Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Zuthulu
Jun 29, 2006
Zuthulu want more brownies - NOW!
Is it just me or are aftermarket pipes overpriced? When I get the bike I want in a year or two I'd like to get this nice set of Zards. The thing is they're $1200! For slip-ons! Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it just a tube, some holes drilled in it, wrapped with insulation and put in a can? I know they've got to make a profit but this seems like a big markup. Tell me there's more to it than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zuthulu
Jun 29, 2006
Even the dealer price at $600 seems ridiculous. I could make that poo poo for $50, if I knew anything about it :) Seriously though, even ricey car mufflers aren't that much. Are these each hand made and individually tuned? Also, do people ever make their own silencers from scratch, just for the hell of it, and have them not sound like poo poo or a cherry bomb?

Lord Zuthulu
Jun 29, 2006

FluffGrenade posted:

Does anyone know how to make cheap side-covers? I was thinking of using a thin plastic material or something; I pretty much only need them to cover the triangle of the frame containing the battery, and I'd paint them black if they're not molded.

I'd buy some off ebay, but apparently the going price is $50 per side for a '79 CB750k, and screw that.

Maybe I could buy a bunch of cheap pie-tins and use the thin aluminum...

Cut out some cardboard in the shape you want then cover it with some fiberglass cloth and slather on the resin. Never tried this, just talking out of my rear end, but fiberglass repair kits are cheap from hardware stores.

Does anyone know a good resource online for repairing and maintaining 2 stroke engines? How-tos for common problems, jetting issues, maintenance, tuning that sort of thing.

Lord Zuthulu
Jun 29, 2006
I had a 250 Ninja in the late 90s for about 3 years, riding almost daily as it was my only transportation. When people talk about putting weight on the outside/inside pegs or counter-steering, for example, it confuses me. I don't remember doing this at all. I "just rode". Maybe its my built-in self-doubt, but was I riding incorrectly or doing all this subconsciously? Don't you pretty much have to counter-steer to turn?
The only riding technique I remember doing consciously was looking where I wanted to go to avoid target fixation.
I'm going to be riding again soon (YSR, bitches! Ride AND die!) and have gone a couple times down the street at night. I'm a little rusty, but it's nice to be back.

Lord Zuthulu
Jun 29, 2006
Bravo. Thank god for sliding doors and above ground basements.