Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.
If contacting Shoei doesn't work out: Shoei Base Plate Kits from New Enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

Christoff posted:

So what's the deal with helmet shields/visors? My two shoei ones both have clear shields.

DiZ and I both have Shoei helmets, and tinted visors to go with our clear ones. Sunglasses underneath a clear visor can work, but the arms on my Oakleys are too round to fit comfortably inside my helmet, plus the polarised lenses make everything look trippy through the plastic visor. And you feel dumb when you try to remove your helmet without taking off your sunglasses. I'd recommend the darkest tinted visor, I have been told that the light tint is pointless, Iridium looks nice but is more expensive and scratches very easily.

Shoei helmets have such an easy-to-use visor swap system that you needn't worry about inconvenience in this area. I can literally swap visors in 15 seconds.

Carrying the other visor around, I recommend keeping it inside the fabric bag that comes with your helmet, then you can put this in your backpack, or (if you're not a fatty) sling the bag under your shoulder so that the visor is around your torso. This can look a bit odd, but you can have it underneath your jacket. I have heard of people with leathers carrying them in this fashion just between the leathers and their body, but you can't do this with just a jacket since it's liable to fall out the bottom.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

Shoei visors are not universal, although there is some crossover between helmet models. Look on your visor, the model should be printed on there, right hand side on mine.

Iridium is the reflective finish, but it scratches really easily, and I think it doesn't block as much light, but not sure on that. But I guess it does look pretty cool.

Just buy it from wherever is cheapest, probably a good chance of that being New Enough if you're in the US.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

sectoidman posted:

How safe are those rubber-string-based plug kits to ride on?

I had a puncture on my rear wheel, inside a groove, and someone plugged it with a kit as you describe. It held air just fine over several days of riding, until I had it replaced with a 'permanent' mushroom plug, just in case.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

I rode to Diz's place today, and to announce my arrival I decided to rev my engine obnoxiously, but after I did this, the engine stalled. Not a big deal, since I was about to turn it off anyway, but what's up with that? Is it some characteristic of carbed engines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

I've noticed on my Hornet that when I let the clutch out in neutral, I can feel and hear what I presume is stuff spinning in the gearbox. Is this normal?

Also, I can sometimes hear a tinking noise under acceleration, haven't figured out what that is yet, whether it's the bike itself or stuff being thrown off the rear tyre and hitting underneath the seat. I hope it's not detonation? Bike manual says it only needs 91 RON, so I just use regular unleaded.