Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
From previous thread:

quote:

As for bikes, I have a strong preference for cruisers, and made the following list of candidates based mainly on them not being the crazy top of the line bikes with way more HP and weight than I think I can safely use. I'd appreciate any feedback on this list. I've looked at many of these bikes in person and I like them a lot, so unless the list is batshit insane I think it's likely I would buy something from it in the next few months.

Honda Shadow Aero
Honda Shadow Spirit 750
Suzuki Boulevard M50
Suzuki Boulevard C50
Suzuki Boulevard C50T
Yamaha V-Star 950 Tourer
Yamaha V-Star 950
Yamaha V-Star Silverado
Yamaha V-Star Classic

One final stupid question -- if you get a cruiser bike (not the touring kind), is it possible to carry *anything* that won't fit in a pocket, or do you basically have to have a car if you ever want to go get a few groceries or pick up some office supplies or take your laptop somewhere? How safe is it to ride wearing a backpack or a shoulder laptop bag (diagonally across the back)?

Also look at the Vulcan 500, an older 800 (is there a 750?), or, possibly, a Vulcan 900.

I carry stuff in my backpack sometimes (but I don't like having hard things in there), a tail bag, and/or a duffel bag tied to my luggage rack. You can also get saddle bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm not sure I'd try riding with a messenger-type bag though, it might shift around, which could potentially distract you.
I've tried riding with me messenger bag a couple of times to work. It's not heavily loaded, but I get a pain in my shoulder and neck in literally a mile. It doesn't move around on me at all, however. I just pull it tight and rotate to the back.

My backpack is so much nicer to wear. A sternum strap is an amazing thing to have.

shaitan posted:

With the cold weather hitting us, how do you guys handle cold weather riding, more specifiically your legs? I don't have any riding pants so I'm stuck riding with normal jeans right now, would some thermals work well? Along with my jacket, a sweatshirt and some underarmour ski mask I have my upper body all set.

Thermals won't help. They won't stop the wind from cutting through. If you can't afford textile pants, maybe try finding some windproof pants (running pants or something?) and layering them over jeans and thermals.

8ender posted:

What does everyone here do for storing a bike for the winter? Its starting to get too cold to ride here without assuming the "lay across the bike and hug the engine for warmth" position so I think its time to put it away until spring. I have a nice converted chicken coop to store it in.

I fill up my tank, pour in some Sta-Bil, yank the battery, drop the tire pressure a few PSI, put some bags over my tail pipes, and put my cover on. Haven't had a problem yet.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

shaitan posted:

Running pants, duh! I think this may be the route I'll go.

Before I got my textiles, the only thing that would help riding in the cold was a windbreaker over my drafty leather. Layers underneath did nothing at speed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Vidaeus posted:

I have a 2006 Honda VTR250 and want to be able to jack the bike up so chain maintenance etc is easier. I bought a rear wheel paddock stand similar to this and the matching knob thingies that you screw into your swingarm. However, when I got home, I realised that there is no place for me to screw the little knob things in. I have since returned the rear wheel jack and the knobs.

I'd really like for some way to jack the bike up, whether its the whole bike or just the rear wheel but I'm not sure what my options are. I am new to bikes so I don't have much of an idea what I can do. Any thoughts?

It's not the most useful thing in the world as it doesn't lift the wheel off the ground, but I use a Rollastand to help me with cleaning my chain. It works wonders for me because I live in an apartment and carrying a jack or a stand up and down stairs is not much of an option.

You can get a motorcycle jack at any autoparts store for $80-$90.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I was reading the adventure bike round up in Cycle World and noticed all the bikes came with spoked wheels. What's the advantage of this? I know having spokes means you need to run a tube, which makes patching a hole difficult/impossible. I would think bikes designed to be ridden off-road would want to avoid spokes for that reason alone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

GoldenDelicious posted:

My main questions are more towards what exactly I should look for in a Cruiser when I start scouring craigslist and used bikes so I don't end up with a bike that dies in six months or that I will pay thousands of dollars for and end up hating. Unfortunately none of my friends ride motorcycles so this seems like my best place to ask. I apologize if any of these questions are stupid, I'd just like to make as informed a decision as I can so once I do get a motorcycle I can come back with good stories and whatnot.

So, does anyone mind helping a total newbie out with this issue? :shobon:

I guess what you're asking for is which cruisers you should be looking for. Other than the different makes, you are just stuck with the normal bike concerns (does it run, how are the tires, etc). There should be a newbie FAQ somewhere...

Cruisers make less power than their sport bike counterparts with the same displacement, so you can go a bit bigger. With cruisers, weight becomes an issue long before power does, I think. Most people here say 650 is borderline for a new rider, but any 650 cc cruiser will be fine for a new rider (almost all of the Japanese makers have a 650 cc cruiser). I would say the Vulcan 900 is the limit of what you'd want to ride. Harley's 883 Sportster should also be fine (I haven't ridden one, but it's physically much smaller than my Vulcan 500).

Beyond that it's standard cruiser stuff. Does it have pegs or floorboards? Highway pegs? Do you want a windshield? Are you willing to pay for chrome? It's generally easy to find saddlebags, windshields, sissy bars, engine guards, etc for cruisers, though if you want to customize, check availability before you buy (eg, there is almost nothing out there for the Vulcan 500).

I would search craigslist for anything Japanese under 900 cc that is running (Harley's don't depreciate as much, so they'd be a bigger investment). You should be able to turn around and sell it easily if you don't like it. Before you do that, sit on a couple at a dealer so you tell how cruisers feel and if it's right for you. Personally, I would recommend getting something a little more neutral than a bike with ape hangers and forward controls until you are sure that's what you'd be comfortable riding.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

QnoisX posted:

I have a few questions that I don't recall reading. On cold days is it okay to choke your bike to start and leave it choked till you are moving? I just got a 08 Ninja 250r and tried letting it warm up with the choke, dechoking, then starting, but it always dies when I let out the clutch. If I leave the choke in till I'm moving then it does fine.

Where do you guys normally park when in town? I rode to Walmart yesterday (first long ride) and parked on the big empty sidewalk next to the door where I've seen other guys park in the past. Will that cause problems? I don't really want to get a ticket, but taking up a whole parking spot seems kind of silly. Plus I figure people are less likely to mess with it up there.

Oh and on that note, do you normally leave your helmet with your bike or carry it with you? My bike has no where to store it (haha storage), but I could leave it hanging from the handlebars I guess.

Is there any way to install a gear indicator? The only problems I had on my ride to town was when pulling up to a stop sign and not picking my foot up enough between downshifts. So it ended up in 2nd or 3rd instead of first. Of course when I tried to start off it died. I toed to the side and let the cars behind me go ahead so I could figure out my mistake. A little led display with a 1-6 would be handy. No idea why they didn't do that instead of a simple neutral light.

Last one, is it just me or do the mirrors seem pretty awful? You either see off to the sides of the road or you see your arms. If I want to see anything behind me I have to pull my arms in and lean my head a bit. Is this normal? I guess they're just not far enough out.

I just take up a full spot when parking, but leaving a bike on the sidewalk isn't the norm around here. I've never seen anyone do that and I would assume I'd get a ticket if I tried.

I usually take my helmet with me because I'm paranoid and my helmet lock puts it right on the exhaust. I leave it with the bike (on the rear turn signal or on the ground) at certain locations where I feel comfortable that no one will gently caress with it.

Just practice pushing through all the gears as you're stopping. It'll become second nature.

I don't know about Ninja, but on my bike, I have a very small limit in which I can adjust the mirror. If I try to go too far out, the mirror will tilt down and show me nothing but road. I had to trial-and-error with rotating the mirror stalk to a position that would allow me the correct adjust range. Try messing with the stalks and see if you can get better range.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

You should definitely be in a lower gear at 30 mph. I go up a gear about every 10 mph or so, so I'd be in 3rd or 4th on my bike. It keeps you in the power band, which is good for quicker maneuvers and more engine braking, should you need it. It's not like your 250 is burning so much fuel that you need to worry about a slight decrease in fuel economy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My Kawasaki 500 cc engine has more torque than yours and I have no power at that low of an RPM. Hell, my car has gobs of torque and would be on the verge of stalling if I tried to accelerate like that. The manual state the minimums; you can safely take it much higher. In fact, you should for your own safety so you can move quickly if you need to.

Like I said, at easy cruising, I take my speed, divide by ten, and that's the gear I should be in at a minimum (3rd gear at 30 mph, etc). When accelerating, I go much, much higher (75 mph in 3rd)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

QnoisX posted:

You can slow down pretty well just doing that, at what point do you start braking? Before I was just holding the clutch in and using brakes to stop while downshifting, so this is a new method of slowing down.

I don't have a tach, so I have to go by feel, but I shift down at about the point the engine isn't doing too much work braking anymore. Honestly, I don't pay too much attention to my speed, but down every 10 mph sounds about right (slow down to about 45-50 mph in 6th, first).

I generally downshift to about 3rd (sometimes 2nd) before pulling the clutch in all the way, braking, and shifting into first before I stop. However, I still use my brakes if there are cars on the road. Using engine braking does not turn on your brake lights, which does not alert the other drives of you slowing. I don't fully brake; just enough to get the light to turn on.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Spartak posted:

How do people handle switching to reserve while in motion?

I ask because today I hit reserve while on the motorway, as usual I didn't click on to the intermittent loss of power in time and my poor baby was going BRHMMMMM POOOOOOOOF BRUMMMMMFFFFFF while angry motorists were wooshing past me in the other lane.

Should I flick it on to reserve if I estimate that I'll be running low ahead of time? (ie BEFORE I get on the bloody motorway?) Or should I go for the gusto and reach for it? Is this something I should practice once in a while to get the hang of it?

Kind of a stupid question, but I was making GBS threads bricks when it happened.

I switch it in motion if the need arises. Usually I can tell from the mileage if I'm getting low and fill up, but I get surprised sometimes (after a series of cold days where I let the bike warm up longer and my range drop, after high speed riding where my fuel economy plunges, etc).

If I'm getting low and getting into a place I don't want the bike to die (getting on the interstate, riding up a hill, hitting some twisties, etc), I'll switch before running out. However, I still do this while moving.

You should practice just sitting on the bike and reaching for the petcock. Get a feel for where it is without having to look. Once you know how to find it by touch, practice finding it while moving so you can do it when you really need to.

Just remember to take it off reserve once you fill up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

QnoisX posted:

Hmm...I dunno if it's possible, but please get someone to record your attempt. One way or another it sounds like it'd make an awesome video. I've seen plenty of folks on tv going down stairs on bikes, but never up them. It might be safer to get some of those thick floor panels and make a ramp. Cut them to the width of the stairs and staple 1 by 4 strips along it horizontally for grip.

Of course if the stairs fall in...you're screwed, but that's what the video is for.

I would make a ramp going down the stairs just to distribute the load. Instead of putting the entire weight of the bike on two individual steps, you spread it out over all the steps more-or-less evenly. Of course, if the entire staircase falls down, it doesn't matter if the individual steps don't break, but it's once less thing to worry about.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

bung posted:

Go to an auto parts store or WalMart and get a pack of valve cores and the tool for installing them. It shouldn't cost more than $10.

My car did that the first time I went to put air in. The core was just loose and I didn't even need a new one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Nerobro posted:

is your sidestand down? IIRC kawasaki's have neutral cutout switches. As long as the sidestand is down (or the bike think's it is down) the bike will not run in gear.

Pick the sidestand up, and try it again.

I killed a battery twice in a row this spring because of that. :smith:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My Vulcan 500's manual says every 6,000 miles.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Here's what HIDs in an improper housing look like:

(I stole this from Dr. Hoga in an old thread.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

QnoisX posted:

I swear I thought I read that it took 87 somewhere, but under my passenger seat it says to use 91.

There are two different ways of measuring octane rating. In the rest of the world, the octane rating reads about 4-5 points higher than the same fuel in the US. I know my Vulcan lists both of the ratings in different places on the bike and in the book. You should reread the manual to make sure you really need 91 octane or if 87 is good enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

rxcowboy posted:

1: I'm going to take the basic ride safety course. On the MVA's homepage, it says you should be able to ride a bicycle before starting the class. I last rode a bicycle when I was 8, and only rode that fucker for a few months. Am I retarded for even thinking of trying to learn here? If it's a matter of balance I've got a good sense/feel, but if bicycle mastery is a key part of the process, am I hosed?

2: None of my friends are motorcycle riders, so I've got no one to go to for advice. I know a little about what makes a good car/bad car to buy, what are the basics I should look for in a bike? Is there a good used 'beginner' bike that I should look for?

3: Any other thoughts or advice for a newbie?

I would definitely get a bicycle and ride it around. Balancing on two wheels is different than balancing on one foot. You don't do it much once you're moving, but going slow takes some balance and the MSF course is a lot of slow riding.

Once you take the MSF course, you'll have a better feel for what makes a good bike. There are plenty of good suggestions out there, from the Ninja 250, to the Ninja 500 or GS500, to the SV650 or Ninja650, to the smaller cruisers, to old 70's and 80's Japanese bikes. This board is a good place to ask specifics or to throw up ads and ask for opinions. Basically, you'll want to get something that is relatively reliable, that runs when you buy it, and isn't too powerful. You get those things and the only thing you would be worried about is old tires and an oil change (at least at first).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My anti-theft is turning off the ignition and having insurance. I don't even use the steering lock because it's not integrated into the ignition like on a sportbike. If the bike gets stolen, it's just an excuse to buy a Versys!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I use one of these:
http://www.newenoughhp.com/track_garage/tools__hardware/motion_pro/cable_luber.html

You take off one end, clamp this tool on, and spray until it drips out the other end.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

shaitan posted:

Are there any recommended Battery Tenders? Or are they all pretty much the same?

I use this guy with no complaints.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Prince posted:

I have been told that White helmets are far more visible

They're not. Sure, in certain situations they would be, but generally the urban environment is a light gray color and white doesn't really stick out that much. Not to mention doing nothing in low light situations.

If you want a safe color, look for a bright yellow or orange. Otherwise, I'd just get the black one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

I would carefully jack the bike up off of the bottom of the engine block or frame to adjust the chain slack and lube the chain.

I'm supposed to adjust the chain on my bike with the rear wheel on the ground. You just loosen the axle nut, turn the two adjustment nuts in the back of the swingarm to move the wheel, and tighten everything back up. The hardest part is taking off the exhaust that is directly in front of the axle nut.

fronkpies, you're missing the lubing of cables. I have one of these and it's a snap (if a bit messy).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

What bike recommends that? I've never heard of something like that, as you're going to have a hell of a time working against all of that resistance. Are you sure it doesn't say to measure the slack while it's on the ground and adjust it with it off the ground? That is common.

It's a Vulcan 500. Maybe it is recommended to measure while on the ground, but I found almost to resistance to moving the axle with the wheel on the ground. It was really, really easy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I should have probably asked this months ago.

On the last two days of the season last year, I briefly lost traction in the back end while going in a straight line (once on gravel, once on wet pavement, both due to enthusiastic application of throttle). Both times the back end kicked out a tiny bit and I just kept the throttle steady, letting the bike ride it out.

I've been wondering if that was the best course of action or if I should have done something different. I know if you lock up your rear brakes, you're supposed to keep them locked, but I don't think slamming on my brakes would have helped my situation any.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Christoff posted:

What's the best chain lube and where to get? How often should I lube it up? Just when it visibly might need some?

How often are you supposed to change the chain and I guess sprocket, anyways?

My bike is an 01 with 7,500 miles. Should I change the air filter?

I lube my chain every 300 miles (every weekend or two) and clean it every other time (mostly out of lazyness).

Change the chain and sprockets when they are worn out.

On my bike, I just have to clean the air filter. I did that at 8,000 miles and it was filthy, so I'm going to do it every 3000-5000 miles or whenever I get around to giving it an oil change.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

and you can't park mopeds bicycle-style in DC and thus have to pay for street parking anyway. Confirm/deny?

Aren't those things as big as a BMX bike and weigh about 5 pounds? Why in the world would you want to leave on on the street?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Because you can't take it into a pub?

(plus closer to 100lbs. Motorised bicycles are around 60, but mopeds weigh a good Natalie Portman or more)

No, I meant why would the government even think street parking a moped would a good idea versus letting you park on a sidewalk and chaining it up. I didn't mean why you would want to leave it outside.

I hate parking my motorcycle in some places because I know the day will come when someone will knock it over. With a moped, it'd be knocked and driven over before Soccer Mom even notices a thing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

cmorrow001 posted:

BRAKE LIGHT ISSUE

Bike is a 2007 Triumph Speed Triple (with stock LED tails)

So I went for my first ride today and while inspecting the bike at a light, I noticed that I don't have any brake lights (I know I should have checked before I left). The tails work fine but don't light up more when I brake.

Over the winter I relocated the turn signals and plate light but never touched the brake light. After loving with it more, it actually appears that the brake lights are ON all the time (but I can't verify that). I've checked the connections and they seem to be okay.

Any ideas? Could a LED bad cause the brake light to stay on all the time?

Stab in the dark, but on my bike, I have a little adjuster on the lever for the rear brake. I can turn it in or out so the light comes on with more or less travel of the rear brake lever. I can conceivably turn it so far that the brake light is always on.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

If you're after cruisers, you may want to consider a Honda Shadow as well. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about a Vulcan, but I've never heard anyone rave about them either.

The Vulcan 900 owners rave about the Vulcan 900. More than owners of other Vulcans. If I were looking to get another cruiser, it'd be on my list, mostly because the engine isn't so big compared to other "big" cruisers.

Also, I'll rave about my Vulcan 500 all day, but it's a parallel twin, so it's not a "proper" cruiser.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

MrKatharsis posted:

A cruiser style seat puts the pressure right on your buttcheeks. It also immobilizes the rider to some degree. Standing up on forward controls is not always possible for the big fatasses who ride Harleys a lot of cruiser riders.

Yeah, I can't move around on my seat. It's big and soft. I don't get pain, but I do get numb.

Wearing proper riding pants helps a lot. My cold weather overpants have pads on the butt cheeks and go over jeans, so I'm well padded there. My summer leathers have a tiny pad right in the middle and they let me slide around a little bit; I can ride for hours in those. It's my legs that start to hurt first with the forward controls position.

Personally, I'd get a decent pair of pants before throwing money at the seat.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

dietcokefiend posted:

As I was putting my new choke cable on today which ended up being a horrible idea that failed, I noticed a wire harness that connected to the clutch handle pivot point. What on the bike would care that the clutch is being used and need a signal during that time?

The safety switch that won't let you start your bike in gear without the clutch being held.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yup, same with my Kawasaki EN500. My buddies 70-something (78?) Honda Hawk works that way, too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

:siren: Photoshop ahead :siren:

I putted around some Kawasaki forums and it seems to be in the $1500 range.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Christoff posted:

I'm guess I'll need a torque wrench and spark plug gapper. Anything else?

You'll probably also need feeler gauges if you adjust your valve clearance. That's all I've ever needed to work on my bike, though I haven't tackled replacing my chain, yet.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Malpenix Blonia posted:

Does anyone know of a good place to get tiny metric o-rings? I killed one of the ones that interfaces with the pilot screws with carb cleaner and the bike doesn't seem to like going without them.

The bike is a 1978 CB400T, the carbs are Keihin, and the o-ring is about 5mm OD and 3mm ID.

This place is the only source I can find for them, and I'm not exactly ready to trust them with my credit card number, for reasons that are apparent.

I don't know what material you need, but McMaster has packs of o-rings for sale in those dimensions. Not sure if you really want to spend $6+ on 25-100 o-rings when you only need one, though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Spartak posted:

In all black I think the gladius looks kinda decent

however here in NZ it costs about $400 more than the SV650s :psyduck:

How are bikes like this or the naked SV650 on the interstate? I love the looks of standards without all the plastics, but I keep looking at the Versys for interstate riding. I mean, they have to be better than my small cruiser with absolutely no wind protection, but I'm completely sick of getting really tired after a couple hours at 70 mph.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

I find naked bikes way more comfortable than cruisers in terms of windblast for extended riding. YMMV.

Oh, I definitely see that. I get a little tired from the wind hitting my chest, but my legs sticking out in the wind are the first things to give me pain.

What I really need to do is figure out how to trade a four year old Vulcan 500 for a newish Versys without losing money as I don't have a job right now. :smith:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

Step 1: Sell Vulcan
Step 2: Buy old SV650
Step 3: Fiberglass
Step 4: ?????
Step 5: Versys!

Shouldn't I use a Ninja 650 instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bean_ posted:

Right, I understand the clutch and so for and so on, as I drive a manual car.

I guess I'm more of asking if you have access to all gears at any time, or if you're in 4th you can only go to 3rd or 5th? Get what I'm saying?

When you're moving, you can clutch in and shift up or down through all the gears. That's what they teach you at the MSF course when emergency stopping so you are in first gear when you stop (clutch all the way in, threshold braking, and shifting down with your foot). If you, say, stop in third gear, it's a bit difficult to get back down to first. If I gently caress up and stop in a high gear, I need to go down a gear and feather the clutch a bit before the transmission will allow me to go down another.