Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polynomial
Mar 23, 2005

Look, I'm a liberal guy, voting for Obama, yada yada.
Question about throttle response. I've been trying to be smooth with my throttle control since I started riding. One thing that I've noticed was that when I slowly roll on the throttle, the RPMS go up correspondingly. However, when I slowly roll off the throttle, I see a much quicker decline in RPMS...almost too quick.

Is this normal for an '88 ZX600 Ninja (C1), or do my carbs need syncing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polynomial
Mar 23, 2005

About engine breaking: does fuel injection lessen the force of engine breaking? Just curious.

Polynomial
Mar 23, 2005

I just changed the oil in my '88 ZX600 C1 (put in 10W40), and I think I've added too much. After doing some riding, when the temperature needle started to get into normal operating range, the bike's idle would run way below 1k, and the engine wouldn't kick in with torque until I gassed it for a bit. When the bike got even warmer, it'd just stall.

Yes, the window seems overfilled, but my question is if those symptoms sound typical for having put in too much oil?

Polynomial
Mar 23, 2005

Got a question about my 1988 ZX600 C1.
Few weeks ago, I was dumb and changed the oil filter, thinking that majority of the oil would escape through that opening... Then I added a bunch more oil. (I work in a dimly lit underground garage, recently remedied by a flashlight).

Long story short, I took the bike for a ride, and after a few miles a delay developed between when I opened the throttle and when the bike accelerated. Eventually the bike stalled. After managing the get home, I put the bike away for 2 weeks and haven't looked at it until now.

Today I:
- Changed 2 of the spark plugs, noticing that there's some oil on them
- Cleaned the air filter from oil residue
- Drained the oil properly and filled it up to a proper level (checked after running the engine a bit).

Here's the problem:
- After twisting the throttle, the RPMS pick up, but then they promptly drop and the bike stalls.
- I can start it on either choke, or the throttle fully open, but it won't stay running for long with just the throttle open, or on idle without choke
- When running it on choke, the rpms don't pick up after some time like they normally would

Any ideas as to what the hell is happening?

Polynomial
Mar 23, 2005

Polynomial posted:

Got a question about my 1988 ZX600 C1.
Few weeks ago, I was dumb and changed the oil filter, thinking that majority of the oil would escape through that opening... Then I added a bunch more oil. (I work in a dimly lit underground garage, recently remedied by a flashlight).

Long story short, I took the bike for a ride, and after a few miles a delay developed between when I opened the throttle and when the bike accelerated. Eventually the bike stalled. After managing the get home, I put the bike away for 2 weeks and haven't looked at it until now.

Today I:
- Changed 2 of the spark plugs, noticing that there's some oil on them
- Cleaned the air filter from oil residue
- Drained the oil properly and filled it up to a proper level (checked after running the engine a bit).

Here's the problem:
- After twisting the throttle, the RPMS pick up, but then they promptly drop and the bike stalls.
- I can start it on either choke, or the throttle fully open, but it won't stay running for long with just the throttle open, or on idle without choke
- When running it on choke, the rpms don't pick up after some time like they normally would

Any ideas as to what the hell is happening?

Update: I drained 3 of the 4 float bowls, and got the bike warm.

Now when the throttle is open, the RPMS keep up (with the choke closed). When the throttle is closed, the bike sputters at about 600rpms, with brief spikes to proper idling speed (a bit over 1k rpms) every few seconds. There's a definite time pattern to when the spikes occur. Also, it won't start without the choke on.

Polynomial
Mar 23, 2005

Z3n posted:

What's the oil level at? Is it at the correct level now? What about the 4th float bowl?

Correct now. I didn't have a screw driver long enough to reach the last float bowl.

Polynomial
Mar 23, 2005

I drained the last float bowl and here's what was in there:

So I put a bunch of Sea Foam in the tank, started the bike (though that took some time), and it seemed to idle fine on choke. After warming up for a bit, it idled alright without choke, but I still left a bit of the choke on just in case.

Next, I went to the gas station and filled it up with 93, added more Sea Foam stuff, and went riding. After about a mile and a half, the same thing as before started to happen: the engine would lug in low RPMs, so I had to keep the throttle open at stops to get home. The problem progressed as tim ewent on (over the next mile or so), although the rate at which it progressed slowed.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polynomial
Mar 23, 2005

Wooo! The Sea Foam seems to be working. The bike starts and idles fine, albeit runs a bit hot since I accidentally let out some of the coolant.

Speaking of which, can I just top off the overflow or do I need to go to the radiator? (It's a Ninja ZX600 C1).