Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
NoDak sucks. Do not come here. Do not take their bonus money and their crappy pay, and crappier supplies and equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Sheep-Goats posted:

They will often look at your science gpa separately and have a more stringent gpa requirement for those courses.

Which is :lol: considering how much woo infests many nursing courses.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

TheFarSide posted:

Start at a trauma ICU at a level 1 trauma center next week for my first of 3 critical care rotations within my fellowship. Been pretty bored with ED, so I can't wait.

As an ICU nurse I can say with full certainty, that the ICU is the best unit, you'll never want to leave except to become a flight nurse, also don't forget to bag your patients down the halls :D

On the other hand, Bum The Sad can tell you how awesome it really is.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Hughmoris posted:

I was randomly assigned to a local ICU for my preceptorship and tonight will be my last night of it. For the time being, I think I can say that the ICU is not for me. Maybe its just because I was on a smaller unit and we didn't have very critical patients but I didn't find it all that exciting. Having just 2 patients can make for a slow shift.

I haven't had a department really capture my attention yet so I'm a bit clueless in what field I want to work in. I have a guaranteed job on a 50-bed med/surg floor at a regional trauma hospital so I'll probably take that after graduation. Maybe work that for about a year, and hopefully during that time I can build up a skill set and figure out where I want to go.

If your icu experience was slow, you definitely didn't have critical patients. 12 hour shifts where I don't sit the entire time are not uncommon. Did you have at least one intubated patient? Those tend to be busy and interesting.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Nurse Fanny posted:

Anybody have any experience ambulating vented patients? We are starting a new program and I'd like to hear from other folks about it.

HA. Enjoy the hell out of that. We get them sat up in chairs occasionally by sliding them over to a stretcher which goes hinges into a recliner with them belted on it. I can't imagine a vented patient being well enough to stand let alone do a walkabout.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Baby_Hippo posted:

Ugggghhhhh ortho :suicide: Halfway through my ortho rotation (coming off working on a post cardiac surgery unit, which I LOVED) I got so sick of knee/hip replacements that I worked with the person in charge of scheduling to get me a pod of ALL post colostomy/ileostomy patients. I got so goddamned good at changing bags. :3:

Do you not have a sense of smell? Colostomy poo poo is on the top five most vile smells.

Seconding the orthodox (Edit: Orthopedics autocorrect hurrrr) sucks and is boring notion. A good intro if you're learning time management though.

Roki B fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 9, 2012

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Inab posted:

As someone who has no college experience (outside of 60 credits in an unrelated field I got from the military), how long can I expect to be in school to get a BSN, assuming I take a normal course load? Is the field still looking pretty good in the foreseeable future for career opportunities? Basically, is it a terrible idea to quit my 80 hour a week high paying job that makes me miserable in order to jump feet first into this during a bad economy?

About four years give or take some prereqs.

Yes, and only getting better. The average age of a nurse right now is high forties to low fifties, and when all them geezers retire its going to be a sellers' market.

Depends on if you want to kill yourself with despair or love your job but occasionally make contact with terrible bodily fluids

:getin:

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Hughmoris posted:

I believe people were talking about opportunities in Eagle Pass, Texas earlier in this thread. There or somewhere in the Dakotas.

North Dakota. Come to Minot, see why they're hemorrhaging nurses and have critical staffing problems! Also get paid poo poo! And have no recreational opportunities for 700 miles!

But I'm nearly up to my year of right out of school critical care experience. And then back to Portland. So if you can deal with a hellhole for a year, come out.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Koivunen posted:

Yup.

I replied earlier about living in North Dakota. Long story short, only start applying in the Dakotas if you have been searching for two years are absolutely broke and desperate for any kind of job no matter how lovely it will make your life. The Dakotas are the worst.

Not that bad. Very close, but I've found some good friends up here. And microbrews. If you are looking to get into critical care for a year right out of graduation and jump start your career, Minot is where it's at. The whole hospital is hurting for nurses because of the low pay, high rent situation associated with the oil boom. Not to mention the flood last summer that destroyed a quarter of the residential area in the town. Elsewhere in Nodak will get you opportunities open to new grads not found elsewhere.

Got recruited through Beck-Field recruiters, received a 5k bonus with moving expenses paid to go out there with my fiance (also is a nurse). You're obligated to work a years worth of hours before you can quit without being required to pay back the bonus. My year of ICU will be up September 22 and then I'll be applying to either travel to Portland or directly to an ICU there. Once you have a year of experience, particularly critical, you're much more likely to get a job compared to a newly licensed RN.

The hospital itself is somewhat of a joke. If you can avoid Minot, do so. The hospital here is so laughably mismanaged, the ER bill I got for a minor finger laceration arrived in the mail six months after it happened. The charting program and thin-clients they use for documentation are beyond poo poo. There was also recently some sort of hubbub about either a patient death or near miss with bed side-rails being somethingoranother on a psych floor and now every nurse has to chart what the side rails are at, regardless of how many are up or down - every eight hours wtf.

I got three months of training with an awesome ex-EMT who had been on the unit for about a year. The turnover and attrition from more competitive employers is brutal. In my six months being there we have lost at least 6 nurses to other employers. We are tripled too often, frequently short of equipment and get poo poo for pay. $21.50 an hour for new grad, and rent around here can get up to and beyond 1k for a one bedroom one bath appartment, for which there are huge waiting lists.

With all of that said, my plan to get into flight and then CRNA got cut by three years because I got straight into ICU rather than spending time on the floor first. Its a nursing boot camp. When I come back to civilization it will feel like taking of ankle weights with the amount of experience I've acquired in such a short time. If you want experience, have a year or two to burn, and can tolerate mind rotting mediocrity in work and town then Minot has something for you. Otherwise, look for Beck-Field recruiting and check out Bismark and Fargo, both of which are much better.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

TheFarSide posted:

Q2H. "Safety Checks." Involves which ID bands a person is wearing, what signage might be in a room (difficult airway, no blood products, fall risk, yadda yadda), side rails, assisstive devices, etc. Luckily beyond your initial assessment, there is an "unchanged" option.

I'm at a neuro critical care right now during my fellowship rotation, and some of the Q1H stuff can get quite annoying. A full list of Flotrac numbers (minimally invasive hemodynamic monitoring that connects to the end of your vamp set on an aline, giving you CO, CI, SV, SVI, SVV), standard vitals, cooling device numbers (arctic sun - patient temp, water temp, trend), neuro checks, EVD drainage leveling and zeroing, HHH theapy status for subarachnoid bleed patients, hourly I&O with complete emptying and pump zeroing every 4 hours, and the list goes on and on. Two subarachnoid patients on HHH therapy and you may as well try and start eating your meal for the shift at the start. You might finish it by the time your 12 hours are up.

The worst thing about technology today is that there is no unifying solution to flow tall these values from different machines into your charting program. Also for whatever reason, I'm entirely uninterested with neuro stuff. I'm looking to get into a cardiovascular ICU in Portland, maybe OHSU. Or maybe a general one, I'm not sure. I'm just starting to look around for what the best hospitals in the area are. If anyone has advice on that, it'll be appreciated.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Nurse Fanny posted:

Don't come to California. There are no jobs.

Ugh. I'm calling up some of my coworkers travel reps in the hopes I can get a travel job somewhere nice before I have a year of experience. I'm burning out of tolerance for this city quickly.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Koivunen posted:

TL;DR
Do I start day/night so I can take classes and develop my interests and hobbies outside work, but risk being bored and lonely at work? Or do I stay day/eve and sleep when I want and have a good resume but have a boring life half of the time outside of work? Which shifts do you prefer? If you have kids, what works best for you?

I got preggers buddies on day/nights and they do just fine.

You'll adjust eventually to nights, but just remember that sleep is for the dead, the living drink caffeine. I suggest scheduling 4-6 nights in a row. By day 3 your body has adjusted and its just like days except dark. I don't think employers give two shits about evenings versus nights other than you ability to be flexible with their needs.

I love 12 hours shifts because then I only do 3 of them a week and pick up a bonus for $$ as I have no other real obligations other than my lady. I know my coworkers with kids do nights but a lot of the time a spouse will be home to care for them while they sleep. Sometimes they'll cut into sleep time to be up to take care of them for whatever reason, but usually not more than once in a stretch of shifts.

Coffee is a favorite, a bizarrely common amount of people drink mountain dew or diet mountain dew to stay up. Our current (and favorite) locum intensitivist has a 64 ounce ultra-jug that he fills up with ice and mountain dew when he comes in at 3AM for the day. Some people just tough it out and stay busy to stay up. Others stay moving, some nap sitting straight up at the charge desk.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

breebellucci posted:

Are you going to tell me that there is no difference between nurses who receive a BSN from a competitive and reputable University versus those who go to a community college and bang out an ASN? gently caress off.

There may be a huge difference in education there may be none. I have yet to see any real data on the subject and therefore am relegated to speculation. The point, however, is that you're an insufferable shitlord working off anecdotal evidence. Go find a peer reviewed study [or better yet a meta analysis or systematic review] or accept the null hypothesis you piece of poo poo.

I had a BSN nurse bring me an apneic-breathing patient and be nonchalante about it because she's an idiot with no critical thinking. Sternal rub and some other noxious stimuli got no response so we RSI'd the guy under five minutes after arrival. When she got called the gently caress out on it cause I was lollin' about it to everyone who would listen, she said "but the doctor saw him earlier and said it was OK!" She's the same nurse that told a CNA that the difference between an associates degree and a BSN is that "We know more".

So go get buttfucked, or find me peer reviewed large scale observational data supporting your claims. With your BSN I'm sure you took a research methods and design class and likely have access to CINAHL.

Roki B fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 22, 2012

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
breebellucci, I think I may have forgotten to mention that you should kill yourself. You should put a gun in your mouth, aim it at your pons and then pull the trigger. Don't gently caress this up and shoot off your jaw. Aim for the brainstem (You know where this is because you have a University Education) and use a large caliber.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

breebellucci posted:

Nope, I love all my patients. In fact, I'm probably a better nurse than you in real life.

Hahahaha, just leave already. What are you, twelve? Could your daddy beat me up too?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I tell my coworkers here that if it weren't for them, I'd hate my job. I've got an awesome group of intelligent, supportive, educative nurses surrounding me I can bounce ideas off of, ask for help from, and shoot the poo poo with. Cleaning c-diff poo poo with someone is a great team building exercise.

... We should outsource c-diff poo poo cleaning to corporate team building seminars.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Hughmoris posted:

How difficult is the ACLS qualification?

Retarded easy.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Koivunen posted:

I honestly like what I do and I get along well my coworkers, which is why I'm nervous to possibly move to a different unit and have to learn a new job with new people. However, I've heard that ICU nurses are treated much better than floor nurses and in general, shifts are less stressful.

Hahaha no. The stress is different, but certainly not less. I'm inclined to say more, but then I get floated with a load of six and I'm pulling my hair out so its all your type of personality. The 1-3 patient load is by no means easier by virtue of being fewer because every single one of them is sicker. Sometimes a little, like they got an angiogram and they need watching for bleeding (they should probably go to a step-down unit if you have one). Sometimes they have labile blood pressure so touchy you spend a few hours adjusting drips so they don't blow an aneurysm or bottom out while still being sedated. Did I mention you have another patient at the same time who's getting intubated? The unit has to operate as a team. Ask the nurses there about the culture and any cliques before you jump in.

Ask Bum the Sad about real ICU nursing. 3:1 transplant poo poo makes what I do look like getting drunk and playing bingo. I haven't even touched ECMO or LVAD's, and those are where the real fun is at anyway.

Koivunen posted:

ICU nurses, why do you like your job? If you were initially a floor nurse, why did you want to switch? Tell me your favorite and your least favorite things about working in the ICU.

Straight out of college into ICU. I like the challenge every day, the severity and complexity of the diseases and comorbidities, and the nonstop pace. I like expanding my knowledge, and learning to stay calm when it all starts to go sideways. I hate wiping butts and patients who are well enough to open their stupid faces and complain.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
All I know about the OR is that it has the best conversations. A group of healthcare workers who can say anything without fear or HIPAA or the patient being offended or anything. Its like a watercooler everyone has to stand at for a few hours. Truly the speaker's corner of the hospital.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Ha! My terrible job is giving me my TNCC class in september, just a month before I plan to start travel nursing with my wife. Cant wait to have those juicy letters behind my name and the and the knowledge to do trauma. Oh, and I'm going to try to do CCRN by august too :iamafag:

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

and so it begins. Day 2 of the semester and I am already tired. I don't think the content its self is going to be that difficult. There are just a lot of additional assignments plus I am the chapter president for the Student Nurses Association and my faculty adviser is encouraging me to run for state office.

I can see how doing an inhuman amount of work in a semester could be seen in a positive light on a resume, but I never thought that sacrificing my leisure time would be worth it.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Its one of those situations of someone has to do the job and no one else is stepping up so it ends up on my shoulders.

also I retract my comment about the content. gently caress that. gently caress confusing as hell instructors. I understood all this poo poo till you started talking circles around your self. and gently caress OB. I have no desire to no desire to massage your fundus, or watch your crotch fruit come shooting out. give me an MI and angina anyday

Nobody's gonna advocate for you, I'd caution you against being the individual that responsibility falls to just because you let it land there.

OB is the literal worst. Gross self-obsessed mothers and their little alien children flinging their nasty fluids about haphazardly. I find it offensive!

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

CardiacEnzymes posted:

Seriously- there's nothing more pathetic than that "my specialty is way more important then your specialty" attitude.

I just don't like OB. I'm glad there are people who do. Chillax.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

CardiacEnzymes posted:

No reason for you guys to post catty things then- take your own advice.

Hey, if you like OB now's a great time to post a good run down about why its awesome, the challenges of getting into it and the kind of nurse it takes to do it. I'll try to stop complaining about it, I know a lot of people are into it and I just wasn't on a really big level. Anyway, nursing students and those getting into OB pay attention.

If you want to get into OB you should know: Lots of bodily fluids. Lots of chux. A little human comes out of a bigger human, but the uterus is a weird organ that requires some knowledge about the cardiovascular system. Postpartum hemorrhage is usually caused by incomplete contraction of the uterus after birth which allows local capillary beds to bleed. Normal postpartum uteruses (uteri?) will contract with muscular force due to endogenous pitosin levels which cause uterine contraction and then occlude capillary beds preventing hemorrhage. The location where the placenta was implanted is at the highest risk because once its separated from the uterus proper, the capillary beds between the two that used to be high-flow transfer for mother-fetus blood supply are now open to environment. This is the same reason why abruptio placentae is an emergent finding. Hemorrhage with a fetus still in utero explicitly implies fetal blood insufficiency. Emergent c-section is indicated in these situations, usually observed as hemorrhage from the vaginal canal without actual birth. Bloody as gently caress vaginas without babies are bad mmmkay.

Post-partum women can have the same issue but without fetal risk if their uterus (now known as a fundus because its semi-distended but no longer containing a fetus) doesn't contract down to occlude capillary beds. Greater than 500ml blood loss postpartum is considered an adverse finding and needs to be reported after 'massaging the fundus'. Mashing your fists into new-mom's belly to induce the uterus into contraction to occlude capillary beds. Failing that, immediate surgical intervention is indicated. Mom is gonna die if you don't call the doc and be like

If you love babies, moms, birth, and occasionally complex emergent situations where the life of one or more humans is in peril, OB is for you. Or if you're into alternative birth schemes get educated and be prepared to tell mom to go to the hospital/call 911 if it starts to go sideways.

There is also hosed up poo poo like BABY IS ALL WONKY AND WON'T COME OUT IN THIS ORENTATION TIME FOR A C-SECTION YEAAAAAAAAAAAAA and thats pretty cool to help with and/or watch. You've got to be on your game to know when its time to call the doc and say "this dumb human ain't comin' out, CUT IT OUT." and be right about it.

If you're in a high quality birth center you'll be able to watch uterine contractions on a tele monitor that also monitors fetal heart tones. Once you get it all set up you can watch the dynamic between uterine contractions and fetal heart tones. Fetal heart rate should respond in a particular way to contraction, and if it doesn't you get a good idea of what intervention to do next, or alternatively how to titrate your pitosin.

Its not for everyone, but you can get yourself a big ole' bonding experience with the family and the mom at the same time as monitoring a complex physiological process that has the potential to kill one or both members involved.

So kudos to you, OB nurses.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Go to the EMT thread and ask them about priorities. Then use those on every test ever for every nursing exam in existance.

Airway, breathing, circulation, safety, pain, anythingelse

There were plenty of tests that I got high marks on without studying because most multiple choice questions lead the answer. Learn to see what the question is asking. They are never ever going to ask you a complex nuanced question. The question will always be a test of basic knowledge or of prioritization. Basic knowledge, you should just know some stuff. Prioritization, see the above list.

Overthinking is the primary cause of wrong answers. I have no end of hatred for the scrub who ends class by ten minutes of arguing with a professor that the students' answers were better. Wrong! Unless its egregious and you have at least three references showing its invalid, you're wrong and should try to learn why you're wrong and not squabble over the points with the professor. NCLEX does not have a squabbling option.

Once you're employed in the field it becomes a lot less rewarding talking about it on the internet on your time off. 36 - 40 hours a week of nursing is enough for anyone to want to think about something else for a change.

Looks like the wife and I are going to be doing a double travel job to Las Vegas here pretty shortly. Just finished getting out Nevada licenses. Our agent says winter is a high demand season in Vegas because lots of old people 'winter' there. Migratory population means they get more nurses for the winter through travel companies and let them go for the summer. Once we get this first travel job though, every other job in existence that demands prior travel experience will open up to us. Same poo poo as getting a as a new grad and I'm really tired of working all these barriers down.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Etrips posted:

I do have a question about prioritization. Where does a patient's psychological needs fit in?

ABCs > Maslow's / Safety > Pain > *

For example (completely made up): A patient you are seeing is complaining of severe anxiety and pain.

Which would you treat first? The anxiety or pain?

This will never be a thing you have to worry about on a test. Stop overthinking. Stop it. Stop.

Also maslow is not on the same level as safety which is before everything else forever always. ABC is just a breakdown of safety.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Hellacopter posted:

Nope, I just have my CA license. I suspect that my resume and cover letter have a lot of keywords that HR is looking for, because because the amount of activity I've gotten off them the past few weeks is really unexpected -- I have no patient care experience, little volunteering, almost no leadership, an out of state license, and the same education as everybody else. I'm not really interested in the job but I can't afford to reject any opportunities to interview, do you want the name and phone number of the HR person that called me? She's calling for surgical unit interviews right now and maybe you can get through to her.

Whats the unit you'll go into?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Atma McCuddles posted:

This is amazing, THANK YOU. I never considered using ADPIE as a resume tool.

Turns out thats all ADPIE is actually used for!

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

dissin department posted:

Stuff like this makes me wonder how different the floor will be from the classroom. I'm paying attention and taking it all in and all that, but how much of this stuff I learn will just be classroom BS that'll never come up in real life?

I should correct myself. ADPIE is used but if you have to think though each letter to remember what you're supposed to be doing you might not have absorbed the profession well. Care plans are hit or miss depending on the hospital; ours are just click 'yes or no' for a bunch of goals that are decided for you via protocol. Nursing diagnoses are cumbersome and awkward but can be useful for compartmentalizing what's wrong with someone and coming up with ways to fix it, but always focus more on your pathophys, biology, anatomy, and ABCs that underlie most of the nursing diagnoses. Please ignore all the woo and pseudoscience that you will likely have thrown at you though the course of school.

Also scooping the needle to re-cap it literally never happens.

Dirp posted:

Had a class today where we talked about chi, energy healing, and how we should keep an open mind to alternative medicines even if there isn't an scientific evidence to support them. Her evidence for chi was that when two people rub their hands together, then place their hands close to each other without touching, it feels warm.

What is this poo poo doing in my nursing school?

Yep! Welcome to the wild world of nursing where half of even your instructors don't understand basic electromagnetic radiation!

For a lot of them, the science is just too hard and so they love talking about feeeeeelllliiiinngggssss. And if that's not your deal, go find the old icu pathophys or medsurg professor and excel where it matters.

Roki B fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 5, 2012

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Space Harrier posted:

Working as a nurse has also made me aware of aspects of my personality that are less-than-ideal for the job. I really, really like it when things are in order and I have some feeling of control- obviously, as a med/surg nurse (or in practically any field of nursing), this never really happens. When a job is usually chaotic day in and day out... it starts to wear on me.

I'd been giving some thought to what my "ideal" job would be, and I feel like I may be well suited for a position in the cath lab, OR, or recovery. A job where I would closely monitor patients during or after a procedure. Things can, and will, go horribly pear shaped from time to time, but I would be working closely with a team. Please feel free to tell me that I've got the whole idea wrong on this, those of you working in these areas, but based on what experience I have in these departments, it just seems like it might be an okay fit.

I'm biased because I work in one but an ICU would be awesome for you. Vented and sedated patients don't talk, or complain about taking too many pills and you can keep your room as clean as you have time for.

I've heard cath lab is a gravy train and PACU as well, but I don't have any first hand experience with that.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Hellacopter posted:

I've never been in the ICU before even though I was supposed to do my preceptorship there, any ICU goons have advice? Books/materials to review? Words of advice or caution?

• Read "Rapid Interpretation of EKG's" by Dale Dubin, MD.
  • Get ACLS.
  • Understand and be comfortable with ventilators and everything airway.
  • Memorize everything you can related to pulmonary artery catheters (Swan-Ganz)
  • Study for, take and pass the CCRN. Get more letters like TNCC too.
  • Travel nurse and make bank being a swag fucker.

Miscellanious tidbits:
Its really hard to kill an adult human, you won't do it accidentally.
ET tubes look really tenuous but they're not.
Above all, ask when you don't know for sure.
Feel free to PM me with questions that would clutter up this thread.

Edit: Forgot to mention, don't look at the monitors all the time. You can get sucked into them. Look at the schmuck on the bed first, then all the lines and numbers afterwords.

In other news for me, my wife and I just got travel positions in Las Vegas for floating between three hospitals. I'm all ICU she's all medsurg. Choo choo, here comes the gravy train! :toot:

Roki B fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 23, 2012

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Patient: "So you're going to go on to be a Doctor?"

Me: "So you're getting subtly neglected and talked down to all shift?"

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Just because someone is a nurse doesn't make them good at critically evaluating legislature. And there are plenty of nurses that believe healthcare is a zero sum endeavor.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

CancerStick posted:

Yea. My first semester is coming to a close tomorrow with my microbiology final. The nursing finals are already done. I'm tempted to spend the next three weeks mastering diseases, clinical signs, etc. But I kind of want to enjoy these next three weeks before I enter what appears to be hell (Pharm, Patho, and Intro to Clinical w/ Lab and Clinical).

I think I'll just relax.

And that's the right answer to the 'should I study on my break' question.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

halokiller posted:

There are nursing jobs out there, it's just hard to find ideal nursing jobs.

North Dakota still has ICU out of new-grad positions. Two years and no medsurg. Never learn bad habits, spend two years in hell to be a travel nurse in heaven.

Edit: My wife and I are now living the dream in Las Vegas.

Roki B fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 29, 2012

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Fatty Patty posted:

anyone know if their hospitals offer a relocation bonus?

Minot, North Dakota.

Be advised: 5k for one year sign on bonus though Beck-Field recruiters. Up to 5k Reimbursed for travel expenses. Forty hours a week, that means two twelves two eights a week. Also, cold as gently caress.

Actually a pretty good hospital compared to Las Vegas in terms of med-surg patient load. Their floors usually get 4-5 maybe six if its bad on the floors. The ICU is 19 beds and hardly ever gets trippled. But the manager in the ICU is a gay-hating fatass dumbfuck bigot. The assistant manager is fairly chill and is waiting for the head manager to die from obesity and makeup toxicity. So if you're LGBT I advise staying away from the intensive care unit there.

Roki B fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 21, 2013

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Hughmoris posted:

How is the pay and living expenses up there?

Oh yeah, I forgot. The pay is starting at 21.50 an hour and you may end up spending upwards of a grand a month on a one bedroom appartment; if you can find one. Soooooo, pretty bad. You won't save any money but if you want to start nursing ASAP in a specialty its certainly an option. Not much to do up there either besides drink and gently caress.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
What the gently caress are you doing working for free? No overtime? Are you just clocking out and doing it voluntarily?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Oxford Comma posted:

Yes.

I'm doing it because jobs for new nursing grads are -very- hard to find. I think half of the staff are new grads. Anyways, I redid my resume today.

If they ask you to do it, that's illegal. If they threaten your position because you don't work for free, that is also illegal. If you report them to your state board of labor and they are found to not be in compliance, they will face large monetary fines. You should not work for free. Nobody should work for free, and most importantly any organization that requests you work for free or demands you clock out and continue to work is probably violating a few labor laws that will cost them much more than what they would have owed you.

Dept. Of Labor posted:

Employee Rights
Employees may find out how to file a complaint by contacting the local Wage and Hour Division office, or by calling the program's toll-free help line at 1-866-4USWAGE (1-866-487-9243). In addition, an employee may file a private suit, generally for the previous two years of back pay (three years in the case of a willful violation) and an equal amount as liquidated damages, plus attorney's fees and court costs.

It is a violation of the Act to fire or in any other manner discriminate against an employee for filing a complaint or for participating in a legal proceeding under the Act.

Your State DOL

Hospitals are generally run by greedy fucks, so don't let them screw you out of your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Hughmoris posted:

Any travel nurses here that can share their experience doing it?

loving stressful if you don't have a permanent house to move back to. My wife and I did it and did it as true nomads with no home moving the totality of our worldly possessions. Goddamn stressful, but it's an easy out if you're stuck in some shithole town in the midwest (Minot, ND for example). Learning a new hospital seems like it would be easy. Wrong, its also stressful. If you're good at adapting to new environments and have a home you can go back to and claim as your permanent tax home, a reliable vehicle, no kids then it can be good. You will be first to float, you will be first to get the lovely assignment, you are an expendable resource and if you have the ability to handle that stress the money is good, better for two nurses living together since tax free housing stipends, etc. Making friends is difficult, your social circle will likely contain only nurses. Ours contained nurses and bartenders.

One of the mitigating factors was my agent, who took extremely good care of us. I dealt with one other from a different company who was weird and pushy and to this day continues to call occasionally. If you're really looking into travel I can PM you the info of my guy and you can see if he's right for you.

We're taking permanent jobs here in Vegas since wife had 1:7 every day on the floor and they're giving her an opportunity in CVICU, 1:2 or 1:3 and because the northwest job market is still total garbage. Probably just a few more years here, get her into a specialty then get to Portland hopefully.

If you have more specific questions go right ahead, these are just general impressions.