Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Question for a rider whose been out of the saddle for a while. I haven't ridden a motorcycle in about 5 years, or even a scooter in about 3. Before that I had about 3 1/2 years of pretty frequent riding split between a Honda Magna and a VFR800.

Since I am pretty set on getting a new BMW R Nine T when they're here, what should I do to prepare? Is it necessary to retake the basic MSF or should I do their advance course?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Does anyone change their own rubber on bikes? The cheapest price I can find locally for mount and balance is $35 per rim if I take the rims to a shop.

I ask because I'm going to need to change all rubber twice within about a two week period and was thinking it'll be cheaper for me to purchase the tools and handle it myself. I don't really need to balance because the 2nd set will be for off-road and I'll just chalk the first pair to know their proper position on the rim. It'll also be a good excuse to finally buy an air compressor.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

No valve stems needed, running the OEM spoke rims with tubes. :mrgw:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Let's all give money to organized religion who we know suffer from a lack of income and too high of taxes.

Deeters posted:

I just found out about this charity in LA: http://www.bikesoverbangn.com/

The kid trying to wheelie his 50 is so :3: that I want to throw money at them.

is this some weird motorcycle/abstinence thing?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Oh, gang bang'n

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

So I didn't manage to ride due to a flat, but I went out to a weird little motorcycle race in the woods. There were some great pics and some interesting vids as well.

Frankenbike making a jump...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1sNu_iDFJw

Someone's dad going vertical...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mMHqCcdPqY

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I picked up a Sena 10C the other day as I've been meaning to get a helmet bluetooth apparatus and also a helmet camera, so two things in one from a really good manufacturer was perfect for me.

Battery life is outstanding and the controls are really nice to use with gloves. Even has FM radio.

The video is really good and detailed but a bit vibey. I'm sure standard image stabilization in iMovie or whatever would fix it, but it's also probably due to the vibes inherent in the DRZ. The microphone and noise cancellation is crazy good. I'm coming down with a nasty head cold and listening to todays video you can hear every little sniffle perfectly :zombie:

I just picked one of these up as well and after playing around a little, I'm very happy. I agree that image stabilization could be better for the raw MP4 it writes, but like you said that can be smoothed out after if needed. Hopefully this will prevent any he said / she said incidents.

Edit: I have to amend this because the stupid thing quit working. For some reason it will never enter video record mode and it keeps freezing after I power down (unable to turn on). I tried updating overwriting the firmware (v1.0) but that failed multiple times. I'm going to exchange this unit tomorrow and hope that it's a defective unit.

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 13, 2015

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Radbot posted:

gently caress me, work is going to start charging $15/day to park here in Denver. CO allows "low power" (under 50cc) scooters to park on the sidewalk and doesn't require full DMV registration.

Sounds like I've got a Ruckus, Zuma, Buddy or their ilk in my future. Hell, I'd likely pay a used one off in 4 months max just with parking savings alone.

Jesus Christ that's $300 a month for the privilege of working there!

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Chichevache posted:

The narrator is Pierre Camembert. Pierre is the French form of the name Peter. Peter is often used as slang for a man's reproductive organ, much like Dick or Johnson. Camembert is a type of cheese.

Our narrator is Dick Cheese.:laugh:

I don't think that's his real name. :ssh:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Hahaha, but I seriously had the same reaction. Nice jacket for sure.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

R Nine T is pretty small for a 1200cc bike. My VFR800 felt much bigger by comparison. It's a combination of the wheelbase and lack of fairings.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

How can any heel riders lean enough while not dragging toe? Seems like a good way to break a foot.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

Some bikes are equipped with ground clearance :eng101:

Not mine :-/

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

My years of riding clipped in on bicycles has transitioned to motorcycles. My balls are always on the pegs

How do you sit so low?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

red19fire posted:

Open Source Motorcycle. I'm wondering where you source the steering tube from. And I guess you order the tank/seat & wiring harness from the guy who makes it?

E: it's some kid's school project, but god drat I can dream.

I've seen a few builds using this design. Can't say I liked a single one.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Bug eyes, best eyes. New ones look like trash in comparison.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Can anyone confirm if the FJ-09 has a standard size DC power plug or if it's one of the small ones (like BMW).

I'm renting one in a bit and want to be sure I can keep my phone and camera charged.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Ola posted:

Yes, standard size plug.

Gracias!

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Nitrox posted:

You know what's easy to winterize? A fuel injected motorcycle. You just come back to it 6 months later, take off battery charger, turn key and go.

You still want to have ethanol-free fuel in it. FI bikes still have vented tanks.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Fifty Three posted:

I don't see Yuengling in that list. :colbert:

That's actually a pretty decent selection, though.

Yuengling tastes like poo poo and supported Trump. Piss beer for a lover of piss.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I can understand a brain fart but if you have to explain it more than once...

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

It's that Suzuki's version of an RC51?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Honda Africa Twin or a Ducati Hypermotard perhaps?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Is it not supposed to show at all?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I just see a lot of white men talking and no actual motorcycle to show.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Yuns posted:

I own a Tesla Model 3 and getting rid of driver side screens and gauges and putting everyone into a giant tablet in the middle is moronic. Yet when I point out that I'd like discrete physical controls for commonly used things like the wipers and climate so that I can change them without taking my eyes off the road, fellow Tesla owner treat me like a Luddite. Well maybe I don't want to page through nested menus to change wiper speed. Did you know there is no physical button to open the glove box? You actually have to use the touch screen menu to open it (or voice recognition). I don't need this level of design for my motorcycles.

Touchscreens are the worst part of Tesla as a driving experience

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Ziploc posted:

Saw this today in a youtube video.

https://damon.com/reserve-hs

I just did the dumb thing

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

LodeRunner posted:

Congratulations on your reservation! You will surely help their company achieve their dreams.

You mean stealing money?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Gorson posted:

421 wet is about what you'd expect for an all steel retrocruiser but that HP output is abysmal.

Getting a CM400 with a K/Q seat vibe from this. Is the 80's bike revolution finally happening?

Looks bad

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

oh absolutely

Also that was an Always Sunny joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC-OucPbBCo&t=154s

My old roommate basically had this happen. Small oopsie, big brain damage.

Wear helmets.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Deeters posted:

This was the Harley test ride guide about 10 years ago:

Trying to make you feel this kindof special has been their play for a long time.

Honestly fine. More motorcycle dealers should offer test rides and felate me, too.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Drinking is involved in over 50% of motorcycle fatalities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Thanks man