Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Lawn posted:

I want to be able to take my wife around on it too sometimes. Would a 250 be able to handle ~350 pounds? For that matter how would a 400 handle it?

I have a DR-Z400SM and it does just fine riding 2 up. It has more than enough torque to get you off the line, and does 65 mph riding 2-up easily enough. The bike was definitely not meant to ride 2-up though, the bike handles like absolute rear end with a rider on back. That said, it is totally do-able.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Can't hurt to post this here too:

quote:

I have an 04 600 with about 14k miles. No recent maintenance, about 1000 miles since it got a rear tire and about 2k since a full service. No history of electrical problems, no new batteries, nothing.

I leave work this morning and start and warm the bike up like normal. The speedo was working fine on my way out of the parking lot because I remember looking down and checking my speed in the parking lot. Once on the freeway home I notice the speedo is reading 0. I have had this happen on other bikes and vehicles so wasn't to worried about it.

I keep riding home, as I am riding I catch my bike's dash lights, tach and speedo all turn off then turn back on just like they do when you first turn the bike on. The bike was still running fine so I kept going. I checked the time on the way home and noticed the time had reset itself as well, back to 1:00. The temp gauge was working correctly, and when the bike's gauges weren't turning off and back on the speedo was working perfectly.

It does the off/on thing with the gauges a few more times on the ride home. I get the bike in the garage and shut it off, then turn it back on. The gauges don't light up immediately, they took about 3 seconds, then they turned on like normal. I started playing with the wires, nothing would get it to reset. I am just looking at it and the gauges reset again. I turn the bike off again, turn it back on and it doesn't turn on.

I turn it to the setting past the steering lock and checked to see if the brake light comes on, and it did. I turned it back to on and the gauges light up normally. I turn the bike off and on a bunch of times, each time it lights up normal. I pushed the bike around in the garage and I still don't have a speedo.

The bikes got enough miles and is old enough, I am willing to bet the speed sensor is shot. The only thing that kind of freaks me out is the gauges resetting themselves multiple times during the ride. Anyone got any ideas before I tear into this thing on the weekend? It would be much appreciated.

How much are speed sensors from the stealership?

Posted this on the gixxer.com boards. Bike just flipped the gently caress out on me riding home from work today.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I have my problems sorted out on the GSXR. It wasn't the battery, the speed sensor is dead AND there is corrosion in the wiring harness connection that leads to the front end of the bike. What is odd is they both surfaced at nearly the exact same time. I cleaned the corrosion out of the connection terminal and the bike's dash does not reset now. I took the speed sensor out of the bike and it is scar'd up for some reason, I cleaned it and cleaned it's connections to the wiring harness but it still doesn't work.

I had the battery tested at the batteries plus down the street and they told me 100% the battery is good. Also it is in fact not a factory unit as I once thought. The PO had jerry-rigged a connector for the positive terminal block instead of going and getting the proper hardware, so I fixed that as well.

I am sooooo done buying used vehicles.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Today I suited up and headed down to my motorcycle in the shared parking garage it's in and found someone attempted to steal it. It had the steering lock engaged, it looks like they hammered a screwdriver into the ignition and tried to turn it but failed. Fuckers.

Well the problem is now I have a bike with the steering lock engaged and no way of unlocking it. The keyhole on the ignition is so hosed that the key won't even go inside it all of the way. My plan is to put it on a couple of furniture dolleys and roll it to the maintenance elevator and bring it upstairs to my apartment and start disassembling it in my living room.

I've never been in this sort of situation before. Can you buy new ignition cylinders that use your key or do you get new keys with the new cylinder? And how am I going to dis-engage the steering lock? While I don't know for certain what to do I imagine if I take the entire front end off of the bike I can get to the cylinder itself and remove it. The bike is a 2004 GSXR 600.

gently caress thieves.