Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Zombie Dictator posted:

Are you sure she's not a mix? I have a hard time seeing all corgi there.

Also, <3 Corgi's :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Long time no see, Corgi folks.

mdy: Your boy looked like a great sidekick. Sounds like the two of you had a hell of a time together. Sorry he's gone.

This is my Yoshi. He'll be 4 in about a month.

elf pr0n: did you go to the Corgi picnic in Melbourne back in November? Good times. Disturbing amount of homemade corgi-related clothing, but everyone was nice, and there were around 120 dogs.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 16, 2009

Samuel B
Dec 31, 2007
fancy
So much hate.

I really can't blame him.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
I have some new and incriminating pictures.

Firstly, Teddy Roosevelt Jr. being a smug little poofball at work:

And second, the glorious Pooptron family celebrating Christmas Morning in their new Christmas pajamas. Don't be jealous. That's how we roll son.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

SolanaSkyes posted:

Try adding some cottage cheese to your pup's meals, sometimes a little extra calcium helps get the ears up while they're teething. Also, I'd keep them taped for a full week, then off for 2-3 days and re-tape if necessary.

Thanks for the advice! We'll try to pick up some cottage cheese today or tomorrow. We're also thinking of supplementing her diet with more real bones. Yesterday we visited one of the local premium pet food stores, and on a whim picked up some frozen raw marrow bones.

She was in heaven. I think that's her first experience with raw bones (we feed her Innova puppy food). She chewed on one of those bones for like three hours last night. It was pretty awesome, I think that's the longest she's ever focused her attention on anything. Now I'm going to have to look into finding a butcher nearby...

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Bud Manstrong posted:

Long time no see, Corgi folks.

mdy: Your boy looked like a great sidekick. Sounds like the two of you had a hell of a time together. Sorry he's gone.

This is my Yoshi. He'll be 4 in about a month.

Oh man, I love his eyes.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
She knows all the words for food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTjk_2ex8Z8

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

anachrodragon posted:

She was in heaven. I think that's her first experience with raw bones (we feed her Innova puppy food). She chewed on one of those bones for like three hours last night. It was pretty awesome, I think that's the longest she's ever focused her attention on anything. Now I'm going to have to look into finding a butcher nearby...

Just don't overdo it. I gave my two their first raw a few days ago. It went swimmingly up until we left the next morning for work. While we were away, Zeke had puked up his raw all over his bedding and out his crate. Regurgitated raw smells worse than the worst animal diarrhea I've ever smelled. I am still catching whiffs of it, and everything near his crate was wiped down with bleach, all the bedding washed thoroughly, and he was wiped down from head to toe in baby wipes. Blech.

They get a lot of dried bones and treats, but their stomachs seem to tolerate the beef bones best. Anything richer than that and they get the shits or puke it up. The raw I gave them was a hunk of buffalo bone with only a small amount of meat on it. According to the lady at the premium pet food place, buffalo is about as well tolerated as beef usually is. Why it caused such havoc with my dogs, I do not know...

londerwost posted:

She knows all the words for food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTjk_2ex8Z8

:love:

Just wait til you have to start spelling it out. Works fine and dandy til they figure out what you mean even if you spell the word. And my pem's latest trick is to just stare at us until we feed him. No matter that dinnertime is 2 hrs away, he faces us, rests his head on the table, and stares. If he doesn't have success with me, he'll look at my husband. DRIVING ME NUTS.

Miss Indy fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 17, 2009

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.

Bud Manstrong posted:

elf pr0n: did you go to the Corgi picnic in Melbourne back in November? Good times. Disturbing amount of homemade corgi-related clothing, but everyone was nice, and there were around 120 dogs.

I live in Las Vegas now and the lack of corgis is astonishing :smith:

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I'm on the verge of getting one of these :3: but I feel guilty as it would be alone for about 6-7 hours a day -- I'm going to take the first 2 weeks with him off, so I'll be there for the start, it's just after that I need to work :v:

Would this be ok or am I a bad person if I get one? Would I need to get a dog walker? I've looked for an older corgi, but I can only find puppies available

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

Hirez posted:

I'm on the verge of getting one of these :3: but I feel guilty as it would be alone for about 6-7 hours a day -- I'm going to take the first 2 weeks with him off, so I'll be there for the start, it's just after that I need to work :v:

Would this be ok or am I a bad person if I get one? Would I need to get a dog walker? I've looked for an older corgi, but I can only find puppies available

6-7 hours a day isn't that bad, for an adult, but you will want to have a dog walker until its bladder grows bigger. But PLEASE OH GOD PLEASE use this forum every. step. of. the. way. while choosing a dog/puppy. Seriously.

Can you tell us a little more about your schedule?

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003

sucks to ur assmar posted:

6-7 hours a day isn't that bad, for an adult, but you will want to have a dog walker until its bladder grows bigger. But PLEASE OH GOD PLEASE use this forum every. step. of. the. way. while choosing a dog/puppy. Seriously.

Yeah, even in this thread, many of the dogs are poor quality/milled/bought in a pet store because people have no loving clue how to find a good quality dog from a reputable breeder starting from zero. Don't fall into that trap and run your leads on future dogs past us.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Does anyone know a quality Pembroke breeder in the Atlanta area, or maybe Vallhund? I have no qualms about driving 3-4 hours so South Georgia, South Carolina, Northern Alabama and Eastern Tennessee are fair game too. I'm looking at a house with a fenced .66 acre lawn and my wife and I will be on different schedules for a while which will work well with puppy training. I can't wait to be out of this apartment and into a house...

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003

Arzakon posted:

Does anyone know a quality Pembroke breeder in the Atlanta area, or maybe Vallhund? I have no qualms about driving 3-4 hours so South Georgia, South Carolina, Northern Alabama and Eastern Tennessee are fair game too. I'm looking at a house with a fenced .66 acre lawn and my wife and I will be on different schedules for a while which will work well with puppy training. I can't wait to be out of this apartment and into a house...

Bill & Janet Richardson
Tresaith Corgis
205-822-0999
tresaithcorgis@bellsouth.net
http://www.tresaithcorgis.com/

Her titling on her dogs is unbeatable. She's in the Birmingham, AL area.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
We picked up Pepper just after Christmas. She's 6 months old now and she is scheduled to go in on Friday to get spayed :(

I'm surprised at how quiet she is; she rarely barks. Every morning before our walk, she gives me a nice playful little growl.

She's very submissive and highly socialized, probably a bit TOO socialized, as she runs in the direction of every dog and person she sees. She has to greet everyone. We consider it a work in progress

This was taken the first time we met Pepper. Her and another Corgi were digging a hole in the mud. It's pretty amazing her coat stayed so white throughout the process.

She's laying in a papasan chair covered in an X-mas blanket probably for the last time. Later that day, she jumped from our couch to the chair and knocked it over. To this day, she refuses to go near it

She has good taste! While we were looking away, she stood up on our coffee table and snatched one of the coasters we had on there.

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...

Arzakon posted:

I can ask my breeder about a swedish vallhund breeder down south. Won't get an answer till after Tuesday, Gotta stress they are a different personality then corgis!

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

paddiep posted:

I can ask my breeder about a swedish vallhund breeder down south. Won't get an answer till after Tuesday, Gotta stress they are a different personality then corgis!

Paddie can you explain to me the difference between a swedish vallhund and a pembroke? I'm not very familiar with vallhunds other than some brief googling but if you have one, you'd know great first hand. :D

Terminus
May 6, 2008

abaddonis posted:

This is too cute to be real. :colbert:

Dr. Spaceman
Jul 15, 2007
I want to meet that dad

abaddonis posted:

Oh man your dog is adorable! I love her name too.

Sorry for the stupid question, but is that more of a rare coloring? Most of the Pembrokes I see are usually solid orange/white. Every once in a while though, I will see a Corgi with a dark brown "cape." Those are my favorite. :3:

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

SachielDVangel posted:

Yeah, even in this thread, many of the dogs are poor quality/milled/bought in a pet store because people have no loving clue how to find a good quality dog from a reputable breeder starting from zero. Don't fall into that trap and run your leads on future dogs past us.

To be fair, this thread was originally started as an attempt to find a reputable Cardigan breeder. I don't think there is anyone in this thread who has condoned milled/pet store bought animals, and every effort has been shown to direct people to quality breeders.

larasndar
Nov 30, 2006

by Ozma

anachrodragon posted:

To be fair, this thread was originally started as an attempt to find a reputable Cardigan breeder. I don't think there is anyone in this thread who has condoned milled/pet store bought animals, and every effort has been shown to direct people to quality breeders.

Zombie Dictator's puppy was bought from a pet shop, PI got really upset about it one time. I think that's what Sachiel's referring to :shobon:.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

notsoape posted:

Zombie Dictator's puppy was bought from a pet shop, PI got really upset about it one time. I think that's what Sachiel's referring to :shobon:.

Still that's one case that has some PI history, not "many of the dogs." But whatever, I think the important thing here is that this thread continues to make an effort to direct people to good breeders.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

SachielDVangel posted:

I always agree with what you say, but you also have the beautiful ability to say things in such a cuntastic way.

"Your dog is cute, for a misbred piece of crap that I wouldn't even give the pleasure of using as an rear end towel for my fine Afghan bitch. You're a moron and you probably have a gaping vagina. Good luck with your pet though. Let me know if you need any tips."

and the thing is, you are completely sincere. I love you.

You're the Jordan from Scrubs of PI.
(with a penis)

Pooptron2003 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 19, 2009

Zombiesinmyshower!
Nov 14, 2006

by angerbotSD
I believe Elf Pron's came from a byb or store as well.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor
My boy Cable was adopted, though I'm sure he was a mill/petstore/BYB situation before he came to us.

There are actually an astounding amount of corgis on Petfinder (where I found Cable), though many of them are mixes and weird-looking poorly-bred ones. A lot of people can't get past the "BUNNY BUTT OMG" and get a corgi, only later to realize they are very high-energy, high-maintenance dogs who need a dedicated owner. They are not small, cute lap dogs. They are small, cute, smart little bastards who have enough energy to run three hours and still ask (no, DEMAND) you to play fetch.

Consider adoption first :)

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Dr. Spaceman posted:

Sorry for the stupid question, but is that more of a rare coloring? Most of the Pembrokes I see are usually solid orange/white. Every once in a while though, I will see a Corgi with a dark brown "cape." Those are my favorite. :3:

I don't think so? I've seen quite a few tri-colors around where I live, maybe it is a regional thing? The breeder I got her from loved the tri-color look a little more than the traditional red/white. She had a few red/whites left, but we chose her.

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

I think the blond/white are probably the most common, tri's behind those and then the red/whites being the most rare in my area, at least as far as I've seen.

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...

Eff Jay posted:

Paddie can you explain to me the difference between a swedish vallhund and a pembroke? I'm not very familiar with vallhunds other than some brief googling but if you have one, you'd know great first hand. :D

Hmm, there are alot of differences. I don't know the corgi personality THAT well so whatever I say will be biased. I think vallhunds tend to have more of a 'sweet' temperament, the corgis I have known are more 'me first then you' mindset. Toki (my vallhund) is utterly devoted to whatever it is I'm doing, which is annoying at times. My breeder calls them Velcro dogs and they really are. But then again (just like corgis and every other breed) personalities change from dog to dog.

Based on their history (which is over 1000 yrs old) The Pembroke descended from their line. The debate is still out on that. They are definitely related regardless.

As far as looks, they can have 5 different tail variations. They are smaller then a corgi, slightly longer legged, they can either be gray or red headed. (Toki is grey) Their health is more immaculate (considering they are not bred out by lovely breeders like corgis or many other breeds) some Vals have been known to live for plus 20 yrs. The only thing they are prone to sometimes is an eye issue.

I've always liked corgis (still want a cardi someday) but now that I met and own a vallhund I will always have one. some day I'd love to breed them but I will be the first to admit I don't show my guy and that's a loooooooooong way down the road..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Vallhund

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Dr. Spaceman posted:

I've posted Connor before in PI, and I only have the one picture of him, but here he is again:

Click here for the full 896x672 image.

One of only three Corgis I've known personally. The other two were red and white, a father and daughter with no champion bloodlines to speak of but a very strong working history. All owned by the sister and brother-in-law of a woman my dad dated. I don't know anything about Connor's breeding, but he did have the tri-color markings.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.

Zombiesinmyshower! posted:

I believe Elf Pron's came from a byb or store as well.

I bought Ula from a pet store without knowing any better, and I love her all the same. Doesn't mean I agree with pet store dogs now, though v:shobon:v

Zombie Dictator
Jan 14, 2005

by angerbotSD

elf pr0n posted:

I bought Ula from a pet store without knowing any better, and I love her all the same. Doesn't mean I agree with pet store dogs now, though v:shobon:v

I'm in the same boat. I wish I knew better at the time, but I love Leeloo more than I knew I could love another living creature. Her breeding papers might say 100% pembroke welsh corgi and be full of crap, but you know what? I don't care. What does that matter outside of gloating rights to people I don't even like? "Oh, I see you have a wonderful dog that you love with all your heart, but since she's only 92.5% corgi, you shouldn't dishonor the breed name by calling her a corgi :colbert:".

I lucked out with her because in the 1.5 years I've owned her, the only problem I've had is that she has a very sensitive stomach which was giving her mud butt on occasion. All I needed to do was stop letting her eat too much raw hide or other stuff that wasn't her normal food and it stopped. Granted, getting a dog from a Petland this good is rare, but she's turned out to be the most loving, loyal, friendly, fun, energetic carefree dog I could ever want. Her breed could be "North Eastern Shithead" and I'd still be proud to call her "my little shithead".

:shobon:

But I will say this; the next dog, probably a Boston Terrier, will be coming from a reputable breeder. But first and foremost on the list is a house so Leeloo and Corben (we've already named this non-existent dog) can have more room to run around and play.

And more room on the bed for them to sleep with us. :shobon:

EDIT: FYI, the Petland we bought her from is now out of business. At least I got the chance to load up on 3 bags of Innova at 50+% off beforehand!

Zombie Dictator fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 20, 2009

Zombiesinmyshower!
Nov 14, 2006

by angerbotSD

elf pr0n posted:

Please don't think I was saying that at all. Sachiel said there are a lot poorly bred dogs from not the best places in this thread (in his own rear end in a top hat way) and someone else said there was only one.

Off the top of my head, you were the only person I could remember that 100% came from a not so reputable source, so I was just using you and your little guy as an example that there are other folks in this thread that have made the mistake Sachiel was referencing.

Hope I did not offend, did not mean to imply that you would go back and get another store doggy.

Zombie Dictator posted:

What does that matter outside of gloating rights to people I don't even like? "Oh, I see you have a wonderful dog that you love with all your heart, but since she's only 92.5% corgi, you shouldn't dishonor the breed name by calling her a corgi ".

Health issues - big reason why its important to know an accurate pedigree. A lot of health problems are genetic, and with accurate pedigree records and tests for the dogs, you can often avoid really bad and devastating issues all together.

Also, many of these issues crop up later in life. Just because you made it 1.5 years does not mean Leeloo will not have any problems. Keep an emergency fund still trust me.

Zombiesinmyshower! fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 20, 2009

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees
I always wonder why people make the connection that when Pet Island tells them they bought a dog from a lousy source, it's also assumed that everyone thinks they're stupid for loving the dog and should kill it or something. People are weird.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Regarding the pet store or BYB corgis, you can usually tell which ones they are by a quick glance. Non-foxy face, too-long legs, a nub that is more tail than nub. I don't think anyone is stupid for loving their dog, but I think they need to realize that they could have a hugely expensive problem in their hands a few years down the road. Slipped discs, eye issues, arthritis, vWD, dysplasia. There's one gal here whose badly bred corgi developed dysplasia at just a few years old. Not only is that a heartbreaking diagnosis for the dog, but it can break the owner's pockets. Getting a corgi from a non-reputable source isn't just unethical, it's not a wise financial decision.

Not to say that even well-bred corgis are without issue. The difference in these reputable breeders is threefold: 1) You have less of a chance of problems because they test for the most common issues, 2) You have financial recourse (most/all the purchase price back), and 3) A support system. When my dog was diagnosed with a congenital limb deformity, I immediately got a good chunk of his purchase price back and ideas on where to be taking him for treatment.

Eff Jay posted:

I think the blond/white are probably the most common, tri's behind those and then the red/whites being the most rare in my area, at least as far as I've seen.

Blond/white isn't one of their coat colors. There are red/whites (which can range in the reds... your "blonds" are actually reds), tri colors, and sables.

Cardigans come in red/white, black/white, merle, sable, and brindle.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

anachrodragon posted:

Still that's one case that has some PI history, not "many of the dogs." But whatever, I think the important thing here is that this thread continues to make an effort to direct people to good breeders.

Half, if not most of the corgis posted here are not well bred animals.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Pooptron2003 posted:

I always agree with what you say, but you also have the beautiful ability to say things in such a cuntastic way.

"Your dog is cute, for a misbred piece of crap that I wouldn't even give the pleasure of using as an rear end towel for my fine Afghan bitch. You're a moron and you probably have a gaping vagina. Good luck with your pet though. Let me know if you need any tips."

and the thing is, you are completely sincere. I love you.

You're the Jordan from Scrubs of PI.
(with a penis)

I like the "rear end towel" part that was my favorite part. :3:

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Miss Indy posted:

That's a bummer, but it seems that folks who have been involved with PI know better now, and are interested in working with reputable breeders in the future. I wouldn't want anyone to feel that they're being punished or ostracized of course.

Truth be told, I probably would have gotten a rescue dog from a shelter (be that previously milled/byb or corgi mix) if there had been any corgis available in nearby shelters. As it is, we couldn't find a shelter dog, and we're really glad for the advice we got here in terms of breeders. Thank you for pointing us in the direction of C-Myste, Miss Indy!

paddiep posted:

Hmm, there are alot of differences. I don't know the corgi personality THAT well so whatever I say will be biased. I think vallhunds tend to have more of a 'sweet' temperament, the corgis I have known are more 'me first then you' mindset. Toki (my vallhund) is utterly devoted to whatever it is I'm doing, which is annoying at times. My breeder calls them Velcro dogs and they really are. But then again (just like corgis and every other breed) personalities change from dog to dog.

There are differences between Pembroke and Cardigan personalities too. In general Pembrokes tend to have a reputation for being the kind of dogs that love everyone, while Cardigans have a reputation as more of a "one owner" or "one family" type of dog. I believe Cardigans do have a bit of history being used as guard dogs, and I can see the protective mentality in Josie even though she's only 15 weeks old.

There was actually sort of a funny bonding moment between her and the cat last weekend. This big black tom cat came into our yard and started marking around the yard and patio. Our cat, who is an inside cat but still views the yard as his territory, ran over to the sliding glass door and started growling. Josie perked up and ran over and sat down right next to him, and the next thing I know she lets out this low rumbling WWWUFF with a growl at the end. It was pretty funny and also drat cute.

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Miss Indy posted:

Blond/white isn't one of their coat colors. There are red/whites (which can range in the reds... your "blonds" are actually reds), tri colors, and sables.

Cardigans come in red/white, black/white, merle, sable, and brindle.

Thanks for pointing that out Miss Indy; my dad always called the corgis he had growing up a blond, so that's where I picked it up. I'll have to go call him and tell him the difference now :D

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

anachrodragon posted:

There was actually sort of a funny bonding moment between her and the cat last weekend. This big black tom cat came into our yard and started marking around the yard and patio. Our cat, who is an inside cat but still views the yard as his territory, ran over to the sliding glass door and started growling. Josie perked up and ran over and sat down right next to him, and the next thing I know she lets out this low rumbling WWWUFF with a growl at the end. It was pretty funny and also drat cute.

That's really cute, it sounds like a typical Corgi warning bark as I like to call it. Nacho does it all the time when he sees or hears something "suspicious."

Here's a cute video with many of the typical sounds Corgis make. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tvwqTfES3o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Miss Indy posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this. :\ Hopefully they'll make better decisions next time they decide to purchase a dog, tho.

• Locked thread