Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

vs Dinosaurs posted:

I'm a new rider so the fact that it has an exhaust leak kind of scares me. Is it something that would have to be addressed right away, and did you ever look into seeing how much it would cost to repair?

Regardless, how much are you trying to get for it at this point?

It's not a serious issue. Once in a while, it'd emit smoke from the front area of the bike. The pipes have header wrap on them, and I think they're possibly hiding some rust and, of course, holes. I feel that the bike's performance is not 100% because of the leak. If the exhaust does need replacing, you can find used full exhausts around for relatively cheap, like this one that was just sold: http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193345

Keep in mind that this bike has a "grungy" streetfighter appearance. If you're into that, then this is a bike for you. The bike's mechanical condition is great - I brought it back to life yesterday, and it purrs like a kitten and emits all the right noises upon acceleration.

Right now it'd be $1500 - let me know if you're willing to crawl up here to Rochester for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

rotaryfun posted:

Yeah I'm a fan. I keep catching myself just staring. Really like the fact that I was able to keep the stock signals too. I'm a little nervous about not having a white light on the tag though. Is that something that I should really look into or do police not really haggle you over it?

I got a written warning for not having one on my R6. My plate was tucked way down in the fender there and with the rear hugger on you could barely see it. Either wire one up through the undertail itself or go buy one of those license plate bolts with the led in it. Either one will work well but depending on how your undertail is set up one version will be cleaner than the other.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I didn't have an issue without a plate light... until a couple of months ago. $180 later on a stop while doing the speed limit I now have a plate light for the first time.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Yeah it's not worth the hassle when they cost a couple bucks total to add. Of course it also helps not to be on a sportbike. I'm pretty sure I could mount machine guns on front of my DRZ but even if I constantly tried to fly under the radar on the R6 I'd get pulled over for dumb poo poo.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

the walkin dude posted:

It's not a serious issue. Once in a while, it'd emit smoke from the front area of the bike. The pipes have header wrap on them, and I think they're possibly hiding some rust and, of course, holes. I feel that the bike's performance is not 100% because of the leak. If the exhaust does need replacing, you can find used full exhausts around for relatively cheap, like this one that was just sold: http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193345

Keep in mind that this bike has a "grungy" streetfighter appearance. If you're into that, then this is a bike for you. The bike's mechanical condition is great - I brought it back to life yesterday, and it purrs like a kitten and emits all the right noises upon acceleration.

Right now it'd be $1500 - let me know if you're willing to crawl up here to Rochester for that.

Shoot me an email at ck.fancher @ google's service, I'm interested in getting some more info.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

welp picked this up yesterday

2007 sv650, 31k miles, some tasteful aftermarket parts including a yoshimura muffler that sounds good, frame sliders and :pwn: bmw style non symmetrical headlights. We settled on 2800 dollars.

Pickin up the registration for it monday :getin:

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 19, 2013

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

I'm thinking of getting the SV650S as my first big bike.

Wondering if any UK based people in this thread could have a look at http://www.thunderroad.co.uk/usedbikes/suzuki-sv650sk9s-blue-1.aspx and tell me if that price is reasonable or if I could bring it down a bit. Cheers.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Motsew posted:

I'm thinking of getting the SV650S as my first big bike.

Wondering if any UK based people in this thread could have a look at http://www.thunderroad.co.uk/usedbikes/suzuki-sv650sk9s-blue-1.aspx and tell me if that price is reasonable or if I could bring it down a bit. Cheers.

Seems a bit high from a quick glance at autotrader, the lower fairings and pillion seat cover dont add up to 1000 pounds more than most of these bikes

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/bikes/suzuki/sv/postcode/dy104sa/radius/1501/sort/recpriceascdefault/maximum-age/up_to_4_years_old

here's pretty much the same bike apart from the mileage, but 10k is nothing for these bikes.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...104sa?logcode=p

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
The original owner of my bike never bothered to hook up any license plate lights after installing the hotbodies fender. I bought some LED license plates bolts, but wanted to ask if anyone knows whether the extra connector on the left side of the picture below is for the plate lights.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Yup it is. Have some LED bolts to put on my own bike as well.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

Yup it is. Have some LED bolts to put on my own bike as well.

Awesome. Thanks. Now wondering if there's away to get a female connector to match so I can splice into that instead of cutting the connector off the bike wiring.

Edit: Nm. I finally got around to looking in the big box the PO gave me and the original fender is in there so I'll just cut off and use the connector from that.

Abe Froman fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 23, 2013

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Abe Froman posted:

Edit: Nm. I finally got around to looking in the big box the PO gave me and the original fender is in there so I'll just cut off and use the connector from that.

This is exactly my plan as well!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ugh. Had the DL into the dealer to do the valve check service and replace the steering head bearings (which I've been putting off for a long while), and they call to inform me that the swingarm bearings have some play in them and ought to be replaced. How much can I let this slide, and how bad is it to do? I've seen on Stromtrooper that it requires at least a special snowflake castle-nut driver and a 19mm hex key, as well as popping off the exhaust.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

This is exactly my plan as well!

Got mine installed. Sort of a pain with the hotbodies fender finding a place to run the wiring. Plus the fact that I'm not sure if thinner wire exists anywhere in the world than what the bolt manufacturer used. But it works.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Hey it's me again the stupid question guy.

Going to call about a 2000 sv 650s tomorrow and i'm making a checklist what to ask.

-valve adjustments
-tires
-sprockets, chains
-carburators
-maintenance history
-umm am i missing something that i should ask?

Also is there anything particular that i should listen/check while testdriving?

http://www.nettimoto.com/suzuki/sv/1510047#yritys=autoareena%23yritys=autoareena

That's the bike i'm after. The site is in finnish but atleast there is some pics.

And yeah loving finnish prices, bikes are taxed to hell here. I'll pay in cash so i can shave off some of the price.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Ask if they've had any R/R issues or replaced it. It's a first gen thing.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
What would cause my '07 to start like this:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1lIhYwqGjdW

Apologies for the quiet sound but I can hear it when I crank my volume, hopefully you can too.

The battery is a year old and has been on a battery tender all winter. Even when I took the bike out for the first few times it wouldn't act like this - it would start without hesitation. Now, when it first started doing this I would hook up the battery when I knew I wouldn't be riding for a few days, but it does this even when the battery is fully charged.

It has never not started on me so far, but sometimes it does a few extra turns and I'm worried I'll be late for work eventually. :(

A Swarm of Bees
Nov 20, 2007
Hey guys, I just bought a 2007 Sv650 as my first bike! I got a great deal on it I think. Really happy about it and looking forward to learning and taking the bike out for long rides and fun times.

Anyway when I bought it earlier today I test drove it around the dealership. It ran just fine had to sit on the throttle a little much but it still ran fine. It was a slightly longer trip than I would of wanted to drive it back so I put it in the bed of my truck. Then once I got it home took it out of the truck. It started once then I tried to let it idle and it killed and now it doesn't start. I get power to the cluster and it attempts to turn over when I hit the starter. Also when I hit the starter the lights and cluster cut out(I think this is how it is suppose to work anyway). The relay clicks over but when I attempt to jump the relay the engine turns over but doesn't start. I went out and bought a brand new battery but now I am lost for ideas and any help will be greatly appreciated!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Kickstand, neutral, killswitch.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

A Swarm of Bees posted:

Hey guys, I just bought a 2007 Sv650 as my first bike! I got a great deal on it I think. Really happy about it and looking forward to learning and taking the bike out for long rides and fun times.

Anyway when I bought it earlier today I test drove it around the dealership. It ran just fine had to sit on the throttle a little much but it still ran fine. It was a slightly longer trip than I would of wanted to drive it back so I put it in the bed of my truck. Then once I got it home took it out of the truck. It started once then I tried to let it idle and it killed and now it doesn't start. I get power to the cluster and it attempts to turn over when I hit the starter. Also when I hit the starter the lights and cluster cut out(I think this is how it is suppose to work anyway). The relay clicks over but when I attempt to jump the relay the engine turns over but doesn't start. I went out and bought a brand new battery but now I am lost for ideas and any help will be greatly appreciated!

I'm assuming you used a battery tender on the new battery to make sure it was fully charged?

Yeah if its turning over it isn't one of the annoying safety checks (clutch in, kickstand up). Silly question but it has gas right?

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen

A Swarm of Bees posted:

This happened to me all the time on my SV. It was always a loose battery terminal. Cluster would light just like yours.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

Kickstand, neutral, killswitch.

Haha! Confession time; when I swapped my bars over for some Renthals I discovered one of my earlier offs had cracked the mount on the clutch perch so I decided to replace it .

After hooking up the clutch cable to the new lever I started everything up with the bike still on the rear stand (this will be important later) so I could get the bite point adjusted, kicked it into first - and the bike cut out.

It was only when I decided to take the sprocket cover off I noticed I'd left the sidestand down.

:doh:

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

ADINSX posted:

I'm assuming you used a battery tender on the new battery to make sure it was fully charged?

Yeah if its turning over it isn't one of the annoying safety checks (clutch in, kickstand up). Silly question but it has gas right?

It'll turn over with the kickstand down as long as it's in neutral, it only cuts out when you try to put it into gear.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Finally bought me a 2000 Suzuki SV 650s. A little rough aroung the edges but the engine runs smooth. Fairing are a little used looking, someone have taken them off at some point and did a poor job putting them back again. A little bent and a few scraches. Nothing i can't fix. Also some paint bubbling around the gas cap, nothing too bad.

Wasn't the pretty yellow one that i was thinking but this one was a bargain.

After 400 kilometers the bike is absolute blast to drive, i really love the torque it has. Handles awesome too.

Bought full set of gear too, so am all ready for the summer :)

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam

sv650 by humanproof, on Flickr

There's she is.

Also a quick question, i took a small engine sound sample. Im probably just a little paranoid, but there is this wierd rattling sound when the engine idles either on neutral of with the clutch. When driving the engine sounds normal.

http://youtu.be/RlSkylnC-2g

If anyone could take a look and either thell me to chill out. Or do i need to do something about it. The sound dissapears when driving. Gearbox works just fine and the bike throttles nicely.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I got the FI code this morning on the way to work. Using the nice walkthrough on SVrider forums, I retrieved the C13 code which is the oddly named "Air Intake Position Sensor." I guess I'll be doing some troubleshooting tomorrow after work!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I cannot, for the life of me, find where I could possibly buy this IAP sensor (if it is actually busted). I even checked Ron Ayers with no avail. Any insight?

EDIT: Looks like my info was wrong. It's a Intake Air Pressure sensor and it's quite possible that I popped the hose off while screwing around with stuff underneath the tank. Good news to me.

XYLOPAGUS fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 11, 2013

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

It's always nice when you figure out that it's just something stupid that you probably did rather than it being an actual issue.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006
I love how this forum has a megathread devoted to the nerdiest, most functional uggo bike you can get. Do these girlscarers come free with decongestant or something?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Barfolemew posted:

sv650 by humanproof, on Flickr

There's she is.

Also a quick question, i took a small engine sound sample. Im probably just a little paranoid, but there is this wierd rattling sound when the engine idles either on neutral of with the clutch. When driving the engine sounds normal.

http://youtu.be/RlSkylnC-2g

If anyone could take a look and either thell me to chill out. Or do i need to do something about it. The sound dissapears when driving. Gearbox works just fine and the bike throttles nicely.

It might be the cam chain tensionier. They're noisy on SV's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8KoJMF0dVA

A lot of bikes have strange noises that happen to them; the FZ6 gas a noisy fuel pump at idle.

mootmoot posted:

I love how this forum has a megathread devoted to the nerdiest, most functional uggo bike you can get. Do these girlscarers come free with decongestant or something?

Holy poo poo, mootmoot. How are your turns coming? Make sure to dangle your feet around the corners just in case you lose balance.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 12, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

mootmoot posted:

/

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

mootmoot posted:

I love how this forum has a megathread devoted to the nerdiest, most functional uggo bike you can get. Dear god, everyone please accept me.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Edit: Decided not to be a dick and ask a legit question.

I've read a lot of threads on different forums regarding tires and still am unsure what to get.

I don't track. I don't ride hard. I still haven't been on the freeway yet (lol). I do seek out twisties, although there aren't a lot where I live. My rear end in a top hat tightens up like a snare drum when it rains, so I'd like something that inspires some confidence in wet weather. I'd like something that wears decently.

I want to purchase some tires soon, as the ones on the bike are stock and they are old as gently caress. Would love some quick opinions on the following options:

Michelin Pilot Road 2 http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/MICHELIN-PILOT-ROAD-2-TIRE-COMBO

Metzler Sportec M3 http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/METZELER-SPORTEC-M3-TIRE-COMBO#reviews

Pirelli Diablo http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/PIRELLI-DIABLO-TIRE-COMBO

Dunlop Sportmax Q2 http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/DUNLOP-SPORTMAX-Q2-TIRE-COMBO

If these are way off, I'd love to hear alternate suggestions.

Abe Froman fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 12, 2013

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've been running the Pilot Road 2 and 2ct on my SV since I bought it ~4 years ago. Good in the rain, decently sticky in the twisties and last a long time. I get 7-8k out of a rear and 12-13k out of a front. I'll likely continue to run them, especially since you can find them on sale sometimes.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Pope Mobile posted:

Holy poo poo, mootmoot. How are your turns coming? Make sure to dangle your feet around the corners just in case you lose balance.

Mootmoot's posts are without fail the most hilarious in whatever thread they're in, but you guys keep taking him seriously.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Coredump posted:

Mootmoot's posts are without fail the most hilarious in whatever thread they're in, but you guys keep taking him seriously.

It's hard to take anyone seriously after they crash in a straight line.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Had a weird issue on my bike this morning.

Was riding to work like I always do and when I was getting ready to leave from a light I gave it a little twist of the throttle and it just cut out on me. It turned right back on and I was able to drive the rest of the way to work without incident but I found that pretty odd.

Anyone have that happen to them or even know what to look for?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

rotaryfun posted:

Had a weird issue on my bike this morning.

Was riding to work like I always do and when I was getting ready to leave from a light I gave it a little twist of the throttle and it just cut out on me. It turned right back on and I was able to drive the rest of the way to work without incident but I found that pretty odd.

Anyone have that happen to them or even know what to look for?

Stupid question, did you stall?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Negative, I never released the clutch because I felt it cut out under me as soon as I revved it. The bike never jolted or anything as it does with a stall. Just cut off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Dumb question: is that "split" below the bolt supposed to be there? It looks to neat to be accidental, but I thought I'd ask anyway because it's not on the other side.

• Locked thread