Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
This is not quite as general as you asked for, but F9 has a pretty good analysis of the different chain lube types out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnPYdcbcAe0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
Newbie question: When starting up my bike (CBR 250cc) when it hasn't been running for a few hours/days, the engine turns over, idles roughly for a few seconds, and then stalls and turns off. When I start it up again, it fires up right away and settles into a smooth idle, and there are no other noticeable issues.

Is this a problem? How would I fix it?

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

Slavvy posted:

This is happening because the engine's high idle system can't react fast enough, probably because it's tuned borderline lean at idle for *reasons*, it's a very common thing on lots of injected bikes especially if you have a pipe. The 'right' way is to find some way of modifying/remapping the EFI, not something anyone bothers with on learner bikes but you might get lucky. The realistic way is to just give it some throttle until it'll idle on it's own.

Gotcha. Yep, if I give it a rev right after I start it, it'll settle down into a smooth idle. I just wanted to make sure it's not a sign of a bigger problem.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
Potentially a dumb question, but a little kid asked me so: Have you named your bike? What name did you give it and why?

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
I was temped to call my Japanese bike a Japanese name but realized there is no non-weeb way to do so.

I do like the animal name idea, maybe after a racehorse.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
Anyone have a rec for an app for tracking fuel mileage? It's the one thing I'm not quantifying well at the moment.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
Does anyone have any experience flying with motorcycle gear, specifically a helmet? Any best practices?

Planning to visit some family and was considering renting a bike there.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
Ugh, I managed to chip the paint on my gas tank down to the metal. I think it's from the zipper on my jacket.

Is this something I can fix with a touch up pen from Color Rite? They have the top and base colors for my bike. Anything else I'd need to do?

And given the location, I was thinking I should cover it with a tank pad after I paint it. Is that worthwhile?

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
^^ I realized I have the same question too since my plastics came with some scratches that I've learned to ignore.

How different is the process for repairing painted metal compared to colored plastic?

I'm generally not too picky about cosmetics, but I do plan to sell this bike in the next couple months and want to get it looking better as cheaply as possible.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
Leave it there. Salt is a preservative and it will prevent your chain from spoiling.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
There was a moto repair youtuber who would have a chick in a bikini doing the work in all his videos. Can't vouch for the content because I thought the whole concept was pretty cringe ( and creepy). I recall he only had a couple thousand subscribers too.

Which is just to say it can get quite a bit worse than delboy.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

T Zero posted:

There was a moto repair youtuber who would have a chick in a bikini doing the work in all his videos. Can't vouch for the content because I thought the whole concept was pretty cringe ( and creepy). I recall he only had a couple thousand subscribers too.

Which is just to say it can get quite a bit worse than delboy.

Ah this was the guy and this is what I found when I was looking to replace a brake lever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTXZOEfCBGU

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

T Zero posted:

Ugh, I managed to chip the paint on my gas tank down to the metal. I think it's from the zipper on my jacket.

Is this something I can fix with a touch up pen from Color Rite? They have the top and base colors for my bike. Anything else I'd need to do?

And given the location, I was thinking I should cover it with a tank pad after I paint it. Is that worthwhile?

Update:

Took it to a paint/body shop. Dropped it off near the end of the day. Picked it up the next day during lunch. $40. Flawless work.

I can't see any signs of a repair. I had to look at the old photo just to remember where the chip was. I'm very impressed.

Geekboy posted:

His channel is just Yammie Noob in the Midwest.

Pennsylvania is not the Midwest :colbert:

My bigger problem with the Bike with Beards guy is that he's lately been leaning more into 2016-era edgy conservative meme-ology (anti- Hillary, anti-feminist stuff - it just seems so dated). I liked the behind the scenes stuff of running a dealership, like going to bike auctions, how he ended up with a stolen bike, and all the stuff you deal with trying to get a new odometer certified.

In my experience, Youtube has actually been pretty good about de-emphasizing boobie-bait. A lot of the cleavage-forward content-makers don't actually get that much traffic or subs. What annoys me is that it does seem to prioritize the shouty, jump-cut, overly dramatic style of gaming streamers. Donut Media to me is the most egregious on this front.

T Zero fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 21, 2022

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

knuthgrush posted:

Well they're delivering it on Tuesday and my skid lid + gloves show up on Wednesday so I'll report back. Probably gonna be a gateway drug to a motorcycle but we'll see...

Recommendations for protective jackets that don't look dumb as hell? Everything seems to be moto bro to the max. Do they make normal guy looking jackets that'll help avoid sanding off most of my skin?

You can try looking into armored hoodies and riding shirts. They look sensible from a distance, but if they have any meaningful armor, it'll be noticeable.

Generally the less it looks like a moto jacket, the more you'll pay for it: https://britishmotorcyclegear.com/product/belstaff-trialmaster-pro-tourist-trophy/

And: https://www.belstaff.com/us/men/motorcycle?page=4

I actually have this jacket, which looks pretty inconspicuous, but it's been discontinued: https://poshmark.com/listing/Mens-ZARA-X-Revit-Mobility-Moto-Jacket-M-6370f01537d0dfa507934999

T Zero fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 19, 2023

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
Has anyone gone to Champ School? I wanted to take their street course, but I've seen mixed reviews (that it was a glorified MSF class): https://ridelikeachampion.com/champ-street/

That wouldn't usually be enough to dissuade me, but the nearest course is 1. on a weekday 2. expensive and 3. a two-hour ride away. I'm trying to gauge the value of making a day of it.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

Toe Rag posted:

Yes. I did the two day champ school. It is indeed expensive. I made a couple posts about it
here
you can read if you’d like. I’m also happy to answer any questions you may have!! If you do the 2 day school I think it may be a good idea to get a day or two on track first just so you are comfortable in / have some exposure to that environment before dropping 2k.

Thanks for flagging this.

My main interest is in the street riding course though, which is one day and is conducted using street gear. I think the course would be worthwhile just to have some coaching and feedback (I think I've stagnated in terms of skill development). But taking a day off work, booking a motel, and riding 2-3 hours in each direction is making it a more costly proposition. I also don't like riding my current bike longer distances, so I'm thinking about getting a new bike first and then using the course to get familiar with it.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
I'm selling my bike on Craigslist and have never sold something this expensive before, nor have I ever sold a registered vehicle.

My main concern is how I can protect myself from getting scammed. Is cash basically the only way to go, or is doing something like Zelle safe? Should I get one of those anti-counterfeit markers to check bills?

Any other best practices to consider?

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
Is there a general rule for when to apply loctite to a bolt and when to apply anti-seize or grease?

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
Both, depending on the circumstance I suppose

I was adjusting the chain tension on my bike and was wondering whether I should be doing anything to the threads on the axle and the adjusters. I don't want them to rattle loose but I also don't want them galled, seized, or rusted in place.

Just wondering if there's a rule of thumb.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
Been having a strange problem:

I installed leads to my battery to power a pair of heated gloves. The bike (striple 675) starts fine, runs fine, gloves work fine. The gloves use 4 amps combined at peak power and the lead has a 5 amp fuse. No other accessories.

However, every so often something that sounds like an alarm goes off. It's not very loud and stops after a few seconds. It took me a minute to even realize the noise was coming from the bike and not a nearby car. The alarm noise only seems to kick in when I'm up to second gear but it stops before I can pull over and pull out my phone to record it. I can't consistently reproduce it. I can't find any guidance from the service manual. Any ideas? Do I need to reset the alarm somehow, or is there too much parasitic load on the electrical system that 's triggering this somehow?

There seems to be an empty slot for a relay for heated grips but the bike doesn't have those installed.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
It's definitely a tinny electronic alarm noise and not a vibration. It sounds like a muted car alarm (wee-ooo, wee-ooo).

As mentioned, it kicks in when I'm moving in second gear above roughly 10mph. I have a hard time reproducing it in a parking lot but it seems to kick in regularly in stop and go driving when I get moving. But again, it stops before I can pull over and record the sound.

I thought it was the immobilizer, but the bike isn't immobilized. It starts fine. Also the alarm light on the dash isn't on.

It's warmed up a bit so I'm going to try the bike later without the heated gloves and see if it has to do with the current draw, though according to this the bike should easily have enough excess power to run the gloves. I'll also set up my helmet cam.

Oh I guess one thing I should've mentioned is that the battery also has leads attached to the battery terminals for a charger/tender, which I've never used.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
Update -

quote:

I installed leads to my battery to power a pair of heated gloves. The bike (striple 675) starts fine, runs fine, gloves work fine. The gloves use 4 amps combined at peak power and the lead has a 5 amp fuse. No other accessories.

However, every so often something that sounds like an alarm goes off. It's not very loud and stops after a few seconds. It took me a minute to even realize the noise was coming from the bike and not a nearby car. The alarm noise only seems to kick in when I'm up to second gear but it stops before I can pull over and pull out my phone to record it. I can't consistently reproduce it. I can't find any guidance from the service manual.

Finally got some ridable weather, remembered to bring my gopro aaand... I couldn't reproduce the noise. After more than an hour of riding and running the gloves on different settings, everything seemed hunky dory. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
FB's lower barrier to entry can work in your favor as a buyer. When I bought on FB, I looked for listings that had been there a while, several weeks. I found one that didn't optimize its title and didn't rank high in searches. The owner had dropped the list price a few times, so I was able to buy my current bike quite a bit cheaper than it would be anywhere else. Keep an eye out for misspelled and mislabeled bikes. Sometimes it's an earnest seller who is not good with computer.

Selling is more annoying. You get a fair number of lowballers, but if you hold out you can find someone who can meet you somewhere reasonable. Write a good title, tag your big correctly, and take some decent photos and you'll outdo more than half the sellers there. On craigslist, I barely got any responses at all. Seems pretty dead there.