Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Dubs posted:

I only got my new bike last week ( drz ) but it looks like I may not have a car to drive to work for a few days. It's got about 350 kms on it so far , but the problem is that I have to leave early in ylthe morning so I won't be able to warm it up for a few minutes like a normally do.

Is getting on and rideng away at all possible without the engine not broken in yet? There's no highways and it's about a 5minute ride up a decently sized hill.

That's a bullet-proof engine. You should be fine, just try and vary your RPMs up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
Does anyone get Sport Rider Magazine? I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of the issue from this summer with the street-fighter R1 (it was red if that helpss anyone). Anyone want to sell me theirs?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

I've got it, want it?

Definitely. Email me at cmorrow001 at gmail or let me know where to reach you.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

email sent

I somehow didn't get it.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

Nope, and AAA won't tow because I'm not covered by some no-name, never heard of insurance company.

I'll go pick up a patch kit this weekend, failing that I'll rent a u-haul pickup.

Will it hold air at all? Twice when I've had a flat it would hold air long enough for me to limp it to the dealership. It's a bit nerve racking but works.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
My DRZ SM is leaking gas. It seems to be coming out around the carb but I can't place any particular spot that it's leaking.

I brought it in the house and tapped the bowl a lot thinking it was a stuck float. That stopped the leaking but as soon as I took it outside and started it for a little bit, the gas started leaking again.

Any ideas?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Well, it stopped leaking because you have a vacuum petcock ;-) you likely have a dirty float valve. and or a failed float bowl gasket.

I doubt its a dirty float as I cleaned it late in the summer (although the gas in there is a bit old). If it's a failed float bowl gasket how do I fix that?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Nerobro posted:

I did NOT say it was a dirty float. I said dirty float valve. :-) The needle that shuts off the fuel flow likely needs to be cleaned, as well as it's seat. Unless you have downdraft carbs, float bowl gaskets are non-critical, and don't matter if they leak. Unless your float valve isn't shutting off fuel flow.

So a carb cleaning is in order? Since Its winter, can I put some gas stabilizer in and run it through the bike a while then just disconnect the petcock and let the bike die on its own leaving the carb empty for the winter so I can pull it out when its warm?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

cmorrow001 posted:

So a carb cleaning is in order? Since Its winter, can I put some gas stabilizer in and run it through the bike a while then just disconnect the petcock and let the bike die on its own leaving the carb empty for the winter so I can pull it out when its warm?

Anyone, is this okay to do?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

pr0zac posted:

My DRZ really needs the jetting corrected, so seeing as I'll be moving the next few weeks and can't ride, I figure the correct response is to buy an upgraded carb to put on at the end of the month. Then correct the jetting on that. I know someone here (Phat Albert?) did a carb upgrade on their DRZ, was hoping to get some suggestions and tips before I dive in. Probably gonna go with: http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/int_keihin_drzfcrmx.htm Should definitely be doable in a few hours right?

I'm buying this kit for my DRZ as well. Probably going to grab it towards the end of march, just in time to dial it in a tad before my first track day.

This is the best kit you can get and there is tons of reading on thumpertalk to get you pretty close to what the jetting should be.

I haven't worked on the new carb but I've messed with the stock one enough. Let me know if you have issues and maybe I can help...if not, maybe I'll be asking you in a few months.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Like I hinted at in my above post, the key is to search for bikes that came with FCRMX's in stock form. I know there was a thread somewhere on Thumpertalk that listed all the bikes that came with an FCR from the factory.

The eBay auction I won was for a 2001 YZ426 carb, FCRMX wasnt mentioned anywhere in the auction. Yet I scored the same carb you can buy from ThumperTalk for $500 for just $120. There isnt any other way to go in my mind.

Also, check the for classified section of Thumpertalk and Supermotojunkie, and other similar sites. I see used ones all the time in the ~$300 range.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
Phatty,

What's the difference between the 39 and the 41 (2, hurrr). Is there a reason to go with one over the other?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Dubs posted:

DRZ-E cables work better i think, i think i might have read it on thumpertank, ask there they live and breathe Derzas.

Bummer, I didn't want to buy anything else. I've been looking a lot lately for used FCR carbs but nothing lately. If I can't find something soon I'll have to buy a new one. I'm hoping to hit my first track day of the year on April 4 at Grattan.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
BRAKE LIGHT ISSUE

Bike is a 2007 Triumph Speed Triple (with stock LED tails)

So I went for my first ride today and while inspecting the bike at a light, I noticed that I don't have any brake lights (I know I should have checked before I left). The tails work fine but don't light up more when I brake.

Over the winter I relocated the turn signals and plate light but never touched the brake light. After loving with it more, it actually appears that the brake lights are ON all the time (but I can't verify that). I've checked the connections and they seem to be okay.

Any ideas? Could a LED bad cause the brake light to stay on all the time?

EDIT winner
VVVV

cmorrow001 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 6, 2009

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

cmorrow001 posted:

BRAKE LIGHT ISSUE

Bike is a 2007 Triumph Speed Triple (with stock LED tails)

So I went for my first ride today and while inspecting the bike at a light, I noticed that I don't have any brake lights (I know I should have checked before I left). The tails work fine but don't light up more when I brake.

Over the winter I relocated the turn signals and plate light but never touched the brake light. After loving with it more, it actually appears that the brake lights are ON all the time (but I can't verify that). I've checked the connections and they seem to be okay.

Any ideas? Could a LED bad cause the brake light to stay on all the time?

FIXED: My roommate suggested that since they seemed to be on all the time, a sensor was probably stuck. I checked it out and removed my rear brake sensor (connecting rod to lever) and it turned off.

I adjusted it towards the very end of the season last year so the pedal sits a bit lower, must have moved a bit when it got cold.

Thanks Uthor and Z3N

cmorrow001 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 6, 2009

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
I may be showing off my ignorance here but I was hoping someone could explain cams to me. A lot of people talk about upgrading the DRZ cams and I realize I don't really understand what they are and how they work.

Why are aftermarket cams better? (lighter, stronger, etc)
Do all bike have 2 cams? Intake and exhaust?
Do you have to tear the engine apart to change them?

Also, I read this but id doesn't really clear up my questions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camshaft

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Nerobro, Ola, MrKatharsis posted:

Good info

Thanks for the info. That actually cleared up almost all my questions. I do for the most part understand how an engine works, but I didn't understand what would change by switching the camshafts, the bigger "lobe" make sense now.

Also DOHC vs SOHC finally make sense too, thanks!

Do you think changing them (specifically for the DRZ) would make a big difference? For this year I'm only concerned about switching the carb but I was thinking about this for next year. It's only a few hundred bucks. Would I be better off saving for a big bore kit? (I know that's a lot bigger of a job but could be a good winter project).

EDIT: Would I only need new camshafts if I already had the big bore kit or would it help with stock as well?

cmorrow001 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 11, 2009

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Z3n posted:

How important is gas milage to you? I rode a DRZ400SM with the carb, cams, and the 3x3 mod and it was just perfect. My friend had a big bore kit on it, and his stance was that at that point you should just buy a KTM/whatever. Tanks your gas milage, gives you some more power but not enough to make up for it.

Cams will help a lot stock. The E uses the hotter cams, probably because offroad is more leniant on emissions than on road.

Let's not lie, none of us ride for the gas mileage. I currently get 40mpg with the 3x3 and full exhaust. I know that the new carb will hurt my mileage but I don't really care.

My Speed Triple only gets a little over 30mpg. I just want more kick out of the DRZ. I'd really like to learn how to wheelie it this summer and I think more power should help. (I'm really too much of a pussy to learn how to wheelie again so I'm just doing this for power, screw gas mileage...the smile on my face is worth it)

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Z3n posted:

If you're cool with tanking the poo poo out of your gas mileage, then go for it. I think he dropped down into the mid 20s with the set of mods + the BB kit. He also rides like a complete hooligan though.

Well then I figure without the big bore I'll be in mid 30's which is fine with me. I'll probblay look into the cams for next year. I see used ones go up for sale every couple of months for ~200 intake and exhaust.

Z3n posted:

How does your S3 get that low of gas mileage? Mine, which ran rich as a pig, still got in the mid 30s with normal use and low 40s with freeway.

It seems a lot of people only get mid 30's mpg. I get ~110 miles or so per tank and fill up about 3 gallons. I'll look into it further though.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

blugu64 posted:

You have a larger gas tank? because with 30~mpg, and the 2.5gallon tank that the internet says the drz has. Well I'd find a 75-80mile range to be a pain.

I'm currently getting around 100 miles out of a tank, if it dropped down to 75-80 that would be okay. It's really just a through town (and soon a track), gently caress around toy. If I'm going any distance at all I take the Triumph.

If I found a good deal on a larger tank though, I'd get one but it's not a priority.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

I am going to the DMV tomorrow to register my new bike (pics coming soon). What is the deal with trading bikes when it comes to registration? Can I just write trade under sale price?

I doubt it. I think you will have to put some low value in so that the state can collect some taxes off it. I'm sure it depends on the state though.

You may want to leave it blank and ask them, but also bring some fake bill of sale with some realy low amount on it in case they want to give you crap about it.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Taisa posted:

The more research I do the more this becomes less researchable. All of the moving truck rental places I call have no idea which of their trucks have tie-down points on the floor, or what a tie point is :psyduck:. Any idea what my options are with a chock when there are no tie points on the floor?

Could you just go to the local U-haul and look inside one of the trucks? You could then determine if there is anything to tie the bike to.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
So I'm taking my first ride on my 2007 Speed Triple where I need to have directions. I don't have a tank bag though. I was thinking of just taping the directions to my tank. What type of tape can I use and not hurt the tank? Can I use duct tape? Will painters tape hold up for 4 hours?

Also, note that my tank is plastic so I can't use magnets.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Painters tape or masking tape I would imagine would work. Might need some goo-gone afterwards, but it shouldnt be a big deal.

On another website someone suggested putting the directions in a ziploc bag and rubber banding it to my arm. That might work too.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
The Road Gear idea is good but this is a spur of the moment thing and I am leaving in a few hours. I think I'll use painter's tape and a ziploc bag. I'll let you guys know if it doesn't work well.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
After my carb swap to the FCR, my DRZ takes a bit to get started. It almost always needs to have the choke on (unless its fully warm and has been ridden in the last hour or so) and when cold, it always take a lot of holding the starter before it turns on (say 5 seconds where before the swap took <1).

Is this normal? It rides fine once it's on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
So I'd like to cut the side plastics on my DRZ but to do it clean, I would need to relocate the battery to the air box.

This seems to me taht it would cause a restriction in air coming in and would cause problems (especially since one of the first mods you do the the DRZ air box is to cut a 3x3 hole in the top to allow for more air flow).

People on supermotojunkie have done this and said they didn't notice any performance issues. Would I be stupid to do this or would I be okay?