Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
Stupid question; I caught my helmet on something as I was carrying it, and it pulled half of the visor out. I quickly inspected the pieces (it's a Shoei TZ-R and everything is visible) and it looked to be in working order. Later as I mounted the bike, I noticed it kept coming off. Turns out the spring is missing for the visor release latch.

Question is: where the hell do I get a 10 cent spring for a bike helmet to keep the visor secure? I mean if you can name a spring loaded pencil/pen that uses the same size spring, that'd be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus

Z3n posted:

Check that all of the levers and controls are intact, and that the throttle snaps back cleanly. Besides that...nah. Just look at the places where it hit the ground to make sure you didn't do anything weird to it, like accidentally smack the poo poo out of a rotor on the way down.

And if the throttle doesn't snap back and stays where you left it, you just installed cruise control for free! :haw:

I haven't heard of severe problems if it doesn't snap back. I'd get it looked at to make sure the throttle still responds properlu, but there's no inherent danger in a throttle you have to turn both ways.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
I'm thinking about moving to Arizona (Tucson) and having only ridden in Washington where the weather ranges from 35-90ish I'm curious what kind of precautions I'd need to take for riding in 105+ weather. I have an 08 r6, and have heard horror stories about cruiser engines seizing up in heavy traffic, as well as blacktop oozing so that the kickstand doesn't keep the bike up. Anything I should keep in mind?

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
I'm moving from WA to AZ. This means 2000 miles of driving a rented truck. I have an r6 that's coming with me as well. As cost is an issue, I'm wondering how terrible of an idea it is to throw the bike in with the boxes, and how to go about tying it down. Basically wondering how it's done when people race with it, since the inside of the truck has those tie-down slats all over it. I could rent a trailer, but I suspect it is a waste of money if throwing it in the truck isn't going to hurt it.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus

Z3n posted:

You've got a few options. Pick up a cheap harbor freight wheel chock and use that to secure it nicely and then strap it down, or just lean it up on the frame sliders and ratchet it to the wall. Uhaul doesn't like you transporting things filled with gas and oil in their trucks, but what they don't know won't hurt them.

Personally, I'd just get the chock. There's other ways to do it, but that'll be the easiest and the safest for the bike.

I guess the only question then is what do I bolt the chock to?

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus

Z3n posted:

it's got hooks that go through the edge of the "arms" on it, so you can run tie downs through that to the tie points on the floor.

The more research I do the more this becomes less researchable. All of the moving truck rental places I call have no idea which of their trucks have tie-down points on the floor, or what a tie point is :psyduck:. Any idea what my options are with a chock when there are no tie points on the floor?

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus

cmorrow001 posted:

Could you just go to the local U-haul and look inside one of the trucks? You could then determine if there is anything to tie the bike to.

I know they have side wall tie points, that's what all these places advertise. I'm also moving 1600 miles. I'd check on the bike at every gas stop, but it seems to me that the chock is a better idea. Guess I'll rent the truck first and see what I have to deal with.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
So turns out in my continued research on Arizona (where I'm moving) they have required emissions on anything with an engine bigger than 90cc. Now I'm wondering if I need that charcoal-whatsit on the CA version of my bike, or if that catalytic converter will be enough. It's a 2008 r6 with 6k miles on it and stock everything (including exhaust). I figure I'll be fine, but it'll be my only method of transportation and I know bikes can be notorious their fumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
My guess is it's the same as cars, though based on the ambiguity of the best website I could find I really have no idea. I know CA has different setups for bikes (like the charcoal-whatsit) and I'm wondering if that really makes or breaks the emissions test.