Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

How much should I expect the price to drop on a SV650 naked if the bike has less than 10,000 miles over it first year of life? Second year of life as well? I keep seeing bikes that are 07's with 5,000 miles and the owner has them listed for $5,000. These bikes list as $6,000 new on the website. Should I be expecting less than a 20% in value? I thought these bikes would be going for cheaper especially considering the economy right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

frozenphil posted:

Opinions on this bike for a first timer? It seems to be priced inline, if not slightly under, what others in this area (birmingham/atlanta) are going for.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/mcy/1180096814.html

Where the hell do you live? Also buy that bike so I don't end up trying to take out a loan for it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

frozenphil posted:

Opinions on this bike for a first timer? It seems to be priced inline, if not slightly under, what others in this area (birmingham/atlanta) are going for.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/mcy/1180096814.html

haven't done anything in the way of engine/power upgrades as this thing will haul plenty fast enough for me. I have, however, spent some time on the suspension and brakes by upgrading to a complete 2006 gsxr600 front end with LSL top triple and am using a Pro Taper handlebar. Woodcraft rearsets, complete with levers, have replaced the stock pegs. The rear wheel is from a CBR600 and is slightly wider to fit a 180/55 R17 tire. I have Michelin Pilot Power tires on the front and rear. Brake lines front and rear are Galfer stainless steel. There is nothing machined, cut, or modified on this bike that will not allow you to go back to stock. Any spacers and modifications are on the added parts. There are quite a few other neat bits I've added as I came a cross them and you can see some in the pics (i.e., billet rear brake reservoir, swingarm spools, integrated tail light). Again, needs nothing and is ready to ride.

Clean GA title in my name in hand. Pics follow and show condition. I will respond to emails promptly; please leave a number if you'd like a phone call. Bike is located in Marietta, GA about 5min east of Delk road & I-75. Can also inspect at my work in Smyrna weekdays before 7pm.

Coredump posted:

Where the hell do you live? Also buy that bike so I don't end up trying to take out a loan for it.

Well FrozenPhil didn't get this bike... Cuz I now have it. Its loving nice. Couple of questions:

1. Would lowering links screw up the handling of this bike? I have a short inseam and I miss being able to flat foot like on my GS500. I can tip toe it but if I could lower it and not mess anything up it would be great.

2. Dietcokefiend, I can't find that black model light you have on your bike. All I see is the chrome one. How do you like it so far? Does it have low beam and high beam?

3. The guy says its just the stock sv shock on the rear. The bike rides really good to me but I'm coming from being 300+ lbs on a stock sprung GS500 so I may not know what good is. Should I upgrade the rear shock to match the gsxr front fork or can I preload it enough to match? I'm just going to be riding on the street and this is only the first year of me riding.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

Core, 300+ pounds? If so, nothing's going to work when it comes to the stock shock and spring. You need a custom setup to get any sort of decent performance out of the bike. Respring in the front will probably eventually be needed as well.

Yeah I walk around about 320 lbs these days in normal clothes. Right now the bike has the gsxr forks with racetech .95 kg/mm springs in it according to the previous owner. I figure if its that stiff up front can't hurt to go stiffer in back. Really the rear shock is probably the last stock piece left on it from the previous owner that deals with suspension. As far as I can tell he's done a really good job with everything and the bike rocks my face off.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Anyone got some 2nd gen stock front signals they want to sell me? The after market ones on the front of the bike just aren't visible enough for my liking.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jack the Smack posted:

Although if I were you I would go with Motrax LED turn signals. Holy crap are they bright and they use less power.

I like this suggestion, I will investigate earlier. For now Zen I will hold off on the stock ones and see what I can do for led turn signals.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jack the Smack posted:

I got 2 or 3 stock bulky ones (Suzuki SV-1000-S 2005), plus 2 micro arrows. Email sent.

Although if I were you I would go with Motrax LED turn signals. Holy crap are they bright and they use less power.

I just installed a set of these and...they are not holy crap bright. :( It doesn't look like all the leds are firing and they are just okay bright. At this point I think I still want to find some stockers.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Zenaida posted:

I feel like I read a review somewhere where someone was saying the same thing about all the leds not being on. They said they called the manufacturer who said to test them with the bike running, which apparently made a difference.

I did turn the bike on to see if it would make a difference and unfortunately it did not. I think I'm going to pick up some Buell turn signals. They look nice and apparently :10bux: a piece.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

frozenphil posted:

Yeah, the wife and I were talking it over, I go to call the dude and I find the listing pulled off of craigslist. Thanks for sharking me, buddy.

I told you to get it. It was on craigslist for a good couple of weeks. If you're ever in town though I'll let you ride it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

I'm fairly certain that that is it. You'd probably have to mod some clevises to get it to fit, but that's not too difficult.

Core, yeah, a respring at least, but you'll be best off with some form of aftermarket shock.

What kind of aftermarket shock would you recommend for me?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

I'm running the 8983 on my trackbike. It'd be mad overkill for street use.

Now when you say mad overkill do you mean too stiff? Or more adjustability than I will need? If its the latter than I may go ahead and do it since I've got the gsxr front fork on the bike already. Might as well balance it out right? :haw:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

If the 200$ won't make a real difference to your bottom line, just get the fully adjustable one.

Fully adjustable here I come! (This may be something that is several weeks down the road before I get.)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Dietcokefiend, can you ask the PO of your bike where he got that headlight from? I don't see any black models on http://www.xesighting.com/ and I've found two places that list them for $300 instead of $500, but they are chrome. Also, how is that headlight treating you? Care to do a mini-review? Maybe some pictures of the beam? I know you have that one of the beam against your garage door but I would like to see what it looks like aimed down the road. Thanks!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

jdonz posted:

Fake Edit: Search is down, I'm lazy and didn't feel like going through 15 pages :effort:

Its okay, we're all friends in here. Check out the napolean bar end mirrors. I have a set on my GS500 and they are fantastic. On my SV650 the PO put on a set of crg bar ends and although the mirror is not as big they are still pretty vibration free and let me see behind myself with ease.

Some people adapt some mountain bike bar end mirrors to work. So check into that.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

jdonz posted:

Alright, almost sold. Napoleon only makes the one style AP-104 bar end? I like the looks of Jay_Zombie's mirrors in the picture, if those are the one's Bike Bandit has here I'll order them soon.

That's them. The cool thing is you can rotate the arm the mirror is on around the mount. So you can flip them in if you lane split or make the mirros go out to the sides. It'll make sense if you get them.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jack the Smack posted:

They make HIDs in a yellowish color? I thought they only came in white and down the spectrum to purple. These are my HIDs and they're the same brightness as yours in your pictures.

Hahaha you put hid bulbs in stock reflectors. And by hahaha I mean dammit man you're blinding yourself and everyone else.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Captain Apollo posted:

Hello. Today I changed my oil and filter on my sv. Stupid easy, just never had a oil pan before haha.

Next up, changing a front tire that has at least 15,000 miles on it

I thought you had abandoned us.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Is sub-50 degree weather riding supposed to be impressive or something? I ride all year in Connecticut (barring snow) with no fancy heated gear or even a decent windshield. Anything above 35 feels warm to me, right now.

Edit: My temp limit is probably around 25 with no heated gear.

Different people from different regions have different tolerance levels of cold or heat. Hope that helps.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

NitroSpazzz posted:

I did a bit of a road trip Saturday on the SV. 500 miles of interstate, boring but the bike did well and I was pretty comfortable. I'm wondering what sort of MPG people are getting on their SV650's on the interstate. Mine is a 99 naked model with a slip-on, otherwise stock and I only managed 35mpg sitting at 6000rpm all day. Also about what speed would 6k rpm be? My speedo broke a long time ago and I finally ordered a new one Friday...wondering how fast I was actually going.

I'm not sure of my mpg interstate. I'll have to make sure to record what I get next time I slab it for a while. The thing is 35 mpg is pretty terrible, that's getting into car territory. If that's what I've been getting I'll be surprised.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Doing some maintenance on my bike before I embark on a 205 mile trip to go see a friend. I've changed the sprockets and chain last night. Today I'm planning on changing the clutch cable and getting everything buttoned up. Also I'm supposed to be getting the Nelson Rigg soft luggage in the mail today. So excited.

Any recommendations on what to use to lube the clutch cable? Is it teflon lined and not meant to be lubed?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I bought my 2nd gen Sv with a gsxr for swap already done. The speedometer will somedays read correctly and other days the speed jumps around with 10 to 15 mph range of the speed I'm actually doing. For instance if I'm holding steady at 60 on a road my speed will bounce around from 47 mph to 65 mph. From what I've read for a gsxr front end swap there should be magnets on my front rotor and a hall effect sensor spliced in. But what do I do for the speed jumping around? I searched on svrider but didn't pull up any threads specific to the situation I got so far.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I just checked and mine has the 06 gsxr front end. The guy also put on r1 calipers, so you might be able to do that to the 04 front end?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Frame Sliders: installed.
Tires: Air pressure checked.
Chain: cleaned and lubed.

Woooo, ready for my ride this weekend.

Bike: not packed. :gonk:

Couple of buddies and me are going up to Suches, Georgia this weekend to spend our days riding around the north Georgia mountains and spend our nights in a nice secluded cabin. You know, man stuff.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I've started to notice a clicking sound as I turn my handlebars lock to lock. What's that mean? Need to tighten the nuts or look at new bearings?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Enilev posted:

You can get an OEM cable for like $20 online.

It's pretty simple to replace, at least on the naked. Someone else can chime in about how it is if you've got farings. If you've replaced the levers, then you know how to do what's probably the trickiest part. Otherwise it's just routing the cable. Remember to lube the cable before you get going, and when you're done follow the first two steps here to adjust it.

Umm, the cable is in a teflon coated sheath right? So it doesn't need to be lubed? I didn't on my 2nd gen at least.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I started on a GS500 and the SV is a rocketship in comparison. I'm glad I started on a slower bike.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What's the deal with an SV1000? Would they be a good upgrade from a Sv650? Is it basically the same bike with a bigger engine? I read on Wiki that the SV1000 comes with gsxr forks, but they look like non upside down forks. Would it be possible to swap later models forks onto the SV1000?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

frozenphil posted:

Don't sell your bike without giving me a heads up. Especially since you sharked me on it to begin with you big jerk. :mad:

Haha, absolutely. My bad. :haw:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

sirbeefalot posted:

I wish I could provide more insight as I just bought one, but... I just bought one. I've literally ridden it home and that's it. Hope to get some quality time in this weekend if possible.

Apparently the front end is not the same one as the GSXR600, as I too read on Wiki. The only confirmation I have on this is from the guy I bought it from though. I believe you can still do the swap like you can with the 650.

Its got a torque curve like a DC motor. I can't wait to get back on mine.

Have you had any opportunities to put some quality time in on your bike? Any one else with a SV1000 wanna chime in.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hey if anyone is looking for a Sv650 I saw this come up on craigslist. I dunno if its a good deal or not but check it out.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/2180802288.html

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

the walkin dude posted:

So my K3 has been declared totaled by insurance, I get to keep the bike and do whatever I want with it.

So I'll be parting it out... hmm. I know I'll be doing the easy stuff (gas tank, radiator, slip-on, etc.) but what should I do in terms of the rest - the engine and frame? Should I strip the SV of all easily-taken-off parts and then sell the rest as a whole?

Maaaannnnnn, buy a cheap go kart and mount the engine and stuff to the frame. That vtwin has the torque to pull it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

the walkin dude posted:

Its a k5. Wish it was a k3 though. The clipons on there isn't terribly uncomfy. They have smooth, kinda slippery grips on right now which I don't like (but looks good). Definitely for aggressive riding.

The girlfriend's 2000 sv650 has suburban machinery bars that are incredibly comfy, with nice texturey grips. It's a dream to cruise on compared to my k5, and much more fun for in-city street warfare. You could get suburban machinery bars that look like clipons, they're apparently easy to pop in for Nakeds.

Why do you wish it was a 2003? What are the differences? I'm curious because I have a 2003 and I thought I read that it was kinda a funky year because it was the first year for the 2nd gen SV and Suzuki changed some things the next year which made 2003 the only year to get the big radiator? and other stuff. But I have no idea if any of that is correct.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My sv650 has woodcraft rearsets on it now and while I like how solid they are I don't like the height they sit at. After about 2 to 3 hours on the bike my knees start to kill me. This combined with the wide pro taper bars the bike has makes for a weird riding position for me. Stock pegs would be the way to go but for a compromise I got some adjustable plates for my rearsets and I plan on installing them flipped over so I can lower my pegs down more. They should be here some time this week. In the mean time, any one got any stock pegs they wanna sell?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

TheFonz posted:

Also, get rid of that read fender. It looks like a coal shovel.

Relax about the rear fender. It keep road grime off your backside.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Just to be confident I've eliminated the other possibilities for a streetfighter: are there any sport bikes commonly available in the US which are more powerful than the 250 Ninja but yet lighter/lower/smaller than the SV650, other than the smaller Monsters?

I still like the looks of the Monsters, but grant a SV650 is apparently going to be easier to work on, more used bikes on the market, and more used bikes with less babying and more wear so I can muck without ruining a pristine bike.

Just wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking any other good compact sport bike, but in the US there seems to be a sizable gap between the Ninja 250 and the SV650. The GS500 is weaker than the SV, but from what I can read of the stats, it's not really any shorter, thinner, or lighter.

GS500 was my first bike, SV650 is my second. The GS500 is pretty good bit lower and lighter compared to the SV. BUT, the GS500 put out only around 37 or so horsepower. It felt quick enough for me, but then again I consider the SV a rocket ship. The other thing to keep in mind is the gs500 did feel quick and I weigh like 300lbs. So it should be able to handle two up no problem.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

bladesamurai posted:

I'd only worry about the usual issues with retrofitting HIDs into housings that weren't designed for it. Basically, they don't focus the light at the correct height or cone like an OEM housing would, and it blinds other drivers. If you're willing to spend a decent amount you might be able to make something that works okay, or you could spend only a little and get something that annoys other drivers/riders in the oncoming traffic lane.

Personally, I'd just stick to the stock setup.

I think he's talking about transplating the projector as well. Not just the bulb you know? So that would focus the light just like it was in it's original housing.

You might try this though: http://www.futurevisionhid.com/products/headlights/h6024-bi-xenon-projector-motorcycle-headlight.htm

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Pope Mobile posted:

Holy poo poo, mootmoot. How are your turns coming? Make sure to dangle your feet around the corners just in case you lose balance.

Mootmoot's posts are without fail the most hilarious in whatever thread they're in, but you guys keep taking him seriously.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hey if anyone is interested in a SV650 in Atlanta mines up for sale.

quote:

Haven't done anything in the way of engine/power upgrades as this thing will haul plenty fast enough for me. However, the suspension and brakes have been upgraded to a complete 2006 gsxr600 front end with LSL top triple and a Pro Taper handlebar. Woodcraft rearsets, complete with levers, have replaced the stock pegs. Added Blair lowering plates to rear sets to make them more comfortable. The rear wheel is from a CBR600 and is slightly wider to fit a 180/55 R17 tire. Brake lines front and rear are Galfer stainless steel. Also has a gear indicator.

There is nothing machined, cut, or modified on this bike that will not allow you to go back to stock. Any spacers and modifications are on the added parts. There are quite a few other neat bits I've added as I came a cross them and you can see some in the pics (i.e., billet rear brake reservoir, swingarm spools, integrated tail light). In the last few years I've replaced the sprockets and chain, new clutch cable. Tire in back is two years old and tire in front was new last year. Again, needs nothing and is ready to ride. I have the title, no liens, bike has around 24,000 miles.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

CoyDog bought my SV! We met in a big parking lot and shot the poo poo about my bike for a bit. I answered as many questions as I could. Showed him the hackjob I did to my headlight bucket getting that damned HID headlight in. Finally he took it for some laps. Turns out CoyDog and I went to the same place to get our MSF's, albeit some years apart, at the Honda learning center in Alpharetta. Seeing his excitement and trepidation at some things brought back memories of my first time on a GS500 after my msf, so much nostalgia.

Right before Coydog set off for home though, my headlight didn't relight after cranking the bike. The first time it's done that in the time I've had it on my bike. My heart simultaneously stopped and sank when it happened as I was afraid the bulb had blown or something. Restarted the bike and it was fine. Then when Coydog got home he said the key was stuck in the switch, also something that's never happened to me. Only conclusions I can draw is CoyDog is the victim of an ancient curse.

Also someone in CA has seen how GOONY I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Good to see that bike being ridden like it deserves. How is the headlight treating you? Also where were those pictures taken at?

• Locked thread