Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Oceanlife posted:

I just passed my MSF and would like to get a small bike to go around town in.

Here's what I found 1985 Rebel 250. Ideally I'd like to ride this for the fall and trade up next season to a more powerful bike. If I can sell it within a few hundred of what I paid for it I'd be happy.

Is the price fairly reasonable?

Could my girlfriend ride with me on such a small bike?

I had a '86 Rebel as my first bike. Paid $100 for it, sold it 6 months later for $700, but it was not in the condition that one is. Dead simple to work on and fairly reliable, but you will get bored drat fast. It's slow, but it will turn like crazy.

There are some downfalls. The '85-'87 Rebels had a really lovely headlight that I don't think you can get a new bulb for unless you fork out a lot. 35 watts of fury.

Riding with a passenger on that thing would be a deathwish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

I started rambling on about this problem I'm having in the "Less questions and more chatting" thread, but asking questions there would be against the spirit of that thread, so here I am.

One or more parts of the charging system on my bike (2000 Vulcan 750) has poo poo the bed. I'm getting jack poo poo out of the regulator/rectifier with the engine at 4K RPMs, but I'm trying to test the stator but really don't know what the hell I am doing.

There are three wires that come out from the stator, all of which appear to be identical.

Click here for the full 628x471 image.

From what I can find, I need to test the ohms coming from each of the three wires. I'm getting readings all over the place but I don't think I'm doing it properly. I'm putting the negative probe of the multimeter on the chassis ground, and the positive on each of the tree wires. Am I doing this right? Should I also be getting voltage readings from the stator?

Also, if I touch two of the wires together, I get a tiny spark. I don't know if that means anything or not.

I've never really done anything along these lines before, so this is kind of new to me. Thanks for any help you all can give me.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Usually I can figure things out as I go along, which is why I didn't say anything, but this one stumped me for some reason. The connectors that I cut off were shot anyway, so I guess the worst that can happen is I'm out a few bucks for three new connectors if the stator is still good.

I'll test it out after I get off of work. Thanks!

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Nerobro posted:

awesome help

Thanks again for the pointers on troubleshooting this. The resistance between the legs doesn't see too terribly off.

A-B: 1.1 Ω
A-C: 0.8 Ω
B-C: 0.7 Ω

I then tested each leg to the chassis and got the following. From what you said, this is probably bad.

A: 1.0 Ω
B: 0.7 Ω
C: 0.5 Ω

I then fired the bike up and tested the AC current coming out of the stator. Here's what I got there. Not good either:

A-B: 15v
A-C: 8v
B-C: 10v

I also got similar readings going from each leg to the chassis. I would assume that since it is supposed to be isolated that there should be 0v when doing this, correct?

So unless I'm interpreting something wrong, then it's new stator time. :smith:

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Well I completed step 1 of getting to the stator on my bike :v:

Having to remove the engine from the frame was loads of fun. Fortunately all of the work seems to have been worth it.

If you look at the bottom part of the stator, that's not gunk. The insulation on those poles (hope I'm using the right term) is shot, which tells me that it has failed.

Thanks again Nerobro for pointing me in the right direction.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Going to rewind? or replace?

I'm just going to replace it. I could probably do it, but I'd rather not find out the expensive way that I screwed it up. I'll just remove the engine once :). Plus, a new aftermarket one wasn't too bad cost wise ($120).

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

She lives! :science:

It only took me a month and half to replace the stator, between work and going on vacation time was at a premium. I got everything reassembled, and I'm cranking out 13.9 delicious volts at idle.

I just have two things to fix before I can get back on the road:

1) The clutch cable and throttle cables need a little adjusting. The clutch isn't engaging all of the way and the throttle is sticking. Hopefully not a huge deal.

2) I missed a step when putting the alternator cover back on. Oops.

I'm seeping oil around the cover. Fortunately it's three screws without any other disassembly needed, so I can correct my mistake fairly easily.

Nerobro - thanks again for helping me with successfully diagnosing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Bukanza posted:

What <= 500cc cruiser would be a comfortable ride for a 6'3" dude buying his first bike? I fear a Rebel and Virago would be too cramped.

I'm 6'2" and have a Vulcan 750. I find it very comfortable, much more than my wife's '97 Magna. It's ~60 HP I think, so it's by no means overkill.