Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

TEAS V says I am in the 90% percentile of national and 87% of my program!

Applying to my program Friday :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

LordAnkh posted:

Hey how did you study for the test? I'm taking it next week. I just bought the McGraw Hill practice book and I'm going through it.

I studied more than a week :smug:

But seriously, I studied from xmas break to mid January because I had to get a good grade. I had the McGraw Hill 5 Practice Test book, and the ATI Study Guide. It was easyish stuff but I have been out of school a while so I was pretty rusty.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Roki B posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot. The pay is starting at 21.50 an hour and you may end up spending upwards of a grand a month on a one bedroom appartment

The gently caress? That seems outrageous for a lovely apartment. I live in a 2400 sq/ft, 5bedroom, 3.5 bath home that is 900 a month with a 15 yr mortgage...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Etrips posted:

Up here in Northern Virginia, you would be paying about $1300/month for a ghetto single bedroom apartment, and up to $2000/month for a nicer area.

That isn't surprising given proximity to DC. Minot is a place people go to die cold and alone.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Is that in ND?

No, Indianapolis. Guess I just assumed the midwest was supposed to have the lowest cost of living.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Forgot to tell the thread I got into my BSN program! :woop:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

nordavind posted:

I got bit by a psychotic patient today. It's a good thing we have tetanus shots in the medicine room, saved me a trip to the ER. Is it weird that these kind of situations make me love psych nursing?

ZOMBIES!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So what exactly is the hardest part of nursing school? I'm 3rd semester BSN and am pretty disappointed with pace.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just applied to a bunch of UAP positions! So excited to be a nurse peon :dance:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Nursing school question!

I am a guinea pig for a new curriculum that sounds like yours and it is so unfun. We have course objectives to go off of, hopefully you at least have those?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Guy Forget posted:

Am I fooling myself?

Yes, assuming you care about your education.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Guy Forget posted:

So I'm taking microbiology right now, and as I'm reading through the last chapters of the textbook I see a reference to gammaproteobacteria and realize that all knowledge about those classifications has fallen out of my head despite learning it earlier this same semester.

Am I going to need to know that sort of thing for real-world nursing work? (Or for the NCLEX?) Individual diseases and their related pathogens/symptoms/diagnostic signs I can learn and retain, but stuff like which pathogens are firmicutes versus which are actinobacteria doesn't stick, probably largely because the importance of it, if any, has not been impressed upon me.

Sounds like somebody is in a gen-ed microbiology and not a microbiology for healthcare professionals? In short, forget most stuff that seems outside your realm of caring for patients.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Roki B posted:

In short, remember everything you possibly can because an education is actually worth something and knowledge is a pursuit in its own.

Your brain only has so much room, gotta load up on the good stuff, not chaff in my opinion.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Guy Forget posted:

They're talking about how hard and confusing it all was, even though it's nothing more than basic algebra.

I had to teach a few people how to do this stuff and it is really just an aha moment for them and everything else clicks into place. If your professor didn't have them understanding the basics within two lectures they are a bad professor. It is just basic stoichiometry in my mind.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

K-Swiss "nurse shoe" guy checking in!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

White Chocolate posted:

First day of real clinicals and two people didn't show up in my group. 2/9 no call no show and there is no make ups scheduled for my group... Oh boy. One girl dropped out. So we are down to 63...

What. The. gently caress. Seriously, everyone in my school is tryhard as gently caress. It is impossible to get into the school so everyone is happy to go to class, and especially clinical.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I was surprised my university didn't even require a drug test. Guess they have never had a past issue to require it?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

School starts Monday the 25th!

A dosage exam I have to get 100% or disenroll happens Thursday the 28th!

Welcome back to Nursing School!!! :coffeepal:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Peach posted:

I'm a solidly average student. There are tonnes of my classmates that deserve this opportunity more!

Your classmates are eggheads, be happy for yourself!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Watches are dumb. Your thermometer probably has a timer function.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

White Chocolate posted:

The school asked for a lot of fringe adverse effects on the last test.

They must not know about a real nurse having infinite drug resources at their fingertips while on the job...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Koala Food posted:

On a different note, the clinical scrubs that my program uses are pure white. Who decided this and why?

This reminds me of a clinical instructor who insisted on white scrub bottoms. Always knew her panty print of the day :barf:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

MurderBot posted:

I don't even know if NP schools accept students without any prior nursing experience??

Good ones do not. There is a minimum of 2 year experience required at my school, but they recommend more.

PhD's in nursing research on the other hand they promote doing right after BSN because field is vastly different.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So there's this app called Figure 1 that has really cool medical cases and discussion about them. It's a pretty great place to learn random medical stuff that you might not normally encounter in your field.

Edit: oh yeah, pictures on app are obviously :nms:

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 24, 2014

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

Fwiw, my clinical sites didn't allow IV push by any nursing students, even supervised. I imagine there's a reason for that...

I will always remember my first clinical. Taking report, going to med room to retrieve IV Push Morphine and going to repack GSW's. I love inner city clinical sites!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

ED nurses are pretty much the worst.

I hear this pretty often. It makes me sad because the field interests me a lot (5th semester student). Could you elaborate a bit? My dream job is working lifeline (helicopter nurse) but I want to do ER in preparation for that.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Jamais Vu Again posted:

I got 100% on the last exam

I could swing this before nursing school. I am happy with a B- nowadays. :feelsgood:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

:siren: FINALS WEEK! :siren:

Med Surg 1 and OB/Communtiy

See you goons on the other side!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

This semester is going to be brutal. Third week and I already am stressing like it's finals week :barf:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

This is 4th Nursing (6th overall), It's Med Surg 2, Psych, and Research. My other semesters there has always been that one class with a lot of assignments, but this semester all 3 classes and their associated practicums have assloads of assignments and presentations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Annath posted:

and I make her lunch every clinical day.

The gently caress? I need to trade in my girlfriend for you.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Was always skeptical of that stuff but might have to give it a go

It works, I should probably get back on it to be honest.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I have survivor's syndrome after that cardiovascular Med Surg 2 exam. :psyboom:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Nurse & Nursing School Megathread: You are dumb.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

EHR CHAT!

Cerner - sucks so bad
McKesson - sucks less
Epic - sucks least

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

"I don't wanna give tax money to Obama so he can take away our guns" :tinfoil:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Etrips posted:

My hospital has been giving a high census bonus. So it basically goes: base pay + night diff + weekend diff + overtime + high census bonus ($20/hr)

Feels good man.

Holy poo poo, how high does census have to be for a $20/hr bump? That is crazy.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Lava Lamp posted:

but yes nursing school sucks and i hate it so much.

Empty quote to the moon and back.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My friend who was organizing a nurse union got fired yesterday. Discuss why or why not to have nursing unions.

http://www.ibj.com/articles/52528-iu-health-fires-nurse-who-was-part-of-union-organizing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just got hired on a PCU floor! :woop: