Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Lost a spoke and nipple on my super tenere. It's a tubeless rim, so no air coming out. I had to ride another 10 miles home after that and I took it easy, but I'm having a hard time sourcing the right spokes and nipples to replace. How bad will it be to ride without a spoke in the meantime, including off road?

N'thing "please don't ride with a broken spoke." Get a professional to inspect the wheel, replace the spoke and ensure it's all trued up.

Woody's makes good stuff but shipping a wheel is a pain. Maybe there's a motorcycle shop with a crusty, grumpy old guy who's great at spoked wheels. Cheaper and faster than shipping a wheel to Colorado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
How stupid of a bike is a Guzzi Stelvio? The massive fuel tank, factory hard bags, ABS and cheap prices are making me look at craigslist a lot.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Thanks for the info on Guzzis. Will keep them on the bottom of the list for the moment.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Taking the fuel line off the fuel valve on my '04 Honda 599 has gotten very, very, very difficult in the past few years. It seems to almost weld itself onto the fuel valve and due to limited clearance it's really hard to get in there to pull it off. What's a good way to make this easier to take off in the future? I worry if I have to pull the tank off on a road trip it's going to be almost impossible, it took 20 minutes of fiddling to get it off in a dry garage stocked with tools.

My thought is it's old fuel line that's had tons of ethanol gas through it and it's probably time for a new line: it's a whole $8 for a new OEM one.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Bike: 2004 Honda 599 (CB600F), naked and carb'd, water cooled.

Problem: poor fuel economy and strong rich exhaust smell in cold and wet weather. Example: yesterday was in the low 40s (F) and stronger-than-usual rain for the Pacific Northwest. Got high 30s, low 40s MPG instead of the usual 45. Stop and go city riding lets the bike almost get up to usual temp. No problems if it's cold but not wet. Also, warming the bike up seems to take another minute or two longer than it used to.

I've also had the engine get so cold it shuts off when you pull the clutch in, but that was mid 30s, pouring rain and going downhill for miles.

Is there an actual problem here or is this the nature of naked, carb'd bikes? I try not to ride much in these conditions 'cause it isn't as much fun as staying dry but :shrug: .

My thoughts are it's possible the thermostat is stuck open a little bit. Any way to test this aside from visual inspection? Is this the right path to go down?