Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Wheany posted:

Opera 12 was getting a bit laggy, so I looked at its information in process explorer. It was using 7.2 GB of ram. Then again, I had started it on 12th August. I use Firefox as my other constantly running browser and it has crashed innumerably many times in the same span.

Daaang! Mine usually starts doing weird poo poo around 4 GB (takes about a month to hit, usually) and I assumed it was because the binary was compiled with a 4 GB limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Mithaldu posted:

Same here. Maybe they changed something with the SSL on those sheets.

Oh poo poo, this is not good. Logging in is broken as well:

12 only supports old, generally-considered-broken TLS implementations, so it's going to get harder and harder to use as everyone gets better about/at encrypting everything. The only solution I can think of is connecting through a proxy that speaks the new TLS suites to the world and the old ones to Opera, which is basically MITMing yourself :(

Can Opera use a proxy that's not set up as the web proxy for the whole system? This is really only feasible if only Opera 12 (and any other old un-patched software) can be shunted through the proxy or if the proxy can silently pass through newer implementations because modern browsers will probably start throwing up error pages for outdated crypto pretty soon.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Mithaldu posted:

See thread title. :)

Hah, fair enough.

quote:

You can actually switch proxy usage on/off per *site* (though not which proxy).

Do you know any proxy software that can be used to handle SSL types Opera doesn't do?

Nope, sorry. Just a thing I've been thinking about because of the headlong rush into https everyone's been on: what happens to all this legacy stuff people still use? I don't think it'd be all that hard to get a simple passthrough proxy working on Windows, but working properly without making the user even less secure is a whole 'nother thing.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Mithaldu posted:

I think as long as i only run it on my local machine, security is not an isue. I poked stackoverflow to see if maybe something falls out. :haw:

As long as it's only local, only responds to local traffic, only Opera uses it to 'upgrade' its security and the proxy doesn't have an even more broken TLS implementation*, yeah. Might be moot now that .18 is out, which is blowing my loving mind. I half expected it to be a stealth installer for Chropera

*I can easily imagine a poorly written proxy silently failing to do TLS to the server and falling back to plaintext while still presenting the client a TLS connection, for example. People are real loving stupid sometimes.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

At least they're trying to differentiate themselves from Chrome :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Could be one of the ad scripts started using newer Javascript features than Opera supports, so the script would very likely fail to parse and appear blocked to other scripts, but that's just a guess.