Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Do big touring fairings make it easier to ride in the cold? Is there a big enough difference vs a naked bike that you can substantially extend your riding season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

A good balaclava and neck gaiter are all I need to extend the riding season. I think what's even more important for comfort when riding in the cold is the warming the hands. Heated grips help a lot but barkbusters would be the icing on the cake.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

FBS posted:

Do big touring fairings make it easier to ride in the cold? Is there a big enough difference vs a naked bike that you can substantially extend your riding season?

I imagine so. During morning commutes, between my CBR1000RR and my StreetTriple R, there was a big difference in how cold my hands got. The sport bike fairing kept a lot of wind off my hands. You might be able to close that gap with heated grips and better gloves though.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
When it comes to fairings, I've never had one better at keeping me warm and dry than the Yamaha XJ Turbo. I have no idea why, it doesn't look like it'd do much.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've ridden bikes with perspex sails that did nothing, I've ridden bikes with carefully shaped headlights that had a huge effect. Another thing with a dizzying number of variables that are hard to control for.

One of those adv dentist magazines needs to do a wind tunnel test on every possible grampa screen and grampa bike permutation to get to the bottom of this.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FBS posted:

Yes, absolutely. Having simultaneously owned an SV650 and a Goldwing, the Goldwing was much easier to take way later into the season. Between the windshield keeping wind off your head and torso, and the fairing keeping it off your lower body, you get cold much more slowly

I took my old Goldwing from Milwaukee to Chicago last October in 40 degree F weather and it was no big deal. You still have to dress the part, naturally, and I had bar mitts on to keep my hands warm, but it was no biggie to be riding for an hour or more straight in temps that were just above freezing.

Of course the opposite is true as well, the Goldwing was much hotter in the summer, whereas the SV blasted you with air all the time

My argument is that its easier to be hot on a motorcycle than cold. When you're cold, your body sort of stops working and your reaction time goes to poo poo. When you're hot, you're sweaty and annoyed but thats about it, so anything you can do to stave off the cold is for the best

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 7, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance smells like

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FBS posted:

Yes, but maybe not as much as you'd think. They make more of a difference in keeping you dry in the rain than they do keeping you warm in the cold.

Hand guards + heated grips make a big difference, bar mitts + heated grips more so. Add a heated jacket liner and you could ride into the 30s comfortably on a naked bike without the need for head-to-toe super bulky insulated gear. Get a helmet with an electric shield (think snowmobile helmet) b/c a Pinlock won't be able to keep up.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

heated faceshield + gloves is what made 20° riding awful into very fun for me. jacket was just gravy on top

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
On the topic of bugs, I've never gotten more than one at a time (though having an entire dragonfly get through the gap in my visor was an experience), but my cousin in Florida told me a story once about going 100 down the highway on her Ninja. Suddenly she rode directly through a flock (cloud? swarm?) of butterflies. Sadly she didn't get a picture of the aftermath, but she said it was the most beautifully disgusting thing she'd ever encountered. Her whole torso was covered in a multicolored kaleidoscope of disaster.

Holy poo poo!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I was watching some youtube videos about the Yamaha Niken and someone in the comments said, "This is the bike the IT manager at work rides" and I've never felt more called out.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Does it have more grip on lovely roads, or what is the benefit of a three-wheels setup?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

busalover posted:

Does it have more grip on lovely roads, or what is the benefit of a three-wheels setup?

In many European countries you can ride (drive?) them with a car licence. Moto licences are expensive and time consuming. E: no I'm wrong the Niken doesn't fall under those trike rules since it's too narrow.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 9, 2022

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

busalover posted:

You pretty much nailed it. Here’s two British blokes going on about it. https://youtu.be/jEAEI3VEReQ

And fort nine hypothesizes that it’s a tech research for further development https://youtu.be/pLsKnCd3Dkg

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

All that being said, Nikens still look very stupid.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The niken is one of those bikes that long after it’s been discontinued, we’ll all wish we would have appreciated it when it was current.

Like the Honda Gyro

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've ridden a gyro and I certainly hope the niken is better than that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Right? Something better than a Gyro? Unbelievable

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

had a great day on the moto today.

rode to costco with just a backpack. filled up my tank and then filled up my backpack with a big thing of tide cold water detergent, 2 pounds of coffee beans, and a liter of sauce. pretty much at capacity.

took the long way home, tons of weird side roads. it was so good. almost no traffic. i was thinking to myself "this is why i bough this thing" the whole time.

charging system is still hosed.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

thinking about this as well as V-Stroms for my next bike

what do you guys think???

quote:

2008 Buell 1125R Anniversary Edition. 15,500km, New Interstate battery, new brakes. Could use a front tire soon. Fuel injected and liquid cooled, lots of power, not for beginners. Test rides with cash in my hand. Insured until end of the weekend. Rebuilt (new frame). Local Harley dealer still services Buells. OBO, just no time to ride. No trades or low balls please. Cheer
$4200 CAD

im not buying a buell

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 10, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Rebuilt (new frame)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s telling when you have to mention you’ve managed to find a dealer that will still touch the bike.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I wonder if that new frame (and wheels) came off a bike that had sat in the sun its entire life, or if this guy painted them that shade of blue because he thought it'd be cool to ride something that looked like a rolling bruise

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I just replaced the car's "Interstate" brand battery under Costco warranty last week, 2 years old and leaking badly out the caps. I assume this kind of thing can happen to all batteries so I'm still on the fence regarding whether a cheap battery + warranty is a good thing, but not a brand I'd namedrop (the warranty is not transferrable afaik).

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

is that an 8 piston caliper?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

I wonder if that new frame (and wheels) came off a bike that had sat in the sun its entire life, or if this guy painted them that shade of blue because he thought it'd be cool to ride something that looked like a rolling bruise

Those colors are completely stock. 1125 was peak Buell weirdness.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Toe Rag posted:

is that an 8 piston caliper?

Oh, you gonna stop

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Deeters posted:

What do you mean it's ugly?? Function is it's own form!! They'll buy it and they'll love it *stoppies straight into liquidation*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buell was an engineer unable to iterate.

Ztl brakes didn’t work out the first time? Maybe they will the second time, or the third, or the fourth, maybe you can install them on the trucks that come to empty the warehouse after it gets sold for scrap to an Indian firm that only wants the name.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's an engineer in love with his ideas, most engineers are in love with solving problems. The ones that love their ideas usually go to work for a German firm, Erik somehow slipped through the cracks.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

All that being said, Nikens still look very stupid.

Hell same.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Deeters posted:

:barf:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Deeters posted:

Aesthetically, it's got a bit of Honda CBF-ness about it (which isn't a good thing).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

a buddy of mine had an 1125 CR, the best thing I can say about it was that it wasnt terrible?

I owned a Bandit 1200 at the time, and it wasn't the head and shoulders above the Bandit that it should have been, given their age difference.

I never had to give him a ride home on the back of the Bandit, but it did warp its rotors constantly

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

If it was about same as a Bandit, it was terrible.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

you hush :colbert:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My future bike garage:

Yamaha Niken GT
Honda NM4
Honda DN-01

What other nerd bikes can I add?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

What's the self-stabilising Honda concept bike called?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Coredump posted:

My future bike garage:

Yamaha Niken GT
Honda NM4
Honda DN-01

What other nerd bikes can I add?

BMW C1

e: lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I've seen those hondas before, but i thought you sat way lower, almost 'in' them, face almost level with the wind shield. Bit disappointed.