Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I got a Realistic STA-850 for free and it looks like it needs some work. It doesn't even turn on, I'm going to do some troubleshooting on it and try to get it in working order. Is this model any good? From google it looks like it was an old radioshack brand.

If I get it up and running I'm going to use it mostly for headphones, maybe if I upgrade the speakers on my main setup I'd get it to drive them.

Here's my modern set up right now:

-Pioneer Elite SA6 2ch Receiver
-Rega RP-1 Turntable
-Paradigm Monitor 7 Tower Speakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

I second the LOD cable. Had no idea it was called that, but it's what I use too. With a 3.5mm to RCA adapter into the aux-in on the receiver, that's the best you can do.

I had no idea this existed, going to have to buy a few. It seems the average price at most places is $50 for them and even more for RCA instead of 3.5mm.

Maybe I'll have to butcher a few so I can bypass the 3.5mm to RCA cable.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I picked up a NAD 3020i integrated amplifier last night from a local guy. It was a great price the guy dropped it when he was going to take a picture of it online. The only damage is the front face peeling off. I bought it for a garage stereo I want to build.

I still need to pick up some bookshelf speakers for it, but I tried it out on my fairly new Paradigm Monitor towers. It sounds really nice, I want to say an 80s sound, but I was born in 89 so that's just a guess. I still prefer my newer amp on these towers, the sound is a lot more clear. I set up my turntable to the NAD and while it sounded nice, it seemed to amplify alot of pops and cracks. My newer amp doesn't experience it. Is it maybe that newer amps/preamps have a filter to try to elimnate some of this?

EIther way, I'm on the lookout for some nice retro bookshelfs to pair with this thing so I can get some tunes in the garage.

edit: still dusty in this pic, hadn't been used in a while and still in the original box.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

JohnnyWarbucks posted:

Not sure if it's the right place to ask, but does anyone have a recommendation for a place to sell medium-range speakers? I have an older pair of B&W bookshelf speakers and some new Orb Audio speakers I need to sell, but I don't think I'd get the best price from Craigslist and I hate having to pay eBay fees. Thought about listing them in SA Mart, but wasn't sure if it'd reach the right audience.

Where are you located? canuckaudiomart.com is great if you're in Canada, I think it may have a US section.

edit: Yes it does have a US section.

Meow Meow Meow fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 23, 2013

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I finished building my record bin, unfortunately I'll be moving in about a month so it'll stay in the garage unused until my new place.

Here's the speakers I built with the Pioneer SX 3800 I picked up a few months ago. It sounds really good, it's so true that tuners were built better on these old receivers, myself and my girlfriend love how the radio sounds on this stereo.

Meow Meow Meow fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 27, 2013

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I like your setup. I think that's an SX-3800 though, not a 780.

You're right, thank you. It's not at my house so I took a guess at the model no.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Wow your girlfriend is all over that receiver. :cawg:
But, seriously, I have major receiver envy and will henceforth embark on a quest to replace my old 80's Hitachi.
Where did you find/how much was it?

Picked it up on kijiji for $60. Old guy had 6 or 7 old receivers he was trying to get rid of.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Anyone have any recommendations for a cheap 2 channel audio selector switch? I want to add a set of speakers to my kitchen and use the amp in my living room, but I'll need a selector switch for when i want to listen to one of the other.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

TooLShack posted:

Amp doesn't have speaker A or B?

No, I found a couple A/B switches on ebay. I'll probably pick up one of those. I picked up the new speakers today, they're the little brothers to my Paradigm Monitors, the Mini Monitors. These will be going in the kitchen once I get the A/B switch and some more cable. They sound pretty good, definitely a better bass response than I was expecting, but they don't have that sustained bass of the towers, more of a punchy bass.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I recently inherited my grandparents old AM/FM/SW radio, it's a Panasonic RF-2200. My Dad bought it for them for Christmas in 1978. I always thought it was so cool growing up when my grandma would have Finnish radio stations playing on it (we're in Canada). When I saw my Dad had it in his storage room on my last visit I asked for it. I am not really into AM/SW, but the FM tuner sounds really good (better than the one on my modern Pioneer receiver) and I think the radio itself looks so neat so it's earned a spot as my kitchen radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I figured I would replace the veneered particleboard side panels on my receiver as the veneer is chipping off. I milled a couple of nice walnut boards to size, then when I went to remove the side panels I found out that they attach to the top panel as well. Making my simple 1 hour project much more significant. Still thinking of what I want to do, the top panel has some plastic venting on it that I'm not sure I'd be able to remove and re-use, so I may just leave it as is.

Here's the culprit: