Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

moxieman posted:

Questions Thread: What’s the best way to carry a baguette? This is all I could come up with. It worked.

like this dude on his Ninja that I saw earlier this summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

As a person that also hasn’t taken his advice, I think he’s great and also (usually) objectively correct.

Dad energy describes it well. Folks are like “You’re right, but I don’t want to do that.” And then he still helps anyway.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

You’ve explained this better than the training courses I’ve taken or found on YouTube, so thanks for laying this out. I don’t think anything else I’ve seen has talked about using the fork dive so purposely.

The main road near my house I need to take to get most places is 25 mph and has some pretty decent turns in both directions, so I have great places to practice this on my way to a parking lot to practice the other slow speed stuff.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I am glad I sprung the trap.

I had too long of a day to go on a ride after work, but I’m hoping to tomorrow and will probably read this 4 or 5 times.

Do you think this applies to my scooter as well? It certainly feels like I’m putting everything on that back wheel when I really push a corner.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The way I’m thinking through this, if the optimum speed to go through the turn is x[/], then since I’m on a Harley, my best best is to be sure I’m going x-2 or whatever before I enter the curve so I can accelerate back up to [i]x as I enter so I’m always on that back tire.

Am I understanding that correctly?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I’m hardly an expert, but I’ve been really happy with the quality of stuff I’ve seen and gotten from SW-Motech. Those Germans are very precise.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I don't hate it on my scooter, which is probably the perfect use case. There's just no way to make a cheapish scooter have ABS at a reasonable price point. Especially if you're looking at the 50cc market.

Probably even better if it didn't have it at all, but mine has pretty good brakes for what it is.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

From what I can find online as a lay-person, the cop is full of poo poo.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Most of the helmet mounts are an adhesive, so it’s really not what they’re claiming. I get why they might think they can charge it, but I’ll bet it’s a near 100% rate of being thrown out when someone contests it at all.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I can’t stand Bikes and Beard dude. His channel is just Yammie Noob in the Midwest. Nothing informative, rarely anything interesting, and the channel is so blatantly capitalist that the Bible verses are more offensive than they should be.

My brother is covered in religious tattoos and there are crosses and fish all over his gear. We don’t agree on things, but I respect that its sincere from him. B&B dude is the opposite of sincere.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

T Zero posted:

Pennsylvania is not the Midwest :colbert:

At least half of it is and you know it.

I saw a few videos where he started leaning that way but stopped before he got all the way there. I dislike him, as a person.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

It used to be a much bigger issue than it is now, from my understanding. But just like the “all Harleys leak oil” poo poo that’s been outdated since at least the 90’s, we’re stuck hearing about problems boomers had when they were 25 until the heat death of the universe.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Depending where you’re at, you may still need a motorcycle license for a Trail 125. The laws are usually written with a cc threshold, not based on form factor.

Ebikes really rule. I love scooters, but you might be able to do everything you want on an ebike.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

They’ll often have scooters available, but I’d still suggest doing it with a motorcycle so you get some practice with the clutch and shifting. You can always ride something that doesn’t have a clutch and have an easy time, but if you ever want to ride something with one you’ll be better prepared.

My partner did the MSF twice because she never got around to the written portion and her first one expired. The second time she was going to do it on her Himalayan, but they wouldn’t allow anything over I think 300 cc. Maybe 250.

It’ll definitely be a small bike unless you’re in a very specific kind of class.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Slavvy posted:

In America this consists of putting them on a sportster 1200 with a complementary brain bucket

I’ll have you know I did not get a free helmet. :colbert:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I started getting “real” gear before I ever decided to get a “real” motorcycle and I’ve never regretted it. You’re either better protected than the average scooter rider or you’re future-proofed for bigger, faster vehicles.

The only downside is the money spent. And even then, buying $300 on junk you wear for one season and then spend $1000 to buy much better stuff next year isn’t nearly as efficient as getting the best stuff you can afford/makes sense from jump.

My cheap 3/4 helmet and Sedici jacket are occasionally useful to grab when one of us is in the garage and wants to try out something we’ve done to one of the bikes, but they just hang there for about 362 days a year.

Most people will say helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, pants, in that order. Some debate there of course, but it’s important to remember that your hands and your head are often the first things to hit the ground.

I’m not an expert voice, but I was asking most of the same questions a few years ago. Listen to everything Slavvy says lol. Come take advantage of the newbie thread.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

No personal experience, but if you can get access to physical therapy, I think that’s going to be your best way to get a lot of this answered.

They can give you exercises to do to get back in shape, let you know what to watch for, and probably give some advice on what kind of boot to look for, etc. Especially if you’re up front that this is your goal.

If you get a PT that just tells you not to ride, then get a different one. There are usually lots in any place that offers the service, so you can shop a bit if you don’t gel.

I work for a rehab clinic, so I see some of the miracle work they do and my bad hip that restricts what kind of riding position I can be in had calmed down a ton since I did a round and took the sheet of exercises they gave me home to pull out when things get bad again.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I had a workers comp doctor claim you couldn’t get carpal tunnel from computer work (I won my case and 2 surgeries and more than 15 years later, I still have some lost range of movement in my wrist). Seconding that you should definitely also check in with a doctor whose pay isn’t based on how many claims they can deny.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

It might be a matter of breaking down the motion and possible weight involved.

Are you going to have to lean a bike on to your good foot for the rest of your life? 6 months? A year? Are you fine with something like an ADV boot, but should avoid armored shoes?

I think you might be able to make some progress towards them being able to understand what you need by basing it on things like that. Try to find ways to measure what riding a motorcycle will entail. Range of motion, weight, necessary support, etc.

The move to doing some stationary bicycling is a big deal and sounds like a big step forward.

Sorry I don’t have anything direct. I speak PT pretty well because I work with them a lot, but I spend most of my time helping out the pediatric providers so I know my advice is somewhat limited.

I make no promises, but I’ll see if I can get a chance to pick someone’s brain or something.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

My Royal Alloy scooter has a center stand and it takes just enough effort to get it started that I end up using too much force and sort of flinging it on to it.

The OEM center stand kit for the Bonneville was on back order last time I looked and by all accounts the TEC one out there is crap, so I’ve been putting that off but I think it’s inevitable. I get by fine with our cheap Harbor Freight jack, but I know I’m going to be real happy I have that stand (or real sad I don’t have it) the first time something goes wrong while I’m far from home.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I really like my Insta360 One X2, but I’m probably going to add an Osmo Action 3 my partner bought and then kind of forgot about to my helmet during my long trip next week. One of my favorite YouTubers, As the Magpie Flies did a video about why she prefers the Osmo over GoPro.

The footage on the Insta360 can be a little buggy because while the software is surprisingly good at editing 360 into a flat image, it’s still taking a lot of information and then compressing/chucking most of it. The app to edit is really good, though. And I think it’s fun and easy to edit the raw footage into something that moves and has a tight focus.

All of these things have their limits, of course. I’m kind of surprised GoPro keeps their market share given how lovely they seem to be.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Is there any maintenance I should do to my Bonneville that I’m not thinking of?

I just finished a 2,508 mile trip and the coolant and oil I topped off before leaving are still sitting right where they’re supposed to be.

I was considering doing an oil change even though the service manual doesn’t require one until 1 year or 10K miles (I’m above 5K now).

Tires seem to be happy. Bike’s gas mileage is creeping up (unless I’m riding like an rear end in a top hat). Chain is cleaned and lubed and feels good. Everything seems to be perfect and I just want to keep it that way.

I also had a 1 mph oopsie on a gravel road I took a wrong turn on that I don’t think I could ride any bike on and need to source an OEM brake lever and pedal. So far, that seems to be a pain in the rear end. Am I just stuck asking my dealer for one? Not a huge rush since the pedal can probably be bent back into place and my lever just has the ball broken off the end.

The other very minor scratches are on some covers I’ve been considering replacing anyway. Gotta farkle and bling the bike just right.

Really glad I had my good boots on so that my drop on to a dirt bank that trapped my leg for a second didn’t turn into something serious. Could have twisted my ankle pretty good but instead I just yanked my leg out and got to pulling the bike up.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I pulled in for the 600 mile service at exactly 600 miles after circling some parking lots because I was at 599.

Next required maintenance is 10K.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, I got a “would you be willing to finance the bike or take payments?” and I was like lol.

Most of what I’ve gotten that may have been a scam was very obviously a possible scam.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

There’s a great Fortnine video about Snell being pretty meaningless.

The Snell Helmet Standard is Meaningless

Did he do a follow up on that at some point? I can’t remember off the top of me head.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I have ridden thousands and thousands of miles with a Quadlock with the vibration dampener and my iPhone camera works just fine. Including a 2500 mile road trip where I had no idea where I was going so it was on the handlebars the whole time.

Both on my Harley Roadster and my much smoother T120 Bonneville.

I recognize that it could still break, but I drop it constantly too so I have accepted that at some point the phone will not take kindly to the way I treat it. I’ve seen people talk about breathing on their phone and having it explode or whatever, but I have never had any issues.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

One of my side covers fell off my Bonneville a while back and I replaced them both. One with a number plate I still haven’t put anything on and the other with a black side cover from BAAK.

I’d like to replace the “Bonneville T120” lettering on the plain side and get a number on that plate. The most obvious, economic solution is to get some vinyl lettering cut but I’m having a bit of a hard time finding a place that does what I want thanks to SEO optimization and the absolute ton of places doing custom stickers.

Anyone have any good experiences with a place that will do a vinyl cutout (not a solid block) in a specific color? I’ve bought similar lettering before, but it was a pre-printed, plain black Star Trek ship registry number and not custom lettering I supplied.

Sans goon recommendation I’m leaning towards calling local car vinyl wrap places and seeing if one of them can make it for me.

Eventually I’d like to pay someone to paint something spiffy on the number plate but I’m tired of looking at the plain plate while I figure out what I want and look for someone to do it.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

At over 8K miles, the rear tire on my Bonneville is finally starting to show some squaring. Came stock with Michelin Road Classics and I’ve been super happy with them. Very predictable grip, held up to me doing road trips and gravel and everything else with my fat rear end and whatever poo poo I hauled with me. I also know the Road 6 is great, but I’m inclined to keep on keeping on with these since I had such a good experience with the first set of tires.

I’ll have them assess the front tire when I do my 10K/1 year service but I may be able to pull off 2 rear to 1 front. Or it’ll at least be a bit before it needs to be replaced, too.

Any big reason I should consider the Road 6 or similar? Y’all know tires a lot better than I probably ever will so I really appreciate your perspective.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I haven’t aired down previously because it’s usually impulsive, short trips. I should in the future, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I think that sounds great. You could also look at scooters since they don’t have a clutch and are frickin’ ideal for short trips like that.

I get going for the Navi if you’re feeling the motorcycle itch, though.

I’d also say anything electric that catches your fancy, but they’re just not cheap yet. Even electric scooters are a pretty penny.