Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

As a new bike owning new rider, I don’t get the “don’t buy new” mantra. But maybe I’m being overly pragmatic about it.

I didn’t buy something I couldn’t afford (I paid cash)
I didn’t have to spend days on busses going to random suburbs to look at 125cc “rentals” that could have been dropped by all of its its 5 POs, on top of who knows what “mods”
Everyone says my bike is beautiful, and I struggled to find one for sale used.
If I drop it, it’s my fault, but I accepted that before I bought it. It’s a tool, tools get scrapes and dings, deal with it.
If something happens to it, I can walk up the road to the dealer and say “deal with it”

All these things make me happy. And I think this is the real message “buy what will make you happy, dropping a new bike you overpaid on finance probably won’t make you happy”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

Olds might bitch about bikes "weaving through traffic" but the vast majority of people here don't care about splitting bikes and some people will even move over to make more room when they see you :britain:
I’ve only started riding a few months ago, and have yet to get to grips of how and where to lane split (why isn’t this covered in the CBT?), but I’ve noticed most people in London will happily wait for any bikes sitting at their sides before moving from a stop.

I need to change the end mirrors on my bike tho, toe-in I can’t angle them right, and toe-out adds another 8” to my overall width, and they sit at Tesla wing mirror height.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

Anyone else ever get tailgated in the fast lane because somebody wants to follow you until you pull in specifically so they can check out your bike while they go past?

No, but I’ve had a moto courier block me off so he could ask about my bike. Thought I was getting mugged.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

0pis, but should be at 3 pis soon.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

epalm posted:

But I've put it up for sale, I'm not riding it fun-ly enough (new dad) to warrant keeping a bike that wants to be ridden fun-ly. What dad-bike should I get?
What makes a dad bike a dad bike?

Utility? Boringness? BMW logos?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I pay ~£500 a year for 500 miles of third party, fire and theft on a 125cc bike. My xsr700 is ~£1100 for 2000 miles.

My insurance would go down if I parked it on the street instead of chained up in my apartments underground car park.

Makes no sense.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

When I lived in London, a) no, b) yes (I found it awkward to fill my bikes while sitting on them). I think once I was asked to remove my helmet, which I did, but that was in an area where they probably get robbed every other week.
Note to non-UK goons, pay-at-the-pump was still uncommon 5-10 years ago there, despite the far more advanced ways they have to take your money.
Everywhere else I've ridden (Ontario, Alberta, BC, France), basically what CanOfMDAmp said.

Pay at pump is Still uncommon in London. I think maybe 1 in 5 pumps is pay at pump? It’s not even consistent by chain.

Not many places ask you to take your helmet off. I’ve had one that cut me off after 2L, and the attendant inside told me to take my helmet off next time... Not going back there.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Skyarb posted:

I'm a giant loving idiot. Should I get a Grom or a Monkey?

Super Cub

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I guess you’re just going to have to paint/wrap all your plastics to match.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Strife posted:

Yeah I thought that too. Before the first ride I tried to hook it onto anything else or get it into anything and it’s too short to get in the way.

I thought the same about my boot laces. How could they get caught? The loops are maybe 5cm long max and are covered by my jeans...

But no, they got caught on something.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the best way to get motorcycle comms working with a car for a road trip? I have a Cardo system so I could theoretically just do a phone call and get the car to call me, but that sounds less than ideal.

It would be cool if Cardo sold a comms unit that you could just clip to the sun visor like the old timey Bluetooth mics you paired yo your phone.

Sena make a range of non bike Bluetooth comm stuff.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I want to add a helmet lock to my bike for next year and I'm seeing all these kits that either bolt onto the handlebars with separate keys I'd need to carry or U-bracket kits that go under the passenger seat..

Help me sanity check -- is there anything any of these kits would do that I can't accomplish by just getting a karabiner, attaching it to some kind of frame member under my passenger cowl, then clipping it to a helmet strap D-ring and putting the passenger cowl back on? Everything else seems needlessly complicated by comparison.
other than speed, Nope.

The XSR700 comes with a screwdriver in a tool rack under the seat, and a length of steel cable with two loops at each end.

You take the cable and loop it through your helmet, then put the screwdriver through the loops and back in it’s slot. Then put the seat back on.

It’s all quite simple. Except for putting the seat back on, that’s a gently caress to do.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Well this is a new one: Some dickhead stole the cover off of my bike. And it's raining right now. :(

What are the best outdoor covers out there for a sportbike? I'm looking for something with a strap on the bottom as it looks like the wind may have done half the job. I've come outside to the cover halfway off the bike before, but I looked up the street and in a bunch of garbage bins today and it's straight-up gone.

I have two neverland covers.

They don’t have a strap under the belly, but they do have eyelets for both wheels (and straps). Two cheap cable locks will keep it on the bike.

[E] they’re also cheap as piss.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 23, 2020

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Knox orsa mk3 use Roo on the palm too. And their “textile” variant makes them feel more like a pair of Mechanix gloves.
They make a full leather gauntlet version too.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

I maintain that Lexus people are worse. BMW/Audi are psychos, Lexus are totally unaware of other road users, road markings, or that they're even driving a car at all. Then when they collide with reality they get super indignant.

It’s Nissan Qashqai drivers in London. They all drive like they’re on disassociatives.

I don’t know what it is, Crossover drivers are ‘bad’ but the Qashqai seems to make drivers brain dead.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Jazzzzz posted:

. I don't see them pivoting to making high volume low margin small bikes for the Asian market, and their efforts at less expensive, newbie-friendly bikes like the Street 750 have been somewhat half-assed. Their dealer network isn't much help either. What's left? Three-wheelers/Slingshots, HD side-by-sides, snow machines?

They’re “making” a small displacement HD via china. I think it’s a 350cc Quinjang w/ Harley plastics.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

https://thekneeslider.com/hydrostatic-drive-diesel-motorcycle/

Hydrostatic drive motorcycle.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

The advice in the UK is to tell the council responsible for the sensor that it doesn’t detect bikes.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Stingwing posted:

Speaking of bicycles, I just remembered BMW sold these telelever bicycles at one point:

Apparently it was ~$4000

They also made a skateboard

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_SqGFqOXvMus/TJA0gr1DObI/AAAAAAAAALU/VCCmOAMdRLc/s1600/bmw-street-carver-skateboard-1.jpg

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

epalm posted:

Anyone ridden a Ténéré 700? Or is it not "out" yet except for BS magazine reviews?

I test ride one a few weeks ago.

I have an XSR700 (which shares the engine) but it felt big, heavy, and they had tuned out a lot of the character of the engine. They ‘fixed’ the low speed snatichiness that’s been an issue with the engine forever, but it felt a bit flat.

Ultimately, I found it somewhat dull and unexciting.

I plan to do another test ride on one when COVID/weather turns for the better, but I’m not holding my breath.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

An exciting, quirky learner bike is the last thing anyone needs.

Everyone needs a DRZ.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Oibignose posted:

The RS will be £206 a year and the Trident probably going to be about £150 ish so not a deal breaker.

The gently caress.

<cries in Londonish>

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 11, 2020

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

The SVs singular skinny exhaust pipe sticking out the front always made me feel like it’s a 125cc bike.

That tanto looks rad tho.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I’ve seen people around London on these (or something very similar) back in 2019.

They look cool, but seemed more like an electric bicycle than a motorcycle.

With even a 45mph speed limit, I wouldn’t want to be on any arterial A road on it. which excludes a large portion of London. At least a 125 will do 60 eventually.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

The cake is a massively overpriced hipster boondoggle, and ugly as sin. What is up with all these BESPOKE electric motorcycle companies popping up and making costly, ugly pieces of poo poo? I wish Zero had some real competition, or got bought by a manufacturer with a legit distribution network and quality control.

Because it’s easy. Development is pre-done. Motors, batteries, controllers. Just bolt poo poo together, flash some firmware, throw it out the door.

Demand is low, so prices are high.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I think last year I paid £1200 for insurance.
This year it came down to £900 or something.

London is the worst.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Rolo posted:

I’m so excited the bike posts are gonna start ramping up as we get into riding season 2021

I’m putting mine in crates and sending them on a 6 month solo journey to the other side of the world right as the weather is getting good :(

Gonna have to live vicariously through the forums.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Redvenom posted:

Why would you do this rather than selling and buying something when you get to your destination? That's what I did.

Already have a container, already have the bikes. Plus I recently (like the week before we decided we’re moving) serviced, re-tyred and re-wired one of them.

Might actually sell one, but it doesn’t seem worthwhile selling a running and reliable DRZ to buy another that might not be as reliable.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 1, 2021

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wait why did I think Yamaha already had a middleweight triple? Who have I got them confused with?

(Yes I know they did one in the 70s/80s)

Aprilia 660? Triumph Trident?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

SEKCobra posted:

It's not really limited to automotive stuff, global logistics are in the shitter.

Yep. A 40ft container full of house contents cost less than £6k to ship pre-covid, and is costing close to £9k now.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

busalover posted:

The Tenere 700 display hits the sweet spot for me. Like an over-sized Casio watch, gives you all the info, nothing too fancy, not too minimal, just right.

I have no idea why it’s so big. It has exactly the same amount of information as the MT07 and XSR700 dials, but is over twice the size.

And why is there a button on the right switch gear to control it. It just cycles through display info.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

The AT dash is so convoluted, they made a simulator for it.

https://powersports.honda.com/legacy/mksa/index.html

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Deeters posted:

Pretty sure the DRZ has the casio watch of displays.

I wouldn't mind a fuel gauge, but it's so common to swap tanks on it, that it makes sense to not.

The DRZ dash is the other end of the Africa Twin UI scale. So incredibly basic, yet still awful and complicated.

Why does it have so many buttons? Why doesn’t the trip button reset the trip when you’re holding it down? How do you set the time? Why can the two trips go up or down? Why can I manually adjust them? How did I get tripB to say “100” and stay saying that for multiple rides? Why did it stop?

If there was something decent to replace it with, I would.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 14, 2021

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

Seen in The Missenden Flyer's latest video on youtube:

Instructions unclear. Inserted buttplug, videos still suicidally dull.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Trying to sell my XSR and getting the same poo poo as Steak.

Early hagglers and flakes.

I’ve got 22 days to sell it. Here’s hoping.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Deffo have a Socal Supermoto holiday on the cards when COVID is over.

Salisbury Snape posted:

Daaaamn that sounds fun as heck.
After a quick Google I can't seem to find anything in the UK that offers this sort of package without using your own bike :(

That berm doesn't look that Savage in the video, but I guess it's something that's far more tricky when you actually come to it.

There’s a few supermoto all-inclusive holidays down in Spain. They don’t do dirt, but do do accommodation, travel, bike, gear.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Klims Hardanger has a metal loop in it so you can lock your suit to the bike.

But after a year, I wouldn’t recommend buying one.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

High Protein posted:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2021-triumph-trident-vs-2021-yamaha-mt-07

Apparently the Trident does everything the MT07 doesn't, however that includes having a boring engine and possibly grenading itself, time will tell.
The fact that Yamaha keeps releasing bikes with lovely throttle response is inexcusable though, it's almost like every new model has it and then it's patched out after a year or two. They also keep increasing the prices of their popular models, effectively pricing themselves into nicer-bike territory, same happened for the Tracer.

I would love to ride a MT-07/XSR with a full suspension upgrade (I suspect even the cheapest aftermarket parts would be immeasurably better) and remapped ECU to fix the snatchy throttle.

They were going to be my next purchase for my XSR, but I didn’t see the point spending another £1-2000 on a £5000 bike... But I’m curious on what I’m missing out on.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Rolo posted:

It's making me more interested to see what they have on the R7 when it gets announced at :toot: R World :toot: tomorrow.

Leaked pics show what looks like an updated front at least.

Yeah, the r7 getting new suspension rustles my jimmies a bit. It’s (imo) easily the worst bit about the other bikes.

Maybe they’ll bring them to everything else in 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

right arm posted:

why did they do an upshift only quick shifter lol

Traditional cable throttle on the CP2 engine. No fly by wire to blip the throttle for downshift.