Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
I tell my patients about the cutting edge colonoscopy screening that Mayo has started doing, giving 4 bisocodyl and doing a CT, that eliminates 88% of actual colonscopies; as I'm shaking their gallon of Miralax.

Goonery comes in many varieties.

Reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
It turns out, the moron simply doesn't understand the difference between an RN and a CNA, and doesn't understand why one is [nearly] qualified to be a school nurse and the other isn't.

Regarding the Daily Show interview, my wife and I (both RNs) reacted similarly; the vets should be getting more than what they're being given, but they are asking for far too much. We usually expect John Stewart to be better informed than this. :(

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Karmakazi posted:

the reality is that the pay is simply not enough to support my family and myself.

Going into nursing "for the money" is a poor idea.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
It isn't unusual for attrition to be shocking in the first semester of nursing school. It should settle down in a few months.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
Nursing student was a previous pediatrics washout, so she's done all this before and doesn't need much beyond someone to sign-off on her work.

Harried floor nurse tells her to go to 34, remove the old dressings and gather supplies, and then find the RN.

After about 10 minutes harried floor nurse realizes her error and runs to 34, mumbling something about wounds in 44.

Nursing student proudly displays the skin grafts she carefully removed from the 6 year old burn victim.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
In the 5.5 years I worked on the floor, 4 RNs I worked with or near were caught misdirecting medications for recreation. [Where I work] There is a well-publicized and discreet way to seek help and protect your job; I don't personally know anyone who's used it.

One nurse stole another's OmniCell login and only took when her victim was working. Her victim was suspended during the investigation, ended up on suicide watch until her name was cleared, and never returned to work. The password thief was sighted working at a chemo clinic in the same hospital system a year later.

One RN took her own life with 60 ml of assorted narcs. I don't know if she ever took other than that one time.

There was an anesthesia resident who was found "down and blue" in the bathroom; apparently he wanted to take a ride between cases, and overdid it.

Battered Cankles fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 20, 2014

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

Breaking sterile field is not a big deal as long as you acknowledge that you've done it and start over.

This is right on, and AORN refers to it as "surgical conscience."

I work OR now. A few days ago one of the scrubs brings in a square, clear plastic container she found in the trash in her room; it was cracked. She needs me to talk it over with my scrub, who opened and setup her case, to see if she recalls WITH CERTAINTY that whoever opened that package checked it for cracks before opening onto the table. My scrub is "pretty sure" it wasn't cracked, but she didn't squeeze and wobble it to check it for cracks.

If it might have been cracked, it might have been contaminated, and since it wasn't noticed in a timely way, the entire setup is trashed. Probably only $22,000.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
It isn't worth anything. It certainly isn't worth lying about.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Koivunen posted:

If someone is stealing drugs or did something actually bad, a union won't support them keeping their job. However, everyone deserves an investigation to ensure that punishment is fair for whatever has been done.

My union works to keep people out of criminal court for substance problems. About half of the RNs I've seen lose their jobs for narc abuse ended up elsewhere in the system.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Dirp posted:

Getting rid of patients as soon as possible seems like the greatest part of being and ED nurse. The only problem is then you have to admit new ones.

You're halfway there.

At my last job we got 1-2 admits/hour from noon to 6, and then 6 or more between 6 and 7. Excuses for this phenomena varied widely. After an update to the ordering system, we could see admit orders were active hours before ED was sending them. We started calling them directly to ask for report (instead of waiting for them to call us), and then went to ED to pick up our patients.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

LordAnkh posted:

Thanks for the advice. If I graduate in June, should I apply starting in May?

What possible advantage could waiting offer you?

Begin applying yesterday. Look for openings aimed at spring grads.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Cacafuego posted:

If you're not a good enough candidate, dressing over the top won't matter.

I think the pastel triangles would be fine, with the right shirt and suit. Or shirt and slacks and sweater, maybe.

When I was offered the interview that turned into my first RN job, the manager said "If you'd like, you can shadow for a few hours after the interview. This also means you can wear you're favorite scrubs to the interview."

Barring an invitation like that, a suit.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

djfooboo posted:

EHR CHAT!

Cerner - sucks so bad
McKesson - sucks less
Epic - sucks least

I started on the floor with paper orders, paper MARs, paper 24 hr flowsheets, hand counted narc carts. The addition of EHR has been mostly taxing.

The Pixys/Omnicell change made sense, and it/they did make life a little easier...when it/they worked.

Epic is the first thing I've seen that is an actual improvement over the old system. It saves me time in every case over its predecessor (ORMIS).

Battered Cankles fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 4, 2015

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Littlepuppingtoto posted:

I know here, ASNs can't really get jobs all that easily, although he's more than willing to to LTC, as he also has his CNA license and has experience in that as well. We're thinking he can enroll in a RN-BSN program when he applies, so at least he can say that he's getting his BSN. What do you guys think? Should he take the plunge? We're saving up now so we can cash-flow his admission to the program next year, and we're putting money aside so we have savings to account for him not working for 2 years (the ASN program length). Is this route worth it? Have you guys found that ASN-educated nurses can get some kind of job?

3 years ago, my employer changed their hiring practices (in pursuit of Magnet status). Each unit was told to pursue (or maintain) a certain percentage of ADNs to BSNs. Depending on where a unit found its staff at that time, they could afford to hire a few, or zero ADNs. My supervisor described splitting resumes into 4 piles; ADNs vs BSNs, and relevant experienced vs not. New grad ADNs went into the trash, experienced ADNs went into a dark corner of his filing system. BSNs were considered for interviews.

Your plan is plausible. I would advise you to investigate traditional BSN for him as well. I used to advise people to get their RN (regardless of degree) at the earliest reasonable date, to start working [as an RN] as promptly as possible. For the same reason, I now advise people to speak with likely employers and consider pursuing BSN.

Not sure where your 'here' is; I'm in SE Michigan.

Battered Cankles fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 10, 2015

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Koivunen posted:

For comparison, here's a map of right to work states, which honestly blows my mind every time I see it.

Your graphic is out of date. Michigan became Right-to-Work in 2013.

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

How honest should I be during interviews regarding my plans for the future? I'm about to graduate with a BSN but I'm planning to apply for a CNM+DNP program in about a year from now. The idea is to work full time on any floor until I apply and then try and move to a slower floor (or at least a maternal-child floor) for two years so I can work full time while completing my first year of CNM part time. By then I'll have enough money saved up to do my last year of CNM and the extra year of DNP full time without working. The question is, how much of this should I tell future employers? I'll be with my first job for at least a year and maybe for the full three depending on how busy it is. I know sometimes they ask you where you see yourself in five years and I definitely see myself working as a Midwife in another state, which I'm sure not all of them want to hear. Thoughts?

Also, what are some good slow floors other than PACU? I know nights are pretty slow on most floors but are there good nursing jobs on really boring floors during the day too?

Dialysis. Nursing homes. Parishes.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

MurderBot posted:

Then, if you get the job, just ditch the scrubs or use em as painting clothes and buy the appropriate ones.

Then, stash them in your locker when you find a job, or in your car or work bag if you don't get a locker. You never know when you'll end up desperate for a change of clothes.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Koivunen posted:

Has anyone here actually been asked to shadow immediately after an interview? That sounds kind of weird tbh, especially if they don't specify to be prepared. You'd think they would have to consider all the applicants before deciding who is going to shadow, and at least give some warning. Then again IANAManager.

Since you asked, when I took the call (7 years ago) offering me the interview for the gn job I ended up taking, I was told "If you'd like to shadow afterwards, you may where scrubs to the interview." Short of an invitation like this, I'd always wear a suit.

VV: The interview was ~30 minutes, 2 hrs for shadow, and then another 30 minutes of interview. The 2nd phase of interview was a surprise to me, and focused on the shadow. At the end of it, I was offered the job and told to wait at least 4 days before calling with an answer.

Battered Cankles fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 11, 2015

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Annath posted:

Networking during clinicals is A+ good idea.

While all sorts of bells and whistles on your resume won't be enough on their own, they will still help your application be more memorable, so get what extracurricular stuff on there that you can.

I ended up as Class Historian. Basically no responsibility beyond attending Officer meetings for the 2 years, but it's another notch on the belt.

Your resume is not your facebook page.

Be judicious about how long it takes the reader of your resume to find your relevant information.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
When I worked straight night 12s, I worked 4 on, 4 off, 4 on, 4 off, 4 on, 8 off. I shifted my sleep schedule 4 or 5 hours when I had 4 off, and only flipped when I had 8 off. One week per month wasn't great, but it worked. For about 20 months.

There is one bar here known for being the 3rd shifters' hangout. Opens at 7, packed by 8 with nurses, paramedics, and so on; happens to be attached to a Holiday Inn, so rooms are available.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
You can't mandate volunteers.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
Friday, scheduled 8 hr day shift. My alarm goes off at 0540. At 0543 pager goes off "You are early start today..." and my room assignment and partner. This page is informing me that I'm now expected to be "at work" at 0630, as opposed to 0705. I make "to work" 0638, and my day proceeds. It is normal for a 0630 start to forego an afternoon break and be relieved at 1430. At 1422, our interim manager stops by to let us know that our relief is delayed, likely by 1 to 2 hours. I call to coordinate with family, and then call my partner's family to coordinate child retrieval. We are both relieved within 5 minutes of each other, 2 hours later.

This is a daily occurrence. 9 people were on mandatory overtime yesterday.

OT/OA Incentive posted:

The incentive for OA will be 2.167 times the individual employee’s hourly rate, or will be paid at 1.567 times the individual employee’s hourly rate with .5 hours of PTO for every OA hour worked. The incentive for OT will be 2.5 times the individual employee’s hourly rate, or will be paid at 2.0 times the individual employee’s hourly rate with .5 hours of PTO for every OT hour worked.

Even when you can do it for the money ($85/hr), it's not worth doing it for the money.

Battered Cankles fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 19, 2015

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Annath posted:

Uh, it lists literally JUST HCA as an option when choosing Institutional Login, at least for me.

Based on my assessment, Hypothermic Circulatory Arrest is a likely contributor to your current state of health. Go ahead and select it.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Annath posted:

the offgoing day shift charge nurse laid hands on him (grabbed him by the wrist and tried to pull him) because he was using "her" computer

Find a new job. When asked in the interview, be honest about your current workplace.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Annath posted:

I guess what I mean is, should I explain that I only got trained via the online modules.

Personally I think I'd benefit a lot from the actual ACLS class, but I don't want a potential employer to turn me down because the training is expensive.

Personally, I think you'll benefit a lot from actual code participation.

No one is going to be surprised that a new grad has the educational gaps you've described. Be honest about it, if asked. Otherwise try not to spend interview time dwelling on minor details that don't reflect positively on you.

ACLS class cost is negligible compared to the money wasted by a new hire who departs after 8 -12 weeks.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

boquiabierta posted:

the dr actually apologized to me later, which I know is an exceedingly rare thing indeed
This is not rare; human beings do it all the time.

A year ago I was circulating a cardiac case. Sternum is open, PA is harvesting the leg vein (using an endoscopic device to remove the Greater Saphenous Vein), fellow is taking down the IMA (squatting on a stool, unroofing the Left Internal Mammary Artery from the anterior chest). The surgeon had stopped by for timeout and brief, then departed, saying "call me when you're looking at the heart" (when the pericardium is open).

Things are humming along when Dr. Licknob silently enters, scans the room, and approaches the fellow from behind. He grabs the headlight and starts unscrewing it to remove it. The fellow whips around to shout something obscene, sees who he's about to yell at, and utters "Um, can I help you?"

Dr. Licknob says "This is my headlight. I'm taking it." Fellow says "I don't think this is yours. I got it from over there." Dr. Licknob says "This is my headlight. I know what mine looks like and I'm taking it." and reached for the light again. I said "You're headlight says LOANER on it?" and everyone in the room focused on the headlight itself, where 1 inch letters were painted on the band. Dr. Licknob jerks his head as he looks at it, turns and glares at me for 5 seconds before storming out of the room.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Iron Lung posted:

Whats a good brand to check out? Cause I'm about to bite the bullet and order those Figs.

Edit: ordered because I need them asap. Found a coupon code and saved a bit, but would still love to know for future reference.

I don't work the floor anymore, but BDU pants were the best fit for me. http://tacticalgear.com/bdu-pants

Belt loops, normal side pockets, giant cargo pockets, ripstop material.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Roki B posted:

Ok students, what's helpful when being precepted?

For the students in med/surg 2, I would dart into the med room and peel the "check dosage" stickers off of the meds for the patient I would give to the student, and let them sort all the meds and present them to me prior to leaving the med room. About one out of three would catch it.

So many beaming faces...

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
Maybe you need the medical advice thread in the goon doctor?

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
I think this will be an answer that varies from state to state, but I think the burden of schooling makes RN to PA inefficient compared to NP.

Why not just go to PA school?

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
Collaborative: The employer and the union will have a framework in place to guide traveler contracts. Framework might include incentives for regular staff and regular hires, rules on voluntary vs mandatory OT & call distribution.

Antagonistic: Bust a deal, face the wheel.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
Look for volunteer opportunities. We have undergrads on a pre-med track working as periop techs (trash collectors in the OR) and the main hospital has volunteers pushing a cart through inpatient units, selling snacks and magazines.

See if your aunt is able to take you to work for a shift, as a shadow.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
Obs is an observation unit, for when 'acute' is 'sorta'. ED is emergency department. Level 1 trauma center means ED is semi serious.

I work cardiac OR, open sternotomy 3 to 5 days a week. You get used to things, but stab phlebotomy still disturbs me. So do guillotine amputations.

The county MEs office is in an adjacent building. They have an opening currently, $16/hr, high school diploma, some anatomy knowledge desired. Ymmv

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Etrips posted:

What is the difference between an ADN and BSN?

$12k to $18k in debt.

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

My bosses are solving our unit's staffing problems by hiring like 10 ADN new grads. Scale of 1-10, how boned are we?

Are you all lovely teachers?

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
4x 8 hrs, straight days. I often go in on my day off, if no plans. Occasionally in early/out early/at my home before 3 PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
I had the most honest and straightforward interview of my life last week.

No more:
call
weekend shifts
holiday shifts
work past 6
code browns

Hello Ambulatory Care