Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Hey all, I'm looking to rip a lot of old LPs and 7"s, and I'd like to get some good equipment to do it. I have an old turntable (unsure how good it really is), that Chaintech sound card nerds are always talking about, but I need advice on how to rip records so that they'll sound good. I assume I'll need a good preamp, cartridge/needle... what else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

andretti posted:

What's the make and model of the turntable? That will help with the cart/needle question.

If you can't dig up a receiver with phono inputs, you'll have to get a preamp.
Turntable is a JVC, model JL-A20. How much does the quality of the turntable affect the final sound, if I get a good cartridge/needle?

I have a preamp already. Same question as the above.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I’ve been collecting records since 2011 and I’m at the point where I’d like to move up from the LP120/ProJect Debut-tier of tables. For me that’s always meant getting a 1200, and even at a grand without a headshell the Mk 7 appeals to me as an “endgame” table. Something like a Rega RP3 comes in at a similar price and I’d much rather go with DD.

This is so funny to me, as someone who's getting back into this after 8 years, because ten years ago I literally bought a 1200 because I couldn't afford a brand new Pro-Ject. Times change!

edit: speaking of which, I'm still using the Concorde cartridge it came with, including what I realize now is a mismatched Scratch stylus. What do people like these days, or am I better off just replacing the stylus?

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 18, 2019

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

What’s your budget? With a 1200 in good order the sky’s probably the limit in terms of good cartridges to try.

About $50 to $250 is probably the sweet spot in my opinion, that covers everything through the new AT range, the 2M Red and Blue, and stuff from other brands like Grado or Sumiko. Carts get way more expensive from there but I think at that point you start looking at diminishing returns and need to consider the quality of your other gear as well. Like once I’m dropping $1k on a cart I should already have rather expensive speakers and components.

$100 or less? I’m not that dude with the $40k system (check the vinyl thread)