Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe
Emotiva is a good place to look. You might also want to check out Ascend Acoustics (http://www.ascendacoustics.com/). I have some of their "low-end" CBM-170SE and they sound absolutely amazing. Ascend is definitely another good bang for the buck speaker brand, and they also have the 30 day trial period.

You can save some money by picking up their B stock speakers, too. From what I've heard a lot of people get flawless speakers somehow labeled as B stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

Thuel posted:

I'm in the process of putting together my first real music system. I'll mostly be using it for playing music off my laptop/ipod/turntable and mostly listen to indie rock and hip hop. I'd spend upwards of $1500, but I'm just really looking to get the best value. I've never been a fan of big ugly hi-fi equipment, so design is also important to me. When it comes to power and technical aspects, I'm just learning as I go along. So far I've found some things I like and some deals in my area, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've kind of fallen in love with the all around package of the Peachtree Nova, but the little brother the Decco is cheaper if it could accomplish what I need. The simplicity and design are really what I like most. As far as I know, I'll just need a phono stage to integrate my turntable. My worry is that it isn't designed with the turntable in mind and might not have enough power for decent speakers. I'm not against a vintage tube amp, but they just seem bulkier and require more care.

http://signalpathint.com/index.php/decco/the-decco.html

As far as speakers go, I'm looking at a used pair of B&W DM601 S3 which seem to be a good deal at $300. Would that amp be able to power that?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wow I can't believe I missed the part about the Decco. I have that amp myself and it will not disappoint at all. Don't worry. It is more than worth it for $500. I use it with the cbm-170SE's I mentioned above, which are 89db/w/m, compared to the 88db/w/m for the DM601s, and I have never had to turn it up past about a quarter to fill up my listening room, which is about 13x13.

Signal Path is a great company too. I bought a refurbed Decco about a year ago from listenup.com (also great guys) and it didn't work when it came. I called up Signal Path, and Dave Solomon himself answered the phone. I worked with him and Listenup and had my amp fixed in no time. Signal Path paid return shipping; hell, they even sent out the FedEx guy to my place to pick the thing up. It was pretty crazy to actually deal with the same guy I had read about in all the reviews of the amp instead of some nameless customer service monkey. If you are looking for a company with absolutely amazing customer service, you can't go wrong with the Peachtree.

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

Le0 posted:

I've been readin this thread and there are some good infos but you guys seem to be more listeners, I was wondering if there was a similar thread for DJ's? I have some question related to DJing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2791601

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe
My peachtree audio decco is giving me trouble when I turn it on. Usually, the amp turns on and the volume turns itself down until the tube warms up. While this is going on, whatever input I have selected is lit up on the front, and I can change inputs.

Today when I try to turn it on, the volume turns itself all the way up, all of the input lights light up and I can't change them. I let it sit for a while like this, and it never changed. I can hear the motor in the volume knob running, and even if I turn it down it still turns back up. I can't get any sound out of it.

Anybody have any ideas?

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm hoping you guys can help me with my new turntable. I just bought a whole new stereo system, with a AT-LP120 from Audio Technica. I put it all together and leveled it and balanced the tone arm and calibrated the stylus with a protractor from vinyl engine. Everything went smoothly afaik.

The problem is when I play anything on it I can see the woofers on my speakers just banging, like full extension, even when there isn't really even any bass on the track. The player is hooked up to the phono input with the preamp switch turned to phono on the table itself, but it also happens when I switch it to line and hook it up to another spot on my receiver. It's happened with 2 different records so far (all I have right now). I'm seriously worried I am going to damage my speakers. Anybody know what's up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

What happens when you use another source , like a CD player?

Works great. No problems on anything but the turntable.