Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Z3n posted:

I'd run pirelli sport demons on the ninja 500.

That's what I have on my ninja, they do nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

shaitan posted:

whenever I go on rides of 50+ miles (did my first 100 mile day yesterday!), my right hand starts acting funky. I have problems opening it up all the way (extending my fingers) and my pinky gives me the hardest problem. This will go on for hours after the ride has stopped. I suspect it's my grip but I don't know how else I'm supposed to hold onto the throttle unless i'm...well...holding it. Any tips on adjusting my grip?

My bike is a Ninja 250, so it could be partly due to the vibration.

Try getting a crampbuster. It helps me out a lot on long trips. Before I had it, I'd have to release the throttle every now and then to shake my hand to get feeling back in my pinky and thumb. This little thing helps a LOT.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

BronYrAur posted:

I have 1988 suzuki katana for starters. It was in bad need of an oil change so that was my project for today. After assembling all the tools I needed I went to work. Now it took a while and some trickery to get the drain bolt out - this was not a good sign. Drained all the oil and went to put the bolt back in and it doesn't go it. I can tighten it with my fingers then when I try to wrench it it must jump threads and gets loose again. I can't seem to get the bolt back in. The bolt itself looks to be in fine condition so this makes me think the oil pan is having problem. My question is do I have any options/how screwed am I? I'm thinking of taking the bike to a dealership to get looked at but I can't exactly afford that and I don't have a truck to take it in.

Uh probably a stripped oil pan, you can either make the hole bigger or buy a new one iirc.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

* Pirelli Sport Demon

These are what I use on my Ninja 500, they work well for both commuting and more spirited riding.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

KidDynamite posted:

New tire time! I need something for some hard riding on a ninja 500. I'm going a bit nuts before my trip to California.

Pirelli Sport Demons work great on my 500

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

BlueBayou posted:

And a pic, I can get closeups if needed:

From that pic it looks like you'll have to take the whole rear plastic off, and the seat will come with it. It should only be a few bolts and screws. Once the seat's off, should be one bolt to release the tank, make sure the petcock is set to OFF, disconnect the hoses connecting the tank to the carbs.

If your 250 is anything like my 500 you'll have to unbolt the fuses above the battery before you can unscrew the airbox e: Strike that I see your fuses there on the side, could that be why the rain is having such an effect on things?

e: your bike is adorable :swoon:

teknicolor fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 4, 2009

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

blugu64 posted:

After you get the seat off, ninja250.org has a pretty good walk though of the process.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_clean_the_air_filter(s)%3F

Wow those pics look nothing like my bike guess they're not as similar as I thought after all!

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Simkin posted:

make a video montage of me presenting gifts to it

what you say?

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Jack the Smack posted:

I hate my bike.

Get rid of it and never ride again. Problems solved for everyone! :D

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Nyyen posted:

Sorry if I'm being dense but this is the first bike I've ever worked on.

Don't feel bad you're not the only one around here in that boat :P

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

fromoutofnowhere posted:

can you get to 70 mph comfortably?

not "comfortably"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

NoCleverName posted:

Brought my rear wheel and a new tire into a shop today and it was $50 to get the tire changed. Is that a reasonable price? It certainly doesn't seem like it. They weren't even putting my wheel on my bike or anything. I only had one wheel/tire with me, so I may take the next one somewhere else.

cyclegear charges 20 or so to change a tire