Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Lawn posted:

I'm looking at two different DRZ 400 SM's, both about the same price (4800 and 5000) but one with mods and one stock. I don't know anything about the mods, can anyone give some advice on this one?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/880999702.html

The other is $5000 for under 2000 miles and stock. Also, is that a pretty good price? Could I bargain it down much?

I know I'm jumping on this a bit late but..

The Airbox mod, exhaust and jet kit are the ones you would want to put on yourself to really awaken the engine. New brakes at 5k seems pretty unnecessary and he doesn't mention if they are stockers or an upgrade but either way one finger stoppies are possible.

Can't comment on the new bars, but the mods on that thing seem to have a rhyme and reason behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

For DRZ's maintenance wise I haven't heard chatter about any 'watch out for's when picking up a used one. They could be out there, and the place that would know is Thumpertalk's DRZ forum.

I'd take a good, obsessive look and feel over the spokes. In some cases after the first few thousand miles the spokes can loosen a bit and if not addressed can become damaged. You'll want the oil to have been changed with filter every few thousand miles obviously, and ask the owner if they've done the airbox mod (cutting a 3x3 hole in the airbox to improve airflow under the seat). You'll want it to have been done eventually, as its standard practice in getting the guts out of that engine.

Yosh full system is agreed as just about the best you can hope for, runner up is just about anything paired with the FMF power bomb header. If they've done a jet kit, DnynoJet is about the best you could hope for.

Uhm... I can't really think of anything else.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The limit to what you can carry is what you can safely carry. Does it affect your ability to drive the bike? If a cop sees it, is he going to poo poo a brick and pull you over? Can you emergency brake, dodge, accelerate, turn ect while you have something like that over your back?

If you can handle it, go for it. Everyone who rides for a while gets in a situation where they have to improvise. Use common sense and you'll be fine.

In India or Asia you might just be called a huge pussy for worrying about a guitar case, real men drive scooters with their whole families and a weeks worth of groceries on board.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

hooollllyyyy gently caress! That looks like a good time...

Hmm.. wonder what the trade in value of my DRZ is...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

pr0zac posted:

FCR39MX carb installed last night and took their new super powered DRZ out this morning to ride around and loops it

I'm considering doing this to my Derz. Sorry you looped yours but would you say you just plain hosed up and it was a stupid mistake or was the power gain so phenomenal that it took you by surprise and bit you in the rear end?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I heard the Zeta ones work swell, but whats the problem here, do you just have tiny hands? My derz is a little whore for letting people ride it and nobodys ever had issues with the levers (seat height for sure).

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Dubs posted:

When i grab the clutch and my fingers bend up, the yellow line is where my fingers grab the clutch. As you can see it is a little off on the first finger, but the second finger is really far.

The place I always go for DRZ stuff has these babies:

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop?action=category&cat_id=70

Looks like getting an adjustable set is going to set you back about $50. Warning: Going to that site can be extremely damaging to ones wallet.

How many DRZ riders do we have on CA? Just the 3 of us? Few more and we can justify our own thread. :hfive:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Isn't that like $30? Sucks it happened to your SV, glad it didn't do too much damage, but most stands are around $80 minimum, and look at the thing...

I'm surprised you didn't at least approach with caution.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ugh, I thought it was your first happy use of your shiny new stand. What a bummer.

Maybe your bikes just a fatty. Can't even use a stand, can you fatty.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Just chiming in to say I've run they Avon's and they kick rear end

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm gunna vote rad

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jack the Smack posted:

So driving school doesn't actually do anything but waste my time?

In the long run, yes.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Those gauges make the little kid in me that loved brightly colored toys very happy.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Riding a Ducati superbike on the street will kill you 100% of the time.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yank it off, scrub the crap out of it, flat black heat paint + heat wrap = badass

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

In my quest to find the answer to this question I've crashed my track bike 20 something times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v--naS5RqdU#t=02m15s

Demonstration of traction mastery

SUUUUUUPPPPPEEEEERRRRRRMOTO

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

There will be a supermoto addict support group soon. "I just... I just keep thinking about when I'll get that next fix... I want to back-it-in everywhere, and I can't come to a complete stop without wheeling when I take off again. Help me. Oh god help me."

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Yeah, honestly, I'm not exactly sure how you're supposed to break in a motorcycle when you can't ride the drat thing. I'd just make sure it's warmed up, and try to avoid sitting at the same RPM for extended periods of time. Just my 2c though.

I used to obsess about the break in of my bikes. When I bought the KTM I rode the poo poo out of it for the first 100 miles. Changed the oil. Continued to ride the poo poo out of it, changed the oil at 500. Again at 1000. I just never stopped riding it to death. Almost 7k miles later, it runs great, no issues, oil always looks good.

Just don't hang out at one RPM for long periods of time, or at least I tried to avoid doing so in the first few hundred miles.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm down a tooth in the front on the SF and it's perfect. As stated, I don't need to go 170 on a daily basis. I'll take the grunt down low. Even down a tooth it still lugs along at barely 3k RPM in 6th gear at 70. Regearing makes a ton of sense when you have way to much top speed to use in the first place.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Absolutely get a set of huge supermoto boots. They rock. You absolutely do feel invincible with them, like you could kick down a tree.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah, really sounds like you got burned by the 'Drain my loving battery please!' setting 1 notch after the steering lock.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

I have brake lights if I manually join the connectors with my right hand as I brake.

When the rear tire leaves the pavement: Z3n is braking.

Ask me how I know!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jack the Smack posted:

I love having a fuel level indicator that is accurate. Although it's backwards. What happens is when I get to 1 gallon left, it starts flashing "0.0 Gallons". THen when .9 gallons are left, it flashes "0.1 Gallons". When it's at .3 gallons left, it flashes "0.7 Gallons". Is this how the latest CBR 1000s are supposed to work or did someone wire the doodad to the hoodicky wrong?

So essentially it's counting up how much of your reserve you've used. Do you have a manual to verify this is what it's supposed to do?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

quote:

Freedom rebellion style & cubicles

Is it OK to laugh? I feel like laughing.

Christoff posted:

Is that normal? It worries me because there's no actual number just bars.

You are fine, if you get to the very last bar and the fan is spinning away and it's not getting better, give the bike a break or get moving but I've never had it overheat. I have had it boil over and out from the top which had come a bit loose over time. SO make sure your cap is tight.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 25, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm so loving pumped up right now

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jaros posted:

I looked at a craigslist listing recently and realized I was able to read about half of the description. I don't really need an indepth explanation of everything but what do these mods end up doing?

- Desnorkeled air filter
- 152.5 main jets
- 17.5 pilot jets
- 2-1/2 turns A/F screw
- 2 shims on the needle
- drilled slide hole
- Fox Twin clicker shock
- SVS clipons and top triple
- Racetech Emulators
- .85kg Sonic Springs
- powedercoating

The guy says that most of his modifications were done for the track so I'm assuming they aren't that great for someone who wants to stick to the street? Would these cause a higher need for maintenance, loss of MPG, etc?

Desnorkled air filter: This is a common SV mod, allows better airflow (more noise, more powah!)
the next 4 are carb jet settings that probably mean a lot to someone who knows about SV tuning. I doubt he'll come along though, he doesn't post here much...
Drilled slide hole, again SV tuning specific thinga-ma-jig.
Fox shock: aftermarket rear shock (good, stock blows)
SVS clipons and top triple: more aggressive SV-S style clipons, aka down and tucked rather than upright and wide. Less comfort, more sport.
Racetech emulators & springs: Means the forks have been modified to not completely suck rear end like they do stock, more aggressive, better all around.
Powerdercoating: Means the frame? Or some other misc parts have been torn out of the bike, cleaned, painted another coat using electricity and then put back on the bike. Hard to tell from the small pics, but maybe the frame will be prettier in person than it would otherwise be.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'll never run Pilot Power 2CT's on the track again after they started getting greasy and giving up on the power my last day at ORP on the Streetfighter. They are fine on the track up to a point, then the streetness of them comes out and they can't hang anymore.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Or on a literbike shift down to 2nd for 80 MPH, or 1st for 60...

You should click down to roughly the gear that matches your speed like Z3n says. It's not good to slam it into first going 50. At least, the transmission CLUNK never sounds like it much cares for that sort of thing so I try not to do it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Are your triple trees and forks screwed in nice and tight? That seems to be going around lately.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

MrZig posted:

You'd think companies would make a killing with a lightweight v-twin tough-as-nails bike. Unless they do exist and I'm a retard?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Those actually go for a song these days used. It's not a KLR you are right, and thats one of the best things you can say about it.

As for what your specifically hoping for? No, I can't think of anything that exists like that. Its a pretty big step up usually from single adventure bike to twin adventure bike. It does make sense when you say it aloud that there should be a market for it, but I guess not here in the states at least...

Though if you took something like a 690 Enduro out for a ride you might decide thats all the adventure bike you ever needed. One of those with a Dakar style fairing and a comfy seat is probably the most awesome bike you could ever leave the house behind on.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Strip off all the extra heavy poo poo, fab up a bash plate to protect the oil filter, and go ADVing with some 80/20 tires on it.

Edit: Found the one I actually wanted.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

ari.gato posted:

I'm an idiot. I lost the ONLY key to my 96 Yamaha XJ600 Seca II. Does anyone know if a locksmith can make a new key without taking the ignition out? I have the front end locked and apparently I would have to remove both fork tubes to get it out.

Yeah no problem. Expensive though.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

McLarenF1 posted:

I'd love to get a Ducati, but how complicated is a handle bar replacement? I don't have much experience with bike mechanics, but I have replaced brake pads, done oil changes and even replaced a started once on my cars.

If you can literally turn a wrench you can replace a set of bars.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Make sure it's been crashed and has some mud caked in the far reaches of the engine. Check for signs that it's been up to its seat in water.

If it doesn't have any of these things it hasn't been properly broken in and I'd be wary that the owner may have neglected it with calm, respectful riding.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You ran out of gas, switch to reserve.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

on my DRZ it was possible to get as low as 70 miles on a tank if you were hammering it.

100 is when I'd fill up. Reserve was usually around 120.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Porkchop Express posted:

I went out to start it with the pitcock in the on position and it wouldnt start, put it to reserve and it started up. Went to the gas station and filled it up, and it took 1.7616 gallons. Started it with the pitcock in the on position, and it started right up. How much of the tank is generally reserved for reserve capacity?

DRZ:

2.6 Gallon Tank
Fuel petcock in ON position: 2.0 Gallons
Reserve: .6 Gallons

So... how many miles did you get?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

One of the things they teach in the MSF is that the differences between a $100 helmet vs a $1000 full face helmet, isn't really protection. There are different standards certain helmets hold up to, which may add value, but ultimately a new full face helmet is a safe place to be if you go budget or break the bank. Don't concern yourself with spending $1,000,000 on a lid. I bought a $160 HJC for my first helmet, and have been rocking Scorpion EXO's ever since, all for $99 (on sale), and they have been amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

ReelBigLizard posted:

Anyone here got any experience replacing EFI with a carburetor? I'm getting hosed off with injection.

Why do this to the 690?

If its too brutal for you these days, grab a tuneboy and smooth it out. I know that the 990 adventure was a common case for switching to Carb over EFI, there may be some good info there, but I don't think I've ever seen it done on a 690.