Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Wonder Weapon posted:

My 98 Honda CBR 600 didn't have enough juice to turn over this morning after sitting for a few days.

The battery is new this season, so that shouldn't be the issue. I know that I replaced the regulator on this bike before, but that was years ago, so I'm thinking it may have gone again. I tested it by putting my multimeter on the 200 ohms setting and testing these three yellow wires:

I checked A&B, B&C, A&C. On each pair, the numbers cycled through randomly, just as they do when you touch the two leads together. Does that mean my regulator is dead again, or did I not test it properly?

follow this guide and you'll figure it out, also put your meter on a lower range if it has it.
https://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Anyone got their dog on a bike before? Have a 6 mo boy. I have a general idea. Practice bringing him to and from the bike, maybe have someone pass him off to you, incorporating treats. I'm more worried about the noise. I have a luggage rack (DRZ 400 SM) so I'm not sure if I'm going to try to figure out a mounted box of some sort, a backpack baby carrier, or just have him sit in front. He might be slightly too large as an adult for a box on the back. Should be 25 lbs grown.

If you still have the stock exhaust it should be ok, it'd be cruel to put a dog on a DRZ with an aftermarket exhaust though. My dog used to ride on my old BMW F650 sitting between me and my ex.

I wanted to make something like this but he hates my DRZ with its current exhaust :(

http://i.imgur.com/RE1RvQQ.jpg
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/dog-carrier.733528/

echomadman fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 12, 2015

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

MustardFacial posted:

:siren: I can't ride a bike. I'm just curious :siren:

How likely are you to be killed in an accident if you're fully kitted out in gear? I know that wearing all of your gear will turn a fatal accident into one where you just like break an arm or something, but how far back does gear push that line between "dead" and "not dead"?

For example, let's say you are fully kitted out in back, shoulder, elbow, hip/rear end armour, a good set of armoured boots, armoured textile pants, textile jacket, armoured gloves, and helmet. How bad are your injuries expected to be given the following situations:

- Rear ended by a car at a stop light. Car was slowing down, but not enough to stop before hitting you.
- T-boned turning left in an intersection by a guy who runs the red
- merged into on the highway forcing your bike off the road* and into a drainage ditch where you lose control and crash (you are currently doing 100km/h)
- going around a corner at 60km/h, you hit a patch of gravel and wipe out.

*I don't know what the safe exits are for bikes in this situation. Please humour me.

This video covers a lot of the potential injuries from different types of motorcycle crashes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsZBXlTHPCg

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ola posted:

Thanks guys. I wonder if I can by with just a sheet of neoprene (as sold for divers etc) and some zip ties.There's no special coating or layer on it, right?

That way I can cut to exact dimensions. Also thinking about vinyl wrapping my tank and other mods, might be a project thread in this.

You can glue neoprene with wetsuit repair kits, use some stitching to hold the joint closed while it sets up

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

M42 posted:

How many of you change your own tires? One of my friends who worked at a shop for a short time says never to do it yourself (with tire levers etc), you'll rip the tire, etc etc. Most other people don't seem to have such strong feelings. I ask cause I've got a track tire and a street tire now, and I can't really keep shelling out $40 every time I want to swap the two.

I do my own, i have a diy rig for bead breaking and a diy version of the no-mar bar GnarlyCharlie mentioned.
It still a pain in the arse, in a track day situation I'd buy a second set of rims/brake disks, mount the race tyres to them and swap back and forth.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Verge posted:

Would just using hand signals work?

What's the hand signal for headlight?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

I wonder if shady used-car salesmen have figured out how to change the EEPROM values in a modern digital odometer yet? I really doubt there's any kind of serious security involved.

Its big business clocking cars on the second hand market here. although now the annual inspection includes the mileage on the cert, so that at least sets a minimum value that they can reset to. That presupposes that you got a valid inspection cert in the first place though.

http://nmr.ie/car-clocking/

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

Bought a DR 650. Currently buying all the armors and things and stuff to git dirty. Apparently a PO has managed to lose the bar ends. The stock handlebar is regarded as flimsy and I don't like the stock grips anyway, and I think I want maybe another inch of height on it to allow more comfort while standing, so I think a bar replacement would be a cool thing to do.

Are the 1 1/8th inch bars I see like pro-tapers fat throughout the length of the bar, thus necessitating the replacement of basically everything that goes on them, or are they, as the name would suggest, tapered to be thicker in the middle but still 7/8 at the end.so the only thing needed is some modified clamps at the triple?

And of course I assume I'll need to get new bar ends to match the new bars in order to install real handguards as well as control vibes?

Pro tapers and Fatbars are all normal sized where the throttle/levers mount, but stuff like handguards usually need a different inside mount. As you said you need different clamps on the triple aswell.
these guys are doing a DR650 build series at the moment
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEQwA8Brt84qNpRZ8nknm7xU8Q8R6yTPS

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

captainOrbital posted:

I guess if anyone's going to pinch your tubes, it should be a professional.

You should let them go through one heat cycle first though

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Revvik posted:

It's like that. Just got it back today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqZYgReuywM

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jazzzzz posted:

It's the season for wet piles of leaves in the corners too. Good times

I have a nice big burn scar on the inside of my leg from hitting a patch of leaves while pulling out of a petrol station forecourt years ago on my first bike.

I managed to fall in a way that tweaked the little finger on my left hand back to the point of almost breaking and trapped my left hand on the ground under the bars, while my right leg slipped off the peg, the peg caught and pushed my overpants/trouser leg up, leaving my bare leg to rest on the exhaust header.
The pain of the finger outweighed the leg, and i spent a few long seconds wrestling the bike off my hand while my calf sizzled like bacon.

I immediately jumped up, adrenaline lifted the bike up, started it and rode away before anyone could walk over and witness my rage/shame, which meant that my pants stuck to the huge open wound on my leg and had to be peeled off when i got home.

gently caress wet leaves.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

well, thank god for that

dasharez0ne is really going hard on that merchandise grift.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

MomJeans420 posted:

Had a bunch of work done on my bike recently, including a coolant change, and my bike runs noticeably warmer when I have slower speed riding after being on the freeway for a while. I'm assuming there's some air in the cooling system and it needs to be bled, but if that's the case would it make sense that my bike seems to be running normal temps while on the freeway? I don't know what else it would be though.

At first I wasn't sure if I was just remembering how hot my bike runs when it warms up, but today it was only 65 degrees outside and I hit 7 bars on my temp gauge, and I'm pretty sure it used to only be at 5 in this kind of weather.

Could be air in the system, moving faster is going to cool the motor more at a given rpm than slow speed traffic. might also be that your fan isn't coming on, which would have the same symptoms.
Check the connectors to the fan and from the thermostat.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Renaissance Robot posted:

Normal behaviour: tail light comes on when key is turned to on (before engine start).

Current behaviour turn key to on, no tail light. Brake light still works prior to engine start. Post engine start, still no tail light. Jiggle the wiring harness around my handlebars, still nothing, no flickering, it just stays unlit.

Ride 30 miles home, dismount, tail light is on now. gently caress knows when that happened. Further jiggling of harness doesn't induce any flicker, so it doesn't seem like a broken wire. Hit killswitch, engine dies but light stays on. Turn key to off, lights go out. Turn key back on, tail light doesn't come on. Restart engine, still no light.

How do I even begin to trace this :psyduck:

LED or incandescent bulb? If its a bulb a broken filament can sometimes weld itself back together when its flailing around while you're driving and you get a little more time out of it.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

epalm posted:

Well of course it's the same thing, I'm just fascinated that anyone would consider the stick part of a paintbrush to be the "head" instead of the "tail".

New Zealand has a dearth of native wildlife with tails, so naturally the sticky outey bit is the head and the fluffy part is the arse

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Or you know you can just post helpful stuff without trying to channel 2005 style edgelord energy. Nobody is going to care how much knowledge you have if it’s delivered with all the grace of the IT guy from SNL.

Calling people out when they post total horseshit advice isn't edgelordy.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

I went to buy pinesol once but it was $40 for a 800ml bottle so I got four bottles of kerosene instead. It seems like magical stuff but gently caress paying synthetic engine oil prices for a cleaner.

PineSol is Dettol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

prukinski posted:

Howdy howdy,

I've got a pseudo-nephew that's reasonably mechanically apt in a smart bush kid kind of way, but newish to riding and has some SV 650 problems. I've pointed him here to hammer y'all with questions, and no-doubt it'll be the best $10 he's ever spent on that beater POS. But in the meantime - as he's in a jam before a planned trip - here's what's confounding him while he rustles up a tenner:

Any troubleshooting thoughts?

sounds like carb icing, the SV is prone to it in cold damp conditions, there are heaters in the carb bowls, chack that they're connected.

edit: beaten, didnt see there was another page on the thread

echomadman fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 28, 2022