Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Is there anyway to get my Supercard DSTWO to sleep properly in my DS lite? If I close the Lite, the power light flashes with the speakers making a noise at well like a few times a second. If I turn up the volume it becomes clear its a fragment of game music, but not even turning it all the way down kills the sound completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Try reinstalling the EOS. It slept fine for me in my Lite before I got my 3DS.

Tried that already, drat. I could swear it didn't do this last year.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Be Depressive posted:

I wouldn't really use sleep with the Supercard anyway - it still draws about the same amount of power from your system as it does when you're not sleeping - so your battery is still being drained in sleep mode. I have gotten in the habit of just using the real-time save and turning the system off instead.

I just want to be able to close the DS without having a constant annoying sound

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xenomrph posted:

The readme for Lameboy says:

I don't know what that means. How do I patch it? WHY do I have to patch it? Why couldn't they have just included it in a regular file structure like normal people?
I went to the website listed above and it's all 4 years out of date and "no longer maintained".

All homebrew that wanted to access the file system needed DLDI patches back in the day. Modern cards like the DStwo and CycloDS etc patch it for you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xenomrph posted:

So the file it gives me is lameboy.nds or something like that - do I put that in the main directory? And then make a sub-directory for games and whatever?

Yes. You don't even need a new directory, you could just dump your .gb and .gbc files into the root directory along with all of your .nds programs and it would merely be cluttered.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TomSellek posted:

Is there a flash cart that will play GBA/GBC and will do save states? I don't care if it does DS my brother already has a DS flash cart but wants one to play old gameboy stuff for christmas.

All DS flash carts can run the Lameboy GB/GBC emulator.

Pretty much any DS flash cart in conjunction with an Ez-Flash 3-in-1 cart for the gba slot can run GBA game dumps on a DS or DS lite.

The Supercard DSTWO can emulate the GBA but you will have sound going weird or the video getting skippy in certain games at certain times.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kalibar posted:

But I was honestly, legitimately surprised to see that there's still no way to just purchase the drat games digitally and install them to the internal memory (re-releases and lesser-quality titles excepted). So I guess my ideal 3DS-purchasing scenario involves getting the system, some physical game cards that are going to sit on my shelf, and backups of those games on some hypothetical future flashcart.

The PS Vita has that BUT you need to buy special proprietary memory cards at ridiculous prices. As in, the system comes without onboard user storage, and you'd need to buy:
- 4 GB at $24.99 or
- 8 GB at $39.99 or
- 16 GB at $69.99 or finally
- 32 GB at $119.99

Also, with the 3DS, they ship with 256 MB of internal storage that's mostly for DSiware and a 2 GB SD card. 3DS games are supposed to be between 512 MB and 2 GB currently, so for more than a few games downloaded you'd need to go the Vita route and start requiring people to buy bigger SD cards, although those at least don't have huge markup.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hunter x az posted:

What's the best, easiest to buy Flash Cart that will work on a 3DS? RealHotStuff doesn't carry the SuperTwo apparently.

It's called the DSTwo unless you meant some other card: http://realhotstuff.com/supercard-dstwo-p-499.html

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jet Ready Go posted:

I don't know if this is the wrong place to ask, but about the 3DS homebrew scene.

I bought an R4i Gold that plays fine on my 3DS and did a google search for 3DS homebrew but all I get are bullshit recursive websites that all link to each other talking about how Homebrew is available but absolutely none of the links they link to says ANYTHING else other than "Well yeh, check out this homebrew site" and then you go to THAT site and it links to ANOTHER homebrew site ad nauseum until you finally end back up at the very first site you went to.

Long story short.. is there actually a homebrew scene or is it just "DS homebrew running on the 3DS!!!" sort of deal for now?

I'm not interested in ports of old games as much I am of other interesting stuff that enhances the usability of the 3DS.

There is no 3DS homebrew yet. Sorry, but it's as simple as that - noone's been able to run arbitrary code on unmodified 3DSes yet.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Neito posted:

A fully updated AceKard lets you (for now), but you need a DS/DSLite to update it to be able to.

Are there any risks to running a Flash Cart on my 3DS? I'd like to be able to sell it to my little brother or something for some cheap coin.

A really bad one could have faulty circuitry/wiring in it that would damage the device,but that's not likely.

If you're thinking of the thing where Nintendo supposedly said they were going to brick devices, that was just them covering their rear end after certain Wii firmware updates meant to block homebrew accidentally broke the consoles.

Sort of a "no we totally meant to do that uh don't say it was bug!" thing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It is very likely that they would need brand new flashcart designs in order to be able to run things in 3DS mode.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Milkman posted:

Is the GBA emulator on the DSTwo (on a DSi) any good or is it still better to get a Lite and the 3-in-1?

Also what about the SNES emulator? Sorry I haven't messed around with this stuff in years and had the urge to pick up a DS again now they're dirt cheap and tinker with it.

The DSTWO GBA emulator will still skip frames and not always have accurate sound, while putting in a 3-in-1 will mean perfect play outside of the lack of game link port.

There have never and will never be a really decent SNES emulator for the DS, primarily because the screen is so low res, and neither the console nor flashcarts with their own cpus (like dstwo) are really powerful enough for smooth emulation.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lizard Wizard posted:

I, too, am considering getting a card that might work with my 3DS. Is there any truth to these rumors of Nintendo remotely bricking 3DSes or is that a bunch of :tinfoil:?

What the clause actually means is "if we break your system while you're using a third party unauthorized cards, you can't sue us".

Remember when they released that update for the Wii that was supposed to block homebrew, but actually just hosed up a bunch of Wii systems so that they couldn't boot? This is Nintendo covering their rear end if their 3DS updates do that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

monkeyboydc posted:

So, I can't seem to find any consistent answers on the internet since there are so many drat R4 carts these days. I have the original, basic R4. Just got a 3DS today and tried to plug it in - doesn't appear on the system menu. Did I screw myself into having to buy a new flash card? >:(

If I must, I will. I'm just so cheeeeeap. Hoping that there's a way to upgrade it so it'll work.

Also, my apologies if this has been asked a thousand times before. I checked the OP and the last few pages and didn't see anything.

Yes, the R4 won't even work on a DSi, much less the 3DS. Part of the reason you've had trouble finding answers is that there's 66 R4 clones out there, all with different abilities and some cards that get the R4 label slapped on them are 3DS enabled. But the original is not.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Len posted:

Is there a way to pull my Last Specter save from the cart or do I just need to start over?

You should be able to use this http://neetgamer.com/guides/back-up-your-nintendo-ds-save-games/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CuddlyZombie posted:

Also, can the GBA emulator play GBC games as well? This is mondo important.

Just use Lameboy for GB and GBC games http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/emulators/download-lameboy-ds-012-f5597.html

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ForbiddenWonder posted:

where's the best place to buy a supercard DStwo? all the sites i've checked are slightly sketchy..

http://www.realhotstuff.hk/Supercard-DSTWO_p_25.html and http://www.realhotstuff.com/-c-125_139.html

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Karthe posted:

Has Nintendo made good on their threat to blacklist any 3DS that's used a flashcart? I just picked up a 3DS XL today and am curious if it's worth the risk to pick up an updated flashcart and maybe get my new console banned at some point in the future. The last one I purchased was an R4 for my DS, so I'm really out of the loop with all of this stuff.

Their "threat" is just them covering their rear end for warranty purposes and stuff if a future firmware update + flashcart combo ever causes 3DSes to get permanently damaged.

It's them spinning it as a "it's not a bug, it's a feature" thing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chinook posted:

In any case, the 3 in 1 doesn't fit inside the SP. What does?

The simplest way:
http://www.realhotstuff.com/EZ-Flash-3-in-1-Expansion-Pack-GBA-size--Out-of-Stock_p_38.html

Though they appear to be out of stock at the moment

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

take_it_slow posted:

Dude already has this; it would be a waste to buy a new one for the ¢30 of plastic casing.

I said simplest, not cheapest.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Saoshyant posted:

A friend's going to give me his trusty old EZ Flash 5. I remember this being a really good card back in the day from hearsay. While the 3DS is out of the question, I'm wondering if it's still possible to update it to work on a DSi. The last update I did to my XL was last year to download that free Zelda Four Swords game.

EZFlash V has no support for running on the DSi. It'll only successfully boot on an original DS or a Lite.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If you're willing to shell out money to get save games off pretty much every DS/DSi game, then get one of these http://www.hkems.com/product/nintendo/0907.htm

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Krinkle posted:

2/3 times when I boot up it doesn't recognize the dstwo supercard and says there's nothing plugged in. Do I have a bad chip, do they all do this, or could it just be a SD card problem?

This is usually caused by either the SD card or the cartridge being a bit loose in their respective slots.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pegnose Pete posted:

I have a SCDStwo and it works great for DS games, I have no problems updating it etc.
But has anyone found a better way to emulate GBA games on it?

The only thing I can think of is check that you have the latest version of the GBA plugin. I'm assuming you have a DSi or 3DS so you can't buy a gba slot card that would allow you to copy GBA games to it and play them "native" on DS/DS Lite.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Keito posted:

DSTWO works fine on the 3DS, but SNES and GBA emulation isn't very good. Many games run slow and/or with graphic glitches and crackling audio. The emulators won't run any worse on a 3DS than a DSi, though.

For what it's worth, I thought emulation was pretty bad on the PSP too. Maybe I'm just being picky while others are having fun playing games.

It's pretty amazing how well SNES emulation works considering the rather weak hardware in the PSP and DSTWO for running them.

But yeah, they do still kind of suck. These days I use my phone with a clamp-on gamepad accessory for SNES emulation and it works great so I don't even need to bother with them

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

lol internet. posted:

The SNES emulation seems pretty poor for DSTWO. Any alternatives other then CATFS?

Also, anyway to run CPS2 games on DSTWO?

There isn't really a chance of good emulation of either of those on a DS or even cartridges with extra CPUs like the DSTWO. You just need a lot more processing power then you can get out of those.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kharmakazy posted:

I don't suppose any such thing exists for the r4 gold I'm rockin?

Absolutely not, it relies on the DSTWO's extra processor.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Atlas Hugged posted:

Does saving games in the GBA emulator on the DSTwo not really work well for other people? I don't mean using save states, I mean using the built in save function in the game.

poo poo, I had this problem before and I'm not exactly sure on the solution, but I did get it fixed eventually.

I think what I did was have something else generate new blank save files for each game, and that caused the saving to be reliable. Also there might be something wrong with your MicroSD card, and a different one might fix it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does the ezflash 3 in 1 let you play gba games with the ds's built in ability to play gba games or does it still require an emulator?

The EZ Flash 3 in 1 essentially acts a single-game flashcart when you put a GBA game on it, so no emulation. As mentioned before, if you get the GBA-cart sized one instead of the DS Lite slot sized one, you can even just put a game on it and play it directly on any GBA system.

Saoshyant posted:

It plays them with the hardware. Those things have the most rubbish battery, though.

The oldest one I have I got something like 4 or 5 years ago and it still saves just fine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've been playing with dsdoom and I have it working, but I can't figure out how to choose wad files. I have both doom.wad and doom2.wad in the directory and it just auto loads doom2.wad

How do I get around this? I guess I could have two separate copies of dsdoom, each with a single wad file, but that seems counterintuitive.

With this additional menu system: http://devkitpro.org/wiki/Homebrew_Menu

You can then create a plain text file, rename it to whatever.argv and p ut in console commands like this to it:

dsdoom.nds -iwad doom2.wad -file KDiP.wad -save KDiP

Which allows you to have menu options in the homebrew menu, with different IWADS (eg tnt, plutonia, doom, doom2) and also you could have it load player-made maps. For just choosing between doom 1 and doom 2, you'd just have two files containing these respectively:

dsdoom.nds -iwad doom.wad -save doom1

dsdoom.nds -iwad doom2.wad -save doom2

The DSDoom guy should have just built in his own menu thing, but apparently he couldn't be bothered. So you have to do this way instead.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Circle Nine posted:

If I plan on getting a DS and a DSTwo card, mainly for NES/SNES emulation, is it worth getting the DSi XL for the larger screen, or is getting a DSLite an entirely fine option?

You won't have a good time with SNES emulation on either (it's slow AND the screen res makes for annoying resolution crop or squishing). NES stuff is also kinda annoying to deal with because of the low res.

However either one would work great for Game Boy, Atari 2600, Game Gear, Lynx etc emulation. And if you get a DS Lite, you can buy an EZ Flash V 3-in-1 sized for the GBA slot that'lll let you run GBA games natively as well as be usable as extra RAM for homebrew like the Quake and Quake 2 ports.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

G-Prime posted:

Only partially correct. The DSTwo has an on-cart coprocessor that does GBA emulation and a MUCH better job of SNES emulation than other flash carts.

The GBA emulation is still poo poo in comparison to the regular GBA support of the Lite (I shouldn't get slowdown playing Chu Chu Rocket and Advance Wars of all things!), and the SNES emulation is still awful. Believe me I've tried it, I've had a DSTWO since they were brand new and have even kept up with the emulator plugin updates.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Oh ugggggh. I was hoping we were past those days.

Hey if people are able to do that, it'll also mean we're getting close to creating real homebrew stuff again, even if it has to be accessed through the shell of a game or something.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Len posted:

So the same thing as ds flashcarts? There hasn't been homebrew posted in this thread in literal years. And the OP is almost devoid of anything homebrew related.

That's more because a lot of DS homebrew stopped being useful considering the limited power of the thing and limited resolution. There will be worthwhile homebrew and ports on the 3DS for a while once development is able to really ramp up, especially with the 3D screen stuff and the fact the system isn't restricted to assy old wifi standards.

Like, no one since 2011 or so has needed a browser running in 8 MB of ram (with expansion pack) and two 256x192 screens for browsing the internet, you know?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FlyingCheese posted:

Oh nice, I figured the big N wouldn't allow games to be written to the SD card for piracy reasons, only to be used for music or something. That is very good to hear.

Well, only certain games are available for sale digitally still, but that's as much up to publishers being weird as Nintendo.

Normal 3DS cartridges hold between 1 GB and 3 GB of data, the 3DS cartridge format is capable of holding up to 8 GB of data without revisions to the hardware being needed. So, a 32 GB card, which you can get these days quite cheap, can easily hold 16 or so normal games as well as a bunch of smaller download only titles.

Sidebar here but: Remember the PSP using UMDs? Those only held 1.8 GB and required that whole clunky motor setup. :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Saoshyant posted:

Wasn't there talk it also allowed to get rid of that pesky region locking?

Yeah the pirate carts already allow you to evade that, since breaking the protection against pirated games also breaks region locking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Saoshyant posted:

But I don't want a pirate cart -- I want to import games and play them. I have been curious about that smealum custom firmware because I heard it would get rid of the region locking, but that doesn't seem to be the case? I was asking about that specifically since that smealum guy seems to contradict himself when he talks on Twitter about what the firmware can and can't do.

If the homebrew firmware works on the same basis as the pirate carts(which it probably will, as it's allowing unsigned code), then yes region protection will be neutralized. That's all I'm saying.

• Locked thread