Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I do!! Unfortunately, I dont have any good pics of it.

1977 Puch Maxi Sport. All original, 480 miles.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

For goons considering mopeds, can you go into a little more detail here? For you, what makes mopeds more fun than a motorcycle?

Why would you recommend them to others?

To me its nice to have both worlds, really.

For instance, my main bike is a Suzuki Bandit 1200. Its 100-ish HP, and torquier than a lot of small cars. Its very fast, and requires restraint to not lose your license on. Its also big.

A moped, scooter, or small motorcycle is the complete opposite end of the spectrum. You can slam it around, balls to the wall, full throttle all day, and not get a speeding ticket. You can toss it around corners, and push it right to the limit on the street without really being crazy with it.

Its just a complete opposite end of the spectrum thing, and that's why I think a lot of people who own bigger bikes also like to have small bikes or scooters.

EDIT: I forgot the best part. If you have some friends with scooters or small bikes, you can find an abandoned parking lot or open space and set up race courses and everything. You'd be surprised how fun it is to race these little things, they really make the rider shine, since you dont really have any power to use to your advantage.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

From now on, we shall refer to kits by their status, thrown or not thrown.

Your friends Motobecane? Kit status: not thrown

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats how mopeds work in Wisconsin too. Everybody and their brother claims that they dont need titles, which is code for "I cant find/dont own the title". Good luck getting a plate without a title in WI, and good luck driving on public streets without a plate.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Where did you order said kit which is to be thrown?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Biturbo is the exhaust brand name.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dont put the rear wheel in the air to adjust idle. Chances are you'll never get it to idle low enough that the rear wheel wont turn. It always will, due to the oil. Just adjust it on the ground, and get it to the point where it stops pulling.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dont just go taking things out of the carb to see what happens. Running a 2-stroke with a serious air leak like you'd see with no idle screw is a good recipe for a hole in the piston.

I'm with Nerobro in that you have an air leak somewhere else. Most likely where the carb connects to the manifold, or where the manifold connects to the cylinder.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

EDIT: Looking at the diagram, there's a part I never understood before that has a big butterfly right by the intake, and a lever on the outside, but there's no cable to the lever nor any way it looks like it's supposed to attack to anything. Is that the choke lever? Are you just supposed to hold it open with your foot or something while starting the bike? There's no lever or switch marked "choke" anywhere on the Hobbit.

NUMBERS, man, which number on the diagram are you asking about?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, so last night my wife was asking me what needs to be done on the Puch before she can ride it this spring. She mentioned that she wanted to be able to take it to the next town over, but the road connecting the two is 45mph.

Then she asked the question that every married moped owner is dying to hear: "Is there anything you can do to it to make it faster?"

Wife-sanctioned kit throwing shall begin.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a fellow owner of a 77 maxi, can you tell me what the "usual Polini setup" is? What other mods do you have done to it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone interested in a 77 Puch Maxi? $600 is the "I hope I get that" price.

I'd go less for a goon ;-*: http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/1143169642.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I picked it up with intentions of having it be a wife cruiser, but she's not interested in messing around with premix, or smelling like 2-stroke, so off to the chopping block it goes.

She may wind up riding the Honda-converted RV90 I'm making.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phat_Albert posted:

Anyone interested in a 77 Puch Maxi? $600 is the "I hope I get that" price.

I'd go less for a goon ;-*: http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/1143169642.html

Aaaaaannnd its gone!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is it the kind with only a main jet, or does it have both a main and pilot?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Too rich at idle? Can you drop the needle down at all?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lol wow, not sure what to tell you on that one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yep, I've had my RV90 and a Puch moped in the back of my focus (hatchback as well). You can doo eeeeet

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Something is miswired somewhere. That diagram isnt going to tell you why its happening. What you need to do is plop down in front of your bike, and make sure that its wiring matches that diagram exactly. Someone along the line plugged something in where it doesnt belong, plugged something in backwards, or didnt connect something that should be connected.

Once you get the bike wired like the diagram, things should be fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ashcans posted:

But I'm not clear on what the two things in the upper right of the diagram are. Are those grounds to the chassis?

Yeah, it looks like anything with those gray rectangles (AC Regulator, Generator, Electronic Box) has a chassis ground. The two in the upper right are O-connectors that a bolt goes through and screws into something on the frame.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Unreal Fantasy posted:

tomorrow i begin the rebuild of the 103 for this upcoming rally season.

Nice, thats a pretty serious carb, what kind is it? I like the chamber too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro posted:

So.. from:

to this:

Took me three hours. I am quite happy with it.

So how is it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Senator Woofington posted:

What is Treats? Also I am aware of the problem with not having an exhaust, but would it be possible to start the engine at all? I just wanna make sure the thing works before shelling out more cash for an exhaust pipe. Right now, all it does (with the broken carb) is turn the engine and leak fuel. No ignition. If I get ignition, I get an exhaust you see.

It may fire, but it wont run anywhere near correctly.

Treats is http://www.treatland.tv/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Put a new spark plug in it for starters, thats the cheapest and easiest thing to do.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dude seriously, there are cross references at every hardware store for spark plugs. Take your plug there and have them cross reference it to whatever brand they carry. It doesnt have to be an NGK.

Agreed, research some of this stuff, we cant physically drive you to the hardware store, so you're on your own for that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AncientTV posted:

"Won't turn over" generally means it chugs and chugs but just never catches, i.e. the engine turning over.

It can also mean the bike is a catastrophic basket case with a frozen engine :v:

I love when people say "it fires but wont turn over".

OK......

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Look at the wiring diagram for the bike, and look at where the brake contact wires should plug in. Then look at your bike and see where they are actually plugged in. Unplug them and make them match the wiring diagram.

Easy as that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dont go randomly unplugging and replugging things, then you'll really gently caress yourself.

Can you post one of the wiring diagrams you've been looking at?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If the floats are working correctly, it wont overflow.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I used to have an FA-50, and I dont remember the carb being that hard to get off. Its most likely a gunked up carb though. They are dead simple, so if its not the carb, its electric, which should be easy to diagnose.

Once it runs though it will keep running. They're very reliable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They're nice, simple bikes. My FA-50 ran like a top despite me beating it like it owed me money, and racing it constantly around a homemade course in an abandoned parking lot.

I did find 50 cents in the main frame tube that somebody dropped from under the seat, so yours could very well contain hidden riches.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yessss, that brings back memories (not your wife, the scooter).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The engine design screams Sachs to me, but I couldnt tell you what the bike is. Doesnt really look like anything that came to the states.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you see "2008 scooter" in the title of a CL ad you know you're in trouble. All the CL ads for these cheap chinese clone scooters with no brand name of any kind in the description are hilarious. Who buys that poo poo?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phone posted:

I have money burning a hole in my pocket and I don't have enough for a real motorcycle, but reading this thread has made me consider a moped.

I came across this: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/1889855597.html

Suzuki FA50. Looks like it's in decent shape and I have a buddy who knows about bieks, so any carb questions I have can be answered by him. 500 is way too much for something that's just a toy to dick around with; maybe 300 tops?

They're dead-on reliable, bordering on unkillable. They're slow, as ShaneB mentioned, but can get out of their own way as long as you're going below 30.

I did a frame-up resto on one, so they hold somewhat of a special place for me.

I wouldnt pay $500 for one though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phone posted:

There's this Cub near me, but the dude wants like 800 for it and it's the 90cc version. http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/1865743690.html

Do you have an M endorsement or no? That cub requires a motorcycle license, and is quite a different machine from a moped.

The cub has a 4-speed manumatic transmission, and will do 40-ish. It is skewed farther towards the motorcycle end of the spectrum than the scooter end.

If thats the way you want to go though, cubs are great bikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phone posted:

I can get my M endorsement with no issue and pass the MSF. I have no qualms about getting a 125cc motorcycle (a real one), but I'm looking at getting something to scoot my way to class everyday since the buses around here are a pain in the rear end and sometimes walking sucks when it's ungodly hot outside.

I like the look of the Cub and it's more on the spectrum of real motorcycles, and it fits in more with my mantra of hating the ever-living poo poo out of those lovely 49.99999cc chinese scooters that people buy and then drive on 45mph roads. (note: I'd be riding on 35mph and under roads if I get a moped)

Well, if you're willing to get your M, then a Cub strikes a great balance between mopeds/scooters and motorcycles.

Its got the small footprint, gas mileage, flickability and general ride of most scooters, but its also got a 4-speed transmission, and beefier suspension, wheels and brakes that it borrows from the motorcycle world.

For squirting around traffic and in-town riding, the cub would be perfect. Also theres a huge aftermarket out there for them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Woofington posted:

Say shaneB I've got a question. When I got my derbi she had no exhaust pipe so I ordered a custom one online. Unfortunately when I mounted it to my engine I found that the only place to mount it by the can was on the swing arm. So now my exhaust flexs everytime my shocks take a dip, and this is causing all sorts of problems, the first being that it is destroying my gasket between the exhaust and the engine. I have an airleak now to deal with there. What should I do about this mounting issue? When Can I mount this pipe?

I.....uh......:ughh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, I'm honestly surprised it held together at that speed for that amount of time.

I can maybe see a quick sprint to a speed like that and then letting off, but that guy held it pinned there for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Awesome, that minty-rear end crank really stands out in those cases, haha.

• Locked thread