Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

JaySB posted:

Would I be incredibly dumb to grab a Buell XB9R Firebolt as a first bike?

The SV650 is to fast. Just barely. Going with a faster bike isn't a better idea. Worse than that, the Buells are very very sharp bikes. They're easier to get in trouble with than just about every other bike on the market.

That said... I really liked my time on a Buell. :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

8ender posted:

What does everyone here do for storing a bike for the winter?

Is your yamaha premix or does it have oil injection? if it has premix, drain the tank. if it has oil injection, use sta-bil. Turn off the fuel, start the bike and run the carbs empty. Drain the remainder from the drain screws. Remove the battery, charge it once a month.

That's it. :-)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

I generally (even on my 2-strokes) put stabil in the tank, run it till the stabil is in the carbs, then put it up on stands. I leave the gas and stabil in the carbs.
I'd worry about the degradation of the gas over the winter. When you add oil to gas the octane rating starts plummeting imediately. Over the course of a few hours you go from 92 ocatne to the mid 80s. In months it gets down to the 70s.

Unless you drain the tank and use it in your lawnmower..

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Polynomial posted:

About engine breaking: does fuel injection lessen the force of engine breaking? Just curious.

no

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Armyman25 posted:

I posted a thread a couple of months ago about an old Bridgestone bike in my grandparent's barn. The bike is covered in surface rust from being in an uninsulated barn for 20 some years. What's the best way of combating this?

Also, how do I go about restoring the wire spoked wheels?

Well, it dpeneds on what is rusty. if the paint is bubbling and peeling, the best thing to do is to strip and refinish. If it's on chrome, some steel wool goes a long way.

As for your wheels, if they're really ratty, you may be SOL. If they're just pitted and nasty, you can go at them with steel wool and polishing compound. The spokes will be a royal pain, and the best method for dealing with that is spending the $50 and buying new spokes... And then the $50-60 and having a shop respoke the well for you.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Bob Sapp Please posted:

Riding with a passenger on that thing would be a deathwish.
On the highway, sure. KDC67 and I have done some real riding on real roads with all screaming 9hp of her LT2. And we don't hold up traffic on anything less than a 50mph road.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

shaitan posted:

Yeah, I took a 30 min ride when I got home from work today and I noticed after about 10 mins i could feel the wind and cold just eat through everything. I think tomorrow morning I'll try my windbreaker and just deal with the cold legs. This weekend I'll decide if it's worth it to buy some pants or just tough it out in small trips put it away for the winter sooner :\.

My trick was to buy $10 rain pants from wallmart. Mine are 3 years old now. I've used them a dozen times. No wear yet, and they're awesome for stopping 30 deg air.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

It's a '94.
And the motor didn't fundamentally change from 1977 through 2007.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

Does such an animal exist?

Yes, but they're usually integrated with voltmeters and thermometers.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

What bike was it again? you don't need to buy the "exact" tires for your ride.

BT45 and Sport Demons are available in those diameters, and close to the right widths.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

greg_graffin posted:

It's a 1978 Honda Hawk. Does it matter if I get a bias ply vs. a radial tire?

Some people say so. But both tires I recommended are bias ply. Ah, and now I see that you did list the BT45. :-) Don't mix tire brands. Feel free to go 10, or even 20mm wider on the front or rear to get a set that works.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

greg_graffin posted:

What would you recommend instead?

Perelli Sport Demons are the "other" tire. The BT45's have really good tread life. The sport Demons have good tread life, and are stickier.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

greg_graffin posted:

They are also tube tires. Will that be a problem if I move to a tubeless tire? Thanks for all the help guys. I'll have to read up some more before I can decide between the Speed Demons and the BT45s.
Sport, not speed. Tubeless tires are exactly the same as tubed tires, except they have an extra liner layer that's airtight. You can run tubless tires with tubes. I do that on the back end of both of my GS550s.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

AlaskaGrpwn posted:

Two questions.
Is it completely batshit crazy to do this?
Not batshit. But, a little. :-) if the streets STAY snowy, I'd say you're completely sane. Homogenous surfaces are easy to ride on. It's when things start going from slush, to tarmac, to ice, to snow, to slush that things get hairy.

quote:

Two:*stator replacement
$700 is WAY high. Then again, Im' one of those fools who will rewind their own stator.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

if they have your bike, they have you by the balls. You need to suck it up and pay. if you want the bike back that is.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

OrangeFurious posted:

Any ideas? I'm on a 2007 Triumph Thruxton, air-cooled parallel twin.
First, don't pull in the clutch. The thing is stalling because you're cooling the cylinders off enough that it will need the choke on. Keep the bike in gear, use engine braking to your advantage. If you keep the rpms up and the motor temp will stay up, and it won't stall when you get to the bottom of the hill.

Same goes for the KZ.

The problem is somewhat abated by richening up the pilot screws.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

NVaderJ posted:

I need at least one mirror on my '84 Honda Magna to be road legal. It seems that OE parts aren't available. Is there a trick to selecting an aftermarket mirror? I see the threaded holes on the handlebars where the mirrors used to be, but I don't know what mirrors I can choose from.

Excepting Yamaha, all mirrors use the same mount. 10mm metric thread. Just hop on ron ayers, bikebandit, or dennis kirk and buy a set you think is pretty.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

DOOKIE ROPES YO posted:

I'd flush the coolant system and put in new, 100% antifreeze (NOT 50/50!)

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD idea. use the proper mix. Using less water hurts both the cooling and antifreeze capability. Using LESS water and it will freeze sooner, and cool worse.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

Anyone know of any good howtos on rewinding stators? The one in my RV90 hardly makes any power anymore. I'm figuring its time for a rewind.

... The only decent ones out there are for the GS bikes. And those are for the 9-12 pole stators. Pull your stator, measure the size of the wire. count turns as you unwind it.

I'd put dollars to doughnuts that a electric motor rebuilding shop would redo your stator for less than the cost of materials to do it yourself.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I think we've been over this before. Realisticly, you shouldn't "need" to move the bike without using the throttle. At idle the bike is about to stall. There's no mechanism to bring the rpms up when they drop.

Basicly... that's the way it's supposed to be.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

greg_graffin posted:

That's what I meant. Why does it always have to rain when I really, really want to ride?

Why does that stop you from riding? hell forget the motorcycle aspect, I went for a 16 mile bicycle ride two nights ago. In the rain. It's.. just.. rain..

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Well, I feel that.
Commute is different from recreational riding. If it's raining, I won't ride the motorcycle to work. Getting to work warm and dry is good.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

Has anyone used Evapo Rust before? I'm using it to try to get the rust out of the Puch Maxi tank (frame, actually, same thing).

I'll leave it in there for a day or so, but I was wondering if anyone knew what to expect.
Something tells me going to electrolyic route might be best...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Kaptainballistik posted:

Which really only leaves the Fork tubes chrome. Any Ideas on what to put over them?

They're called fork gaiters. They're available in black.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Have you checked your battery? Possabily the terminals are lose. I've seen that happen.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Handiklap posted:

I've got an '08 rebel
You're not the first person to talk about this thump. It's likely a backfire. And it seems normal.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Krakkles posted:

It could, theoretically - not likely, though. Still, easy enough to test and fix it :)
No. Low oil will actually make the clutch not slip. The clutch is designed to be oil bathed.

Where does the clutch engage? All the way at the end of the travel? Or halfway out?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Oldsmobile posted:

So what's a 250cc bike like?
*snip*
Are they still kind of dangerous? A hand full? Or a good idea for someone who just wants to get around on the cheap?

You're focusing on displacement. Don't do that. A Suzuki GT250 will do 110mph. A RGV250 will do 130. And a Rebel 250 will barely crack 80. With 250cc, you can find bikes with anywhere from 10hp to 70hp.

All motorcycles are dangerous. Your average fatal motorcycle wreck happens under 40mph. Even a slightly modified moped will do that. Some 250's are a handful. Most aren't. Most are pretty lightweight. Not all are very useful.

What I'm trying to say is, your question is not a good one. :-) If I understand your question, you want a little commuter bike to run around town on. I need to know what sort of speeds you would be expected to go. I'm 100% comfortable driving around KDC67's Yamaha LT2 on almost any surface street. And it gets to 45-50mph pretty smartly. Riding a slow bike around town, is a lot of fun.... but you do need to plan your moves so you don't end up a greasy wet spot on the pavement.

When we recommend a first bike to someone, we point them at a bike with 30-70hp. That excludes bikes like the nighhawk 250, rebel, GZ250, TTR225, but includes the Ninja 250, older 2 stroke 250s, the DRZ400, most any 500cc cruiser, 650cc thumpers.... It's a wide variety of bikes. About the only thing they don't have in common is displacement.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Oldsmobile posted:

Well, it's not a good one, since I don't know a drat about bikes. But I suddenly found out how cheap 250cc bikes were and was instantly interested since I've been thinking about cheap two wheeled transportation that's not a scooter.

OTOH I might not want to kill myself.
It's obvious you're new, we're here for that. You're in the right spot. We'll help you. You can get some really cheap bikes in a variety of displacements. Is there a reason you're dead set against a scooter?

Well, I was hoping you'd tell me what i was looking for. Are you just looking for reliable city transport? Or are you looking for a real motorcycle? The answer to both is you first need to get yourself signed up for the MSF. For the city, you can look at some wildly tiny, quirky, and fun bikes. If you're looking to do some real travel, you're options change. The bikes get much larger. Whatcha looking for in a bike?

Krakkles posted:

So, theoretically, if one were riding a carburated 644cc single cylinder up a very steep hill, and managed to very slowly lay it on it's right side, would it be normal for gas to pour out?

In theory, we're talking about an '09 DR650. One with light scratches to the plastic over the tail pipe and no other observed damage. One that didn't fire up when first righted and cranked, but started up when it got a little throttle on the second try of cranking.

First off. It's not a sin to lay down a bike. It happens. I've done it, ravyns done it, squishy's done it, skreemer's done it, z3n's done it, everyone has. And if they haven't, the will. Yes, if you lay a carburated bike on it's side, it will leak fuel. When a bike is on it's side, the floats won't seal off the float valves, and fuel will pour through the carbs. Also, if the tank is full, fuel can come out the vent tubes.

The bike didn't start right away, because the carb was flooded. Opening the throttle moved more air, and therefore more fuel, eventually leading to the carb unflooding, and the bike starting.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Just sounds like the motor is cold. Perhaps your thermostat is stuck open?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

LOLLERZ posted:

How would I know if it's stuck open, and what can I do about it if it is? And why would that kill the bike?

It's hard to answer the first bit. Ideally you'd just pull it out and examine it. If it IS sticking, you replace it. Thermostats aren't all that expensive.

If the engine doesn't maintain temperature, it will need to be on choke. Just like the motor were cold. It's common with air cooled bikes for them to stall out when getting off the highway. Low throttle for slowing down at the end of the ramp, combined with high airspeeds chills the motor to the point that it will no longer idle.

That can happen with water cooled bikes that don't have thermostats.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

LOLLERZ posted:

My bike is water cooled.
If your thermostat is stuck, your bike will react faster to outside temprature changes than even a air cooled bike.

However, I think echomadman has the right slant. I've never had carb icing problems, but that sound highly likely in your case.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

philkop posted:

Any advice on kick starting old bikes in the cold? Iv tried the conventional,(ie choke, turning engine over slowly a few times ect.) but I think its time to move onto more drastic measures.
For very cold weather operation, it's often necessary to go with a richer pilot jet. Or even just backing out your mixture screw a little.

Though I think I've mentioned this before about your bike. It should start second kick. If it's not (and you said it took you tens of kicks to get it going again..) you need to clean your pilot circuit

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

There's really not a lot you can do. You're looking at the wattage limit of your stator.

Things get rather confusing, because you could potentially have a 200v output, but if you draw enough amperage on it, the voltage will drop right down to inexcusably low levels.

My first suggestion would be to buy a new battery, and keep it on a charger at night. That would likely keep the battery voltage high enough.

If your r/r is set low, that "could" be the issue. But given that your heat works above 2500rpm, I think your r/r is ok.

Honestly, I'd find a new grip heater controller. :-)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I warm my bikes up on the move. That's the best way of doing it anyway. :-) If it's stalling out, slip the clutch a little more. by your second or third stopsign the bike will be warmed up.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

philkop posted:

but I unscrewed everything, sprayed carb cleaner, and put it all back together. Am I missing somthing?

Lots. There are lots of how-to guides for cleaning carbs. You should have followed one of them. Most likely, you never actually cleaned the portion of the jets that needed cleaning, and in the act of screwing and unscrewing everything you have closed off your pilot screw.

You are now in moderately deep do-doo.

At this point, you'll need to look up a factory service manual, and check to see where your pilot screw should be set. And what notch your carb needle should be set to.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Ola posted:

Oh I forgot. I have a stupid question about valve adjustments. From what little I know, there are various ways valves go out of whack. On some engines the valves wear into the head and eventually go tight against whatever actuates it as it eventually sits higher. Does this eventually wear out the head? If so, is it usually engineered to have a replacement mileage higher than the expected life?

I said "on some" because I remember hearing just that somewhere, are there other wear modes and ways valves can go out of adjustment?
You have a GS. The wear lifetime of the head is on the order of two or three of your lifetimes. Don't worry about it. :-) That said, typically valves stop wearing after they've bedded in.

What does wear out, eventually, are valve guides. I could see a shot to hell valve guide lettinga valve rattle enough that it wears the head in some signifigant fashion.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

when you took it apart, and reassembled it. you likely removed the pilot screw. It may be called mixture screw. That needs to be set right, or the bike will not start.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

exactly how to set it, is important. You'll need to scrounge some honda sites to find the proper setting. 1.5 to 2.5 turns out is probally the right range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I had the same thing happen on my 1980 GS550. it vents through the gas cap, so I had to clean the insides of the gas cap