Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The level 1 charger on the bike wants to pull 120V @ ~11A continuous, with some hand waving call that ~1300 watts.

Your inverter likely won’t put out that kind of power, and if it did your alternator likely wouldn’t keep up with it. But bring a generator rated for that kind of sustained output and you’re good, but it should be a Honda to keep things in the general bieks family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Russian Bear posted:

I changed my oil recently on the MT03. Manual says it takes a 2.1L including the oil filter. I put in ~1.9L (changed filter of course) and the sight glass has it coming up to almost the top oil line.

2.1L is the factory fill. You’ll never get that last 200-ish mL out without disassembling the engine. Trust the sight glass / dipstick and go ride it.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Does the bike have an ABS ring? If so you can read the square wave it puts out and drive a speedo from it.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I get so much anxiety watching motorcycle videos now, I kept waiting for the worst to happen.

Yes, you can't undertake (pass on the right) legally unless they signal they're turning into traffic (turning left). That doesn't mean people don't do it all the time, especially in parts of the US, but that's where things went wrong for you.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
That’s when you use a very particular motorcycling hand signal, slapping your helmet in the universal “it’s me, I’m the dumbass” sign.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I wish I got that kind of life out of my tires, I change my rear at 6k miles when they square completely flat. Might be because my bike is a heavy pig when loaded for road tripping, which is where most of my miles come from.

The Road 5/6 is known to behave really well on wet asphalt, but I also see new MRCs listed as having rain improvements so they may have the same rubber now. You’d be coming from a bias-ply tire to a radial so I’d expect your tire to get lighter but lose a bit of the off-road capability you’re leaning on (do you deflate your tires for gravel riding?).

If you like the tires keep getting the same thing. Plus if those are the tires your bike came with from factory, it’s not uncommon to find they’re a lower tier than the ones you get as replacements.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I’ve got a ‘97 Nighthawk 750 with damper forks, coming up on 70k miles and the seals are getting sloppy again (I last did the seals 50k miles ago).

Should I just do the seals or should I spend another $40 and change all the bushings too? I can guess the answer is yes, but I don’t expect much from this suspension anyway, will it really matter?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
It’s already coming fully apart anyway if I’m changing the seals. Bought the parts, I’ll do the work whenever the weather turns nice.

I like working on the forks themselves but sure get sketched out propping up the headless bike for a day or two. Maybe I’ll finally get one of those front stands that holds up the bike by the lower triple or whatever.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
A taller tail light? Maybe bosozoku had the right idea after all.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Always needed the same on my FI CBR.

My understanding of motorcycle FI is that it’s often low pressure manifold injection and that you can expect some carb-like quirks, especially relative to modern auto engines with direct injection and better emissions (combustion ratio) monitoring.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 3, 2024

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
What is the thermostat in your model of GW? Is it a thermometer that activates an electric fan, or is it a mechanical popper that sits inline with the coolant? Because I’ve had the latter cause both won’t-cool and won’t-warm conditions.

Too bad about it being a big job. Hopefully this ends up being easy as a bubble in the coolant.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
You’re supposed to use parade mode, it’s a neat system where the starter kicks in and runs the fan in reverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Yeah, bike shops should have a little half-gallon tank for carb tuning. It has a hook to hang from a grip, and a nipple on bottom for fuel line.

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0032

Edit: and a household box fan pointed at the engine will keep it cool if you’re running it for more than a minute. Just need some air movement to break the heat up.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 15, 2024