Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I am so unmechanical, just looking at that picture fills me with anxiety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Patrocclesiastes posted:

I use a backpack...

Though an underbone with a crate would be a nice citybike

:cool:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Martytoof posted:

My goal is to do this along the coast of Japan in a few years once I have my bike legs under me.

Combining still being green with riding on the "wrong" side of the road in an unfamiliar country sounds like one too many variables for 2020.

I wonder about this. When driving a right-hand drive car on the left side, you adjust pretty quickly, but on a bike there’s no visual reference to remind/clue you in. I drove in NZ, and it was fine, but when I was riding a mountain bike on a two-way single track, and when another bicycle was coming the other way around a blind bend, I instinctively went to the right, which was wrong, and we nearly crashed into each other (or I guess I nearly crashed into them). If the road had stripes then I feel like you would be fine, but wonder what others experiences are.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Was not expecting so many cold af states to have such high percentages of motorcycles. Must be busy on the roads in summer!

You go, Montana and South Dakota. :patriot:

That Montana one kind of surprises me. I’m from Montana, and I really don’t remember seeing that many bikes on the roads. Maybe somehow it includes dirt bikes? Or maybe because there is so few people the guys with 3-4 bikes throw the numbers off.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

Rather than attempt to poorly rehash someone else's argument I'm just gonna post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBT5aXoJghY

Tl;dr: I disagree that it's an infrastructure problem. If your use case is daily commuting, existing electrics are already excellent. e/ apart from the high cost of the vehicle itself, obviously.

The number one problem with electric cars/bikes for me is I don’t own a home and have no way to charge it. That’s a problem only seeming to get worse. I guess I could go charge it at public charging stations every other week but that sounds miserable.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 22, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

LodeRunner posted:

Here's what I did today:

Is Big Sur any good for riding? I feel like you’d spend the entire time stuck in a traffic jam. Or is it way better on a weekday? Maybe it’s so pretty it doesn’t matter :shobon:

I want to go down and try Nacimiento Rd but I wonder if it would be even worse than Hwy 1.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I’m lucky and have managed to get 3 parking spaces for less than $100 each, but yeah I would love an actual dedicated garage, especially if I could fit a truck in it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Mirconium posted:

lmao 80 mph? So it makes like... what, 20 horsepower? That is literally a chinese escooter that they slapped fairings on. Not even like a good chinese escooter. China does make good escooters occasionally, and this is not one of em.

The 120hp engine was 1 20 hp engine, simple parsing error.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Aren’t most of us millennials? I think the current age range is 25-40. I like the way the Street Rod looks, especially in white, but the rest of their bikes don’t really speak to me at all. I would way rather have a Goldwing than a Road Glide.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The Bronx and Pan America are still on their website. I don’t know the economics of motorcycle manufacturing, but wouldn’t cancelling those bikes be pointless? Do they have to retool their factories to make them? They already spent a lot of money on R&D I would think. If they aren’t optimistic about the bikes couldn’t they do a limited run and see how it shakes out?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

LodeRunner posted:

Mm. Got to ride a bit of CA Hwy 9 and Hwy 35 yesterday. loving heaven.

No CHP? Maybe I’m paranoid, but I have been avoiding down there because I feel like an easy target for a ticket for non essential travel. I was going to go down this weekend or sometime next week but just stick to the county roads.

I had a meeting in San Jose on Monday and was going to take 9/35/84/1 back home but then my coworker showed up and wanted me to show him the warehouse so I spent all day on the freeway :smith:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Is anyone in California actually getting tickets for that? So far in the Bayarrhea to my knowledge they've only gone after the really huge idiots like the people who threw a warehouse party a week after the shelter-in-place started.

Certainly going out and riding your motorcycle by yourself on a deserted road is not contributing to the spread of the virus to any noticeable extent.

Yeah only that and some guys doing a beer run in Santa Cruz from like 50 miles away. I agree, riding a motorcycle isn’t contributing to any spread. I thought it was weird that it wasn’t on the “approved outdoor activities” though. Oh well, it’s probably fine. :shobon:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Does that bike sound as good as the original CBX though? I don’t understand how header and exhaust design affects the engine note, but the original sounds incredible.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

LodeRunner posted:

loving lovely day doing Hwy 17, 9 , and 35. Overcast which is ideal for electric bikes; we like cooler days for thermal management. Rode with a friendly Zero rider who hit thermal cutback on his motor after aggressive riding and had to back off. Bear Creek Road continues to have 2 sets of stoplights for the single lane construction. I am very much looking forward to when that all finishes.

Bear Creek Rd is awesome. I went down twice this week, was on Pescadero Creek, Stage Rd, and Tunitas Creek. I really like Tunitas. It’s just the right amount of bumpy.

I actually only saw one single CHP as I was leaving, but loads of sheriffs and park rangers. I guess we are in the clear! My friend mentioned to me when this first started up he was actually told by a CHP he couldn’t stop and rest at the parking lots at 35/84. I guess they have bigger concerns at this point.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yerok posted:

I have seen a grand total of one person on a 310, and it was the lil GS flavor. It was like a mini long way round cosplay.

I see a 300lbs dude riding one around with a huge plastic storage bin bungee strapped to the back and an enormously loud exhaust.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

People in SoCal will go 90mph or more given the opportunity. I can see being a little nervous to attempt an overtake on an uphill on a smaller bike in that kind of traffic. I think a DRZ wouldn’t have much trouble in normal freeway traffic, but I’ve never ridden one.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I rode an RC51 today. It had fueling issues, though, so I didn’t really get to experience the bike. I actually ran out of fuel after 35 miles and I had to push it a couple hundred feet along the road to a gas station. It’s a heavy bike. There was a few times where it got the ratios right and the bike just exploded like a two stroke and I thought wow I don’t like this bike. Too bad. We disconnected the power commander autotune and then it perked right up, but the ride was kind of over at that point. :smith:

The front brake felt kind of spongy. The rear brake lever was way to high and I couldn’t even reach it. The front had plenty of stopping power for what I was doing, but I was surprised by how soft they were. They probably need to be bled. I would expect a lot more initial bite on a bike like that.

The riding position was fairly comfortable. Much better than I was expecting, but I didn’t even ride for an hour. It’s sooo much easier to squeeze the tank than on my bike. I’m actually going to reevaluate my posture when I get back home. The suspension was also comfortable. I don’t think I hit any big bumps but it never felt overly firm or harsh.

I was struck by how heavy the bike felt. At low speed it felt like it wanted to fall over and at higher speeds it took way more effort to steer. My bike is 313lbs, has wide handle bars, and a 150 rear tire. This bike is nearly 500lbs with clip-ons and 190 at the rear.

It sounds good.

I also rode a Ducati 1098, but I only rode that on the freeway. It had no fueling issues and it definitely the fastest, most powerful thing I’ve ever rode/driven. It also felt substantially lighter and more maneuverable than the RC51, but according to the internet it’s only 50lbs lighter. Maybe that is enough to make a big difference?

It also had fairly compliant suspension. The tank crushed my nuts, so maybe I was sitting too far forward. I was also expecting the clutch to be kind of snappy and brutal but it was fine. Maybe I was doing it wrong. The clutch housing was definitely hot when my leg pressed against it at a stop. I don’t recall my leg ever touching the housing on my bike, so I don’t know how hot should seem normal.

The brakes were definitely sharper than the RC51 as well. The foot controls felt better placed, but that Honda’s brake lever is probably not where it should be, for some reason.

Anyway it was a nice experience overall. I might be here a little longer so maybe I’ll get to try the RC51 again. Either way, I am looking forward to getting back home and riding my CB300R :shobon:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Oh for sure. I wasn’t trying to say the RC51 is bad, just my experience was botched. Both bikes are owned by my brother. He’s selling the RC51 actually. I guess he has neglected it some. I would probably get the bike into better running condition before selling it, or letting someone ride it, but we have very different personalities.

I’m a beginner and those are the only street bikes I’ve been able to ride besides my bike and my MFS bike. I took it pretty easy because both bikes are a huge step up in power from mine. It was about 20 miles in I started to realize something was wrong, when I started getting that 2-stroke-esque power delivery.

It was to ride something else. My bike is definitely more fun for me because it’s much more aligned with my skill level, but that Ducati’s acceleration was wild.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I can’t imagine riding without a full face helmet. Even the few times I’ve ridden with my visor open, each time something flew into my eye. It was at low speeds, which is why I had it open, but still immensely uncomfortably for a few minutes.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Here’s another installment in my “lil guy big bike” series. I rode an S1000XR yesterday, pokie’s actually. Biggest take away: I don’t like windscreens. I mean if it’s cold and/or you’re on the freeway it’s probably nice, but it was so effective blocking the wind I actually started to get hot. He is taller than I so probably some adjustments could be made. I also couldn’t adjust the mirrors with how they were mounted, so I couldn’t see behind me. I don’t know how Coydog does it. It felt weird. Tank again was also easier to squeeze. After getting back onto my bike, I think this is just because my bike is so small, not because of how I am sitting, or whatever. My bike feels so spartan in comparison. The engine felt very smooth and free-revving; I guess that’s what you can expect with an inline 4. I love the exhaust note, and the quickshifter on the downshifts was more exciting than I would have guessed.

Now I need to ride some bikes that have 50-80hp instead of 30 or 160. Also, I need to do more weekday riding. Sooo much better. I went to my usual riding roads after we parted ways. On the weekend I would usually see a few hundred bikes, whereas yesterday I saw maybe 10, and basically no cars. I did ~60 miles and only once got stuck behind a car, and that was mostly because there was a one-lane road section to stack the cars up.

Has anyone ever rented a bike off Twisted Road or something similar? I feel a little anxious hopping onto a stranger's bike.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That sucks. It actually looks like your side stand bends? Or did it sink in and then fold back?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I remember when the YZ400F came out. I remember most of all, everyone thought it 1.) sounded terrible, 2.) shouldn't be in the 250 class :colbert:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

HD has factory riders on heavily modified Street 750s racing flat track and has for years now. You'd think with the sales success of the Indian FTR1200 HD would've been tripping over themselves to release an XG750R for a few grand less than the Indian and get some of those sales, but nope.

Harley’s new CEO literally said they will not pursue volume and instead will be focus on exclusivity, low stock, and high prices.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

In some states it is legal for motorcycles at a sensored light to treat them as a stop sign if the light isn't responding. Wait for a nice big gap in traffic and just gun it. Usually I just do that.

TheBacon posted:

Ya that's always been my strat on the lights I know in my normal routes that won't trigger.

Is this legal in California then, or you guys just assume no traffic = no police so good to go? This isn't a problem I often encounter and have only had to walk over to the stop light once or twice, but I would rather not if I don't have to!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly I don’t see how a cop could really give you trouble for it. I’d argue abandoning your bike in an intersection and running back to it potentially while your light is green is more dangerous than just making sure it’s safe to cross

I do it all the time in WI and have never once had an issue

Oh, I agree 100%. That's exactly why I don't want to do it, but I wouldn't put it past a cop to ticket me. I got a ticket on my bicycle for running a stop sign at an empty intersection. I don't know what my company's policies are these days, but in the past people would get fired over moving violations, so I am pretty cautious.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I apologize in advance for even asking, but why is it OK for sport bike tires to run in such cold conditions? On a car, if you had similar performance-oriented summer tires, your grip would be severely diminished, right? Do motorcycle tires have much wider operating ranges, even tires like those? I would assume motorcycle tires in general are oriented towards warm weather.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don't think that's it

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

where's my electric motorcycle that sounds like this btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdSKT_8OfKg

How is this spinning? Is it being backfed? We have 2x 2MW generators at work. It sounds surprisingly familiar considering the enormous diesel engine thundering away behind it.

Edit: oh I just searched it on YouTube and I guess that’s an engine not a generator. :unsmith:

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 7, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Every bike can wheelie.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yamaha doesn’t like wheelies and is getting rid of both the R6 and WR250R. That seems kind of crazy to me, but I don’t know anything about the industry. I was planning to buy a WR250R once I had some money. I guess I can still get one used but the used prices are pretty absurd from what I’ve seen. :smith:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

The writing is on the wall for 600 supersports because the fim is going to allow 765 Triumphs and 959 Ducatis to participate, presumably the Japanese will respond to this by building ~650 i4's based on their current bikes but yeah. You aren't gonna beat a 959 with a 600 unless there's some serious performance balancing involved.

Ah, that makes more sense. I hadn’t paid attention. This article says the same thing basically. I wonder why they’re getting rid of the WR250R, though. I wonder if they’ll replace it with a more performance-oriented 450 version.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Why do the headers combine much sooner now? More emissions related stuff? It's kind of ugly

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Combat Theory posted:

The shielded housing is for another catalytic converter. In order to cope with the glorious new emissions regulations that say your bike can't have any heat up time anymore before they start checking emissions. It's basically there for the first 20 seconds of run time then it's dead weight.

:negative:

I better buy a CB650R while it’s still good looking.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

:shrug:

The only bike I’ve ridden more than 20 miles is my CB300R, so it’s fun to me. The engine is a little dreary but overall I think it’s an ace bike.

My initial concerns with the CB650R are it weighs 40lbs more than an MT-07, probably because of engine, and costs 1,500 more.

I can’t really afford a new bike at the moment, and I think I would rather buy a dual sport or sumo instead of a bigger street bike. I have room for 2 or 3 bikes, and the correct number is 4 IIRC.

I kind of wish they would bring back the smaller supersport like 250 or 400 making 50-80hp. I’m sure whatever replaces the R6 will be quite a machine but way too much to ever use on the street.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

So I take it they never sued you?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

A couple months ago a guy in my alley had a CB400F and would spend about 10 or 15 minutes trying to kick start it, usually at 2am, and for the first few times his whole entourage would have a huge celebration every time he succeeded as he sat there and revved it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Megabook posted:

Just booked onto my first trackday, Mallory Park on 27/12. Does anyone have any tips for not freezing to death in one-piece leathers? I think it might take more than heated grips.

Thermal base layers? What do you wear under your suit presently? It’s England so I guess it will be cold and maybe wet. For what it’s worth I did a track day earlier this month in about 40F and was fine, no heated grips and perforated leather. You might just be generating more body heat compared to normal riding.

Just have some jacket/gloves/beanie to wear between sessions.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It really just depends on where you live. I ride my bicycle through central SF all the time. It seldom feels dangerous, and drivers are used to bicycles. There are some roads I would probably avoid on a bicycle whereas on a motorcycle I don’t worry about it. I wouldn’t be too keen on bicycling through suburbia, for example San Jose. That seems way more dangerous.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

On the plus side it seems like there are cool electric motorcycles compared with electric cars which are mostly crossovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The worst thing I’ve run into on the freeway so far was about 20 4x8 sheets of plywood, strewn across both lanes of the interchange. I stood my bike up and went for what seemed like the least amount stacked on each other. I’m glad it wasn’t also wet out.