Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Russian Bear posted:

I’d rather watch Itchy Boots’ adventure than any of the Long Way Arounds.
I don't know how she does it sometimes, the content is consistently good and well edited and she does it all by herself in rented rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Strife posted:

Somehow I'd never heard of Itchy Boots. This is exactly what I want to watch.
It's really good, he youtube showed up in my feed and I watched a few and thought they were good, so I went back and watched the whole season, and it's quite something. Seeing so much of central america from back roads and unknown towns is neat and she really has a way with the locals so she gets lots of help and tips on neat areas to explore. She takes a lot of risks it seems, but never has any major issues besides dumping her bike on terrible back roads. It reminds me of the old Lonely Planet shows they had on the travel channel, except on a 300cc rally bike.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

TotalLossBrain posted:

Still zero rain and warm/hot in the PDX area
Yeah, looks like amazing weather all the way in to October.

I ride daily at lunch, just try and find new routes to take. Have put in 2k miles since I bought it in July but also my first bike so I am not over how fun it is yet.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
No one gets to pump their own gas except motorcycles in Oregon, so not only do I get to skip ahead of everyone waiting for the attendant, no one gets out of their cars so I don't have to talk to them.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I'm in miserable rainy Oregon, but our temperatures are moderate and we don't use ice, so I ride a couple times a week still, rode in the rain yesterday but also it was above 50.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, it's 52 in Portland today and I road about 40 miles. It's been pretty mild and every time I think we're going to have a cold spell it only lasts a couple of days.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The US and Canadian ZX-4 is said to only make 56hp due to redline being significantly lower than the Euro spec bike, down from 74hp. Has this been verified? I don't think they have even listed US specs yet that I can find anyway. Not that I am in the market for one, but seems like that defeats the purpose of bringing back a small displacement 4.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Quad Lock too lol

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I don't know how many people watch Itchy Boots here, but she destroyed her clutch in Liberia, got towed by a bike to Ivory Coast, and then had some local mechanic completely tear down the engine of her CRF Rally, clean it, rebuild the whole clutch assembly and then put it back together, basically in a parking lot where she is staying. They literally were pulling out pieces of the clutch plates that broke off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05NiTpy-tfg

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Geekboy posted:

That mud she was riding through while utterly destroying that clutch was insane. Trucks stuck for weeks in it and only 2 wheeled vehicles could kind of, sort of get through.

She had them do all that work while using her phone to translate when she couldn’t find a common language to go into detail in.

The sheer number of times I would 100% have given up this season have been insane.
I just can't believe they made it through the mud, it was insane, I have never seen a road like that being used as a main road and people just stuck there for weeks. The amount of help she got this season is amazing. Just this one sequence from the mud in Liberia, where someone rides the bile through it for her (and kills her clutch) to the guy who stopped and towed her, to the brother who towed her to Ivory Coast, and then the truck that took her from the border to the city, and then the mechanics, just a string of luck (and time I guess, it's sometimes hard to tell how long this is taking).

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have some mediocre boots, the rest of my gear is solid. What are some good boots that aren't literal racing boots? I have a real time figuring this out and just give up.

By the way, if you like leather these Noru ones are on special for $99, I wear them, really comfortable. The leather is pretty thick and they have knee armor.

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/pants/cruiser_leather_pants_and_chaps/noru/kuro_leather_pant.html

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
"Is that all you got?"

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I watch every episode, the Central Africa trip she is taking to me is just crazy. A lot of these countries literally have no electricity, one had a ship docked off shore generating electricity for the city using a Diesel generator. There are gas shortages, military road blocks, crazy river crossings in small boats, the whole thing is just such a spectical to watch. And somehow when he bike won't start, or she gets stuck in mud, or has no where to sleep some nice person comes along and helps out. i really enjoy her, and also watching this little 300cc engine get through all this makes me want one as well, they seem so expensive though so I stopped looking for now.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I like the R7 a lot more, but I haven't ridden either one. The stacked bug lights on that Suzuki don't look great to me though. Also not a big fan of the way they put 8S(R) on their ptwin variants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Geekboy posted:

2 weeks or so ago there was also that yearly “every dipshit on a dual sport or pit bike riding around like assholes” ride that probably made the numbers look terrible. I can’t remember what it’s called.

I never, ever want to discount the dangers of riding but … there’s a lot of dead dumbasses.
Alley sweeper, people have really strong opinions on it lol. I have never seen it as I don't live in the city proper, but I love reading the reddit threads on it.