Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

I recently changes the fork seals on my 1981 Honda CB650 and when I was looking in my Haynes manual I thought it said to torque the axle holder nuts to 40 - 47 ft lbs. It is supposed to be 13 - 18 ft lbs. according to the online shop manual. I just stripped out the nut on the lower part of the stud, the fork slider appears to be fine.

I am wondering if their would be a problem using a grade 8 steel bolt and grinding off the head as a replacement stud until my OEM parts arrive.

I asked this over at sohc4.net, just wondering if anyone could let me know if this is a completely stupid idea.

Edit: I have tried local automotive and hardware supply stores and couldn't find 8x1.25x49 studs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

Thanks a lot for the response, now I won't be to paranoid about my front wheel going down the street without me.