Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I was buying the CD player 2 with the cassette deck 2 for 5$ each but some old mom grabbed it randomly while I had pulled it from the shelf and ran to the checkout and bought it. I was flabbergasted that someone would do that at a thrift store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Whatever my sega dreamcast has much higher fidelity when playing pink floyd lp's.

I've heard of the PS cd player/audiophilia thing and yes, they are stupid.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Seen this table posted a few times on Craigslist

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ele/2724410509.html

A guy I know was saying they might be asking a little too much for it, but I figured I'd ask around here to see if anyone has any opinions on it. I've seen the Project Debut III brought up a few times, but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the 1.2. I could probably get this thing for pretty cheap considering I'm planning on selling a couple things soon myself.

Crap turntable for the price. That's a high price for that table and even at the normal price I'd go for something better.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Hey.. so the right channel periodically goes out on my marantz 2230 on the phono stage. I'll unplug the right channel out cable, plug it back in and wiggle it, and it will work. Think its the TT, cable, or receiver? If I plug my laptop into aux in sometimes the same right channel is fuzzy unless I wiggle the cable in the laptop and it fixes it.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

crazyfish posted:

The number one problem I've seen with old Marantz receivers is some combo of corroded/dirty pots and the speaker relay. Both can be fixed with some deoxit, but the speaker relay is kind of tricky. You have to take the cover off the relay and get at the contacts with some very fine sandpaper. It's a little tricky, but it made my 2240 perform beautifully afterward.

edit: But yeah, check on the cables first for sure.

I've never done the deoxit thing, link or explanation for both of those?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Are you talking about the Debut III (link was deleted)? What would you recommend "at the normal price?"

It was the 1.2.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Someone called and is selling a Linn LP12 for 500, mid 80's model with no suspension but included is a new suspension package, no arm but everything else. Thoughts? I need 45.. I should just get a 1200.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Ghumbs posted:

How much are you looking to spend on a tonearm?

The thing is I'd have to buy a power supply that can do 33/45 which is like 2-300 then a tonearm which will probably be another 2-400 and that's well above anything I need or care about. Its a deal for a LP12 but I don't think I'm the guy who needs an LP12. I should just buy a 1200mk2 because I'm a punk record hermit.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Ron Burgundy posted:

I still feel that turntables that can't at least do 33/45 right out of the box are essentially feature crippled.

I also think having to switch the belt from one step to the next just to play a 45 is the biggest pile of poo poo ever. There's DIY turntables where you hit a button and it flashes the motor with the right wave through audio waveforms or some poo poo, a dude did it on a 50$ budget with motorcycle parts.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Goldmund posted:

Merry Christmas to me!

Marantz 2230, sounds amazing.

Yay! If it hasn't been serviced in a while you'll probably want to recap it and replace the power button switch because it is a PITA to replace but I love my 2230 to death.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Picked up a technics sld202 for 5$ randomly helping a friend buy a table on craigslist, replacing my ancient piece of poo poo toshiba. Great shape altho cosmetically a bit ugly, spent 20 minutes tearing it apart and cleaning it, looks new!

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

aricoarena posted:

Is it bad to leave a record spinning after its finished playing? I looking to get a new turntable that might not have auto return and sometimes I fall asleep, or I'm reading, basically Im lazy as hell. Is it bad for the needle to keep spinning on that last loop?

Yeah, but it happens. My SLD202 has auto return but only works half the time.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

primitive posted:

So I'm having a strange problem with zeroing / tracking with my SL-1200.

I'm using an Ortofon OM 10 cartridge in a Sumiko headshell. The headshell comes with a little lever you're supposed to attach and use to place the arm on the record that must only weigh a gram, but whenever I have it attached I have to move the counterweight out from the little detent and I can't get the drat thing zeroed, it skates out unless I crank the anti-skate out to 3g.

Will I do any damage by simply grabbing the tonearm to place the cartridge on the record? If not, why do those levers exist?

**** ALSO SOUND PROBLEMS ****

For some reason things are sounding a bit bright and tinny, is that a cartridge alignment issue?

That's messed up. You can balance the tonearm and set the antiskate if you don't have the little finger-lift attached? I mean, you can definitely use the table without it, but that little part would never effect things that much.

Can you take a few pictures of the tonearm, lift/lever and headshell/cart? The weight of that little lift is so unnoticeable you shouldn't really have to rotate the counterweight more than a hair unless I'm thinking of the wrong thing.

My experience with those orts is that they're "brighter" in that they sound very clean and loud, noticeably so more than other carts I've used. I like em, you get used to it, eventually switched back to grado's.

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

I'm wondering if I've done enough damage to my stylus where it would need to be replaced. First off, I have a Dual 1246 automatic belt drive. Not sure how standard this is with other automatics, but there's a start/stop switch and an up/down switch for the tonearm. Flipping the start switch while the tonearm switch is in the "down" position will move the tonearm to the starting location for a 12" (or 7" if you have the 45 option on), and the arm will drop. Flipping the start switch while the tonearm switch is in the "up" position will move the arm over the starting location until you flip the tonearm switch to the "down" position.

This is great for a 12" record, but it kind of sucks for a 10" record. Unfortunately I have thrown one of my 10" records on when I've had a few beers, and there have been about 3 or 4 times where I didn't notice the tonearm switch was in the "down" position. As a result, the arm drops, rubs against the rubber slipmat for a second or two, kind of rubs against the platter, and then falls off but doesn't land on the base.

I can't really tell if my records sound noticeably different, but I was wondering if I should look into replacing the stylus since it might be damaged enough to warrant doing so. I don't know if a damaged stylus can also damage your records, so is that something I should be concerned about too?
I think the clear solution is throw out your 10" records.. what the hell is good on a 10" besides my hawkwind bootlegs I never play anyway because they're 10"?

Yes damaged stylus can hurt your records, if you're a cheapo (like me) you can try sighting your needle and making sure its not obviously skewed in any direction but yeah its probably screwed up. That little tiny needle rides in grooves you can't even see and chances its blunted or not happy are high. In my reply I've just guilted myself into replacing my own stylus now because I know its actually a little abused...

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Dang those are beauts, congrats

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I don't clean my records. I'm too loving lazy. How do you have the time to listen to them if you're cleaning them? I have a lot of records :(

I mean, I buy records from everywhere under piles of poo poo and I can see they are dirty. If they're hosed I won't play them but once in a while I'll find a cool record with a wash of 2 decades of some hoarder's bile on it and rinse it in the sink keeping water away from the center label, but that's it.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Yep. Your receiver looks old and grimy. Get some pipe cleaners or some cheap small stiff brushes from the hardware store and buy DeOxit.

5oz of 5% deoxit is 10$ on amazon

The two pack of deoxit/deoxit gold at radio shack is 15$.. but it is only 1/2oz each... 15$/oz compared to 2$/oz on amazon...

DeOxit Gold is apparently tuned for gold plated connectors. I don't think its necessary, the contact cleaner is all you care about and brushing the crud off.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'd spring for the ball rather than trying to wonkily balance three feet. Don't believe the audiophile hype. Cheap is your friend.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

nrr posted:

Crosspostin, cos maybe you vintage guys will have a bit more knowledge about this.

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/1070.html

Its nice. Ask what he's done to it, if the lamps and caps have been replaced its a great unit. If he just "got it working" then 50$ sounds fine. It boils down to what you're willing to pay for and he said to make an offer, so offer something you're comfortable parting with. If he knows you're thrifting junk receivers I don't think he's going to be insulted giving him a non-audiophile offer. Its not an audiophile receiver anyways.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

nrr posted:

Cool, thanks for all the advice guys! Looks like I got real lucky, cos the guy called me back, told me he managed to fix up the Yamaha, and then told me I could just have the Marantz anyway and all he wanted was $20! I asked him if he was sure, and he seems super cool with it, so I guess I'll just wait and see what kind of condition it's in when he drops it off tomorrow. Either way it looks like a pretty damned good deal to me.

Good to see you not losing your mind over Clod for a change, Blistex :)

There you go, nice. If the Marantz needs work its probably just the caps which you can do yourself.

I keep forgetting to look these up but does anyone know the hi-fi tonearm resetters, I think Rega might have made them, anyways its just a spring in a little plastic housing that kicks the tonearm back to the start on non-auto tables and its approved by dumb hifi magazines. Probably from the 80s or 90s? Maybe earlier.

FOUND IT. This isn't the one I originally saw, my boss has one on his nicer table, but they work great.

http://www.thequp.com

Don't buy this one, 60$ is a scam but he said he got it for ~15$.

Thorens made the original QUP I guess, there's an Audio Technica one (6006a) but they are going for 170 on ebay. drat I guess this was harder than I thought. If anyone finds a cheap source please post it.

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 9, 2012

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Coca Koala posted:

I'm in Rochester NY; I swung by the main record place yesterday to see if they sold vintage turntables, but didn't have any luck. After your suggestion, though, I searched for vintage audio stores in the area and found this place, so I'll check them out on Monday and hopefully they'll be able to help me.

Ha! Used to live there. Dunno what record stores are still around but Rochester and surrounding areas have HUGE vinyl junkies everywhere. Look on craigslist in the city and surrounding areas all the way out to buffalo, its all really close driving distance and every goddamn house in western new york is brimming with great vintage vinyl.

If you don't see what you like put an ad up, wanted: used record player, 40$. If you're looking for a nice one at a pricepoint or a specific one mention it.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

It takes 1/2hr per record side alone and the insane cost of wood glue. You could yknow, wash your records for a lot less.

I have somewhere near 3,000 records. That's a lot of time and glue. If you give them a nice clean brushing before playing as you take em out that's a lot easier to roll with.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Dumbledore 64 posted:

So I've been using the stock rubber turntable mat with my turntable for years. Recently I've gotten the urge to do some upgrades, so I got what seems to be a universally acclaimed mat. The Herbie's Way Excellent II mat: http://herbiesaudiolab.net/ttmat.htm

I went with the 3.7 mm version and also splurged and got his SuperSonic Record Stabilizer to go with it.

I've always seen people talk about the difference special mats and stabilizers make, but I've never heard it for myself. When it arrives, I'll make some recordings and then try some blind tests. I'll post the results here too, if anyone is interested.

That stuff won't change your setup. What needed upgrading? If you have cash to burn you can always get new speakers or something.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

He basically made a donut mold and poured JB Weld in it, and sold it for 30$. Its stupid. I get what the point of record clamps and such are but if you are going to start investing in lunacy make it yourself or don't pay 100$ for fictitious upgrades. Put that 100$ in a jar towards a fancier stylus or something.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

pork never goes bad posted:

Did you do these tests blind, or knowing which was which?

Hahaha right. The only thing that matters. People, if you want to make claims, do so but have someone set up a real test. Its like that speaker wire test where someone cabled up six different stereos with things like monster cables, bare coat hangers, radio shack wire, and 5,000$/ft cable. No one could tell which was which.

The litmus test for me is "does it cost money." If the answer is yes, its bullshit. If you just want to spend the money on things to spend the money, fine.. but its not worthwhile. You can spend it elsewhere, and actively buying this stuff only encourages the whole sham audiophile community. Sincerely, a cheap jerk.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

The first part was about how in adequately controlled double blind tests most people can't tell gently caress all from anything.

The second part was that I am personally a cheap jerk and my litmus test is if it costs over the threshold of what I'm willing to spend it is worthless, which I don't think is actually that ridiculous.

I don't have a super nice setup. I have a pair of speakers I built myself, my parents pair of polk 5jr's, an inexpensive auto turntable, grado green cart, and a marantz 2230 I found in the trash and fixed up. I have worked in a shop where we built 1-8,000$ mono or stereo tube systems, so I've been exposed to the crazier things, as well as building expensive custom speakers (based on simple 200-300$ german drivers that can't be beat).

Why do you need oxygen-free copper as opposed to regular? If you double blinded it, you wouldn't notice the difference, hell you wouldn't notice the difference between the two cables in 20 years by visual inspection.

I just think its important to balance fanatical audiophilia tendencies with rationality aka "will this actually make a real difference."

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Post pictures. On my current project the previous owner "soldered" something and when I examined it the connection was just a wire wrapped loosely to its connection, they had no idea that wasn't "soldering."

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

metaxus posted:

I complained a little while ago about the my Pro-ject RPM1 running slowly, and had an idea the other day on how to "fix" it.

The Pro-ject's AC synchronous motor, like most others, determines it's rotational speed from the power supply frequency, not the voltage, by using a pair of coils run above and below a permanent magnet attached to the rotor.

As mine was running slowly, and I couldn't change the 50Hz line frequency, I devised a way to make my own, and give me very fine control over the motor speed (within reason).

Normally the Pro-ject's motor uses a bipolar capacitor to "fake" the phase inversion for the second coil (energizing them alternately is what causes the rotor to spin), so I guessed that I could treat the two coils like a pair of speakers and control them using a pair of sine waves generated from an external source, and boosted to a high enough voltage by an audio amp.

Combine audacity on the laptop and a cheap 20W class D amplifier from eBay, and I have a rock solid, stable turntable with zero speed drift.

(blue and white are the top coil, red and yellow are the bottom one)

After a bit of tweaking, I found that 50.75Hz was the frequency at which the lines on my strobe disc didn't move.

The next step is coming up with a slightly more portable source for the sine wave (I'm thinking a cheap MP3 player of some sort) and an amplifier that starts up at high volume for maximum torque when spinning up the platter and ramps down afterwards to minimize any vibration in the motor.

I also finally got around to rebuilding the gainclone into a much nicer rack case salvaged from a very dead subwoofer amplifier:

Recalling you're a pretty big geek (positive way) have you seen the Altmann DIY turntable? This is like a much fancier/cooler version.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

izationalizer posted:

I also have a "spare" McIntosh MC2125 amp, a Marantz SD9000 cassette deck, and a Thorens TD 145 turntable in the closet. I have a hard time parting with this stuff, even when money is as tight as it is now.

Sell me the 145. I need a real turntable. You have a lot of nice things :mad: Those MC30s :3: jesus christ

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Hi I did something stupid

I saw a Braun PS550 on ebay for 17$ and bid sniped it at 50$. The only thing wrong was one of the hinge pieces was missing, something I can make myself. It was described as 100% working order but I haven't tested it because I need either a 5 pin DIN to RCA/ground or just solder in a connector.

Unfortunately the seller sells bicycles on ebay and shipped it without much thought. Luckily they removed the platter and stuff and mostly secured it but pieces broke off the lid and now I have a lid that will probably never work. I have no idea if I can find PS550 lids for anywhere near cheap especially in america :(

On the upside this is loving beautiful :D Sorry for cell phone quality.

Cover off

Bork cover :(

Anyways I need a replacement stylus, its a shure m95g, I was thinking a pfanstiehl, I dunno who else sells m95 replacements? Does anyone know 5 pin DIN pinout for phono if I want to solder in RCA?

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 22, 2013

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Excellent thanks. Posting on Radio Museum/Audio Karma/Vinyl Engine for lid replacements.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Unplug the left and then right cables- are you getting mono over both or mono over right, or what? It could be an issue with the cabling from turntable to preamp, the preamp, or the cabling from the preamp to the receiver. What's your receiver and what's the preamp?

If your antiskate is set too far on either side you'll probably get wonky sound in either channel, antiskate keeps the cart traveling in the center of the record groove. Turning it to either 0 or 3 will have it riding on one side of the groove, either left or right.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Crossposting myself from the NMD vinyl thread:

Yeah you'll be fine

ryangs posted:

The old fogey at the stereo shop also schooled me about playing with the dustcover off. I had no idea that could make such a dramatic difference. Kids, take your dustcovers completely off the turntable when you're playing. Same with slipmats: I had one on just for decoration. YMMV here, but if you've got a slipmat sitting on top of your platter just for looks, experiment with removing it.

If you listen to every old guy with a soap box at a used audio store you will be raving about the illuminati and "FLEA-BAY" in short time. Some people don't have dustcovers. Some do. Some people have 300,000$ turntables, some have free turntables. Do whatever works for you. Slipmats, as in non-rubber mats, are more a DJ thing than a casual/"AUDIOPHILE" thing.

peskyplumber posted:

What difference does playing without the dust cover make? I figured it would be better for the records if you just kept it on all the time.

Same difference spending 8,000$ on cable "lifts" makes. Subjective things that only you can tell.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

He simply wasn't a fan of the "West Coast" sound...

Sounds like a fun adventure. I love meeting local yokels, I went to Ikea this past Sunday and who do I see setting up a garage sale a block from me? David "Springa" Spring, he's been in Chicago for ages and I always see him around but now I live next to him. He's off his rocker though.

Alienwarez posted:

I've been collecting LP records in preparation for having enough disposable income to buy some entry level equipment, and now that I'm at that point it's time for me to ask about some poo poo that has probably been discussed many times in the thread.

I am primarily going to be listening to my music with my headphones, and I am starting out with no audio equipment whatsoever besides the headphones. I'm looking at getting either the Pro-ject Debut Carbon or the Denon DP-300f turntable and the TCC TC-750 phono preamp, and some sort of headphone amp for the bare-bones setup that I need to listen to my records.

Are there any recommendations for a headphone amp in a similar price category as the other equipment I've listed? Also, I might be totally wrong about what equipment I need, in which case I welcome any advice as to the best way to get the sounds off of the LPs and into my earholes.

Just to let you know you sound like you're already committed to spending a thousand dollars or so. You could just as easily buy a used automatic turntable for 30-75$, buy a new cart/stylus for it (~50$), buy whatever used amp with a phono stage comes your way (30-100$) and plug a pair of headphones into it. You will be very happy with that, I guarantee, until you figure out if you're a weird audiophile or not, whether you're an audio hoarder, or you just want to post on Head-Fi all day about boring kits.

If you want a barebones setup you will need:

1) A turntable. If you buy it new make sure it comes with a NEW, UNPLAYED cart. A cartridge is the whole housing that encompasses the needle and four interconnects to the tonearm, that'll probably already be set up or the store will set it up if you buy it new. A needle is just the actual "needle" that sits in the groove ususally connected to some plastic housing/gizmo that aligns it into the cartridge. A headshell is the housing that the cartridge mounts into, its just a thing that holds the cart in alignment on the tonearm.

You may need to buy a cartridge. If you're buying used, you NEED a replacement needle for your cartridge (post the cartridge here we'll help) or a new cartridge, which is usually the easier and just as cheap solution. The headshell comes on the turntable (usually, you won't have to worry about this).

2) An amp. Don't get a headphone amp if you're new. Or ever, but that's me. (edit- if you're totally serious about only doing headphones, build your own headphone amp, its really easy, or buy an inexpensive micro amp)Get an amp, literally any amp, that has regular RCA jacks on the front/back that are labeled "PHONO." Before you buy this, 100% make sure the amp does the following:

1) Plugs in to a power source, turns on, and all its buttons that you will use will work.
2) Powers speakers, a pair, and can play them loud enough that you become annoyed.
3) When you plug a turntable in to the "PHONO" stage and put a record on, the record is played as loud as the other functions of the amp (ie radio, if it has one, or at least as loud as it may annoy you). If the turntable has a ground, its nice if the amp has a ground connect on the back, but you can also connect the ground to the chassis.
4) Has a headphone jack, since you listen to headphones. Some will be 1/8" jacks, some will be 1/4", but you can get 50 cent adapters to fix that. Not a big deal.

Amps are usually not pretty, and they usually do not fit your decor, just get a cheap amp that sounds good to you to start.

3) Speakers. Two of them because your audio source is stereo, regular unpowered whatever speakers. Plug em in to your amp and play some music through them, turn them up as loud as it takes to annoy you. Do you hear anything that doesn't sound like the music you want to hear? Then don't buy them.

You can buy 3,000$ (or 15,000$) speakers that will introduce sound you do not want to hear so just get a cheap pair of speakers that WORK (ie are in sound condition) and that audibly/psychologically sound "right" to you. I seriously recommend listening to like 5-10 speaker pairs before even committing to a pair, just to realize speakers sound different.

You can do that for 150$, seriously, or you could get all new kit and blow a couple grand and also be really happy.

To add myself, my Braun PS550 is having its power board worked on and I will own the prettiest motherfucking turntable ever.

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 30, 2013

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Paperweight posted:

Up or down doesn't matter. On the turntable or completely removed from the turntable is what makes a difference. The thin plastic cover is amazingly good at picking up vibrations in the air and transferring them to the turntable itself. Just tap on it while playing a record. You can hear it through the speakers.

If you have problems with hair, buy a dry record brush. It's the single best investment you can make if you have more then a handful of albums or a stylus you care about. Also, they have an anti-static spray at your local grocery store on the detergent aisle. Spray your mat, the floor and the area around your turntable. The cork mat is not a bad idea. It won't hold a charge like a felt slipmat.

Audiophile bullshit, if you're worried about "vibrations in the air" you are off your rocker. If you tap on the cover while playing a record it might skip because you're hitting your turntable, it has nothing to do with the dust cover.

Anti static spray: http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7383-nordost-eco-3-anti-static-spray.aspx

"Lowers noise floor! Sound stage! (insert drivel)"

Ground your turntable, problem solved. If you get lots of dust trying cleaning your apartment more often. If you have gross records, clean them.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Dogen posted:

They make some insane claims but anti static spray does help prevent dust build up. The fluid in wet cleaning kits usually has some anti static stuff in it (I've never used the spray, myself).

Antistatic sprays or additives do actually do something, just not for audio or audio cables.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

So apparently a new radio station is broadcasting from a once defunct station like 1,000 feet from my house. I now get today's best pop hits through my Pioneer SX-780 when I'm using the aux input. I don't have an antenna or anything installed it just comes in, and not on any other input except aux. Does anyone know if this can be fixed?

What are you playing through the aux in?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's probably a computer or a smartphone/MP3 player connected to a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable.

There's definitely a crossover or interference of some kind, but no clue what would be causing it.

Could be ground loop interference, where you have a powered audio source on a different ground level as your amp, I *think* plugging both sources into the same surge protector might fix this?

People always say those ferrite cable clamps from radio shack help with RF but I don't know if that's fluff or not.

Longview put it much better.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

BANME, nice find!! I just picked up a Sansui QRX-3500. I'd have no use for quad, but its a decent amp.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

How would I go about finding a dust cover replacement for my braun ps 550? I'm monitoring eBay Germany but are there collector forums I could hit?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Blistex posted:

Finding an intact dust cover (the most likely thing to break on a turntable) is like some sort of grail quest.

I dunno why I didn't think of this before but I have pieces of a correct Braun PS 550 cover. I think I can just 3D print at work the mechanical part that connects to the springs and all, the part that always breaks, and just beef it up a bit, and in the print account for attaching a really simple acrylic box that fits the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

They're at ~$115 right now. I may just do it.

They are amazing. Get it.