Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Phy posted:

I'm fine with the name so long as it has brake-brakes, wheel-wheels and a seat-seat

The bikes I associate with the brand don't have much in the way of seat-seats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I also had battery problems today. I went for a ride and stopped for a few minutes just to look at the map. Bike wouldn't crank after, any attempt would just reset the electrical stuff. I had stopped at the bottom of a little hill so after failing repeatedly on flat ground I hiked the bike up hill for a bit and bump started it going down and got home that way. Once home the multimeter showed a good resting voltage but it dropped down to 7.5V or so while attempting to crank. The bike started fine when given jumper cables and charges like it should. New battery was gotten from the getting place. The old battery has no date information so no idea when the PO or PPO or whomever put it in there.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

PeterCat posted:

But yeah, alcohol, lack of gear, and probably lack of skill/experience are the common thread.

One snippet of statistics that stuck with me is that 43% of people killed on motorcycles last year in Sweden didn't have a motorcycle licence. There's no way of knowing what percentage of total-miles-ridden this category of people represent, but it has to be way way smaller than 43%.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Bicycle chat! I love bicycles.

This is my first motorized two wheeler which is awesome and everyone should know these things are awesome and more people should have one:

I've had it for about ten years. It was probably built in Denmark by a hung over blacksmith between 1964-1988 or so but there's no way of knowing. The frame is more or less original, so are the fenders and chain guard and some steering parts. The rest I've replaced. I motorised it seven years ago with 500 watts of direct drive front wheel fury and it was my main kid hauler and commuter for several years. Now I have a faster electrified commuting MTB civilised with fenders and panniers and a side stand and lights and all the rest as well as a motorcycle and the kids are getting big, so this thing is mainly used for taking kids to after school stuff, shopping errands, picnics, garbage runs and odd jobs like that. I dearly love this thing. It's beat to poo poo and in need of a (second) major overhaul but it's been fantastic to have this bike which has made my life and the life of my kids better in a bunch of ways and I probably couldn't sell it at anywhere near its value to me so I think I'm stuck with it.

Finger Prince posted:

Don't even get me started on the existence of presta valves.

What's wrong with presta valves? I hate dunlop but schrader is good and presta is good IMO. I can't pump my tires at the gas station, sure, but other than that?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Wow. I guess I've just been lucky. Never had any problems with my presta valves. I could rant for a while about how terrible dunlop valves are. Like how they leak, or need a special adapter to work with a proper pump that works with presta or shrader interchangeably. But worst is that they don't reliably play nice with pressure gauges so you're more or less stuck squeezing the tire and guessing like a caveman

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

This is my commuter e-bike build. l. All things considered I've probably spend about $1500 on it. A third was a used bike with decent components, another third for the electrical stuff. The last third was everything else. Bits to make it civilized (fenders, rack and pannier bags, good lights, a good U-lock, kickstand) as well as tools and fluids for servicing the shock fork, two sets of good tires (summer semi slicks and studs for the winter), an extra battery charger to keep at work, tools/spares to carry onboard and whatnot.

For my needs it's pretty ideal. My commute is about 12 miles one way on mostly very safe bike paths with no cars though with lots of potholes and such, as well as seasonal snow and ice. It's fast enough that I've been involontarily passed by a faster bike exactly once, fast enough that I mostly limit my top speed for fear of angering a cop or scaring other bikers, but not so fast that it's too much for tires, brakes or chassis to handle safely when I occasionally give it the beans. I don't have to pedal to get where I'm going but I always do, usually pretty hard because it's fun, keeps me warm and I need the exercise. Except lately I've been riding my motorcycle mostly, but winter is coming and then it's back to this thing.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I doubt swappable batteries are likely to become a thing for EVs, except maybe for trucks and buses. Solid state batteries (no liquid electrolyte) seem likely to become the next big thing. It seems like energy density compared to current batteries (heh) won't go up dramatically but from what I've read it's likely that it'll be possible to discharge and charge them much faster. Like maybe 4-6x as fast. If this becomes reality it would make it much less painful top up the battery mid-ride if nothing else. Also more fun because why not have absurdly powerful motors if you can discharge fast?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Martytoof posted:

Would that affect longevity and capacity decay? Not sure at all how batteries work or what affects that aspect of their degradation.

That's another promising property of solid state. Several times as many discharge cycles before significant decay seems likely.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Phy posted:

It's 25 below out, 34 with the wind chill, and snow blankets the ground (and is crushed into quasi-ice on the streets where the plows don't go)

I just saw a dude riding a dual sport with studded tires

I want to be that dude because this is my first winter as a rider and not riding really sucks. I tried offroad winter riding on a studded 125 dual sport once many many years ago. I fell more than once but it was lots of fun. Mostly hooning around on a frozen lake with a few inches of powder over the ice IIRC.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'm curious about the current generation of the Suzuki SV650. There's a 2011 SFV650 Gladius available locally to rent for the day, and pretty cheap too. Are those two bikes similar enough that going on a good long ride on the Gladius would give me a decent idea of what a modern SV is actually like?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Very informative answer, just what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Slavvy posted:

Mostly yeah, the ergos are a bit different (gladys puts your rear end closer to the ground and the seat sucks) but the engine is the same, chassis parts very very similar but slightly improved on the current bike, efi fueling is improved on the newer bikes.

Bro and I went on a multi-hour ride taking turns on the rented gladius yesterday. The seat sure sucks but there was a whole lot we both liked about the bike. Remarkably tippy at low speeds but in a fun way, and though it has more power than I know what to do with that engine is really nice. I've promised myself to put around 10.000km on the learner bike before I trade and that's what I'll do but yesterday did nothing to dissuade me from dreaming about an SV for my next ride.

Hard to say which is uglier.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Fluffs McCloud posted:

On the topic of bugs, is there any effective way to pre-treat a visor or actually clean it while in motion?

Sadly I don't think anyone has come up with anything better than those visor tear-offs F1 drivers use or those dirtbike goggles where you pull a roll of film across the lens when it gets muddy.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

busalover posted:

Does it have more grip on lovely roads, or what is the benefit of a three-wheels setup?

In many European countries you can ride (drive?) them with a car licence. Moto licences are expensive and time consuming. E: no I'm wrong the Niken doesn't fall under those trike rules since it's too narrow.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 9, 2022

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I live in the asphaltiest part of a country where off-roading is very much frowned upon and I would have to go pretty far to find even gravel roads. Yet something about a small dual sport appeals to me. Specifically I covet a CRF300L for some reason though I've never even seen one IRL.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Here in :sweden: bikes are subject to a similar periodic inspection as cars are. Longer time interval between checks and no brake dyno or emissions test or OBD scan though. Here's an auto-translation from one of the inspection firms that actually say what they check (most just tell you what you should check yourself before your appointment):

quote:

This is how a motorcycle inspection goes:
1. Frame.
We check that the frame is not rusty or damaged. Damage that is detected early reduces the risk of any part failing and jeopardizing your safety.

2. Wheel system.
We check that the wheels are secure and mounted correctly. The tires must have the correct tread depth - at least 1 mm on the entire tread and be free of damage. We also examine the motorcycle's swing arm and front fork to find any play, wear or leakage. We also spin up the front wheel to check that there are no noises in the motorcycle's wheel bearings.

3. Engine and drivetrain.
We look at the engine and check that it is not leaking fuel or oil. We also check that the motor is secure and that no other damage can occur. We also look at the drive package and its wear and tear, the function of the gearbox and clutch, etc.

4. Braking system.
We check the components that make up the brake system. Retardation is checked during test driving, where we do an actual braking to see its function. We also check whether the brakes are pulsating and do a pressure check on them. If the motorcycle is equipped with an ABS system, the components for ABS are checked.

5. Control system.
Among other things, we look at the motorcycle's steering bearing and the risk of crushing damage in the event of full steering travel.

6. Bodywork.
We check that there are no sharp edges and that the vehicle is equipped according to the applicable requirements.

7. Lighting and communication.
Reflectors, rear-view mirrors and all other lighting that is important for traffic safety are checked, for example blinkers, brake lights and headlights.
For three- and four-wheeled motorcycles, there must be a functioning warning triangle that can be mounted. Please install before the inspection.

8. Instrumentation.
We check that the speedometer and control lights for eg high beam and blinkers are working. If the motorcycle is equipped with an ABS system, the warning light is checked for this.

9. Miscellaneous.
We test drive the motorcycle to get an overall overview of the vehicle, in order to then make a final assessment. If there is suspicion that the vehicle emits too much noise, a noise test is performed on the motorcycle.
If your motorcycle has a windshield, the windshield wipers and washers are checked - make sure you have filled up washer fluid before the inspection.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Lol indeed. That must be there for some such equipped quad abomination that's legally viewed as a motorcycle because some laws are stupid.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think the most impressive part of your statement is that you have a two wheel drive electric bike???
So do I, in a fashion. An old-timey steel framed bakfiets that I put an electric hub motor in, way up front. My legs power the rear in the normal fashion. Front motor ebikes are still fairly common in the low end of the market and while suboptimal they work great as long as the motors aren't too powerful or heavy. What is essentially FWD is great in certain tricky snowy/icy conditions and sitting on the same type of tires my bakfiets is more course stable than my e-mtb when it's like that. Since the geometries and everything else apart from both being two wheeler ebikes are so different it's very much comparing apples with oranges though.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
re: capacitors, more than likely you'll discharge most of what you have in them back into the motor again rather than into the batteries I'd think

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Interesting. Do real electric motorcycles do any kind of rheostatic braking when the bat is full? Like they could dump current into a low impedence heating coil and cool it.

Doubtful. I actually contemplated doing just that on my e-bakfiets. The problem I was trying to solve was my mechanical brakes overheating on hill descents when loaded heavily. Turned out the cheaper, easier and more compact option was to buy a new speed controller with regen support and dump the energy into the battery instead. It's only a 500W motor so braking power is equally limited but it's enough to spare the discs - they are normally only needed for emergencies and shedding the last little bit of speed before coming to a complete stop. As for overcharging the batteries by regen I think that would only be a real world problem if you start your ride at high elevation with the battery completely full - most good EVs avoid charging to the actual 100% capacity since you get way more life out of LiPos if you limit your charge to less, ideally around 80% or so.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
If i were to configure an electric rwd moto as I pleased I'd put a twist throttle and front brake on the right like normal. On the left I'd put a rear brake handle and also a thumb "throttle" to modulate the regen. I'd do gently caress all with my feet.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Or, we're talking like pedal bikes?

Here in northern Eurostan pedal bikes universally have the front brake on the left side. When I started learnign to ride motos I reconfigured all my bicycles thinking I would avoid confusion. In reality I probably just caused more confusion for myself but after a year and a half I have finally learned to ride bicycles with front brake right. It was never a problem finding the brake on a moto even as a meganoob. The brain is all like "hey new skill lets learn this" but re-learning an old ingrained skill is hard.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Russian Bear posted:

What’s the punishment for riding without a license in Sweden?

My aunt and uncle were saying that the driving school is a bit of a racket, so if you go to take your test without doing the school (the instructor asks you I guess), you are unlikely to pass because your judged a lot harder and they want you to pay for the classes. What’s your take on that?

As for the first you're likely to get away with a fine first time, prison up to a year is possible though, also vehicle forfeiture.

As for the second I've heard the same but can't speak for the truth of it. I took my exam ride last year in a group of eight riders, five of which obviously came from a riding school. Four people passed that day and two of those had practiced private only. I think it's probably more like the examiner might go for a more comprehensive traffic exam ride/drive with a candidate who hasn't been through a school since it's less certain what they've been taught privately while a student a school (previously known and well regarded by the examiner) deems ready for exam is very likely to have shown passable skills previously. A longer exam gives more opportunities to mess up so it's not entirely fair but that's my guess of what's going on rather than actual corruption. There might be some of that going on as well of course.

Back when I was a student driver my parents taught me some bad things and failed to teach me other things I needed to know. A few sessions with a pro straightened me out. Same with the much more recent moto riding practice. Pros tend to get good at their job while amateur instructors are way more hit or miss.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

opengl128 posted:

I'm tempted to try something like this, even if it takes a few hundred pumps better than nothing if it's all I have room for right?
I'd say definitely yes. Muscle powered pumps are great, even if its a chore to pump a bunch they do get the job done and that's all that really matters when it matters. And it's not like small compressors are real fast in comparison or anything.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Slavvy posted:

My money being on battery technology improving such that it's possible to make an electric bike that's as light or lighter than a petrol one, at that point we could see some interesting developments on the chassis front because electric architecture gives more freedom of layout than petrol.

Unless some new chemistry comes out of nowhere, I think the best we can reasonably hope for is solid state lithium batteries in about five years maybe. As I understand them the energy density isn't hugely improved but they can charge and discharge much faster than current consumer tech. This brings the promise of huge current draw from small and light battery packs. Likely very entertaining but with lovely range, on the other hand theoretically capable of very quick charging compared to today so if the infrastructure is there maybe not completely useless for anything other than being a toy.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Mail comes either by bicycle or this abomination

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As a routine box-hauler, I want one of these to
Give my goldwing a break from the job

I've never ridden one but the flatbed moped trike seems a perfectly practical vehicle. When I was a kid they were pretty common. My school janitor had one, you'd see municipal gardeners zoom around with lawnmovers and other tools on them and so on. Also the classic ones look kind of cool.

Still, being a tadpole trike with a high center of gravity they don't go fast safely, but urban mail carriers don't need high speed. These days their role is being replaced by all sorts of electric cargo bicycle contraptions and I rarely see them apart from the local mail woman. I want there to exist a highway capable two wheeler long and narrow cargo moto, bakfiets style, but it doesn't seem to be a thing - probably for good reasons.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Strife posted:

I spend most of the winter proselytizing to people about the importance of winter tires. Even though I have a 4wd vehicle, I still put winter tires on it because this is massachusetts, and your front wheel drive mazda is worth exactly dick-all when the highway is covered in what essentially amounts to astroglide for 3 months of the year.
drat straight. 4wd has marginal effect on winter driving safety at best. Steering and braking are the really important features on a motor vehicle and that's all about the tires (some skill helps too sometimes I guess or lacking that computer wizardry). I've lived in snowy hellholes almost all my life, never owned a 4wd vehicle or felt like I needed one but you better believe I invest in top tier winter tires and keep them fresh. My limited experience with all-seasons is that they're kind of poo poo in all conditions compared to real summer/winter tires.

Motorcycle related: does anyone but me find that the ground clearance on the 3rd gen SV650 is too low? I touched exhaust bits to ground while going over a temporary rather aggressive speed hump in a construction zone lately and I didn't like it. Also scraped a kerb.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I've swapped hands exactly once, when riding one of those backward brain bicycles. It worked but it felt very unsafe.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
The first snow is falling. I won't accept winter hiatus until the road salt is spread but this feels like the end. Feels bad 😞

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Worth it IMO. I got a (slightly salty) ride in on solstice day, followed by a cold and thorough bike cleaning session. Maybe it's just me being a newbie but I was jonesing pretty hard after a month of no riding, now it feels okay. Imma doit again if there's more weather windows combined with free time before spring.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Strife posted:

I've been riding motorcycles for about 11 years now and still, if I go more than 40 days without riding I fear I may die.
I don't know if this is good or bad information honestly.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

an extra cheapo “salt bike”
This might have to be the solution. Road conditions where I live are very rarely real snow/ice conditions where aggressive ice tires would shine, but something light and cheap with wheel dimensions where road studded tires are available is maybe in my future. Maybe.

Supradog posted:

helmet with heated visor. This is a must have. Any prolonged riding in near freezing or below must have this.
I can believe it. Riding near freezing it's a constant struggle to keep my normal pin lock visor from fogging up. The double pane ski goggles I wear for winter e-biking work much better in this regard but I sometimes still have to watch my exhalation to keep fog away from the outside.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

T Zero posted:

You guys haven't been riding all winter? You guys aren't *driving* are you?
Mostly e-bikes on studded tires for me since driving is boring and depressing.

I commuted by moto once last week. Decent grip and all but dark when I left, dark when I came back, wet and slightly salty so I spent a while washing the bike before putting it away again. It kind of sucked honestly but still it scratched the itch and brought some calm to the soul which is what I wanted I guess.

Also been watching these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5zrICN5eIo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBMUyW31a7k

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'm also in a similar situation. I'm about to sell my learner bike. I have only a faint idea what I should ask for it. It's a 2016 Honda CBR300R with ABS, in good shape, about 15 000 km on the clock. I paid 2.8 kiloEuros for it two years and 10 000 km ago and I sort of think I can get at least as much when I sell, probably a bit more. How much more? No idea. There's so few of these bikes on the market that I don't know what a reasonable asking price would be. Not in any hurry to sell so I guess I'll start out at 3.5 and work my way down if there aren't any takers.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
As long as wheels come in even numbers it is acceptable but two is superior for fun. Odd number of wheels=abomination I haven't thought this through fully. What about sidecars? Maybe they're an abomination too but a fun one?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Snow is forecast for this weekend here, mostly freezing temps again for the coming week and more. I got a few work commutes by moto this week though. I've been ever so gingerly riding around on an unfamiliar and to me heavy and powerful bike on cold, dirty gravel strewn asphalt, mostly wet. Yesterday morning I got to do a single ride to work on dry roads in sunshine with a single opportunity to give it some proper beans safely, it was well worth it even if the ride home was in a very cold and heavy rain. As someone used to a very mild mannered 30hp of a 300cc learner bike the punchy sv650 engine has got me giggling inside my helmet. To me it feels like a rocket ship, I'm so looking forward to ride this bike more.

Oh well, I'm back to e-bikes on studded tires for a while yet. I got my antique bakfiets back in working order after an extensive rebuild that took way too long which kind of rules. Two wheels good, four wheels bad.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I bought this cargobike (an SCO Long John, built probably in the 1960's-80's maybe?) some 12 years ago. Back then the market for these things was tiny and I couldn't afford a Bullit (also without e-assist mind you) which was the only other option so Long John it had to be. The bike was already old when I bought it but in good condition since it had been sitting a lot indoors. Since it became mine it's been living outside 99% of the time so yeah storage is a problem. Thus the recent rebuild. This time I did my very best for rust and rot proofing so it should last well over a decade until it needs major love again I hope.

As for cost I bought it in its mostly original form for €500, but I've thrown lots of parts and labor on it over the years for upgrades (gears, a box to replace the original basket, e-assist, hardwired lights, disc brakes, in that order). Total cost is not even close to €6000, but maybe a third of that or so if I don't count worn out stuff/repairs - battery packs, geared hubs and tires aren't free etc. It's been a great bike, when the kids were small enough to ride double in the box and needed to be taken everywhere it was absolutely the perfect everyday vehicle. Now they're big enough to move around on their own and I can only squeeze in one of them in any kind of comfort so I don't give that many rides anymore. I could absolutely make do with a bike trailer instead now, but it's still a great vehicle for semi-local errands involving medium hauling. I've got a dedicated commuter e-bike since a couple of years so I don't ride it the 18km to work that often anymore either. It's mostly a homebuild at this point so I probably couldn't sell it for anything close to what it's worth to me so I'm keeping it, hopefully passing it on to one of the kids eventually.

As for steering it's way easier than you'd think. There's a simple rod linkage connecting the handlebar to the fork running under the box. It takes about two minutes for a novice to re-wire their brain and figure out how to ride it, after that it feels mostly like any other bicycle.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'm bad at keeping my vehicles clean, but I've ordered a small 110 bar pressure washer that should arrive tomorrow. I got it mostly for the patio and the balcony so I don't have to borrow bro's overpowered and heavy unit every spring, also for trying hosing off my winter commuter e-bike when it's encrusted in road salt and lube, but hopefully it proves useful on the moto as well.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yeah I'll be careful. I figure it'll be good for wheels and such but maybe not worth the hassle of setting it up. Maybe I'll just do what bro does and get one of them wet brushes that hook up straight to the garden hose instead. I'm pretty sure the pressure washer comes with such a brush, but I don't see how high water pressure is useful in that situation what with all the bristles in the way. It has a foam applicator for sure and I've never used one of those either. I'll just have to see if any of these things are any good.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
My new bike has a way more distinct feel to the turn signal cancel button than the old bike so my compulsion to press it four times after every signalled turn seems to be going away. Still, a function I would appreciate is if the bike paired with the helmet over bluetooth for the only purpose of playing the ticking sound when the blinkers are blinking, like in a car. Okay maybe also yell "temperature!" or "oil pressure!" at me if there's ever a problem with those because why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Before the frozen hellhole I call home joined the EU and eventually harmonized with their traffic rules, used to be that all vehicles had their low beams and rear lights on all the time when operating and there was no way to turn them off whether day or night, rain or shine. It was a sensible system that worked just fine.