Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
My Thruxton intermittently stalls when I coast with the clutch lever in. I haven't been able to pin-point anything, but have noticed it occurs more often when I'm going downhill and when I've been laying on the throttle. I cannot consistently reproduce it, but the most common scenario is cresting the top of a suspension bridge near my home at 80+ mph, pulling in the clutch for the descent, and the needle on the tach dropping to zero at which point it's off.

Any ideas? I'm on a 2007 Triumph Thruxton, air-cooled parallel twin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Nerobro posted:

First, don't pull in the clutch. The thing is stalling because you're cooling the cylinders off enough that it will need the choke on. Keep the bike in gear, use engine braking to your advantage. If you keep the rpms up and the motor temp will stay up, and it won't stall when you get to the bottom of the hill.

Same goes for the KZ.

The problem is somewhat abated by richening up the pilot screws.

That explains the issue. For the record, my goal isn't usually to decelerate by coasting - when this occurs I'm normally going downhill and accelerating without using the throttle. Thanks for the explanation.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

New question, new stupid.

I ride an '07 Triumph Thruxton with an unmodified engine and exhaust system. My commute home is about thirty miles alternating between slow freeways, fast freeways, and a couple miles of surface streets. Lately I've noticed when I get home, the first five or six inches of the headers are literally glowing hot - a dull, dusky orange color. I haven't noticed this before, but given that I'm coming home in the dark more often now it's possible I just missed it. Is this something to be concerned about?

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Christoff posted:

How do I find a good motorcycle mechanic for my 93 zx-600? Anyone have any recommendations for the Southern California region? Finding a shop isn't a problem. I'm just looking for recommendations and reviews, etc. Is there an online database of, well, trusted mechanics? With customer input? I just bought this thing and just need someone to check it out and have routine maintenance done. Should I just go to the one of the local shops by me?

DIA Motorsports in Gardena is good - it's run by a guy named Miles who does excellent work. I'm not sure if your '93 ZX-600 is something he'd work on, but it wouldn't hurt to check 'em out. I don't have a number off hand, but they share shop space with British Customs who's easy enough to find.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

rope kid posted:

RE: Crash history. I've been riding for about three years now (e: about 30,000 miles mostly on a 2006 Triumph Bonneville with 4,000 on a Ducati Monster 750 and a handful on an old Honda 350 and a 70s BMW airhead) and have lowsided three times at sub-10 mph speeds, all on my Bonneville and all within a three day span. The first spill rattled me and the following two I think were because I was still letting the first one get to me.

Do you remember them? I went down for the first time earlier in the month - on my '07 Thruxton - and I don't remember anything. I was lane splitting on the 405 (legal in CA), then I was laying on my back looking at the sky. CHP tells me someone swerved at me, didn't make contact, and I went down. I expected to go down at some point, but not being able to remember anything - even where I was on the freeway - is gettin' to me.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Nerobro posted:

not being able to remember is a sign of a good hit on the head.

Judging from my helmet, that was definitely the case.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

How hard is it to get a small dent out of a tank? We're talking about something the size of a human thumb and not particularly deep. It's on the curve from the side to the top of the tank.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Same here. I won't discuss any major purchase until I have the money in my hand. This includes setting foot on a dealer's lot without financing already arranged and approved.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Christoff posted:

But what's the general concise? It would be quite a pain to swap them out for day/night riding. I'm new to this whole thing so open to all suggestions.

Tinted visors are a royal pain in the rear end. Even when swapping the visor is easy it's annoying to carry an extra. I typically ride over an extended period of time (e.g., commuting or afternoon canyon runs), but even if I know the entire trip will be sunny the constant tint is a distraction.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

`Nemesis posted:

I can't even hear my own horn while riding, like loving hell someone in a car will. Stock exhaust too. (full disclosure, I wear earplugs while riding. But even without them, the wind noise is way louder than the horn.)

The stock horn on my Triumph sounded like a child whispering "meep" in a distant room. That was without wind noise during basic surface street riding (~30mph). I upgraded to the loudest aftermarket horn I could find. Now it sounds like the child shouts "meep." Underwater. Still in a distant room. A room full of pillows. In a Dynamat warehouse.

My experience is that motorcycle horns aren't worth a drat under pretty much any circumstances I can think of.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Prince posted:

I notice that when yuou use the kill switch the engine stops a lot faster (ie 1-2 revs) than the ignition (5-6 revs). There must be some difference here?

I also read somewhere that using the kill switch can burn out the ignition. Not sure if thats true or not (I'd like to call BS but I'm not an electrical engineer)

When I took the MSF course I was told to always use the kill switch, with the logic that it's easier to replace a well used switch than a well used ignition.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Milton posted:

Anybody ride a Triumph Scrambler? I'm looking at them for their versatility and looks but their performance specs seem like wouldn't let the bike keep pace/pass easily on the highway (I would obviously need a windshield as well). If you ride one, how well does it do on highways?

Hey yo. I don't ride a Scrambler, but I do ride a Thruxton and have had a lot of experience with the Bonneville. The Thruxton is tuned a little more aggressively, but otherwise all three bikes use an almost identical drivetrain - the same 865cc parallel twin.

The Scrambler is most closely analogous to the Bonneville, and though it's not the fastest bike in the world it's more than capable of getting around the (typically) high speed freeways in Southern California. Don't expect to lift the front end up comin' off every stop light, but you'll have no problem getting past cagers. You can get it up to 80-90mph without breakin' a sweat, and it'll go into the hundreds but it won't like it much.

If performance is a big concern, there are a few easy and reasonably cheap ways to modify it and boost the horsepower. If you check out British Customs they have a few performance upgrade packages that will give it anywhere from an additional five (pipes) to twenty horsepower (pipes, plug wires, airbox elimination, etc). Brit Customs has a few show Thruxtons they've bumped from 69bhp to over 100bhp. Like any bike, it's all what in how much you want to spend.

The only caveat I'd throw out regarding the Scrambler is (from what I've read on ADV Rider) it looks a lot more versatile than it is. If you're looking for a street bike that will handle some gravel, potholes and damp, it's not a bad call. If you're looking to do serious off road riding you may be disappointed.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Milton posted:

Alright. That's actually about what I figured. I'm not looking to ride trails- just dirt roads/gravel and maybe a little light off-road.

I'll check out British Customs. I currently ride a Vulcan 750 so, from what you're saying, the stock performance should be about the same and I can make a couple steps up with these upgrades.

Good luck. I love the looks of the Scrambler and the parallel twin Triumphs in general. Before my Thruxton I rode a Honda VT1100. The Bonneville felt pretty comparable in terms of performance.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

PlasticSun posted:

I just tell social services that it builds character.

Is that a Dakar?

Those things require inclement weather and abuse as part of their regular scheduled maintenance.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

PlasticSun posted:

Yeah it's a Dakar, and I follow the maintenance schedule to the letter :)

There's one I see on the freeway 'round here every so often. It looks factory perfect without even a spec of dust on it. It just makes me sad.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

TheUltimateCool posted:

I just bought a 2001 SV650s, in blue, with 8,500 miles on it. I love it to death, but it's got one blemish; the PO put on some sort of fake carbon fiber tank pad on the front of the tank (in front of the gas cap). This has begun to peel off and underneath is...

...nasty. I'd call is adhesive residue, but this isn't your standard sticky grime. This is caked-on, multicolored, thick, hardened stuff. Does anybody have any tips on getting this crap off? I've tried WD-40 already, as was the suggestion of a few of my friends. The WD-40 was so ineffective that I swear I heard the goop laugh. Dab a rag in some paint thinner and scrub away, maybe?

I'll post pictures of it when it's light outside tomorrow.

Have you tried Goo Gone? I haven't found anything Goo Gone and muscle couldn't take off. On the plus side, your tank will smell like oranges.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

MrZig posted:

Accidently posted this in the bike gear thread for some reason. Durrr.

Where do I find headlight wraparounds/windshields like this? Are they made for specific bikes? I want to try and find one for my GS400 but I have no idea where to start looking.

Click here for the full 1024x682 image.

By the way that bike is 100% pure sex. God I want it.

Why, that happens to be my bike. Albeit with different paint and the flyscreen.

The flyscreen in the picture is a Triumph OEM part made specifically for the Thruxton/Bonneville/Scrambler. That said, they're fairly easy to come across in generic formats. Try Googling for "flyscreen" and "cafe."

OrangeFurious fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 4, 2009

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

MrZig posted:

You have this bike? I just found out about today and holy poo poo do I want one. How do you like it?

Yeah, I ride an '07 Thruxton. It's a great bike and I've been happy with it. The 865cc parallel twin might be disappointing to someone coming from sport-bike background, but stock it has enough power to keep things interesting. Just don't expect an OMG liter bike roflcopter. I've had mild performance upgrades on mine and it now has more power than I care to use. It's comfortable, reliable, handles well, and as you pointed out looks amazing. Most people who ask about it assume it's either vintage or completely custom.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

blugu64 posted:

That bike looks amazing, how comfortable would it be for touring? Keep in mind I'm coming from a Ninja 250.

The riding position on a Thruxton isn't quite as aggressive as a sport-bike, but there's definitely more forward lean than you'll see on a typical touring bike. There's also not a lot of room to mount storage on. The Thruxton is a minimalist bike in it's stock configuration. I average about a hundred miles per tank of gas, which may be another limiting factor.

Depending on what type of touring you want to do, those can all be limiting factors. I suspect a Thruxton would beat out the Ninja 250, but you're not going to confuse it with a VFR.

That said, the Thruxton and Bonneville are similar bikes and some people (e.g., Rope Kid) take Bonnevilles on long trips and do all sorts of crazy things to them. Chances are most of the Bonneville mods would translate to a Thruxton pretty easily. Given how similar the Bonneville and Thruxton are it might be easier to start with a Bonneville though.

Or you could go nuts and try a Scrambler:

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Wow, lots of positive response. I'd just assumed that bar-ends were a hipster/retro thing that was good-looking but impractical. I just figured you'd see them a lot more often if they actually worked well.

I'm looking into getting a Triumph Bonneville, and if bar-ends indeed work decently I'm tempted to pick up a set. No idea how to avoid getting a poo poo brand though; there are tons on eBay for $25-45, but I'm suspicious of buying a product with no brand name, and just described as "High quality". The brand-name mirrors Triumph sells are $83 on their site (apiece?), so I'd imagine that good ones can be had for under $100 a set if I can figure out what brands to avoid/seek.

Seeing how cheap used clubman bars are online I'm tempted to do some semi-cafe mods if I get the Bonneville, since apparently changing bars is really easy, and $20-50 isn't a huge risk to take. If I hate the bars and end-mirrors I can probably just sell them on eBay and move on.

Any specific recommendations on which bar-end mirrors are good, or are the generic ones honestly just as good as the name-brand?

(yeah, that one's a Thruxton, but still a swoopy pic)

That's basically what I've got. The stock mirror's on the Bonny and Thruxton are garbage. Absolute trash. I was never able to adjust them to look at anything but my own goddamned chest. Almost two years after replacing them, I'm still angry at Triumph that these fucktarded wastes of metal and glass were ever attached to such amazing motorcycles. It would be like a brand new Mercedes coming with a rubber fake-wood steering wheel cover. My heart rate's up just thinkin' about 'em.

I may go in my garage and just shatter the OEM mirrors for fun now.

Thanks.

I'd suggest picking up a set of Napoleons, like in the picture. They're not too expensive, easy to come by and install, and the change in visibility is shocking. Hands down the best upgrade I ever did for the bike. There are other bar-end mirror options for the Triumphs, but they tend to be more expensive and much smaller.

The only drawback of Napoleons is that every retro-douchebag has 'em. Get over it - they made the right decision.

OrangeFurious fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 12, 2009

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

AngryGuy posted:

Are those napoleons? They don't stick up in the same way and they are chrome rather than the painted black that you normally get with the Napoleons. I don't think those look as good as the napoleon bar ends that I've seen.

I'm fairly sure those are Napoleons.

I purchased mine from NewBonneville, and they had an option for chrome or black. I had to cut a metal flange off the bars to mount them, but it worked well and there's no vibration.

As far as the position of the mirrors, you've basically got three points to adjust. You can adjust the mirror itself (like everything else in the world), rotate the stock the mirror is on (your pic has 'em rotated out, you can also position the stock straight up so the glass is over the handles, or down so it's under the handles), and then you can adjust the lean of the mirror by where you choose to tighten it onto the bar.

The night infinite adjustability is one of the reasons they're so badass.

Not the best pick in the world, but here's mine with the black napoleons adjusted up:

OrangeFurious fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 12, 2009

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Come again? The mirrors they sell specifically for Bonnies require permanent mods to the stock bars to even fit? That seems like some hassle.

I ride a Thruxton, so I don't know about the handlebars on Bonnies - Rope Kid might be able to help out there. On the Thruxton the bars have a cap on the end, preventing anything but an 8mm screw from being inserted into the bar. The Napoleon mirrors I bought are designed with a rubber sleeve that is pushed into the handlebar, then expands when a screw is tightened. I had to cut that off to fit them to the Thruxton. If Bonnies have hollow bars, the Napoleons will work fine without modification.

Note - I had to modify the mirrors, not the bars.

As far as the DOT approved thing goes, I assume the majority of parts I buy will not be DOT approved - especially aftermarket stuff. I don't know if I've seen an aftermarket part that is DOT approved. The manufacturers have to pay for that testing and certification and I'd imagine very few people care.

It's kinda like buying a case for your iPod - that "Made for iPod" logo just means the manufacturer paid Apple for certification. It says little or nothing about the quality of the product.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

They look like a cross between CRGs and Napoleons.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

I'm reading a few comments on other boards from folks who feel bar-ends give a poor view behind, are a hassle to turn your head towards, etc. Then again I think a lot of them are riding sporters.

I don't move my head to check mine, or at least not to the extent I notice. I just flick my eyes. I don't have a ton of sport bike experience but I recall thinking the OEMs on a Triumph Daytona were inferior for visibility and ease of view to the Napoleons.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Have you tried Jameco? It might be a bitch to find without a part number, but they have tons of electrical components.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

On the topic of boots, does anyone know a good LA area shop to try on a few pairs? The places I've been to usually have one or two pairs of trillion dollar Sidi robo-legs, a single pair of Joe Rocket "motorcycle shoes" (aka ugly sneakers) and motocross gear. I have yet to see anything in between.

I've also yet to find a pair from new enough that fit, hence the need for someplace local.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Uthor posted:

Don't do this. Put the bike in whatever gear you want to be in and hold the throttle steady to maintain speed. I've never heard of anyone coasting at 65 mph. I'd imagine it'd be hell on your clutch.

Really? I mean, really?

I've always coasted with the clutch in when going downhill or if I want to lose speed without the need to brake. Obviously it's not for very long - they don't stay at 65mph in perpetuity - but I've never heard of coasting being harmful to the vehicle or encountered atypical clutch ware. There are a few areas around here where I can occasionally coast for miles without any loss of speed (e.g., escaping the valley and descending into West LA).

For the record, I do this with everything - motorcycles, cars, and cars with automatic transmissions (drop it into neutral to save gas).

OrangeFurious fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 17, 2009

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Uthor posted:

I gathered that he was doing this on flat roads, clutching in and out to maintain speed instead of staying in gear and maintaining throttle. It wasn't the coasting that I meant was doing the damage, but the constant clutch engagement.

And, so you know, I'm in IL. The longest hill I encounter is a 1/4 mile long down toward a river and I stay on the gas the whole way 'cause I like to go fast down the hill.

That would explain it. I typically stay on the gas unless I'm downhill.

As much as I like to accelerate downhill, both of the ones I go down regularly are popular with the highway patrol. :(

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

8ender posted:

Try a full face, its much more civilized. Plus you can talk/sing/curse inside it without looking like a crazy person.

Or a modular. The early modulars had a reputation for being the worst of both worlds - noisy, heavy and dull. Some of the newer ones are quite good though. I use a Caberg Trip and it's quiet, comfortable and looks good. Plus, I can ride around with my face hidden, then flip it up like a tool.

A few good modulars:
Roof Boxer: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/roof-helmet/roof-boxer/
Caberg Trip:http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/caberg-trip/
Nolan N100e: http://www.nolanhelmets.com/n100e.htm

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

n8r posted:

a bunch of stuff

I'll experiment with coasting vs. throttle. I can see the point for quick access to power.

As far as fuel economy goes, I haven't tracked it on the bike (carbs) enough to know if it helps, but there's a definite advantage on my Volvo (FI - about an extra 50 miles a tank) and a very minimal advantage on my BMW (FI).

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Plastic Bottle posted:

I've never motorcycled in my life, but want to try and have recently been given a '91 Kawasaki Vulcan 700cc cruiser. It has 16,000 miles on it and is in pretty good condition. My only question is, is this a decent bike to start on? While I would prefer something smaller, I can't exactly argue with the price, so will this bike make learning much harder?

I started on an 1100cc cruiser, and though I've been repeatedly told it was an awful bike to learn on, it worked out just fine. I'd say that almost any bike is okay to learn on if you're responsible and acknowledge it could destroy you. Cruisers tend to be significantly less powerful than sportbikes of comparable displacement, so 700cc on the Vulcan shouldn't be overwhelming.

It's a fairly heavy bike, so keep that in mind, and take the MSF.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I've lowered my want/expectations as far as bikes go. I am now looking used due to my boss wanting me to commute farther sooner than expected. I'm not quite ready to buy but in the next 45-60 days I will be.

Would this bike be a bad idea?
http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/1153257919.html

That's a lot of bike to learn on. I tend not to jump on the "OMG more than 25cc is suicide without 10 years experience" bandwagon, but that's a lot of bike. The benefit of starting with it is that you're unlikely to outgrow it in a few years. The drawback is sudden death do to dramatic, unexpected outpourings of power. If you decide to go with that be very cautious until you know what you're doing.

When you think you know what you're doing, you don't, so remain very careful.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I've got 14 yrs of bike experience dirtbike/streetbike. I just have never owned my own bike. I'm more looking for purchasing advice. not a lot of experience there.

That does change things. :colbert:

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I'm not sure why you think it wouldn't work. The tanks on more modern bikes are less round-breadboxy tanks, but a cafe bike is pretty much just a set of clubman bars, cutdown (usually single) seat, rearsets, and sometimes a little round fairing. The two bikes you mention would be perfectly fine for that, they just won't look "period" because they have more modern elements to their styling. If you've got it and you feel like making those changes, there's no real reason not to.

Let me direct you to:

http://www.cb750cafe.com/

Obviously not totally modern, but the same concept applies. There's a guy at a local bar in Long Beach (The V Room if anyone cares) that cafe'd an R6. It's a little modern for me, but hot nonetheless.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

Standing really does wonders. It can be a tricky thing to learn at highway speed.

What do you define as a stand - lifting rear end with knees bent, or a full fledged on-the-prow-of-the-titanic stand?

I've done both, but am never sure which is appropriate.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

A friend of mine lost the key for his '85 Honda GL500. I know crap-all about ignition systems. How hard is this going to be to resolve?

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

8ender posted:

Depends. I'm assuming you mean 1981-83 GL500 since they didn't make the 500 after 83. If the key and ignition is coded then you'll be able to get a replacement key by looking at the number on the ignition lock cylinder and then searching around eBay and such.

If it isn't coded then you can either get an entirely new ignition switch or call a locksmith. A new cylinder that might fit is available here for $30:

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/Honda-GL1000-GL1000-CBX-CX500-Ignition-Switch-Assembly?sc=12&category=52495

That's exactly what I needed. In retrospect, I think it's an 82. I'm quite fond of that bike.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Uncle Ivan posted:

Triumph
Street 3
Speed 3

I'm 6'3" with a 32 inseam and the Street 3 is quite comfortable for me. The Speed 3 is a little small, but still pretty good.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Jack the Smack posted:

What situation would this cause a newbie to mess up? When as a newbie have you gone full throttle for 10 seconds and the whole time going "Oh poo poo how do I slow down?!"

One of the more common newbie mistakes I see is rolling on the throttle while pulling the front brake lever. Seems relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Z3n posted:

But somehow, despite looking absolutely retarded in pictures, they look pretty decent in person.

Having seen Z3n's bike in the flesh, I can back this statement up. They look good in person - the fit looks OEM.

I don't comprehend the butt-dimples though.