Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
Based on the media images, looks like the new triumphs all get a new UI for their displays. Really hope they upgrade the older models like the tiger who have that awful 'we don't ride bikes and designed a UI' display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

opengl posted:

Thats the same one the Street Triple has/had right? With the wavy double tach nonsense? Absolutely horrible.

Yeah the one where the tac takes up the whole background but is made so it's a bar that grows towards you. Really bad to see what is going on. It's filling space that could so easily have other crap on it, even with the other settings, it's just yeah bad. Some settings on one display option, others on others, just a mess, I think the rocket was the only one with the digital dial option, or analogue on the Bonnie's and speed/street.

Kawi has a great one on the n1k. Tac left to right rest is other poo poo you need at a glance. Job done. Even yamaha tracer with the goggle screen thing has them split and configurable. Triumph it's all buried in menus or in a narrow section of the screen.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
Would have hoped for more torque with the electric motor kicking in some power. That's one of the best draws of electric bikes and that seems okish?

Though until they sort out battery weight and duration on bikes, hybrid might be a step in the right direction at least.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

It's Kawi, they have a metric or something for cramming the twin into every model everywhere.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Deeters posted:

I didn't know they were still doing those at all. It's a shame because walking around gawking at bikes and trying on some random gear was always fun.

I was looking for demo rides at various dealers today and couldn't find any of those either. Not sure if it's just too early in the year to have a schedule though.

A lot of dealers are getting real stingy with the test rides or have no demo stock. Triumph was one of the few that just chucked keys and said 'tell me what you think''.

Even got handed the keys of a salesman's personal ride as they had none of the T120 in so he just said to take his for a spin.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Furious George posted:

I had some kid try to take my MT09 off the driveway once, they did not respectfully set down the sidestand, probably because I was only about 15' away at the time, and closing in on them fast. They ran off down the street and jumped on the back of a moped with 2 people already on it :argh:

You will never not use at least a disc lock at all times you're not literally sitting on the bike after something like that happens to you.

Guessing you are UK? That theives on mopeds seems to be rife over there and just blows my mind at how bad it is. On your driveway no less.

Over here, throwing the bike in the tray of Ute or back of a van happens more. They just pull up, grab it and drive off. With immobilisers in everything now they must just strip it for parts.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
Cops here had FJR's before they switched to BMW's. They would be worth a fair bit

Meanwhile all I want is the cop vest/helmet Axon cam with the crazy long battery life and storage that we can't get peasant side.

Take that over the poo poo battery on a gopro

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I4 literbikes are dead, sorry guys

Maybe bmw and Honda will persist until the WSBK rules change

Good thing Australia is the dumping ground for everything that doesn't pass (like all the older f150's and other American monster trucks etc) because we have no emission standards. Might get an influx of i4 existing stock of bikes.

Kawi won't be happy, the i4 is a sweet engine in the versys and ninja.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

prukinski posted:

Australia is also one of the worst places in the world to own an i4 literbike given that we have maybe five good roads and they're all ruthlessly speed enforced.

I've done a couple of long rides around America and gotten BIG SADS each time I've come home to using a third of the potential of whatever bike I'm riding here at the time.

Yep, pretty much why I traded mine in. Even for a sport tourer level i4 it was miserable below 80k's. Got a tiger 900 and get to thrash and thow it around like its a moto. Nice being able to use more than 10% throttle all the time too.

Miss the far nicer dash display from the Kawi though.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Deeters posted:

I saw someone riding a Motocompacto at work today. Riding one looks as ridiculous as I thought. Feel free to make fun of the guy for buying a $1000 suitcase to ride the 3/4 of a mile from parking lot to his office.

It really does look like a solution looking for a problem. A normal scooter does the same job and looks less like riding a briefcase. It reeks of 'cruising around the Google/apple campus to get my latte' techbro feel also.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Arson Daily posted:

harley CEO doubling down on the "make very expensive road couches" strategy isnt helping either.

The price tag on them in kangaroo land is insane too. 30+ grand for a stock cruiser is very much rich boomer territory only and that's just for a low rider, the road kings are 40k and up.

Then again, not like anyone can afford houses here anymore, so I guess you could just drop 50k on a bike instead.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
Finance on a vehicle that can get cleaned up at the first intersection by some dude in a dodge Ram looking at his phone while driving seems like a bad decision.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Rolo posted:

No honey it’s fine, I’m being good with money!

Also can you park in the drive from now on, the garage needs more room for the new bikes that arrive tomorrow.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

I park all ... uh... 5 of my bikes in my garage and there's even room for tools, a bench, a motorcycle lift, and a Subi Outback.
Tight fit at that point. If you want to work on any of it inside the garage, the Outback is first to stay in the rain.

Unf. I want that garage organisation. And that many bikes. Actually 2 or 3 would probably do me.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
Did that award for anything poo poo even start with millenials? I never got one growing up. Maybe it's the younger ones of that group. I've always been in the 'you win or you lose' era of millenials.

Participation awards didn't start until my kids were growing up. So gen z or whatever the next one was.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

CongoJack posted:

Riding a motorcycle gives you a very valid reason to dress up like some kind of cool fighter pilot, why wouldn’t you take it?

This.

You get to gear up and wear armour then ride a motorcycle. We might get bug splatters, cars trying to kill us, rained on, freezing cold or melting in the heat, but we get to wear gear that protects us AND makes us feel like some future soldier with armour plating.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

I kind of want a one piece suit just to look as dorky as possible.

Do it, then hire a harley road King or a Goldwing for the day.

Make sure it's got motogp logos all over the suit.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
I usually do the side tilt nod because I've got too much going on with cars around me for a wave.

Even seen someone do the foot drop wave thing that I thought was only a European custom.

But yeah, two wheels and a motor, you're getting a nod. Harley riders don't like it but deal with it.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
Do they have speed restrictions on filtering there? Ours is sub 30km/hr 18mph which at least helps reduce getting doored by giving more reaction time.

Thankfully most people here are so precious about their hundred grand dodge rams (that barely fit in the lane) or Teslas that they just block the lane a bit more as a gently caress you. Worst I have had to worry about is the on the phone idiots in cars or the sudden dart to another lane with no indication poo poo.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

MSPain posted:

lmao my favorite part is probably the load 'secured' with a rope tied to the swing arm

First thing for me was the tyre that's down to the cords (someone likes doing burnouts),

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

epswing posted:

If the rope is a bungee cord I don't see a problem.

Bungee cord is tied around the license plate bolts. Bet the one onto the swing arm is just some rope.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

I know I've mentioned how much I like my Gsx-s750, but just riding around town running some errands, it struck me that this bike is probably all the bike I'll ever want. Other bikes do one thing or another better, but this thing is just so versatile, while still being fun as heck to ride. Comfortable, makes good noise, equally at home pootling around town in 2nd and 3rd gear as it is grinding highway miles, as it is carving through mountain passes and twisty roads. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it's perfect for me.

Some bikes just do that. Doesn't matter the power, specs or anything, just makes you feel good.

Do yourself a favour and never replace it, get another bike, but don't sell that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
Speed, drugs/alcohol, or lack of gear are usually the major causes of fatalities here.

Mitigate those risks and the survival rate improves dramatically.