Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shipwrecks
Dec 31, 2008

Original Gamer posted:

What about these people: http://www.celestialstarkennel.com/

I've been wanting to own a corgi for some time, and this is one of the only breeders I can find in Florida. So just based on the site, would you say they are reputable? Thanks.

Please stay far, far away from this breeder.

The dogs are not shown, they have no performance titles and there are no health clearances listed for any of the dogs. She says that she has "quality, healthy dogs that represent the breed well" and that "showing is not for everyone" but how can she know this for sure if she does not show, work her dogs or health test? Please. She has the breed standard on her site, but the conformation of her own dogs is extremely wishy-washy. Some of these dogs have horrible conformation, and are not good examples of the breed. All the dogs listed under 'competition' and 'obedience' are just the puppies she's sold, not even her own dogs.

The dogs are dual AKC/CKC registered, but not with the Canadian Kennel Club, but the Continental. This is pretty much a BYB/puppy mill registry, no reputable breeder would be registering their dogs with the group. She is also not a member of any regional or national breed clubs.

Looks like she only uses her own dogs for breeding. In reputable breeders you generally won't see this, since they will connect with each other and 'borrow' dogs all the time. You also will not usually see more than one or two litters on the ground at one time.

She lets people chose their own puppies from a picture, looks like pretty much first come first serve. A reputable breeder will match a puppy to you, not let the puppy buyer choose a puppy based on color or how cute it is. She dodges the question of a health guarantee by saying that the puppies are vet checked and UTD on shots and wormings. This is not a health guarantee. This is basic puppy care.

I'm sure somebody else can find more things wrong but I can't take the horrible design of the site anymore. Please do not get a dog from this woman just because she is close to home. There are other, more reputable breeders that will be worth a 3-4 hour drive or will ship to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Centigrade posted:

Please stay far, far away from this breeder.

Agreed, she talks a good game until you get to her FAQ page.

quote:

Q: Do you show your dogs?

A: No, we have quality, healthy dogs that represent the breed well. Showing is not for everyone and in my case due to asthma problems I can’t show….I would love to but just can’t at this time.

Why does asthma affect showing a dog but not raising, breeding, exercising, etc dogs? I think she likely has the best of intentions and thinks she isn't a terrible BYB, but the rest of the FAQ page doesn't reflect well on her.

quote:

Q: Do you have a health guarantee?

Each puppy has been seen by our vet and issued a health certificate. Puppies are up-to-date on all vet - recommended immunizations and wormings. We do not do Bordetella immunizations due to problems occuring with these immunizations in the past.

They have been started on heartworm medication and will go home clean with Frontline Spray for fleas. Click here for our Kennel Purchase Contract.

As said above, this is nonsense. No mention of any sort of hip or other genetics testing or anything else that actually counts as a health guarantee. She does say they will take their dogs back at any time of their lives and request you do rather than send it to a rescue.

quote:

We do have a problem with the dirt road we live on. It has caused problems with people being able to visit. I want people to realize there are times when a 4 wheel drive vehicle is necessary. Due to the road conditions, I usually have everyone meet at a nearby park where you can meet and play with your puppy. This way no one needs to worry about the road.

A little shady.

quote:

Q: Why do you breed dogs?

A: We love these dogs. They are our "furkids".

And they are possibly furries.

Original Gamer
Sep 13, 2002

I appreciate the insight. I thought right off the bat things were shady when she said she takes pictures when they are first born and then you send in a $100 non-refundable deposit to reserve the puppy you like...in the picture...at 1 week old. I'm sorry, but I want to be able to play with a litter and find a dog based on personality.

It's been really hard though, finding breeders in Florida. I go to the pet store and play with corgis, but know better than to buy from there. So I start looking for breeders but now I find out most breeders are not reputable. Argh, what a headache.

shipwrecks
Dec 31, 2008

Have you tried looking on the breed club's website? It's a good starting point to find a reputable breeder. This member list lists members/breeders of the club that you can get into contact with. There's also a regional club in Florida, Sunshine Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club that has breeder referrals. If you're open to an older rescue dog the SPWCC also has a rescue organization.

Another good step is to start going to dog shows and other events. Here you can meet breeders and others involved in the breed, ask questions, and see lots of corgis. You can use the AKC events search or Infodog to find events around you.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Centigrade posted:

Have you tried looking on the breed club's website? It's a good starting point to find a reputable breeder. This member list lists members/breeders of the club that you can get into contact with. There's also a regional club in Florida, Sunshine Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club that has breeder referrals. If you're open to an older rescue dog the SPWCC also has a rescue organization.

Another good step is to start going to dog shows and other events. Here you can meet breeders and others involved in the breed, ask questions, and see lots of corgis. You can use the AKC events search or Infodog to find events around you.

If you do decide to go with a rescue, Sunshine is a wonderful organization with a great placement program. I've met several of the people (and dogs!) involved at a dog park and at the FL Corgi Picnic, and my good friends adopted their dog through Sunshine.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Echoing rescue. I'm in central FL and got my puppy through the Sunshine Pembroke Welsh Corgi rescue. I actually was in contact with the Celestial Star lady to feel her out, and here's a million things wrong with the way she does things, including but not limited to her not allowing home visits (don't want your car getting stuck) and pimping out Iams as her food of choice.

Also as far as the breeder goes I must've spaced because I saw them showing and saw the hip cert results/ tests pending but it didn't occur to me "hurf they should wait until it's done to breed them first." Retracting my comment about them being good. This is also why you don't want to trust a breeder's website as it's easy to talk the good talk.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Original Gamer posted:

I appreciate the insight. I thought right off the bat things were shady when she said she takes pictures when they are first born and then you send in a $100 non-refundable deposit to reserve the puppy you like...in the picture...at 1 week old. I'm sorry, but I want to be able to play with a litter and find a dog based on personality.

It's been really hard though, finding breeders in Florida. I go to the pet store and play with corgis, but know better than to buy from there. So I start looking for breeders but now I find out most breeders are not reputable. Argh, what a headache.

I got my Pem from someone listed on the PWCCA website, without having seen the litter. It actually went amazingly well... I filled out a huge stack of paperwork, and the breeder was constantly in touch with me as the puppies developed and gained personalities. I had my hopes on one particular puppy, but in the end she said that its personality would not match with my lifestyle. So I got one that was more laid back, and he's been a perfect fit into our family. My breeder was in Missouri, and she flew him to us as cargo. I was certain he'd be shaken up by the whole thing, but when we popped the crate open he bounced out as if he'd flown a million times before.

Anyway, check out the PWCCA website, and don't be afraid if the breeder is not in your state. Quality dogs are worth the extra effort, both in saving you medical bills and having better personalities.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Scrotos posted:

So I just bought a house and have always wanted a Pembroke welsh corgi, but I have 3 cats and was wondering if you guys could tell me if you thought 3 cats and a lovely corgi could get along?

I know that it would mostly be based around introductions and all that, but was wondering if anyone here has cats and a corgi or thinks that the corgi would just try to heard the cats all day and they would never get along.

I have already been talking for a year or so with one breeder, but am probably going to end up trying to rescue a Pembroke welsh corgi instead.

Going with a rescue is usually a wise choice. We bought Nacho from a breeder but adopted our other animals from rescues.

Nacho and Sushi (the cat) get along famously. Sushi is very much the boss of Nacho and they both know it. Nacho was 10 months old when we adopted Sushi, who was just 12 weeks old himself. It took a little while of working with Nacho before they were comfortable with each other, but now they're great. They don't hang out all that often, but any time Sushi feels like playing Nacho loves the attention. And now for cute puppy / kitty videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU1ywbJsv00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v_GPrNTgjU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNNaRGB_pIk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ3mdJrzcC0

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

Original Gamer posted:

What about these people: http://www.celestialstarkennel.com/

I've been wanting to own a corgi for some time, and this is one of the only breeders I can find in Florida. So just based on the site, would you say they are reputable? Thanks.

If you're willing to a bit of driving, you might look into this breeder. They're outside of Huntsville, Alabama, and from what I've read on their website, they seem on the up and up. They even have both Cardigans and Pembrokes.
I mean just look at this dog:

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

lu lu lu posted:

If you're willing to a bit of driving, you might look into this breeder. They're outside of Huntsville, Alabama, and from what I've read on their website, they seem on the up and up. They even have both Cardigans and Pembrokes.

I mostly just lurk PI since I can't accommodate a dog yet, but I would like to see what you dog experts think of this breeder's dogs. The breeder actually does genetic health testing for her dogs, and posts the results on the web, which is great. But how does one interpret the results of these tests?

Their next Pembroke litter will be from this dog and this one. The OFA records aren't easy to decipher if you aren't a veterinarian, but it looks like both dogs are at risk of degenerative myelopathy, whatever that is. Is this bad?

Also, one of their dog's OFA records list GENOTYPIC CARRIER FOR VON WILLEBRAND. That also sounds bad.

Ator fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 25, 2009

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Aenovae posted:

it looks like both dogs are at risk of degenerative myelopathy, whatever that is. Is this bad?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degenerative_myelopathy

It's a degenerative nerve disease that causes eventual paralysis, so yeah it's bad. :(

I'd really wonder why they'd be breeding two known at-risk dogs (or did I get that wrong?). I know my breeder had a case of DM show up in a dog from one of her earliest litters, that's now 13 years old. Now she's testing all of her dogs and only breeding carriers to non-carriers.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

abaddonis posted:

I know most of you aren't in the area, but I figured that any word that gets out is better than no word.

A close friend of our breeder had 2 red/white pembroke corgi puppies stolen from the pen in their backyard this weekend. She said they were stolen between 2 and 3pm on Saturday while they were out running errands. She asked us if we could get the word out. The puppies were stolen from Kinsale, Virginia (eastern Virginia). Whomever stole them will most likely try to move them somewhere else where they can sell them, so if you're anywhere in Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, keep on the look out. If you find them, contact local authorities and the breeder. Her information is at the following site.

http://www.cloverhillfarm.com/Clover%20Hill%20Farm/PWC.htm

I believe the 2 stolen are the two in the bottom 2 pictures up at the top.

The puppies in those pictures, 2 little girls, were stolen. That is right. I have the flyer our breeder sent us. She said that they'd probably go to Richmond, Fredericksburg, or NOVA. I've got flyers up with our phone number as well. Poor little girls need their final shots and worming.

Just curious, what part of VA are you from that you know about this too?

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

xboobookittifkxx posted:

The puppies in those pictures, 2 little girls, were stolen. That is right. I have the flyer our breeder sent us. She said that they'd probably go to Richmond, Fredericksburg, or NOVA. I've got flyers up with our phone number as well. Poor little girls need their final shots and worming.

Just curious, what part of VA are you from that you know about this too?

I'm in Northern Virginia. I went down to Kinsale to pick up my Corgi, who is from a friend of the breeder. Our breeder sent us a copy of the flyer and asked us to get the word out.

Here is our puppy (9 months when photographed) Pepper. She loves just jumping and running around with other dogs. She is around 18-19 lbs, and I'm concerned that she is a bit undersized. Will she put on another 4-5 lbs so she'll be in the normal adult range?

Here she is with one of her bigger buddies Blue.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor
My corgi weighs about 23 lbs. as an adult at three years old. I get asked if he's a puppy all the time (I think it hurts his feelings). I think some corgis are just a bit smaller, but that's a lot better than those fatass corgis you see a lot who weigh 50 lbs. and pant when they walk to their food dish.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, I assume she'll grow a little more in the next few months, she's only 10 months old. I'm just a little paranoid. I used to worry all the time about her hips, but it looks like she is fine. She only "bunny hops" when she is running and she has no pain, limp, problem jumping up onto furniture. I know I'm not a vet and those aren't the only signs, but I'm under the impression those are the big tell-tales of hip dysplasia.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
When Ace is old enough I'm going to get him x-rayed just to be sure since his genetic lineage is a big blank. He doesn't have any movement issues or pain issues, but who knows. Anything weird I'd probably bee-line to the vet (that is if they aren't already sick of seeing me.)

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

abaddonis posted:

Yeah, I assume she'll grow a little more in the next few months, she's only 10 months old. I'm just a little paranoid. I used to worry all the time about her hips, but it looks like she is fine. She only "bunny hops" when she is running and she has no pain, limp, problem jumping up onto furniture. I know I'm not a vet and those aren't the only signs, but I'm under the impression those are the big tell-tales of hip dysplasia.

Bunny hopping at that young of an age is a real concern. That bunny hopping is going to progress as she ages, especially if you keep her at a "normal" weight. She really needs to be a few lbs underweight so as to avoid putting unnecessary stress on her joints. Were I you, I'd see about getting her hips checked ASAP.

Anyway... two new pics of my boys and an update:

My corgis have been keeping me on my toes. Spoiled brats that they are, they really did not appreciate the transition of me from being a stay at home student/wife to working full-time. They've guilt-tripped me into trips every other week or so to the premium pet food store for high quality chews. I usually get a mixed bag of parts: "bone shaped" knuckles, hollow (marrow-stuffed) beef bones, pizzles, compressed rawhide, knuckle joints, Merrick and other high quality wet foods, and the occasional raw bison joint. They still get run with the laser, food out of puzzle toys, but we've just dramatically increased the amount of chewing.

I keep a close eye on my dogs, and I don't like them to be even a pound or two above their norms. Zeke's arthritis is really progressing, and Deramaxx doesn't work on him anymore. We decided to go with a heavy duty course of Adaquan, which is a series of injections that start off at twice a week. It was a huge surprise for me that he had gained almost 5lbs! For a dog that typically hovers around 18-22, that was quite a bit! He is not fat by any means, but he is now at what I would consider an unhealthy weight for a dog that has the orthopedic problems that he does. His coat is much sleeker, though, and he's acting happier. So maybe less pizzle and more of the jerky style bones :)

We took a tricks class a few weeks back, and both dogs are consistently jumping through hoops, sitting pretty, hitting a Staples "Easy" button when placed in front of them, jumping into boxes, bowing, rolling over, etc. It's nice to have a few things extra that they can do, and they love to learn as many new behaviors as possible.

Next weekend we are turning off our cell phones and taking them out to the mountains. I don't know how the hell they know what "camping" means, but as soon as I said it both dogs ran and sat by the front door to go. They're going to take a bear and a cougar down each, they are certain of this.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Miss Indy posted:

Bunny hopping at that young of an age is a real concern. That bunny hopping is going to progress as she ages, especially if you keep her at a "normal" weight. She really needs to be a few lbs underweight so as to avoid putting unnecessary stress on her joints. Were I you, I'd see about getting her hips checked ASAP.

Anyway... two new pics of my boys and an update:

My corgis have been keeping me on my toes. Spoiled brats that they are, they really did not appreciate the transition of me from being a stay at home student/wife to working full-time. They've guilt-tripped me into trips every other week or so to the premium pet food store for high quality chews. I usually get a mixed bag of parts: "bone shaped" knuckles, hollow (marrow-stuffed) beef bones, pizzles, compressed rawhide, knuckle joints, Merrick and other high quality wet foods, and the occasional raw bison joint. They still get run with the laser, food out of puzzle toys, but we've just dramatically increased the amount of chewing.

I keep a close eye on my dogs, and I don't like them to be even a pound or two above their norms. Zeke's arthritis is really progressing, and Deramaxx doesn't work on him anymore. We decided to go with a heavy duty course of Adaquan, which is a series of injections that start off at twice a week. It was a huge surprise for me that he had gained almost 5lbs! For a dog that typically hovers around 18-22, that was quite a bit! He is not fat by any means, but he is now at what I would consider an unhealthy weight for a dog that has the orthopedic problems that he does. His coat is much sleeker, though, and he's acting happier. So maybe less pizzle and more of the jerky style bones :)

We took a tricks class a few weeks back, and both dogs are consistently jumping through hoops, sitting pretty, hitting a Staples "Easy" button when placed in front of them, jumping into boxes, bowing, rolling over, etc. It's nice to have a few things extra that they can do, and they love to learn as many new behaviors as possible.

Next weekend we are turning off our cell phones and taking them out to the mountains. I don't know how the hell they know what "camping" means, but as soon as I said it both dogs ran and sat by the front door to go. They're going to take a bear and a cougar down each, they are certain of this.

:(

Such a bummer to hear about Zeke's arthritis getting worse. He's such a beautiful and happy looking dog. I'm glad they'll have fun camping though.

It's interesting to know that 18-22 lbs is Zeke's normal weight. I've been wondering about what weight range should be for Cardigans. Josie was around 24 lbs the last time she was weighed at the vet's office (maybe a month ago). The vet said she's "on the lean side" but I think the vet is used to seeing chunky dogs. We asked if she needed to gain weight and the vet was like "not really". She eats about one large can of wet dog food per day, plus some kibble if she's interested in getting it out of treat toys.

Also on bunny hopping, I hope not all hopping is bad. Josie will hop sometimes when she's really excited chasing something in the yard, like squirrels... or lately rabbits.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

anachrodragon posted:

:(

Such a bummer to hear about Zeke's arthritis getting worse. He's such a beautiful and happy looking dog. I'm glad they'll have fun camping though.

It's interesting to know that 18-22 lbs is Zeke's normal weight. I've been wondering about what weight range should be for Cardigans. Josie was around 24 lbs the last time she was weighed at the vet's office (maybe a month ago). The vet said she's "on the lean side" but I think the vet is used to seeing chunky dogs. We asked if she needed to gain weight and the vet was like "not really". She eats about one large can of wet dog food per day, plus some kibble if she's interested in getting it out of treat toys.

Also on bunny hopping, I hope not all hopping is bad. Josie will hop sometimes when she's really excited chasing something in the yard, like squirrels... or lately rabbits.

Zeke is really small for a Cardi. Cardis really are chunkier than Pembrokes, and weigh in the range of 25-38lbs. It's always better to err on the side of lighter, I agree with your vet. On hopping- not all hopping is bad. Bouncing dogs are happy dogs! But the bunny hopping we're talking about is like a two-legged limp. You can't really mistake it for a bounding dog. It visually looks as though the dog's rear legs aren't working properly. If you're really worried, try and grab a video of it. Josie came from a great breeder, and I'm sure her parents have good hips.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

abaddonis posted:

University of Penn - Vet School is doing a study on hips. I'm not quite sure all of the qualifications that you need to have. I think the age is 4 though. And they do x-rays of the corgi's hips. They're only looking for Pem's though.

Funny, we were just up in NOVA for a small corgi meetup. The lady we met up with lives a few minutes from Duke Street.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Miss Indy posted:

What I meant was, when she trots and walks, she uses all 4 legs independently. Only when she starts running and picking up speed is when she starts using the back legs together.

That being said, what is the ballpark price for x-rays and how old should they be when you get them?

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Miss Indy posted:

Zeke is really small for a Cardi. Cardis really are chunkier than Pembrokes, and weigh in the range of 25-38lbs. It's always better to err on the side of lighter, I agree with your vet. On hopping- not all hopping is bad. Bouncing dogs are happy dogs! But the bunny hopping we're talking about is like a two-legged limp. You can't really mistake it for a bounding dog. It visually looks as though the dog's rear legs aren't working properly. If you're really worried, try and grab a video of it. Josie came from a great breeder, and I'm sure her parents have good hips.

No I'm sure it's fine, it's more like enthusiastic bouncing... and like I said, she only does it when there's something really exciting to chase. It just wasn't clear what kind of hopping you guys were discussing.

We need to take some new pictures of her, she's really growing up quick. We've been trying out some of the local dog parks and also doing doggy daycare about once a week, to work on her socialization. She's a bit shy around other (especially larger) dogs, but she's getting over it.

One thing that's interesting is that she's really social with people. I mean she loves people, which is great but I'd always thought Cardis had a reputation for being a bit more reserved than Pems. I'm thinking the temperament may be a characteristic of the C-Myste dogs, because apparently her grandmother and several of her relatives are therapy dogs.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.
Everytime I see pictures of Zeke it makes me want to add a Cardigan Welsh Corgi to the mix!

Poor Zeke :(

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

Our male cats go after anachro's underwear and Josie chooses to go after anything having to do with my feet (shoes, socks, etc). Pets are so weird.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

londerwost posted:

Our male cats go after anachro's underwear and Josie chooses to go after anything having to do with my feet (shoes, socks, etc). Pets are so weird.

Pepper LOVES socks. Heaven forbid we leave a pair on the floor

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Frank can't resist socks either. If I sit on the bed with a pair next to me to put on without fail they're gone in NO TIME and I'm looking for him under the bed with a sock ball in his mouth.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
Triple decker pets!

This is a kinda crappy picture with it bluring and the contrast but drat it's cute.

The weird thing about the socks is that Josie doesn't bother with anachro's. She only grabs mine.

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 28, 2009

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

londerwost posted:

The weird thing about the socks is that Josie doesn't bother with anachro's. She only grabs mine.

It's because of his manly feet smell.

White1ce
Jul 31, 2003
IT IS YOUR CIVIC DUTY AS AN SA FORUMS MEMBER TO RUIN ALL OF THE THREADS I POST. IF I EVER POST A THREAD, TROLL IT!!!
My Bentley. He is about 2 1/2 years old and has a huge tongue that hangs out of his mouth sometimes...

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006
i'm really an '03, i swear
Meet June. She is a 4.5 month old corgi/lab mix currently at 21 lbs. She is my first puppy/dog ever and has been an awesome, awesome dog. She gets a lot of attention wherever we go, and it doesn't help that she absolutely loves every single person she comes into contact with. Her ears are her funniest feature by far. When we first got her they hung forward like a lab, but after a month rotated into a "wing" position where they stick out straight to the side. It's hilarious because they bounce up and down perfectly when she walks and runs. Her ears will also randomly stick up into corgi mode, usually just one at at time and it will rotate around like a radar dish.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

sativa dreams posted:

Meet June. She is a 4.5 month old corgi/lab mix currently at 21 lbs.

I was going to post my new dog later but my dog is almost her twin, just a little darker. She is ~11 weeks old and pegged as a Corgi/Hound mix by the shelter, but Ive been feeling Corgi/Lab or Corgi/Golden Retriever from the way she looks.

A wonderful puppy, just learning how to play tug of war but she knows how to sit, when to not beg for food, and loves her crate.

Her right ear was floppy when we got her but has perked up more recently. She is at 13 pounds right now and my wife hopes she stays the same but I have a feeling she will get a bit bigger.

We are both Irish, own a red dog, and like red beer. Her name: Killian

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I fail to believe any dog is related to a corgi when its legs are longer than its face.

Cute mutts though.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Tristesse posted:

I fail to believe any dog is related to a corgi when its legs are longer than its face.

Cute mutts though.

Let me live the dream too :(

kookoocachoo
Jan 9, 2007

Tristesse posted:

Cute mutts though.

Sorry, but I fail to see how the ratio of a dogs leg to its face has anything to do with what breed(s) it may be. They're mixed with a Labrador (or some other tall dog) of course thier legs will be longer! Duh. GIS corgidor, corgi/lab whatever, and you will see a lot of similar looking mutts.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

kookoocachoo posted:

Sorry, but I fail to see how the ratio of a dogs leg to its face has anything to do with what breed(s) it may be. They're mixed with a Labrador (or some other tall dog) of course thier legs will be longer! Duh. GIS corgidor, corgi/lab whatever, and you will see a lot of similar looking mutts.

It's a corgi joke welcome to pet island where jokes happen based on breed characteristics. I wasn't actually questioning their heritage.

Also corgidor is the worst of the designer dog names.

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006
i'm really an '03, i swear

Arzakon posted:

I was going to post my new dog later but my dog is almost her twin, just a little darker. She is ~11 weeks old and pegged as a Corgi/Hound mix by the shelter, but Ive been feeling Corgi/Lab or Corgi/Golden Retriever from the way she looks.

A wonderful puppy, just learning how to play tug of war but she knows how to sit, when to not beg for food, and loves her crate.

Her right ear was floppy when we got her but has perked up more recently. She is at 13 pounds right now and my wife hopes she stays the same but I have a feeling she will get a bit bigger.

We are both Irish, own a red dog, and like red beer. Her name: Killian

Wow, your dog does look incredibly similar to mine! My dog was also the same size at the same age, so I'm afraid your wife is in for a bit of a disappointment if she thinks she won't get any bigger. From what I've read of people with similar mixes, you can expect our dogs to top out around 35 pounds, and so far thats about what mine is on track for. She sure hasn't gotten much taller though, its mainly just been filling out her frame. I'm happy with that though, I've always loved golden labs and retrievers, but wasn't ready for a dog of that size. Mine is the perfect compromise it seems, as she'll do all the big dog stuff, but I can still grab her and pick her up for an easy bear hug and she won't break the bank with her food eating, as I'm already supporting two cats.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
With mixes there's really no surefire way of telling how big/ small they're going to get so it's very likely it'll be much bigger or smaller than your mix. Even puppies of the same little of mutts have been known to vary greatly.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Tristesse posted:

With mixes there's really no surefire way of telling how big/ small they're going to get so it's very likely it'll be much bigger or smaller than your mix. Even puppies of the same little of mutts have been known to vary greatly.

This.

My Corgi seems to be the smallest of her litter. Her siblings all seemed to be a few lbs heavier. I can't imagine seeing Pepper grow much more, and she slightly over 18lbs right now.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Well, decently bred purebreds actually are supposed to be in a specific range as size/ weight is considered a breed characteristic and anyone who is breeding dogs that don't really conform to that (like giant or teacup sizes) aren't really reputable breeders. Mixes are really going to be a crapshoot of traits between whatever the parents are, which is why you can never really tell until after a dog has grown up how large a mutt will be, what kind of coat it will have, and all the other things "designer dog breeders" try to sell people on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Scrotos posted:

So I just bought a house and have always wanted a Pembroke welsh corgi, but I have 3 cats and was wondering if you guys could tell me if you thought 3 cats and a lovely corgi could get along?

I know that it would mostly be based around introductions and all that, but was wondering if anyone here has cats and a corgi or thinks that the corgi would just try to heard the cats all day and they would never get along.

I have already been talking for a year or so with one breeder, but am probably going to end up trying to rescue a Pembroke welsh corgi instead.
If you got a puppy the cats MIGHT not have much of a problem with it, but adult cats are their own people, and if they really don't like dogs, they'll never like yours - they'll just teach her to stay the gently caress away from their claws.

My family's corgi grew up with a cat and they were best friends, however later in life the cat got hit and died, and our dog always considered every cat to be her best friend, so she'd often go tearing off after a random cat, and get swiped. I was always worried they'd gouge her in the eye but mostly her nose got clawed up.

I do not think a rescue dog is a good idea for a cat with 3 houses, you're begging for a disaster of epic proportions. There is no way you'll know how your cats will react to a dog, or how a potentially abused dog will react to the cats, or the utter chaos that may happen as soon as you bring it through the front door.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 9, 2009

• Locked thread