Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Just A Little Bit Closer...
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/5018068107.html there is an fa50 for 250 (pre bargaining) and there was a motron the other day for 325. If you are comfortable paying 650 for a stock bike, more power to you, it isn't my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That's not normal, I had no trouble selling a bone stock maxi in good condition for $650 a few years back

Man, I got a perfect yellow '77 Maxi for $300 a few years ago just near Boston. The market has apparently gone nuts. $650 was "Functional but ugly Honda Elite" territory at the time. I'm afraid to see what THOSE go for now...

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Can't tell if this was a joke listing or what.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Might be seeing the difference between Craigslist asking prices and what bikes actually get sold for.

In Chicago, seems like top tanks or super kitted out Maxis are the bikes that have crazy asking prices. Also, we're right in the middle of the season so that accounts for some of the higher pricing.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Well I got the first hit of my upcoming addiction with a 1976 Columbia Commuter. I was casually looking for a moped when I went to a friends house to help him fix some small machinery he wanted to sell and it was sitting in the shed with all the other stuff. It was his step dads and he used to hunt mushrooms in the woods with it. It had like 1975 miles on it and hadnt run in 3 years but started right up with a little 2 stroke added. Got it for $150 and the fixing of the other machines.

It ran very briefly when I got home and the petcock was leaking like a bastard. I blew out the carb and fabbed up a lovely fuel line with some fittings I had laying around and put a filter in to keep the crap from the gas tank from getting to the carb while I waited to get a new petcock. Ran it like that for a few days and all was good...ish. It needed all new cables, the back brake squeaked like a bastard, brake lights didnt work, clutch seemed too eager to grab, etc, etc. Then one day while I was playing with the carb the kickstand broke and while I was looking at what happened my luck with the 40 year old tires ran out and the back one blew up right next to my ear so I quit for that day.

A fellow goon friend and moped addict stopped by a little later with new a petcock tube and tire that I could use and I was back on the road again, for a little while. With my renewed enthusiasm for the bike I spent a Saturday night douching out the gas tank and installing the new petcock. I also put in a new cable for the rear brake, fixed the brake lights which was just a bent brake handle that kept the switch from opening so the brake light was on all the time. I also removed the rear wheel to run the brake linings over my wire wheel and sand the drum down which fixed the horrible squeaking noise. Cleaned everything up back there along with cleaning and relubing the chain. Again all was good, for a little while, as we all know.

Spent the next week or so driving it all over town and even out of town. It was glorious. Then another betrayal from my trusty steel steed. Ran fine to a place in town, luckily close by but then wouldnt start when I went to leave. And it was uphill on the way home. Walked it up the hill and pedaled (slowly) on the flats. Turns out the spark plug wasn't sparking as much and as often as it should. Probably the points or condenser, right? I find the owners manual online and go to work cleaning and gapping the points and plug. Made a small improvement but still no go. While I'm diagnosing the spark I find that the start/decomp cable is binding and needs to be replaced so I get to work on that. Take the transmission cover off to find a horrible black mess, which I clean thoroughly and then remove the parts to get the cable out and of course it has an end on it that doesn't match any of the new cables I have, on a Saturday night, again. With no options of getting the right cable right away I cut off the cable end that fits and drill a hole through it and fit one of the cables I do have, bypass the decomp because it leaks and I also have huge muscular legs and dont have time for that weak rear end poo poo. Put it all back together with some shiny new trans fluid and get back to my spark problem. It was the spark plug and I should have known that. I tried a new plug I had lying around and nothing but big glorious sparks are coming from it. Picked up a new plug that fit the bike the next day and all has been good. With the new cable and start lever adjusted, new clean trans and perfectly gapped points and new plug it has never run better. Lets see how long the glory days last this time.

Anyway, meet Ziggy

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Looks pretty solid for a bike that was used for picking mushrooms in the woods. Is your friend's father some sort of gnome?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Thats what I figured, either that or he was some hippy looking to get high. There is some evidence of his off roading with it on the front fender where it looks like he took a landing off a motocross sized jump. Otherwise its in pretty decent shape other than the small niggling issues so far. Took it around town a few times yesterday and today and its been running great so it must be time to gently caress all that up and throw a kit at it. My only options I've found so far are a 50 and 70cc for the Sachs so Im definitely going to go for the 70cc cause gently caress it, why not.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Fart Pipe posted:

Thats what I figured, either that or he was some hippy looking to get high. There is some evidence of his off roading with it on the front fender where it looks like he took a landing off a motocross sized jump. Otherwise its in pretty decent shape other than the small niggling issues so far. Took it around town a few times yesterday and today and its been running great so it must be time to gently caress all that up and throw a kit at it. My only options I've found so far are a 50 and 70cc for the Sachs so Im definitely going to go for the 70cc cause gently caress it, why not.

Treats looks like it has a few weird options, though not all are in stock:

http://www.treatland.tv/sachs-505-504-moped-parts-s/69.htm?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=69&show=50&page=2

Honestly at first glance I thought it was just an E50, but I squinted and see it's quite a bit different.

If you order from him, put something weird in the comments. I used to order there a lot and I'd just put jokes in for whoever'd read them. One day they stuffed the box with a bunch of random poo poo -- pink handgrips and a Nirvana "Nevermind" cassette. Other times they'd just draw goofy pictures on the box. Treats rules, and his prices tend to be the cheapest of the online options.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to pick up some parts for my scoot at treatland on Friday. The email says to knock on the door by the abandoned police station. My girlfriend thinks I'm going to get raped.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

monsterzero posted:

I'm going to pick up some parts for my scoot at treatland on Friday. The email says to knock on the door by the abandoned police station. My girlfriend thinks I'm going to get raped.

I imagine it'll be like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, but instead of a river of chocolate, it's just 2-stroke oil with random burnt out heads floating in it, and Willy is blatantly on cocaine.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Treats looks like it has a few weird options, though not all are in stock:

http://www.treatland.tv/sachs-505-504-moped-parts-s/69.htm?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=69&show=50&page=2

Honestly at first glance I thought it was just an E50, but I squinted and see it's quite a bit different.

If you order from him, put something weird in the comments. I used to order there a lot and I'd just put jokes in for whoever'd read them. One day they stuffed the box with a bunch of random poo poo -- pink handgrips and a Nirvana "Nevermind" cassette. Other times they'd just draw goofy pictures on the box. Treats rules, and his prices tend to be the cheapest of the online options.

Oh yea Im definitely ordering from treats. I already have a huge stack of parts in my cart. Im an independent contractor and just waiting for some checks to come in so I can begin the madness. I'll put something in the comments for sure now, I still have a few casette decks because Im old and think old stuff is neat.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Just A Little Bit Closer...
Here is video that one of The Dicks, Andres, made at our rally a couple weeks ago. Not pictured: meth-head strippers at the Queen of Hearts Lounge I took ~70 mopeders to.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-gnlOvvmIws

Nerf Herder
Sep 2, 2006

Scruffy-Looking

It is mine. 500 big ones.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Just posting to say no problems in the last 50 miles or so since the new spark plug. Saaaaaaaaachs!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I imagine it'll be like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, but instead of a river of chocolate, it's just 2-stroke oil with random burnt out heads floating in it, and Willy is blatantly on cocaine.

Pretty much. It looked like my garage would if I had unlimited funds to acquire arcane go-fast parts and not enough places to put them. Also, they make solid burrito recommendations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

More pics of my bike

Fuel filter setup

Clean chain and wheel

Cat Pancakes
Apr 24, 2012
So I recently brought my old 2000 Tomos Targa that has sat since 2010 back from the grave, after draining everything, cleaning the carb, replacing the petcock and all the fuel lines and lubing up all my cables, and it seems to run great.
Except for this thing where it spits a decent amount of oil out of the exhaust. That part isn't super great. Anyone have any suggestions?
Also any Baltimore mopeders around/ heres some content

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Are those old National Geographics worth anything?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Are those old National Geographics worth anything?

as someone who spent a couple years working at a used bookstore, I am compelled to say :frogout:

Nerf Herder
Sep 2, 2006

Scruffy-Looking
My 78 puch maxi won't turn over. I have checked compression, the carb is getting fuel and the jets are clean, gas is coming out clean from the tank and into the carb. I tested the spark plug and its dirty and looked flooded but I got a good spark after cleaning it. I think it was just a little flooded after trying to turn it over so much. After cleaning it tried to start but then it gave up. Timing looks good to me.

Not sure what to check next. I have a new plug coming in tomorrow. Anything else I can test before that? It was running fine the other day and tried to start it ~18 hours later and nothing.

Nerf Herder fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 23, 2015

Nerf Herder
Sep 2, 2006

Scruffy-Looking
Got it running better than ever. Timing, new plug, rebuilt carb.

Here is a new picture.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Hey there guys. Long time lurker, first time poster and, of course, its because my shits all hosed up and poo poo.

I ride a 2013 Tomos Sprint. It has ~500 miles on it. It has an aftermarket pipe and air intake. It has been properly jetted. It is kick-start only.

This is what I believe to possibly have been the first symptom: The two times I've had to fuel it since purchasing it, it will not start. I have to wait a good ten minutes after fueling in order to be able to get it going again. This happens whether I have an empty tank or a half-full tank.

Here is what's happening now: I rode a good bit today, upwards of 40 or so miles. This shouldn't be an issue. On my final (and longest) ride to my girlfriend's house, the bike stalled while I was at speed. I pulled over, tried to start it right up but had to wait about one minute. It kicked on and I was good to go. Except it would stall again, and again, and again. Thank god the bullshit started at least somewhat close to her house. Now, not only is the bike continuing to stall at speed, but it will stall when I try to come to a stop (before it just stalls out on its own. Its able to be kickstarted, again in about one minute.

Possibly relevant information: Today I had brought the bike into the shop to try and get the turn signals I put on attached to the electrical system. It didn't end up working but a good bit of the wiring was out, I'm not sure what all he did/didn't unplug or anything to that effect. This was around noon and I continued to ride on and off the entire day with no issues until this last trip around 7:30 PM.

Does anyone have any loving clue what could be going on with this thing? I just got it Sunday before last and it is my only form of transportation (I'm a graduate student). I read that a blown brake light can cause the problem and it was blown, but I've removed it.

Besides the incidents with difficulty starting after fueling (which I may have caused by forgetting to turn the petcock to off) I have had no problems.

SA...HELP!

epsilon fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 2, 2015

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Are you sure its properly jetted, your gaskets are all there, and that the carb is clean? I would start with pulling the plug and checking it. If it looks funky, replace the plug. Its likely you're going to need to clean the carb.

I also thought I had the "right jetting" on one of my mopeds and found out I was a size too big. It would cause my Suzuki FA50 to bog at 20mph and then stall.

Run through freds guide and see what happens. Cleaning a carb is quick on a moped and takes very little tools. Its worth trying yourself if you can follow basic instructions.
http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Fred%27s_Guide

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Email from Treats, got me to buy an ER3 variator and accept that I'm going to need to carry little pieces of cardboard with me everywhere from now on:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

i'm pretty sure it's summer now and i think i told someone we were having a sale one day this summer so let's go ahead and get to it! 17% off from now til sunday nite! a summer sale extravaganza !! oh boy do i love a good extravaganza!!! someone bring me a pizza!!

to get these discounts use the coupon code 'treated' to get 17% off any order you make and the coupon code 'freeship' to get free shipping on any order over $150 (contiguous USA only for free ship coupon...sorry international dudes, alaska & hawaii.) if your order is over $150 enter both coupons to receive both discounts.. uhh wow?!

notations : coupons valid from time received until sunday 7/5/15 at midnite, coupons not valid for dealers, no additional % off coupons can be used with the 'treated' coupon, free shipping will ship by our chosen method (ups ground, USPS parcel post or USPS priority), coupons should be entered at the time the order is placed in the box marked 'secret code goes here'.

my favorite part of this email - final notation which you should PLEASE NOTE NOW :

when we have sales we get a lot of orders. when we get a lot of orders it takes more time to ship them all. since the sale is starting on thursday we will be shipping all day thursday and friday and then we are going to take the weekend off and continue shipping next week. based on how things usually go during sales we can roughly estimate we will be completely caught up with shipping and back to normal within about a week so no need to worry about anything. assume about a 2-5 day delay from the time you place your order until it ships for the sale period only. we take sales very seriously and we all put a huge amount of work into making sure all the orders are out the door as quick as possible. it's a stressful time for us since usually our shipping times are under 24 hours and we hate delays!!!

that's all for now! enjoy the summer!! yours truly, A TREAT, FROM TREATLAND

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

I was able to get things up and running again today, thanks all.

Cat Pancakes
Apr 24, 2012
Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a Safari 300MT and was wondering if anyone has much insight or info on them? Theres very little about them online besides the fact that they run a minarelli enghine

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

This help?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Didn't realize there was a moped thread, been making GBS threads up the scooter thread with my moped pics. Bought a Hero Gizmo Majestic, some kind of Indian moped. I've been working the past few weeks getting it up and running, it's going in for inspection this weekend hopefully so I can get it registered. Kind of nervous as I had to re-make the engine covers that have been lost to the sands of time. Currently trying to figure out how to cover my clutch.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Have you seen this by chance?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I haven't! I wish I'd seen it earlier, before I tore it apart and learned about it on my own though! Still neat to see others with them, at least I'm not alone. It would have been super useful to see the carb beforehand and I think I might have to add to that pic set with internal pics of the carb the next time I take it apart. It's a neat little thing, super primitive. The mix screw has a tendency to grime over so bad you can't tell it's even there...but it's a good lesson in cleaning your carb's outside too!

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
gently caress!! So I finally get this fuckin' thing registered and I had it running like a top and now I'm pretty sure the CDI has poo poo the bed. I get power to the headlights but absolutely no spark. I took the killswitch out and no change. I don't know what kind of CDI to replace it with seeing as it's some weird Indian thing. If I posted pics would you guys be able to help?

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Got the ER3 on my bike and now the carb is spitting gas. Might be the floater pin getting stuck or something I'm guessing. Any other ideas?

Also, going to try do this:
http://youtu.be/ipG3hyvxkAk

I'm taking the pedals off the bike and replacing them with pegs anyhow since the pedals are pointless. I guess that's what Everyone ends up doing with Motobecanes.

Oh well, more money down the pit!

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
what do you mean by spitting gas, exactly? Floater pin would be my first guess. Clean the poo poo out of everything, maybe even adjust the float?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Call of Cholula posted:

I'm taking the pedals off the bike and replacing them with pegs anyhow since the pedals are pointless. I guess that's what Everyone ends up doing with Motobecanes.

Way way back when i had my Moby that's what I did. The pedals sheered off, and this was like back in 96 before good info was available. Had it tuned to the point i could get it rolling and it'd kick over rather easy. The switch to kick it over from power to pedal always hosed the thing up anyways to the point i had to pull it apart and reset everything anyways, so it wasn't much of a loss.
It was a good moped, not the quickest off the line, but could catch up with anything the other guys were using except the little Express I had. that fucker was quick, just could never get the fuel system to stay sealed so one day it caught fire.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
gently caress I'm not gonna be on the road for a while. Gonna have to hit up aliexpress for a bunch of spare parts this week then wait like FOREVER. Last week the CDI and coil poo poo the bed, but I managed to resurrect this ancient spare coil and cdi I had. Finally got it sparking, but I guess the ancient carb didn't like being full of fuel then drying out and the fuel needle valve totally poo poo the bed. The rubber tip expanded so at first it wouldn't let fuel through then when I tore the carb apart to clean the fuel inlet the tip just broke off completely.

I reckon I'm gonna order a 50cc yamaha carb+ filter because a mikuni won't really fit this moped. Gonna order a spare coil and CDI while I'm at it then have this thing on the road sometime next month, hopefully.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

I was following these guys with interest, but knowing that most electric motorbike projects never get past the good idea phase. But I see they're getting pretty recent press coverage of their work, so maybe this is one company that might actually succeed in bringing a product to the market. And the Bay Area seems an optimal place to do so: horrible car conditions, really steep hills that suck for bicycles, interest in green energy, and yipsters with lots of spare cash.

quote:

Update: 22 June 2015
Our first production run has sold out.
We are taking pre-orders on our next run.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 31, 2015

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I was following these guys with interest, but knowing that most electric motorbike projects never get past the good idea phase. But I see they're getting pretty recent press coverage of their work, so maybe this is one company that might actually succeed in bringing a product to the market. And the Bay Area seems an optimal place to do so: horrible car conditions, really steep hills that suck for bicycles, interest in green energy, and yipsters with lots of spare cash.

That is adorable and I want one.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It looks pretty cool. I like the overbuilt nature of it, appearing to be more motorcycle than bicycle. At 5k, though, it has less appeal.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

A good motor/controller/battery combination will cost around $2 grand alone. Mid-drive electric bicycles often have the motor output shaft on the right side, a freewheel on the pedal crank and then some crazy expensive internally-geared hub like a Rohloff 14-speed which is over $1000 by itself.

I see these folks are using dual sprocket wheels so standard moped stuff will work on it as opposed to Motoped, which uses standard bicycle parts that are not really suited for motorization and then break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

If you need parts, sign up for treats emails; they have an awesome sale going on through the Holiday. I don't know if its lame or not to post the code here, though.

• Locked thread