Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
OK, Ive got the Yamaha ( 72 AT-1) in more bits that The Rev's Italian masterpiece...

How the hell do I remove the front axle? , Does it slide out with some Hammer love or is it retained by some wierd Yamaha majiks? Tried some mild impact love but i dont want to break something I dont fully understand. Pinch bolt is off.

Rest of the bike came apart easily ( For a Rusted POS)

EDIT: Anyone rebuilt a set of Yamaha front Shocks of 72 vintage?

Kaptainballistik fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 15, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Ok, My bike ( 71 AT-1) is now becoming all black. Gloss, Satin and Matt to be precise....

Which really only leaves the Fork tubes chrome. Any Ideas on what to put over them?

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Bingo. Thanks!

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Ok, Im up to rebuilding the Carby on the AT-1 Yamaha.

The issue is, Whats the best way to unscrew the top of the slide housing when the sod is jammed!

Soak in carby cleaner? Sheer brute force and a pipe wrench? Blub in the corner "Why me?"

Side comment, Is a 86 FZ750 Yamaha worth playing with ? Ive got one which had some timing chain stupidity and kissed the valves. Just needs valves fortunately.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Its ratty old 2 At-1 yamaha 2 stroke time!

The Fueltank has been sandblasted ( I didnt do it...) and is all nice and rust free inside. Hence its got sand in it!

Besides sticking it under the tap with the Petcock remoed and hoping nature takes its course, Is there any better way to remove the sand?

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

Wow, really? Blasting the inside of a tank is like the worst thing you can do.

I guess now that its done, just try to flush it out as best you can. You have an excellent case for running an inline filter now.

One fuel filter off Dad's RX7, Catching crud like a champion! ( Video tonite...) Bit of a pain riding a bike with Gel Cell on your lap. ( The wiring has been tried by every man and his dog...)

So whats the target idle speed for a 71 model Yamaha 125? ( Carby probably needs a better clean and a soak in carby cleaner overnight, But its Idling. Idling high, But Idling!)

EDIT: While im on batteries...Is a Gel cell better to get than a conventional Lead acid?

Kaptainballistik fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 23, 2009

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Ok, The 71 yamaha is nearly ready for rego.....
The last major issue is the blinkers, More to the point the lack of a flasher can! So Im thinking a car unit. Do they use a Positive or negative return ?

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Its a 12V bike but the flasher unit I foind on ebay was allegedly for a 6volt At-1.

So its all a bit wierd as AT-1's were 12v....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

OK, I have a Yamaha TT-R Enduro (95 model) and being a Road trail the brakes are Craptacular on the front.

It does no Dirt work...Im running Pirelli Scorpion dual sports Tyres.

Would it be worth sourcing a Supermoto style front brake? Would one actually exist that would fit??