Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Anyone know where I could get a dustcover for my sl-1200mk2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
I won a Pioneer SX-770 blackface for really cheap on Ebay but am wondering on how to plug in the speakers since it has these strange speaker plug thing.

Here's a photo for reference:
http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/Salvage_Hi_Fi/Pioneer_SX-770_Stereo_Receiver_salvage.jpg

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

muckswirler posted:

Solder spade connectors on the ends and shove em in there.

Would something like this work?
http://www.amazon.com/Atlona-Spade-Connectors-1-Pair/dp/B000PER2CK/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244651876&sr=1-22

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
I have a Pioneer SX-770 blackface model and I want to be able to play music from my computer with it. Right now what I have is

Computer > 3.5mm stereo plug to 2 RCA Jack Cable > TC-750 preamp > Aux on the receiver.

The sound that comes out doesn't sound as good as the turntable phono and it's not really listenable unless at really really low volumes even then the bass sounds heavier than it should be and the vocals come out pretty thin.

I'll try again but from what I remember not using the TC-750 preamp I couldn't get any sound to come out. I'm using a Unibody MacBook Pro for reference.

I also have a presonus firepod and I'm wondering if using that somehow would make things better?

The speakers I have are $50 Sony bookshelf speakers.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

BattleHork posted:

That preamp is only for plugging a turntable into a line input.

If you couldn't get any sound plugging the laptop directly into the Aux input for some reason, try the Tape input.

Yup that did the trick. Thanks!

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Edit: Got sound to come out

but

What are the recommended axis settings on the tonearm of a technics 1200 mk2 with a shure m97xe

Peacebone fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 3, 2011

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
I have an pioneer sx-770 blackface model and i currently have some cheap sony bookshelf speakers plugged into the A channel. My parents just moved and they found a no name subwoofer probably from some 5.1 surround sound dvd box set thing. I was wondering if I could plug the speaker wire into the B channel or would that be a bad idea.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
I just got and installed an Ortofon 2m Red upgrading from my Shure m97xe. When turning on the receiver and turntable I notice there is a light static noise and little pops. I didn't notice this on my old cartridge and am wondering what it could be. The turntable is grounded correctly. I put on a record and things sound fine, but am wondering if this is normal to hear when not playing anything. Also is the recommended tracking force 1.5g or 1.8?

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Rechecked all connections, and everything is firm. The sound happens even when my turntable isn't on, just my receiver. But the sound isn't there when I switch to a different channel than phono so something is messed up with it. I'll try to upload a small vid of the popping noises later

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

longview posted:

Does it happen even if you disconnect the turntable completely or ground the inputs? In that case it's probably a bad solder joint, the scratching is caused by thermal expansion making the connection points move.

It doesn't happen when you disconnect the turntable. I think it might be the cabling on the headshell that connects to the cartridgel (red,white, green, blue) because I switched back to my old cartridge and got same problem. I might have pulled it the wrong way or something when installing the ortofon.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
My Pioneer SX-770 right channel doesn't work anymore on the right channel for both A + B. My question is it worth it to try to repair it, and if so what are the best options for going about that? Or should I just buy a new receiver. I did a cleaning with deoxit last night, but that didn't change anything.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
I'm looking to upgrade my speakers soon as I've been using just a set of $50 sony bookshelf speakers for a long time. Anyone have any experience with the Audio Engine P4 Speakers . Looking to spend midrange 250-400 at most. Any other speaker suggests are welcome. My setup is a Technics 1200mk2 going into a Pioneer SX-770.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
I was talking to a guy I work with who is a audio speaker enthusiast/audiophile. He was telling me that you should leave on receivers all day to make it sound good. I have a Pioneer SX-770 that I turn on when I want to play a record and turn off when I'm done. Is what he's saying true or total bullshit.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Looking to upgrade from the Ortofon 2m Red. I've previously owned a Shure 97xe before it. Not looking to really spend more than $200. I'm eyeing the Audio Technica AT440MLA as well as the less expensive AT120, but that doesn't seem like that much of an upgrade from the 2M Red.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
It was the first cartridge I had and was fine. After a couple years with it I decided to change to the Ortofon. I feel like the Ortofon is a bit better but the difference isn't that significant to be honest. I've had the Ortofon for a couple of years and now I'm ready for something else.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Theoretically if a turntable is setup property when you raise the tonearm up and then back down on the record it should be in the exact same spot, correct?

I have a SL-1200mk2 and if I'm playing a record and then raise the tonearm and drop it back down it goes back a tiny bit each time.

I know my tone arm is setup and balanced correctly, and my anti-skate is the same weight as my counter-balance weight. I'm doing about 1.8g with ortofon 2m red.

I can see the black piece of plastic that pushes my tone arm up when I move the lever slides a very tiny bit when going up and then back down. Perhaps that is loose, any way to tightening it?

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is it worth putting any effort in considering it's a completely unnecessary function?

haha I suppose so this is just nitpicking. I could have sworn I use to have it to where if I pulled up to pause a song it would go back when I made the lever go down.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
What should the next upgrade in my setup be?

I have
Technics SL-1200MK2 Turntable
Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge
Pioneer SX-770 Receiver
Pair of JBL ES30 Speakers

I'm looking for something to upgrade the sound. I thought about getting a different cartridge such as Audio Technica AT-440MLA or Denon DL-110

I listen to a variety of genres: indie, alternative, rock, hip-hop, electronic, folk-country

I've also wondered if getting a tube preamp such as pro-ject tube box would increase the fidelity a lot. Just trying to gauge where my weakest link is, and what will bring an increase in change.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well I think yo---

I think the best upgrade would be a new listener.

haha..I'm asking because I have no idea if that poo poo is bullshit or it will actually help.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Is there an adapter of some sort that would take phono input to a receiver's phono input while also sending bluetooth of that feed to another speaker in the house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

BigFactory posted:

What are you trying to do? Listen to your record player in 2 zones, one of them on a bluetooth speaker?

Pretty much, yes. My current living situation, I can't run wire without it looking like a disaster. I have a Pioneer SX-770. This gives me the idea of putting a bluetooth transmitter on the headphone out to send to a bluetooth speaker. Probably have latency issues, and not work at all.