on goldwing forums about boomers riding in parades and having their gold wings barf coolant all over the street because they’re moving at the perfect speed where the fan is pushing equally hard against the incoming air from the front and essentially no cooling is happening at all.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 5, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think that’s only a Harley thing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Logistically yes, but for it to be truly KTM as gently caress there need to be like 3 separate water pumps involved, each with an impeller who’s hardness rating is next to room temperature butter on mohs hardness scale.

E: lmao at Wikipedia actually listing butter in its article on mohs hardness scale

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 6, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Imo if you're getting more heat with more speed it can only really be a clogged system or you have an engine problem

So, weird update, in researching this, a huge number of goldwing grandpas are recommending cleaning the radiator fins, as they collect a ton of crap, bugs, leaves, etc, and you can’t see it like on a regular bike, because they blow into the backs of the radiators.

So over lunch I sprayed my radiator fins down with simple green to loosen things up and then blasted them with the garden hose. Many a bug carcass came out, they were for sure dirty. This brought my temps on the freeway down a notch on the temp gauge, so it helped, but things aren’t fixed.

Next is checking the coolant level, and then replacing the coolant and changing the oil (I am currently panicking that I need a head gasket or two)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You definitely have some wiring fuckery going on. A DRZ is definitely a “ride it from NY to LA with no worries” kind of bike.

Hopefully it’s just one thing in the wiring that’s messing things up