Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jabs posted:

Plenty of Fuel Injected bikes will have a fuel pump.

my carbed sv has a fuel pump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

-Inu- posted:

RPM's seem to be moot, but it does do it less above 60mph or so. It still happens, but it's not as bad as at low speeds. I just don't get why it doesn't happen with the bike in neutral.

By "in neutral" do you mean when you're coasting with the clutch in or do you have to actually shift into neutral?
When you get on the gas you're unweighting the front enough (either by compressing the back shock or because you've lost damping the front) which is interacting with the geometry of the bike causing it to weave.
check your front fork seals, rear shock and headstock bearings.
also you might have a badly worn front tyre, it may not be seem too worn down but uneven wear like cupping can cause funny handling issues.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

chryst posted:

She's like 135lb, which just seems like a lot of weight to add to a 400lb bike, I guess. The manual is pretty light on passenger setup. The tire sticker even specifies the same pressure for 2-up. Guess I'm good to go. :)

Up the rear (and front if possible) suspension preload a bit if you're carrying a passenger daily

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

makka-setan posted:

If the bike's charging system does not charge, how far can you safely ride on just the battery? I'll might have to wait a week or two for a new stator and/or rectifier and the weather is just too good to keep the bike in the garage.

the first time, maybe 10 miles, charge it again overnight maybe about the same then next few times its shorter and shorter as your battery self destructs,
if you ride fast its shorter, if you indicate it gets shorter, if you brake it gets shorter, if its cold its shorter, if you want to use your headlight its halved.

i know this because i went through about 5 R/Rs and one battery last year till i finally changed out my loom to get rid of the mystery intermittent short.

edit: i must point out that its an SV which makes its starter motor work awfully hard and it was winter so the cold really didnt help the battery

also i didnt buy 5 R/Rs i just cannibalised all the laid up bikes that i and my friends own. and if you are replacing your R/R get one of these http://www.roadstercycle.com/Vmax%20charging%20system%20repair.htm

echomadman fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 11, 2010

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Weinertron posted:

I've been riding for 3 months, and I finally got so busy that I went 5 days without riding. When I came back, my SV650 has nothing happen when I put the key to on. This was a bad surprise as I was planning to commute on it today, and left me late to work.

Anyway, if a battery has been discharged so far that I can't get a single light on the thing on, is it done for? I have a trickle charger and a 2nd battery that I'm going to swap in tonight, but is this completely dead battery gone for good?

If I'm only riding shorter distances, should I try to use the trickle charger often?

replied to your post in the other thread, but that sounds like you left it in park, or that your battery is failing. charge it up and see how it goes.
read the pdfs i linked to in the other thread and do the checks, its pretty fast to do them on an sv.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Weinertron posted:

Well, I'm an idiot with a broken electrical system. I just charged up my second battery, swapped it in, and nothing happens when I turn the ignition to on. I went ahead and checked all the fuses and they're good. What are the odds that the key cylinder would fail on an SV650? How easy are these things to hotwire if I want to hotwire it and ride it to the dealer to pay someone to fix it? :(

Anyway, I have a known good battery and nothing happens with key to ON. What's happening?

did you check the main fuse? its not in the block under the seat, its further down behind the black trim panel under s transparent green plastic cover (on the curveys) i think its under the riders seat on the pointys

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Alastor posted:

I've never had one this advanced

quote:

on the cutting edge of technology while sporting that appreciation for history.

I've read the specs on that bike a couple of times now and i don't see cutting edge or advanced anywhere.I know it has EFI but apart from thats its just an air cooled v-twin.
In terms of wrenching on it it'll be mostly the same as any other bike, if anything efi bikes are probably less hassle than carbed bikes. Get a clymer/factory manual and get stuck in.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ola posted:

20 days left of license suspension, might as well do the loving fork seals.

When I tried this before, the problem was I couldn't get the upper leg out because I couldn't get the bolt at the bottom off. It's the one that holds the damper rod in place. This time I thought I'd give it a go with the forks in place. The triple tree keeps it clamped into place while the spring force provides some friction against the damper rod.

But, as the UJM chorus goes, the bolts are made of lukewarm butter and are rounded and hopeless to get out. Can I drill them out? Any other tips appreciated, going to crosspost this over at thegsresources to tap that hivemind as well.

I'm a lonely wolf with leaking fork seals. :(

Don't rush into drilling it, get a set of torx head drivers, hammer in the one thats a good tight fit and hit it with an impact driver.
I had this exact problem on my bandit.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rontalvos posted:

I'm 5'10" and about 160lbs and I feel as though riding into a headwind at 65mph on the freeway is going to blow me off the back of the bike, or at least force me to recline over the tail, unless I keep a hard grip and literally hold my torso upright using the handlebars.
Am I doing something wrong, wrong technique, help? It's seriously unpleasant except for when the air is pretty still.

Like Ola said lower bars and a screen will help, but you should be holding yourself on the bike with your knees, back and ab muscles, sounds like you're death gripping the bars which makes a bike feel terribly unstable.
Your hand grip on the bars should be as light as holding a pack of crisps without crushing them.
i've ridden naked bikes up to around 130mph, above 70 you can just lean forward and the wind blast holds your weight

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tornhelm posted:

Is it that much of a problem if the bike stalls while idling in first? My new bike has done it ever since I bought it, so I've just adapted to keeping the clutch at least partially in (came from a CT-110 which has an automatic centrifugal clutch instead) or shifting it into neutral.

:psyduck:

read through that sentence again, keep in mind that normal motorbike clutches are not centrifugal

edit: do you mean while moving really slowly, its normal to slip the clutch a bit at walking speeds but if you're stopped the clutch has to be in or the bike has to be in neutral?

echomadman fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 25, 2010

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
video of said burnout?

Wheel bearings are easy if you change them before they fail catastrophically,37k miles is about typical from my experience, my SV needed rear bearings at 36, my buddys FZ6 at about 40k. There's probably a bearing in the sprocket carrier thats needs to be replaced too.

I usually just pick up the appropriate bearings in the local plant machinery spares place, as they're about 50% cheaper than bike shops for the exact same bearings.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

SlightlyMadman posted:

I've got a 2009 Bonneville, and I've been noticing ever since I got it that sometimes when I shift from 2nd to 1st there's a fairly pronounced sort of "kerchunk" I can both hear and feel with my foot. I just assumed that was it passing through neutral but wondered why it only happened sometimes (other times, I can still feel it pass through neutral but not nearly as much).

Now this morning I'm really worried because as I was shifting down coming to a stop (decelerating fairly rapidly from 3rd), as I went from 2nd to 1st it met serious resistance as it passed through neutral. I felt a strong rattling with my foot, and it made a sound like grinding gears.

I thought at first that I maybe didn't have the clutch all the way disengaged, but wouldn't I have noticed that seconds before, when I went from 3rd to 2nd? When I tried shifting again a couple seconds later, it went fine, and it didn't happen again for the rest of my ride.

Should I be worried about this?

That just sounds like your clutch isnt fully disengaging, the transition from 1st-2nd and 2nd to 1st is the one that usually involves the biggest difference in engine speed so its much more noticable than changing between other gears

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

cloudstrife2993 posted:

I have an issue with my xv750:

I went to change the oil, and after draining the old stuff I attempted to get the filter cover off... and I not only stripped the bolt, but the wrench as well! (these are allen bolts). How the hell do I get that bolt out? I went ahead and filled it up with fresh oil for the time being but I really need to replace that filter!

try hammering in a torx head bit thats slightly larger than the rounded out holes and then use an impact driver on that, i've had good luck with that in the past, you really need a good impact driver for working on old bikes

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tadhg posted:

I'll give this a try this weekend and see how it pans out. After doing some reading I've seen that some penetrating oil shot through the spark plug holes can help if it's only mildly stuck, as well as a long lever.

Any advice on things I should be wary of when testing this?

pour some diesel into the cylinders via the spark plug holes and let it sit for a day then try to turn over the engine with a ratchet and socket like ola suggested or a quick tap of the starter button (leave the plugs out)

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

Do any of you guys have a trick for unfreezing a motorcycle ignition? I was toying with the idea of slightly heating my key up with a lighter, but I figured I would ask here before I started torching anything.

I've had to do this a few times, but don't redden the key, heat it up till its just slightly too hot to touch, pop it in, leave it for a few seconds, take it out, heat it again, do this a few times before you try to turn it.
Its a last resort though, you can buy small cans of aerosol de-icer specifically for defrosting locks and keep it in your backpack.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I bought a '91 Bandit 400 last summer and rode it occasionally. I've had a blast with it, but I have a problem with how loud its muffler is.

I hope this isn't sacrilege to bring up, but is there a relatively cheap way to quiet it down? Its got an aftermarket muffler on it of course, pictured below:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

I emailed Yoshimura with pictures asking if they could I.D. it but they said it was old enough they didn't have any data on it.

I know I could try to find a stock exhaust and then get it re-jetted, but is there a simpler (cheaper) way? I've seen inserts available for some of Yoshi's off-road mufflers to get them street legal, but is it possible something like that exists for mine?

Have you more pics of that bandit? i think i recognise it from the old Banditalley forums.

Id advise you to repack the exhaust, all you have to do is drill out those rivets on the ends and take off the end caps. I did on my SV and it made a big difference.

If thats not enough then get a dB killer insert. I really cant stress enough that if this bike is running ok (apart from being loud) then leave the carbs the gently caress alone.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

-Inu- posted:

If you are chased by a dog:
A. Kick it away.
B. Stop until the animal loses interest.
C. Swerve around the animal.
D. Approach the animal slowly, then speed up.

Where's the "Flick Killswitch off for a second then on again" option

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

A Duck! posted:

The S2R 1000 was 15T, 42T stock. I was thinking about 14T, 44T.

The front sprocket is far easier to change than the rear, it's just two or three bolts on the sprocket cover then the sprocket is in the open.

I'm never at the extreme top end of things, I just want it a little smoother in traffic.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

going down a tooth in front (or up in the back) helps with snatchy FI because it means you're turning a higher rpm for a given speed and usually all the glitchyness is at small throttle openings/low rpms.
My SV is much nicer in traffic with -1 +1 gearing, you can crawl along in traffic with way less clutch slipping.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ola posted:

Wow is that PVC pipe?

Looks like steel to me

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

the walkin dude posted:

My 2000 SV650's acting up again with the battery. I bought a new battery recently because I suspected the 3 year old battery was going bad. The bike was fine for a few days then yesterday the gf went out to the bike and it refused to start and output a "NNNN" noise. Just like it did with the old battery - fine for an approximate week, then dies.

I remember the previous owner saying that he suspected the bike might need a new R/R. He got a GSXR R/R as a potential replacement and hasn't slapped it in there. He said he'd be able to mail it over to me. Is this a potential reason?

I plan to get a multimeter to check if the battery itself is charging.

Back on the battery tender the bike goes...

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf
If you cant get the gsxr one from that guy (it wont be any better than the stock one, just newer) get a Mosfet one, this guy sells nice kits with good connectors and all the wire you'll need http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen%20FH012AA%20Regulator%20upgrade%20kit.htm

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
It is that, he just called it a quick turn throttle, that site seems to be mostly dirtbikes but they're available for a lot of bikes. sometimes you can use one from a different model. R6 tubes are common swaps for sv650s

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ola posted:

You know those hush kits you can get for helmets? It's some sort of stretchy fabric which closes the space around the bottom of the helmet and kills 90% of the noise. Do they work with flip ups?

probably until you try to flip it up, but any one i ever looked at said they didn't work on the packet

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

thylacine posted:

The helmet I have fits, let me be more specific. I'd like - modular and drop down sun-shade + good fog protection because I wear glasses. And bonus if there is some kind of Bluetooth stereo link.

I just ordered a Shark Vision-R http://www.motocentral.co.uk/Shark-Vision-R-Syntic-Matt-Black-Silver-Anthracite_AZZ55.aspx
I tried one on at a bike show and it was very comfortable, and all the reviews say they're quiet and excellent for not fogging up.
They also have little removable inserts in the temples so you can wear glasses without the helmet crushing them into your head. My old Caberg was a nightmare for this to the point that i had to get new glasses, and i had to test them in the shop with my helmet on. That got me some odd looks.
Modular helmets arent worth it unless you spend a lot of money (i assume as the two cheap ones i've had sucked)

edit: there is also an optional bluetooth insert for these helmets but its out of my price range so i dont know a whole lot about it.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Is there any chance someone could point me to a guide or something for tuning the DRZ suspension? I've been searching the web for a little while and haven't come up with any information for someone my weight on an SM. I'm about 200 lbs without gear and probably 210-215 with it. Eventually I'll have the forks and rear shock resprung for my weight but for now I'm just trying to get it set up as best I can.

Anyone going to be on the central coast of CA this weekend? I'm going to be riding some street most likely. The bike has Bridgestone Bt003's on it and I'm a little weary about taking those on the dirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_70YesH_87w is an ok guide, have a look on http://drz400uk.org/ too there are loads of thread about swapping the rear spring and settin gup the bike.

edit, i ride a mile or so of a gravel road every day on a pretty bald set of dunlops, you should be fine on dirt/gravel with the bridgestones as long as its not mucky, just expect the bike to be wiggling under you

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Did DRZ's come stock with a Renthal bar? Mine has a Fatboy bar and I don't know if it was stock or if it was added on by the PO.

i have an 07 DRZ aswell and it has fatbars on it.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

2003 Ducati Monster 800Sie

What are these?

(corroded penny as size reference)

They dropped out from the engine when I started it up today. They're light plasticky, somewhat misshapen (looks like they are squished a little).

My bike is brand new (to me) I hope it's okay :ohdear:

probably a diy anti rattle kludge, but the could be from under your seat or tank.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

f_c_ posted:

I got a 75 Honda GL1000 for a little project bike. It has 3" Jardine pipes on it with no baffles and is horribly loud and obnoxious sounding. I want to try making my own baffles, something along the lines of this sketch and then wrap it with muffler packing

My question is how big to make the inner pipe and the holes i drill in it, I was thinking a 2" pipe with 1/4" holes?

The bike also idles pretty high which I think is because of the big pipes and no jet changes by the previous owner would a baffle have any effect on that?

I would use some sort of mesh for the tube rather than breaking your balls drilling holes. You could run one or two thin strips of steel between the caps for bracing, roll the mesh around a pipe of the right diameter to form the tube, then tack it to the strips in a few places along the length of the baffle

or something like this and you probably wouldn't need the strips http://www.metalsheets.co.uk/pages/perforated-stainless-steel-sheets

echomadman fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 5, 2012

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think the accepted consensus that the closest thing in the EU to seafoams mystery blend of herbs and spices was Subaru upper engine cleaner, which I have never been able to lay my hands on either.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

Old Helmets that you no longer use but never crashed:

1) Scrap
2) Goodwill
3) Sell for $25

??

I prefer this method of disposal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxMQBIv97y8

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

I decided to entirely remove my electric starter and associated hardware. Now I have an unused pushbutton on my handlebar that closes a circuit carrying 12 volts at a couple of amps. What new, fun thing should I connect it to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmaMNZTNEZY

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I would like to propose that after a certain point, when a person is clearly not going to take the sound advice offered, we let them go their merry way and reap the comedy rewards.
However, its important to do this without going too far in the opposite direction, say by overusing their name as a meme and constantly putting our I-told-you-so oars in to avoid creating another attention-seeking Obstinate-Defiant-Disorder having :10bux::10bux::10bux: spending egomaniac.

Basically, let these people live their own idiotic lives, why are you all in such a hurry to keep them in the gene pool?

edit: not specifically you fyallm, although you got my hopes up at first.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 21, 2012

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Call it compassion, I don't like the idea of somebody dieing needlessly when a few stern words may change that. Especially considering how everybody here tried to talk to me before I went and acted like a tard. I'm having way more fun getting back into riding the proper way and I want other riders to experience the same.

I'm not a bad dude, I just play one on TV.

your custom title tells me you didn't listen either, you had to go and do it your way.
I'm not saying don't give advice, just respect their right to make mistakes for themselves, maybe buy them a big red title if they've upset your sensibilities that much. they'll either wise up, or move along quietly after dumping a drunk girl off the back while doing a wheelie.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gnaghi posted:

I knew that pic was going to pop up. It's one year off from being my exact bike too. :v:

The hard part is grabbing the lever enough to swing the back up right away, then backing off a bit to maintain, all while your arms are locked and you feel like you're in the middle of a pushup or something.

It seems like it's a lot easier to wad your bike with stoppies then wheelies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MshErFSt7SE

This is what i'm afraid of every time i try a stoppie.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ghost Cactus posted:

Could I change the chain and sprockets on my F4i myself? Any special tools I'd need? The rear sprocket looks hooked, so I imagine the front one also is. And the chain is making a rattley racket more and more when I'm just pushing the bike around the garage. The chain has almost 20k miles on it, and I think the sprockets are original.

Should I just bring it to the shop?

One of these makes working on bikes a breeze even without a compressor.

http://www.toolsmithonline.com/products/Kawasaki%E2%84%A2-12V-DC-Impact-Wrench.html
not sure about that one but mine had crocodile clips to hook it to the bike battery like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IMPACT-GUN-12V-RAC-wrench-kit-sockets-ratchet-torque-car-spare-wheel-caravan-/160657841263
that and a chain tool are all you need. if you have a grinder thats great but a hacksaw is just as good

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

the walkin dude posted:

Grab a cheap multimeter from amazon, and we can help you use it. Charge up your battery in the meanwhile with a battery tender.

The R/R went out in my 2000 SV650, too. The R/R replacement task was daunting as I was clueless. And I didn't want to bring it into a mechanic. So I had my dad (engineer) mail me a few books on electronics fiddling. Learned how to solder and crimp wires (easy, with practice). Then I followed a guide on svrider.com (there hopefully should be one for vfr's considering how widespread the problem apparently is). I managed to get one thing wrong: switched red and black cables leading from the new R/R to the battery and fuse. So the fuse kept on blowing. Finally I had a friend come and check it out and he pointed out the error. That was a very happy day.

Now I have a new 2001 SV650 with the stock R/R. I'm prepared this time around!

there should be some sort of forums bot that posts this pdf whenever someone says "dead battery" or "rectifier"
http://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

edit: also if your R/R is dead don't bother buying an oem replacement, these mosfet ones are way better http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen%20FH012AA%20Regulator%20upgrade%20kit.htm

Walking Dude i'd get one and fit it now rather than wait for the stock one to go

echomadman fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 11, 2012

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Meister Otter posted:

Wandered back over there and tried to get it to turn over and it's all locked up. Any idea on how much it would cost to fix that thing?

He also has a little Honda 90, looks like this to a T, turns over just fine and has really low mileage as well. Any thoughts on that?

pour some diesel down the spark plug hole and leave it for a day or two then try to turn it over again.

or get the honda, but that dt150 looks sweet.

actually just get them both.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

KozmoNaut posted:

There have been some rumblings in the EU about making ABS mandatory on all new bikes, just as ABS and now ESP is on all new cars.

People have been mumbling about how much of a price hike we'll see. I don't think it'll be too bad.

It'd have to be a fail-safe system, so non-ABS would only be a fuse pull away

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Care to suggest some reading? I'm more than willing to learn about this stuff

http://www.dansmc.com/electricaltesting.htm
and the electrosportpdf should be plenty, there really isn't much to bike electrics

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

the walkin dude posted:

The gf's SV, which clearly fits that diagram:

Mah SV:

The shift rod is longer for those OSF rearsets.
So it's a MotoGP pattern, indeed? Dunce time for me

Even with the longer shift rod, the clamp should be in the same position as the other SV, I'm assuming?

Yes when you press down the shift lever the gear selector should turn clockwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

the walkin dude posted:

I fixed it! Back to shifting normalcy. That's something new for me. Thanks guys.

However... I'm back to having to position my ankle on the peg just to shift, or lift my foot to shift. The P.O. was a shorter guy so this setup fit him. Does this mean I need a new shorter shifter rod or can I adjust the spline clamp to deviate from the dictated position?

As long as its turning the right way you can move it around a bit on the splines of the shaft to find the right height for you.

edit: once you find it put a mark on the shaft and collar so you can line it up faster in future.