Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Is Johnny Pag http://johnnypag.com/ just another Chinese bike, or are they actually decent?

If it's a piece of poo poo, at least it's a good looking piece of poo poo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What's the consensus on the Sachs/Tomberlin Madass? I gather they're made in China now, so I'm not sure whether it's worth bothering with. OTOH, drat.

There's one for sale locally and my interest is piqued.
http://mohave.craigslist.org/mcy/1075770644.html

Does that "never registered" part set off any alarm bells? It's got me a little skeptical, but there's relatively lax law enforcement around here, and plenty of places you could ride from without going on roads, so I dunno.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Bean_ posted:

About the registering thing: ask. They come in 50cc and 125cc. I don't about where this is coming from, but everywhere I've lived, 50cc doesn't require registration.

AZ requires you to have a motorcycle license for anything that isn't an actual moped, but a lot of people don't know this...and I don't think it is vigorously enforced. Not sure about registration, but in that case I wouldn't be surprised.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I couldn't get my Honda C70 past 40 mph, it's supposed to top out a bit faster. So I tightened the throttle cable, which was a little loose. I was able to get it up to 47 like that. But during the test ride, it started sputtering and losing power periodically, and stalling every time I came to a stop, particularly if I put it in neutral. It wouldn't immediately start again, but after a minute or two of trying, it would. When this started happening I started messing with the idle screw and the pilot screw (which could only go half a turn, since it has a limiter cap). Now I can't get the thing to idle at all, and it will only start with great difficulty at like 2/3 throttle.

I took the carb apart again, cleaned it more thoroughly, and put it back together to what I believe to be spec (I'm not entirely sure what "lightly seated" means in the manual re: the pilot screw), but nothing has changed.

I tried putting the throttle cable back to the loose only-goes-40mph state it was in before, too, and it didn't make a difference.

Any ideas as to what went wrong? I didn't change anything that wasn't changed back at some point with no improvement. Where else should I be looking but the carb?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I can only intermittently get my C70 to start now. I got it to start after I took the carb off and leaned the pilot screw one full turn (it normally can only be turned 1/2 turn without taking it off...I may shave that limiter cap down), and it idled until the fuel ran out because I stupidly left the petcock in the off position.

Since then, I've had it off a few times, tried a couple different pilot screw positions and messed with the idle screw, but I cannot get it to start. It comes closer to starting if I go on the throttle, but just sputters and stops, flooded, I think. Draining it changes nothing that kicking it once or twice doesn't change, though.

Is there ANYTHING that could be the problem other than the carburetor? It DOES have spark, and the air filter isn't terribly dirty. Should I bother taking this to a shop, or just buy a new (supposed to be bolt-on-and-go) carb, given that there don't appear to be any rebuild kits for this carb (Keihin PB...the idle jet is not replaceable, for one thing). I'm almost certain that if it isn't just worn out to the extent that it will absolutely not stay in tune, the problem is with the float valve (but the float is at the proper level, so...) or the pilot jet. I can't see any way to check the pilot jet for certain, though.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Is there anything that could cause my bike which has air and spark to not start that does lie within the carburetor?

I THINK I've narrowed it down to the float valve (which looks like it is PROBABLY okay, but the symptom...flooding when it does run, running too rich to start when it doesn't run...seems consistent with it) or the pilot jet. If it's the latter, I probably can't fix it.

Should I bother taking it to a mechanic (there is one literally 300 feet from here, I can push the thing there), or just go buy a new carb? Alternately, is there some magic trick to tuning a Keihin PB that I just don't know?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Z3n posted:

Have you already torn it down? Replacing the pilot jet is very easy if you've already gotten the carb torn down, just remove the old one with a screwdriver and install the new one.

Not on that carb. It's pressed-in.

I'm mainly wondering if I'm missing any possibilities.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
No....didn't think of that. I tried blowing through it, dripping alcohol down it, and blowing alcohol down it. Guess I've got to find a wire thin enough.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I just tried jamming a twist tie wire down it and it went down about 3mm then it was like hitting a wall. It's supposed to be a straight shot, right?

Edit: Pounding a sewing needle in with a hammer is going nowhere, too.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 30, 2010

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Hot Buttered posted:

Holy poo poo. Don't do that!

So it ISN'T a straight shot then?

I mean is the hole through the pilot jet supposed to be straight? There are no bends or curves? If that's the reason that the wire and the needle weren't going in any further, then maybe the pilot jet is fine. If it IS straight, then the jet is clogged and not getting unclogged.

I wouldn't worry too much...you cant pound very hard on a needle that thin. More "tapping."

edit: going in through the other end it stops at about the same distance.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 30, 2010

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Eh? This is the pilot jet. There is no needle for it, the pilot jet screw runs horizontally, and is not in a direct line between the two most obvious holes for the pilot jet. There is a hole in the carburetor body next to the hole for the main jet, and there is a hole in the pressed in brass jet itself. The wire and the sewing needle are both significantly smaller than the holes at either end of the jet.

There is another hole in the carburetor body that comes from a channel that appears to run to the pilot jet, I think that is where the pilot screw comes into play, so I don't think that is what is obstructing my wire.

If there's some curve in the middle, or it narrows in the middle, I could see them being too big. Otherwise, that isn't it.

edit: Would this be a tiny hole within a larger hole? If so, why would I not be able to get the wire farther in one end than the other?

Edit: I just tried inserting a hair, and it goes in just as far. Same with a paintbrush. The problem isn't that the channel is too small for the wire or the needle. I'm thinking this is blocked by something that ain't coming unblocked easily.

Edit3: No, nevermind, I can get a hair through there, and the channel DOES narrow. REALLY narrow.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Thanks to your chain tension discussion, I think I figured out why the crank bearings on my bicycle got destroyed.