Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
I asked in the thread I posted, but I figured more people have this thread bookmarked than that one...

I put 2002 R6 forks on my SV, and I want to replace the fork oil and seals, since there's a horrible clunk type noise when it hits a pothole or other very abrupt bump. I'm trying to get all the parts that I need ordered, and I thought there are supposed to be upper and lower sliders for the fork tube that need to be replaced, but on Bike Bandit's and Ronayers' fiche I only see one? Also, what kind of oil should I buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
I've been told that it's okay to slip the clutch on a motorcycle. That's as opposed to a car, where it's not okay, right? Is that just a design feature of bikes (if so, why?) or is it because bikes tend to have wet clutches and cars tend to have dry clutches? What about dry-clutched Ducatis?

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
So you're saying GP bikes have dry clutches? Do racers put dry clutches on bikes that had wet clutches originally?

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Nerobro posted:

Yes. Sometimes they do. The early GSX-R750R's had dry clutches, while the normal GSX-R750's had wet clutches. There are conversion kits for lots of bikes too.

Dry clutches have the singular advantage of not being bathed in oil. That means you're not blowing horsepower slinging oil off the clutch. That's also their disadvantage.

Oil bathed clutches wear less. They stay cooler. They are quieter. They have one less oil seal to worry about. Wet clutches rule. :-)

Interesting. So why is it so desirable to be able to slip the clutch on a bike (Either on the track or the street) vs. a car?

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

waptang posted:

I'm 24 and pay $230 a year for full coverage on an 03 SV650 with Progressive. I've had some tickets and accidents in the past, but I think they're all off my record now.

This is why comparing insurance rates is nonsense. I have almost the same bike, same age, same company, and I pay five times that. Zip code is a huge factor. My insurance went down about $300 when I moved my bike fifteen miles closer to downtown.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Is there a goon-approved source for spare Honda parts, or should I buy OEM parts from the company, or just surf eBay, or what?

My Honda-riding buddies like https://www.servicehonda.com

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Lawn posted:

Has anyone heard of QLink before? They make a supermoto that looks pretty cool, but I've never heard of them. Supposedly the XF 200 uses a Suzuki DR200 motor, and they're really cheap (MSRP ~2600).

http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/Qlink-Xf200-Supermoto-Sport-Motorcycle.aspx

http://www.qlinkmotor.com/product.php?id=46

My neighbor has a QLink scooter. I don't really have any experience with them, but from what I understand they're a Chinese company, with a reputation for poor reliability and build quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Infinotize posted:

Hopefully someone who isn't an idiot at soldering can help me. I needed to solder a few connections and join a couple wires via solder on my bike today. I had a pencil type iron of 25 watts and some of the wires were thicker, ie 12 gauge, so I grabbed an 85 watt gun type iron. I let the thing warm up and try to get some solder on the tip, but it wouldn't even melt it. I had it on for maybe 20 seconds total (intermitently, not 20 seconds straight), and I had barely melted any solder and the thing just sparked and stopped working. I tried the other iron and had no luck either- barely able to melt solder much less heat up the joint enough.

My plan now is to get an iron or gun of at least 100 watt power that isn't made like a piece of poo poo, and try again. I don't know how soldering could be so difficult. In the meantime my bike will sit while several critical connections hang loose or spliced and I can't get them back together (crimp connects aren't viable for what I'm doing and it has to be soldered).

It was 35-40 degrees outside, and no I don't have anywhere else to work. I'm not sure if it was too cold, my irons were lovely, my soldering inexperience or some of each.

I thought you weren't supposed to solder connections on a bike because vibration makes the joints break? You're supposed to use crimped-on connectors instead?