Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malpenix Blonia
Nov 27, 2004

My bike ('78 CB400T) is still applying generous amounts of soot to the inside of the exhaust. Both cylinders appear to be running quite rich. I've taken apart the carbs and haven't found anything obviously wrong. Are there any sort of adjustments to be made or is it time to start ordering new hardware?

Also, is there a beginner-friendly guide to carbs? I would probably know what to try if I had any idea which parts did what.

I still haven't taken my microfilm to the library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpenix Blonia
Nov 27, 2004

Does anyone know of a good place to get tiny metric o-rings? I killed one of the ones that interfaces with the pilot screws with carb cleaner and the bike doesn't seem to like going without them.

The bike is a 1978 CB400T, the carbs are Keihin, and the o-ring is about 5mm OD and 3mm ID.

This place is the only source I can find for them, and I'm not exactly ready to trust them with my credit card number, for reasons that are apparent.

Malpenix Blonia
Nov 27, 2004

Z3n posted:

A lot of dealerships will stock Keihin O-ring kits, if you can find someone who's not a part # lookup monkey at your local dealership, you can probably match one out of there.

I think this particular o-ring is only available (from the dealer) as part of a 'gasket set' which is ~$20 per carb.

Uthor posted:

I don't know what material you need, but McMaster has packs of o-rings for sale in those dimensions. Not sure if you really want to spend $6+ on 25-100 o-rings when you only need one, though.

This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I'd much rather spend $6 on 25 o-rings from McMaster-Carr than spend $6 on 4 o-rings from some sketchy site.

I just hope that the o-rings are the reason why my bike is refusing to idle.

Malpenix Blonia
Nov 27, 2004

Malpenix Blonia posted:

:argh: o-rings :argh:

I installed the o-rings and messed around with the idle a bunch and it idles like a champ now. I think most of my problem was a wildly misadjusted idle.