Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I have some very nice matching white Beovox Redline 60.2 to go with it. They're just not set up right now because of space constraints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Glad someone is taking care of 212s. I just threw out a cosmetically beautiful one I picked up at a flea market, but the belt had gotten so old it had liquefied and covered EVERYTHING under the platter. I tried cleaning it, but I just had to give up.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Picked up a defective Beosound Ouverture with Beolab 2500 speakers for $50. I think it's the fourth or fifth one I've owned.

Two swipes over the laser lens with a q-tip, and it plays perfectly.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

mango sentinel posted:

I'm about to get my in-laws ancient stereo setup.

It's a Sanyo TP 420 and a full set of other mid 80s Sanyo components. No idea what the Speakers are yet. The components have hellaciously faded and cloudy plastic bits like this (same models, not mine)

Haven't been able to test anything but I assume I it's mostly broken. I'm confident enough in my tinkering ability to repair the turntable and maybe the speakers if need be but fixing the other components may be beyond my ken.

You can use plastic renewer like you would on car bumpers to clean it somewhat up. Also dish soap to clean off dirt first.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Discernibly Turgid posted:

If there’s any interest I can share a couple of those.

:justpost:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Great finds the last few days, I picked up a Beocenter 8500 in great working condition for $50, with the usual problem of the front glass having come loose. I spent all of Sunday trying double sided tape from a craft store to reattach it, but it didn't last. Will have to source some 3M bathroom tape or similar.

Yesterday I hit the jackpot and got a fat stack of equipment. JVC and Sonys top-model VCRs, Pioneer CLD-M5 laserdisc player, Sony MDS-JB920 minidisc, Sharp MD-R3 Minidisc+CD changer, Pioneer DV-656a DVD player and a few more things that aren't as interesting.

The main event though were these, Sony APM-22ES speakers:

They sound absolutely incredible!

I have only tested the speakers so far, will work on the rest of it today.

Not a bad haul for $100

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Taking the opportunity to show off my Sony stack that I finally finished collecting from classifieds and flea markets. It'd be easy to put together something nicer, but not something this nice for cheaper. Lots of dust and battle scars, but that's part of the charm.

Will be matched with the Sony APM speakers I posted earlier.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Proving once again that the improvised setup is always the best setup, a BeoSound Ouverture, BeoLink Passive and my newly acquired KEF LS50 on some ancient stands:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

TooLShack posted:

Sold my Minidisc player awhile back and regretted it, I was lucky last week and found a Sony MZ-RH1 for 75 bucks. Now to make mix discs again!

Anyone else play with Minidisc?

Very much so

Edit: Might as well throw in my new home office setup after I tidied up a bit. I have a Chromecast Audio connected to the optical in on the Minidisc player, so it acts like a DAC, which until I hook up my speakers makes this an extremely unnecessarily complicated streaming/headphone amplifier setup.

Also, the tape deck needs new belts, and they are not easy to swap on this one :(

evobatman fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 26, 2021

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I messed around with recording from Spotify to minidisc via optical on the Chromecast Audio yesterday. Turns out it does not separate tracks like playing from a CD player does.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

strtj posted:

Wasn't there some sort of explicit signaling from the CD player to the MD recorder in order for that track separation to work correctly? Or was it just detection of complete digital silence? It's been a really long time since I've had to deal with any of this.

Also lol at recording from a lossy digital audio source onto a lossy digital audio medium. You might as well just encode an MP3, then reencode that same MP3.

Would you have preferred my SACD to cassette tape setup?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Did someone say square woofers?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I think they may have made even larger ones. These are APM 22ES from the mid 80s. They absolutely do sound different and interesting, in the very best positive meaning of ways. Very deep and well controlled. I haven't been able to push them to the limit due to living in an apartment building, but so far they have played anything and everything I've thrown at them really well, and haven't sounded stressed. I guess that's just an advantage of displacing a lot of air.

They were meant to go with my previously posted ES stack, but I don't have room for it anywhere right now :(

The stands are generics, and pretty old.

That minidisc/APM setup is adorable!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
After a nearly 5 year hunt, I finally got a reasonably priced pair of Beolab 8000s yesterday, with a bonus Beosound 2300 CD player. Haven't had much time to test them out today, but I will hook up my streaming solution consisting of a Chromecast Audio connected via optical to a Sony MDS-JB920 later today and let all the neighbors know that I have new speakers.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Kneel before the monolith.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
It's been a while since I posted any finds, since the pandemic and having a home life I was happy with reduced my treasure hunts quite a bit. I couldn't let this find pass me by though!

One of the true original characters of my city runs a diner and lunch place near where I work, and when looking him up, he said that he like selling his handpicked decor, so I made him an offer on this: A Tandberg Huldra 12!

It's been beatifully conserved under a thick layer of grill grease, so after a good cleaning, it came out spectacular! The pots will still need cleaning, but just look at it!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

How do ppl feel about TEKTON? I see a lot of people that absolutely swear by them and a lot of people that dismiss their stuff as little more than glorified Dayton Audio kit speakers covered in automotive paint

I happen to like their aesthetic and I don’t really care about who supplies the drivers/etc insomuch as they’re good and do their job, but like are they good speakers? Should you buy them?

If you're curious, just buy a preowned pair so that you can sell them again without losing much money if you don't like them.

A bunch of them were featured in the latest Audiophiliac viewer system videos, so for what it's worth, audiophiles like them.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Picked up a Bluesound Powernode 2 at a thrift store. I've tried it on my Bose 301 Vs and Sony APM-22ESs. It pisses me off just how good this thing that is barely bigger than three DVD covers stacked actually is.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Feels Villeneuve posted:

aww. it's just kinda cool, honestly.

i also want to get an SACD player at some point even if SACD has like barely any audible advantage over redbook outside of surround. just like weirdo formats actually being used

You can get DVD/SACD players all over the place for cheap, because people think they are just DVD players. Pure SACD players usually cost more, because audiophile brainvirus.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Buy a 3000 hz testing tape from eBay. Your tape decks have pots inside them where you can adjust playback and record levels and speed. Get a frequency counter app for your phone to check and adjust the speed, use the volume meters to check that you have adjusted playback on both channels to the same level. Look up a reference signal on youtube, feed it to your tape decks through your phone, and adjust the record levels so that they are even.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

olives black posted:

Update: Just got the test tape and threw it in the Nakamichi BX-100. Yeah, the left channel is WAY off.

There are level adjustment pots inside your tape deck. Google a service manual to find them. That's where you adjust the output volume of each channel to make them even,

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Once I started buying decent CD players with Sony and Philips-based mechanisms, decades old discs that I thought were rotten and scratched beyond hope played perfectly fine. Most CD players are fairly simple mechanically and electronically too, and easy to service. It will still be a long time before there is any serious danger of the technology dying out.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
xpostin' from GBS

My home office is done, so my Sony stereo finally got its forever home:

The tape deck is connected to the minidisc player, which is connected digitally to the Powernode, which powers the actual speakers. The Sony amplifier is just for looks right now. It really is ridiculous just how versatile and good the Powernode is.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

afen posted:

Some of my cool stash:

I love it all!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

afen posted:

Thank you! I really love 80s and 90s hifi with wood panels. I'm dreaming about a Sony TA-N77ES, but they're somewhat costly. Just look at it:

May I show you my Sony things?

This is hopefully its forever home in my home office:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

My mom has an old cabinet-stereo system like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0fTuKAQ6fk

The record player stopped working, and repair shop my mom tried to use said these were low quality and not worth fixing. Given that I'm looking for a replacement record player, probably new.

The system uses RCA connectors on the back that seem to be common on modern record players still. I didn't see an obvious way to power the new player from the system but I might doublecheck. If not I'll just have to fish the new one's power cord through the cabinet.

Any recommendations for a basic but solid replacement?

e: added pictures

These record players were dirt simple. If you just open it up it might be immediately visible whatever is the cause of it not working. It already doesn't work and you already know that nobody else will fix it, it's not like you have anything to lose by messing around with it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Matt Zerella posted:

Hi folks, any recommendations for a phono preamp?

I found my SL1200mk2 with a M44G cart. It still works great. I'm using it for sampling into my MPC and listening so I've got speakers and a mixer but I want to get it up to line level.

I'm not a hardcore audiophile but I don't mind spending a little for a good preamp say under 200? It doesn't need USB or BT. Just good quality sound.

Also the stylus is quite old but it looks like these carts are discontinued. Are the aftermarket styli any good or should I pick up a new cart?

You've already gotten some good recommendations, but I'll add the NAD PP2/PP2e/PP2i, I've had a couple and always been happy with the sound from them.