Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Well I'm financially ready to buy a motorcycle.

89 Kawasaki Ninja

$1300.

quote:

In good shape, new tires, smooth ride, clear title 33612 miles. Just dont have time to ride it.

Here's the craiglist
http://odessa.craigslist.org/mcy/835574617.html

Any thoughts?

The whole time I was negotiating I thought it was a Ninja 250. Turns out its a Ninja 600....is this okay?

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Oh what the gently caress when did they ....sigh.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Speaking of JTS. In the sv650 thread I asked how easy it was to change motorcycle batteries. I'm always deathly afraid of jumping cars, etc.

Is it as simple as unscrewing the negative and positive posts, disconnecting the wires, and dropping the new battery in? Can I use a metal screwdriver? I mean, seriously, I don't want to die.

JTS told me to touch both ends at the same time with wet fingers :supaburn:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Phat_Albert posted:

The battery will explode and you will die. People just throw bikes away when the battery dies, as its far too dangerous to even look at a battery let alone change one.

Go gently caress yourself.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

The NonBornKing posted:

DO NOT unscrew both posts before removing the wires. The procedure is 1) Unscrew and remove the ground wire. Make sure the ground wire isn't going to slide back into contact with the ground terminal of the battery. 2) Unscrew and remove the power wire. 3) Remove battery without touching the terminals.

When the ground wire is connected to the ground terminal there are 12 volts and about 100 amps waiting to fry anything that connects the positive terminal to the frame of the bike. This could be across your hand, the screwdriver, or a path all the way from your knee to your hand. That last one would be pretty lovely.

Ground wire = negative?
Power wire = positive?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
How do I reconnect a battery to a motorcycle properly?

Do I attach negative and then positive or positive and then negative?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Didn't really get many responses in the sv650 thread.

Hey dudes. Need some help.

Whenever I get my bike up to a constant 85mph, which is around 6 grand rpm, it'll go for a minute or two and then lose power all of a sudden. Then when my heart is good and racing it lets out this HUGE backfire and then goes right back to having all throttle control.

Ideas?

Seems to happen with the bike around 6grand in any gear.

Guess I should start with the spark plugs etc?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
2001 sv650s. carbedededed.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Christoff posted:

Can you disable it? I like starting my bike before I put on my gear. Wouldn't mind skipping having to lean over and pull the clutch in with all my stuff in my hands.

What? Maybe I'm odd, but I always keep my bike in neutral when I'm at home. LOL WEST TEXAS NO HILLS.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

fnkels posted:

I had some trouble getting my bike into first from neutral today. Usually when I'm at a light for a while, I'll shift to neutral and when its time to go, go back to 1st.

A couple of times I stomped on the shifter and eventually it would go to first, but it wouldn't be easy like normal. What would this usually mean, and what kind of maintenance am I looking at?

too much oil.

seriously, look it up.

Do you have a sight glass or a dip stick? If you have a sight glass, stand the bike up straight(maybe with the help of a friend) and see if the oil is at the line or above it.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
start a new frakking thread dietcokefiend AUGH

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Also, too much oil can make the bike hard to start in the cold. AND it can make it harder to shift(my experiences)

Both were rectified with a proper amount of oil.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Sometimes on my sv650s it gets REALLY hard to shift gears. I have to really force it down or up sometimes to get it to go. Usually its only hard to shift after lots of stop and go, or me being neglectful and not shifting down when I should and trying to shift down 3 gears at once.

New clutch cable time? New clutch? Heh.

Usually when I'm going faster than 25mph it has no problem shifting.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I can't believe I've been forgetting to believe.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hay dudes,

Can I take my old motorcycle oil to the motorcycle shop for them to dispose of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

blugu64 posted:

I take mine to the Autozone.

Oh badass...!

Do I need to bring it in a container or can I just bring the oil pan